Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I liked in 3 is that the villain at one point has a slightly subtle (for this franchise anyway) tell when he's impersonating Lucy- he's obsessed with 80s music, and in that scene she's quietly singing "Let's get Physical" to herself. In hindsight it's really obvious, but it's also a natural enough thing that people just do anyway that at least I overlooked it until the reveal. Also Benjamin Bratt I thought was a fun villain idea, someone who's career peaked as a child and who has been unable to let it go. I also liked the first Minions movie, it had some solid jokes (both smaller ones like "Oh no, we killed the original!" and also stuff like Queen Elizabeth in a pub arm wrestling the patrons which I thought was funny enough) and Scarlett Overkill had some funny moments too due to her obsession with a plan she came up with as a 6 year old, so some of the parts of it are still super childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

JazzFlight posted:

Speaking of Illumination, I just watched Migration last night. I actually thought it was a pretty solid kids' movie for something I didn't even know was in theaters until it was available digitally.
Not exactly a complex premise, but it works way better than whatever Disney was going for with Wish, for instance. Sometimes it's best to just do a simple plot well instead of a complex plot poorly.

I hated the trailer as it was before a different movie that I went to see and it just showed the entire plot from start to finish so it feels like there's no point in seeing it. I hate trailers for movies, they always give way too much away.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It had more of a "not every step mom in a kid's movie is evil" message. Which honestly make it kinda progressive.

Part of the problem was the youngest daughter feeling like the family was incomplete and the dumb plot thing with the mother's day pageant, which isn't a thing. Whether it intended to or not, the movie implied that Gru wasn't doing enough on his own, when he demonstrably WAS. He was doing really well as a solo parent, the problem was that the movie didn't seem to do enough to make clear that it was the youngest girl alone that felt that he wasn't enough, which would have been fair enough as it's a childish thing to think.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I watched and enjoyed Migration. Illumination is often weak on story, but strong on gags and visuals and Migration is another example of that. Like, they seem to have some of the best artists in the business working for them (the backgrounds in Migration are genuinely gorgeous, and the character animation is top notch), but the plots are always an after thought that usually serve as a vague excuse to string together a series of jokes (or songs in the case of the Sing movies) as quickly and in as many different settings as possible.

And personally I'm perfectly fine with that, but I can understand people who want something more than "a Looney Tunes short, but there's a bunch of them strung together into an hour and thirty minutes" being disappointed.

The thing that surprised me most about Migration is that Danny Devito is in it, I don't think they advertised that at all? Or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to the trailers, I dunno.

The trailers gave practically the whole movie away, so it wouldn't be surprising if he was in them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm so sick of every licensed game now just being a fortnite skin. It's such a boring way of doing it. I got all excited at seeing an ad for a My Hero Academia game, but then it was a loving fortnite season pass and was like "Uuuugh... of course it's not a real game, just DLC for a diffrent thing."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just hope that there's some type of producers style thing that can gently caress them over, like if the movie gets leaked in it's entirety it'll count as being released so instead of a tax break they have to pay ALL the taxes on it AS WELL as losing any residuals they'd have got from tickets and other sales. They need to get hurt from the bottom line.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Larryb posted:

Were either of the Kung Fu Panda shows worth watching while we're on the subject?

I thought the one with the gauntlet that Po accidentally destroys was promising but the CG was so clearly on a budget that none of the action or jokes landed because it felt so lifeless. Apparently the 2D one was better though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

Encanto 2: Casita's Revenge

get on it, Disney

Hello Mirabel.

I've had a lot to think about being dead. You know... after you murdered me...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If they do do a sequel to Encanto I'd love to see a thing of Mirabel and Bruno teaching the other characters how to actually interpret Bruno's visions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think a TV show would probably have been the best way to go because you have way more time for each character to be played with, on a similar level to the Tangled TV show. They were able to give Hook Hand and Atilla small arcs which were interesting, because you had Atilla pursuing his dream in public in Corona, and hook hand being a toxic rear end in a top hat to his brother about his dream because he's a total ladder-pulling hypocrite.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Monsters U is a frustrating movie for me because as much as I like that lesson and as much as I enjoyed watching it I just find it so hard to believe that not a single child in the world would find Mike Wazowski scary. That dude is built like a Beholder with spindly little clawed lizard legs! If I saw something like that skittering around my room I would run screaming out of my house and never return, anyone would! Saying Mike Wazowski wouldn't terrify a child if they saw him out of the corner of their eye on a dark night is like when movies try to pretend a conventionally attractive actress is ugly because she has a ponytail and glasses. Mike Wazowski isn't "not scary" he's "Hollywood not scary".

It is kind of funny how at the end the headteacher is clearly underplaying what happened to try to save face where she's like "You... surprised me..." C'mon, give them the credit, you were scared shitless.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's also the aspect that 4 was well enough received that enough people would probably be interested in a 5th, even though 4 was unnecessary.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oh god, a "Comedy Guy" should never be a thing. Scripts don't need punching up. Literally "I just fell on my bottom into some butterscotch! Whackity Smackity Doo!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

3 CG skateboarding mutants and then the 4th one is just a small regular turtle chilling in a box because Donatello knew better than to eat weird glowing goop. Also Michaelangelo rides a razor scooter just to be different. Teenage Mutant Ninja Shitposts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

About Kung Fu Panda - has there been a #4 in an animated movie series that wasn't a disaster? That's straight-to-VHS territory in my eyes.

Shrek reversed it with 3 being generally panned but fan consensus being that 4 was better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Marsden was legit good, which shocked me. Sonic has better humans than Detective Pikachu overall. Heck, I didn't even mind the wedding sequence in 2, even though it was obvious padding. I wanna see his sister in law giving romantic advice to Amy in 3. And still hating Sonic but liking Tails.

It helped that the wedding bit was genuinely funny, like when the characters are fawning over how cute Tail's gadgets are while going through his stuff, and the bride on the warpath kamikazeing the gazebo with a golf cart.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nikumatic posted:

both times when i've been the only one awake on a saturday morning and i've reluctantly gone "well, i guess i'll watch this sonic movie" it has been exactly the right time and mindset to be charmed by the fuckin' things. when i inevitably do the same with 3 i'll need to remember to pour a big bowl of cinnamon toast crunch first.

Robonik and Stone have the best bromance.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It was a movie about Jazz and it felt like it had a Jazz script in that they were just making it up as they went along.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm getting around to Wish just so that I've actually seen it, and at least despite a half-baked plot it does have some decent songs, like I'm enjoying "Knowing what I know now", it has a cool rhythm. It reminds me of the best song from Smallfoot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVcwpMsU58g

Something I'd find amusing in a princess style movie would be something like what the Tangled TV show flirted with with the Decay Incantation, which whenever Rapunzel recites it takes over her body, and forces her to sing it without stopping, killing anything around her and takes a powerful external stimulus to stop, which was awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jZ6LTmyW6U, and have a villain who was a princess who went mad, or got corrupted in some way. That could be a fun twist. Play up a different character as a more traditional villain, but have his motives actually be what he says they are, then when the princess goes rogue her sidekick-style character would have to team up with him to stop her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Maria is the name of his Dog.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ungulateman posted:

i got into it just recently and i was very impressed that they managed to take the dumb executive mandate of 'give rapunzel back her magic hair that she hates' and turn it into a good idea to build a longform fantasy mystery on

I like that despite Varian in the pilot having a terrifying science machine, Rapunzel is in no way perturbed by it, in fact no matter how uncomfortable the machine itself is through it's tests, she's completely fine with it because she wants to know. Even when Eugene's trying to get her out of it she's like "Dude, we only have 35 more tests, I'm going to see this through." Most of those episodes have the characters immediately regret taking on the task, but Rapunzel completely accepts every aspect of it and is willing to trust Varian's judgement.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I keep saying it - only give advertisers the first half hour of a movie. ANY movie. If you can't sell the movie on the setup alone, you are a lovely advertiser and shouldn't be doing this job. The whole point of the setup is to get the audience invested enough to stick around for the payoffs, so if you show the payoffs in the trailer, people will not need to see the movie at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The most annoying part is that many movies have great early jokes that would be great for the trailer without giving away the ending, like in Storks for example, they could get the same idea without showing the glass labyrinth in the trailer by simply showing the joke that introduces the idea, aka - "Do you know why I made my office entirely out of glass even though birds can't see glass?" "No, why?" "*bird slams into window* Power move."

It's a short, snappy joke that makes the point and is genuinely funny, and has a built in punchline. The glass labyrinth isn't the punchline to that idea, it's a DEVELOPMENT of the idea, an extrapolation based off of an earlier joke that is then turned against the protagonist.

I know this is just a personal irrational thing though as I'm the only one who'd put this much thought into the narrative flow of the Storks movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Storks is good

Yeah, I like how they ground the Wolfpacks joke by having them try a form that they can't handle, it gives the joke a structure/internal consistency that helps sell it. They are ridiculous, but they have an internal logic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Amusingly I think Velma was actually more hateable in Mystery Inc despite that show being infinitely better overall because they made her weirdly jealous of Shaggy and Scooby's relationship. Yes Scooby is a bit clingy, he's intelligent enough to speak, but he's still a loving DOG! She keeps whining after Shaggy breaks up with her that she was dumped for a dog, but first of all Shaggy's relationship with Scooby is completely different as unlike Velma he's not shagging the dog, and secondly he dumped her because she was a poo poo girlfriend, that part had nothing to do with Scooby.

Then after the relationship ends midway through the first season, she has a moment where Scooby is in mortal danger and she actually discusses the idea that letting him die would solve her relationship problem, which it would not because again, SCOOBY ISN'T A SEXUAL RIVAL YOU LUNATIC!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I reckon that all of that, like a lot of the show, was very tongue in cheek. The show, particularly the first season, is frequently taking the piss out of its leads in ways that I find very funny. They're both the most gosh darned wholesome teenage dorks and also deeply terrible, judgemental, deeply lovely crazy people. Mashing those two things up together ends up being pretty decently funny.

So I think you're meant to be laughing at Velma, rather than trying to find any psychological clarity in her behaviour.

I know the show has a reputation for being a dark and serious version of the Scooby Saga (or whatever) and it definitely becomes like that towards the end. But I vastly prefer its deeply sarcastic side.

I get that it's meant to be tongue in cheek but I think it's because her behaviour is too realistic to sell it as a joke. Fred's trap obsession goes far enough that it's ridiculous, and Shaggy and Scooby's eating habits have been a recurring joke for decades, but Velma's toxicity doesn't go into the realm of absurd enough for me to not see it as just a toxic person who's just not funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think overall my favourite aspect of Mystery Inc was that the villains were basically the protagonists, but with their flaws blown up so far they became toxic, with the Fred and Daphne analog being pretty and charming but completely manipulative, so they themselves were practically a human trap even beyond their trap-making skills, the Velma analog was so sure of her own intelligence that she ended up being trusted by no one because she wasn't forthcoming enough, and the Shaggy analog looked exactly like someone with that diet would realistically look, so an obese greasy disgusting misanthrope. I thought that was cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Scrappy was done in by executive meddling originally - according to an interview I read with his creator he was envisioned as actually being kind of effective, but he was rewritten behind his back because executives were concerned that his behaviour was imitable, plus the old cartoon rule of "If a nail sticks out a little, hammer it back in, no individuality allowed!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Venom at least knows how dumb it is and has fun with it so those movies are pretty entertaining.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something interesting about the Greek myths is that they actually involve a secondary Goddess who doesn't get much discussion, Lyssa, the goddess of insanity. Whenever a God wants a mortal to be driven mad, they defer to HER skill to make it happen, so when the hunt goddess (at least I think it was Artemis, not sure) was spotted naked by the hunter who got ripped apart by his own dogs, it was Lyssa that Artemis asked to drive his dogs mad.

Similarly, Hera contracted Megara's murder at Herc's hands to Lyssa, but she initially didn't want to because Meg and the children did nothing wrong - she's fine with the others because it's the perpetrator dying a horrible death, the hunter shouldn't have peeped, Ajax the lesser shouldn't have assaulted Cassandra at Troy (doubly bad because he did it IN ATHENA'S TEMPLE causing one of her statues to fall in the struggle, so she was especially angry with him), but Megara's death was punishing Hercules which she considered unfair. She didn't want to spark a domestic abuse situation. She actually tried to get out of it by deferring to Isis, but Isis was like "Nah, do it, Hera outranks you." It was an especially lovely contract that she couldn't get out of.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Larryb posted:

Has Lyssa ever been adapted into any media for that matter? This is the first I’ve heard of her honestly

I actually learned about her from a Dynasty Warriors spinoff on 360 called "Warriors: Legends of Troy" - it also went into the hilarious actual start of the Trojan War.

Basically it all had it's real origin not in Paris and Helen, but in Aphrodite, Athena and Hera - they were having a tiff over who was the most beautiful of them, and they asked Zeus who was like "gently caress this, I'm out, this is a TRAP!" So they instead deferred to Paris, who stupidly gave his true opinion- he personally thought Aphrodite was the hottest. Problem is, he now has the favour of the Goddess of Love, but has just pissed off the Goddesses of Marriage and Warfare. Aphrodite introduces him to Helen as a thank you for flattering her, not caring that Helen is already married as she's basically shipping Paris and Helen at this point, and that angers Helen's husband. Paris now has an angry army on his doorstep, and the goddess of War is angry with him so he is doomed on THAT front, and the Goddess of Marriage is angry with him so him and Helen are doomed to fail as a couple. HUGE screwup there.

At least that's how the game presents it, it may be inaccurate.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

All the Greeks being all like "Lol, Ovid, more like Ovum" because he gained a little weight and he's like "You bastards, that's the only Latin word you bothered to learn and it's so that you could make that joke!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just thrown that the Egyptian goddess suddenly shows up in the middle of this.

Basically, Disney's liberties with the stories are probably both not unprecedented nor particularly exceptional for changing things to suit the audience and culture the story's being told to. Especially since there were quite a few cultures who were like 'Excuse me, Zeus was always faithful to his wife Hera and I don't know where you got all these gross stories from but cut it out or we'll get the hemlock' and probably would enjoy the Disney version.

Yeah, I think I mistyped Iris.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's a few places, as I mentioned I first heard of her because she was a boss in the Legends of Troy game although it gave no context, just Ajax goes crazy and the final boss for the character is labelled as Lyssa, but there are other sources such as Wikipedia, or this other website: https://www.greekmythology.com/Other_Gods/Primordial/Lyssa/lyssa.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I do like about Sword in the Stone (and this extends to Bedknobs and Broomsticks with Substitutiary Locomotion) is that it makes Merlin's magic seem powerful because of how difficult it is to control.

While Bibidi Bobidi Boo is a more well known and liked song, the Fairy Godmother's magic feels really easy and very basic which is fine but narratively uninteresting (because it's not about her and so it's allowed to be it's literal wish fulfillment) but Higgitus Figgitus and Substitutiary Locmotion are a chaotic mess that makes it really feel like a human is trying to force the universe to break a few of it's rules - you have to make the universe listen because it doesn't care about your priorities (the witch in Bedknobs has to learn to add enough of a flair to her recitation to make it impressive), if you lose control for even a minute things get disastrous (around the middle of both songs the characters lose control of the spells because they lose concentration, resulting in the magic leaking out of the house in Bedknobs and Merlin being pulled off his feet in Sword, and in Sword Merlin lays down the law right at the start with "No no no, Books are always first, you know that!" and by the end Merlin's voice is becoming panicked as he tries to keep control).

I always find that really charming and fun as it makes magic feel like a FORCE rather than a tool.

Higitus Figitus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb75RjpvBIk
Substitutiary Locomotion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpmshIjeSv8