Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Looks like it's going to be kind of a weak year for animation compared to 2023. Nothing was ever going to complete with a lineup headlined by Miyazaki and Spiderverse, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Lying on your resume is usually a great idea, but it is possible to overshoot.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Finally got around to watching Elemental as I work through some Oscar nominees. I feel pretty conflicted about it.

So many elements of the movie are great. I really loved some of the gags. Wade accidentally magnifying his name tag by trying to cover it up was great. The mom running down the stairs in a wide shot was great. Got a good laugh at the "So You're Being Shut Down" flyer. The movie delivered comedically much more than I expected. I also thought the romantic chemistry was really successful, and that's a cool thing you don't get a ton in animation. Visually, it was pretty impressive.

It is a shame the central metaphor of the movie is so untenable that everything is brought down by it. I don't think it's a bad movie, but it is definitely not a great movie. The awful premise really drags it down.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Wow that feels sudden.

Moana is so great. I'm pretty skeptical about a sequel.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Finally got around to watching Nimona, and what do you know, it was great. I appreciated how they were really varied and clever with the animation. The subway tile sequence was lovely. I think there was one somewhat rushed, whiplash inducing plot sequence, but it held together thematically. Quite funny too.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I know the post is old but I wanted to ask: this is about the original mario movie, right?

CD-i Zelda and Mario games, surely.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

ITT: People scratch their head at humans doing tribalism

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I would have given the Oscar to Spiderverse, but I can't get angry about Heron getting it. It was a great movie, and Ghibli deserves more Oscars.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Wow that's exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Big the Cat top billed or we riot