Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can get taking bland corporate mascots serious because it's crazy easy to taint water, but it's wild that the lore-laden spiky sad boys are taken so deadly serious.
Cloud has spoken to Donald Duck and Lightning tried to sell me Prada. We're over the dork line here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It ranges between indifference to death rage on my end.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
3 was just a bunch of poo poo that happened with no through line and I saw it in the theater with my nephew and wanted to die.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's kind of a theme with Illumination given that's kinda how the Mario movie's described. The visuals are great and there's lots of good gags but the stories don't got a lot of connecting tissue, clearly more thrown together from setpieces than really plotted out.

I watched Mario in theaters on edibles and had an existential crisis about this and what actually quantifies a "film."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mr. Lobe posted:

In jokers case, it was a cost cutting move. His design was simplified to make him easier to animate. Might have been for the others, don't recall their design changes well enough to comment.

It's definitely this. They were all streamlined, but I don't actually recall if the animation quality changed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Since they're being so publicly indignant about it, I would be seriously surprised if an employee doesn't copy the whole thing, store it for a few years, then leak it.

After the treatment Pantheon S1 got, a few of us got spooked and I know personal copies of both seasons exist. We have to protect the loving YEARS we invest into these projects.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Larryb posted:

What happened to Pantheon? I only watched the series for the first time fairly recently

So it started as a 2 season order, produced by AMC and developed at Titmouse. Story and design rolled off in Q1 21, S1 premiered Q3 21, S2 was fully completed in Q4 21. But by the time S1 dropped, the head at AMC had swapped and as is customary, she buried the poo poo out of the previous head's babies. There was zero advertisement, episodes were released out of order, and then weeks after S2 finished production AMC switched heads again and S1 disappeared completely from streaming with no warning. Like, folks were mid-watch and suddenly couldn't watch the next episode.

When we had our little wrap party in... April 22, I think? You could only watch S1 and only through pirating. We were told AMC was at least shopping it. Then S1 suddenly showed up on Amazon and Apple about 6 months later. S2 showed up randomly last year only in Australia? I think? S2 has never been officially released Stateside. But also it's all been taken down now, so :shrug:. To be honest, I lost track of what the hell was going on last year. They don't tell us anything, we just stumble across it.

But also on behalf of my crew, please pirate Pantheon! We were all really proud of it and just want it to be seen.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can't think of an interest of humanity that doesn't have a fervently vicious subset because hey, there are assholes in every group and assholes gonna rear end in a top hat. Cars, phones, computers, dog breeds, clothing brands, forms of therapy, mental or physical impairments, gender identity, religion, forms of government, hot dog toppings, pizza...

We literally kill each other all the times because of "opinion that doesn't affect me but I don't like it." Ghost Leviathan mentioned sports, where fans have repeatedly gone on rampage because their team won/lost. I was just reading about the Straw Hat Riots of 1922 where people were getting attacked en masse for wearing straw hats after September 15th.

We always, always do this poo poo because a cause makes people with too much anger feel righteous, even when the cause is loving stupid.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I guess my ace rear end is ace because two hot people loving with no romantic build-up strikes me the same as that 45 minute action sequence in Man of Steel: This is dumb and boring and if I want to watch toys smash I'll go babysit my nephew.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Gomez and Morticia is the most perfect, ideal romantic relationship in all of fiction and you know they gently caress every drat moment they can and you'll never need it proven to you because goddamn obviously, look at their insane chemistry.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

"What if Wall-E, but just the first act?" fixes all my problems with Wall-E.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Showrunner friend told me 75% of our industry is currently unemployed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also give shape-shift boy something to do. Let the teen girls go nuts.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wonder if they ever definitively decide whether you're supposed to relate to Velma or not. It felt like they were trying for "rear end in a top hat who tells it like it is," but then she'd say some abhorrent MAGA-adjacent things and, like... uh...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm going to watch it when it comes out on streaming because my morbid curiosity is absolute peak, but it sounds like they took what should have been 3 acts (Everyone should have their wishes > Release all the wishes > Ooh, gotta fix that, that was a BIG mistake) and just chopped it off at Act 2.

Maybe it's not as fanciful, but "You're not going to get everything you want and that's okay." is a fine message. Monsters U did it well.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My sisters and I showed my nephew Cinderella recently and we all enjoyed how much Lucifer moved like our tubby tortie. You can tell there were some fat kitty studies taken very seriously.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

TwoPair posted:

oh noooo what a shaaaame.

(okay this is actually the first time I've heard of Big Nate so maybe that was an actual shame but I cannot bring myself to mourn the loss of the Rugrats reboot)

e: okay after a minute of thinking okay I do feel bad for the artists' having their hard work being just flushed into the ether no matter if I think the shows themselves are any good...

Eh... I freelanced on Rugrats and the studio stranglehold on it didn't give me much to sink my teeth into. I got paid and I'm fine with that. :shrug:

Maybe it's because it's all been TV animation, but I kinda loving hate working 3D. I don't like budget being a primary consideration when I Draw Thing, or having to scour Shotgrid for any possible reuse/reskin of someone else's work. It feels way more production work than design work.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Okay, seen Wish now and I have a quesrion: Why does Asha keep insisting Star doesn't grant wishes when that's literally all it does the whole film?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Soul was really disappointing for spending most of a spirit of inspiration/meaning of life in death story on ugly cat body swap hijinks.
How do you make a cat ugly. They are piles of triangles with massive eyes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

galenanorth posted:

I don't remember that, but at the end Asha says that Star has to return to the sky to grant other people's wishes

She said it at least twice, one of the times being when she introduced Star to her friends. I remember thinking it was weird since it was after the animal song where she witnessed full force what Star does.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
GOOD.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Electric Phantasm posted:

This got a community note for those who missed it. The images came from a site made by the students of Gobelins.

I don't quite understand this. It says it's a anti-bullying book project by Gobelins students, so is this condoned by the school or just an outside alumni project?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mystes posted:

I think the point is that "a student project by students at gobelins used ai" is different from what was implied by "the most famous french art school gobelins is using AI for their site and advertising" regardless of whether you feel that they should be allowed to use ai for student projects?

Right, I'm just not entirely clear on how much involvement the school actually has here. Whether this is a class project with instructor oversight vs. something students initiated on their own and the school is providing publicity have hugely different culpability levels.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

... Okay, that's pretty good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm just gonna throw out that it's waaaaay loving harder and much more time consuming to tweak a flat image. Am I correct in assuming AI doesn't use layers?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm just thinking of all the notes you get and it seems... impossible.

"Lighten the shadows 20%."
"We need this scene in daytime pallette A and sunset pallette C."
"Give me one with blue and one with purple lining and we'll choose."
"Add a terminator to the light from the windows."
"We need a 5-point and interior detail on that Jeep turn."
"That chair moves in scene 365, so make sure it's on a breakaway."
"Shot A is door closed and B is door destroyed with floor damage and debris."

Not to mention when your project has its own brush sets, drop-in assets, and you have to make repeating background assets that terminate on the same vanishing point. Working from a finished product on all that would be monstrous.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Sure, but as long as any human input is necessary, you kinda need to know how to lead it. I would not wanna be the person setting the parameters on a commercial plane's autopilot or be in charge for the assembly line production of nails, for instance. I got no idea what "wrong" even looks like.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought the Scrappy villain twist was pretty funny when I was in 8th grade. 22 years ago.

:smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
After Wish, I too would be terrified of breaking my dark blood contract with him.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd watch a movie about the prince cracking under the weight of what he did. Gaslight meets The Machinist.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically, Disney's liberties with the stories are probably both not unprecedented nor particularly exceptional for changing things to suit the audience and culture the story's being told to. Especially since there were quite a few cultures who were like 'Excuse me, Zeus was always faithful to his wife Hera and I don't know where you got all these gross stories from but cut it out or we'll get the hemlock' and probably would enjoy the Disney version.

Out of curiosity, did Hercules: The Legendary Journeys get the same vitriol about accuracy? I never saw it, but maybe it was more rapey and murdery than I had assumed. :v:

Xena's fanfiction, so I figure we were all cool with that one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

TrippDay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgBO9c3WKII

So goons, remember that godawful 3D animated movie Foodfight, well there is a documentary on it on YouTube and holy poo poo is it deep.

Thank you, trainwreck deep dives are my favorite thing ever.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The gummy sharks were extremely cute and that toy is tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also, WOW. Y'all should watch that Foodfight! documentary. Lots of production materials and crew interviews, plus a topless render of Lady X that the director apparently jerked it to.

Incredibly horrible stuff!