Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm still confused how get to a complete movie and then decide not to release it.

The movie is complete, right?

the normal tax write-offs explanation is a little incomplete I think - your costs are basically always deductable against income when calculating taxes on profits etc, doesn't matter if you release the thing or not. I've seen a few other ideas floated, not sure which are more true/relevant:

* There are additional costs to get to release (marketing, packaging etc) that wouldn't be recouped by income. Seems unlikely to me in most cases unless the film is actually quite unfinished

* Additional fixed payments become due to artists, contractors etc on release. Also seems unlikely, fix your contracts if this is true! % of income based clauses wouldn't trigger this.

* If you release a film the costs are applied against your income for tax purposes over several years, but if you cancel it then they occur immediately. This is good for you twice over: you might know you are making a profit this year, but worry you won't next, and money now is worth more than in the future (doubly so when calculating your bonus as CFO of megacorp X)

The last one seems most likely to be a big factor to me in these decisions, and the obvious fix of forcing production costs to immediately accrue screws over small studios that don't release multiple films a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU