Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

...wait, I thought Turning Red had come out already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

also most reviews i've seen describe soul as kind of bad

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While Nintendo reportedly is very fussy about how their characters are portrayed and used by third parties but given the history of what happens when they look away for five minutes it's very hard to blame them.
I know the post is old but I wanted to ask: this is about the original mario movie, right?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sorry, I feel like I ask the obvious questions, but is "they just hate animated movies" based on any specific incident or just a tendency of bog shot companies to poo poo all over their animation divisions

Please accept these screenshot from the comic The Three Caballeros Ride Again, in which Donald's horny days are hilariously acknowledged. Also, i just think it's very cute how both his friends think so highly of him, the loser with no fixed job.

https://www.tumblr.com/marziafantasia94/723113084888219648/can-we-just-appreciate-how-panchito-and-jos%C3%A9?source=share

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 22, 2024

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The concept of a Twilight animated series amuses me and intrigues me. Who's the target audience for something like this? Is there still a diehard Twilight fanbase? It was certainly a phenomenon in its own right, one maligned perhaps more than it strictly deserved (it deserved to be maligned a bit, to be perfectly clear), but what exactly can they do with it now?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I've not watched Wish, it doesn't really have much to sell me on it and at this point I've seen enough people whose reaction ranges from disgusted to disappointed in it that I know better.

I wanted to ask, if that's alright, what are the problems with it, exactly? I've seen several takes from "forgettable generic quirky protagonist" to "the plot makes no sense" to "we are told we should care about this but not shown why".

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So much makes sense with people saying that Disney at this point is mostly staffed by and does screen testing with Disney Adults. Basically a corporate cult.

I was looking up info on those, actually, because I am plagued with a partial understanding of things and I wanted to look into them, and came across this article, which has a couple of very telling lines about this slice of the population:

quote:

Disney adults themselves aren’t naive about the wish the company’s heart makes. Fan Rachul sometimes worries that “the golden age of storytelling is giving way to consumerism”, while survey respondents wrote in that the company “[promotes] consumerism and overconsumption”, “prioritise[s] profits over anything” and has a “capitalist mentality” of “growth and profits over all”. Disney adulthood is inseparable from hyper-consumption – 58 per cent of Disney adults I surveyed spend between $1,000 (£787) and $10,000 (£7,876) with the Walt Disney Company annually, while only 2.8 per cent spend less than $100 (£78).

quote:

Disney’s grip on film media means that the company can not only make everyone a Disney adult, but also discourage criticism of the conglomerate. In 2017, the company briefly banned Los Angeles Times film critics from attending advance screenings of its films because, the paper claimed, it had published an investigative series about the subsidies and tax breaks that Disney received from the city of Anaheim, the location of Disneyland Resort; the paper also suggested Disney’s political spending influenced local elections (Disney defended its role in the city as a “job creator and economic engine”). Disney reversed the ban after threats of a boycott from other outlets, but it set a disturbing precedent.

Yeesh. Disney is just like, transparently evil, isn't it?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Your analysis has been a delight to read.
And yes, Cinderella's Prince Charming is as characterless as the Disney male love interests get. Dude straight up has like three lines in the whole movie. I haven't watched it myself but I've seen bits of Cinderella 3 (yes, i know, disney sequels, bear with me) that imply they give him a lot more personality. Like this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQrEUZDJCk
what a lad. I'm glad he'll lead a country some day.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I think I'm gonna check out last year's thread around the time Wish came out to see people really digging into it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

why would you hatewatch velma.
like that's the whole reason this show exists, it's to be hatewatched, don't give them the satisfaction/encouragement.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Something interesting about the Greek myths is that they actually involve a secondary Goddess who doesn't get much discussion, Lyssa, the goddess of insanity. Whenever a God wants a mortal to be driven mad, they defer to HER skill to make it happen, so when the hunt goddess (at least I think it was Artemis, not sure) was spotted naked by the hunter who got ripped apart by his own dogs, it was Lyssa that Artemis asked to drive his dogs mad.

Similarly, Hera contracted Megara's murder at Herc's hands to Lyssa, but she initially didn't want to because Meg and the children did nothing wrong - she's fine with the others because it's the perpetrator dying a horrible death, the hunter shouldn't have peeped, Ajax the lesser shouldn't have assaulted Cassandra at Troy (doubly bad because he did it IN ATHENA'S TEMPLE causing one of her statues to fall in the struggle, so she was especially angry with him), but Megara's death was punishing Hercules which she considered unfair. She didn't want to spark a domestic abuse situation. She actually tried to get out of it by deferring to Isis, but Isis was like "Nah, do it, Hera outranks you." It was an especially lovely contract that she couldn't get out of.

What's your source for this? I want to ask the Scion discord server about it, it sounds interesting.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Jasper and Horace are such archetypical villain mooks. One tall and skinny, one short and chubby; both of them by and large charmingly incompetent.

I love them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

[...] idiot bullies who fawn towards anyone with the slightest amount of power over them, and relish the chance to exercise the slightest power over anything else.

Good thing there aren't people like that out there in real life! I mean, can you imagine? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

There's something about that squirrel plotline that digs its roots deep into people's heads.