Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Miyazaki, watch some Lupin the Third this year folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For the record, Helena Bonham Carter was really good on some Miami Vice episodes. And there should be an animated Miami Vice movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Sorry, this is the closest you’re gonna get:

https://youtu.be/kZu5iDTtNg0?si=1maO1xT67bgz_B1i

Edit: Moonbeam City kind of sort of, but that got memory-holed into a supermassive black hole.

Nice! There's also that Lasagna Cat Miami Vice bit, which is live-action based on a comic strip that feels like a cartoon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We've heard about how Steamboat Willie and that early version of Mickey Mouse are public domain. Pretty cool. Erik Larsen will do some fun stuff:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That movie to me looks pretty bad, at least for my taste, what got me there is just the style of humor and joke delivery etc shown. It's much like the style you'd see in other modern kids movies, which I guess just isn't my thing. Transformers: The Movie (1986) is something I've watched with friends a zillion times though, masterpiece. I guess what I don't like is the homegenous and I guess to me cynical nature of how made by committee stuff like this new movie feels. The joke interactions they put in these trailers in tone and vibe are pretty interchangeable etc. I don't think an auteur or a team on fire put this movie together is what I'm saying. Granted maybe making some masterpiece stuff out of a toy commercial was an accident that is tough to repeat.

But then again, X-Men '97 is incredible right now, and that's a darn good new go at a classic toon/comic.

Not to say there aren't any good modern kids movies, I do like some Pixar and stuff. And I like plenty of anime stuff but that's another style and vibe for sure. And like I'm saying, as far as something both kids and adults could enjoy, X-Men '97 is much more up my alley than this Transformers thing for example.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 20, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I disagree, because the thing is I'm good at reading these things, but it's all personal. For example everyone on SA thought Doom (the 2016 game ) looked bad from its trailers, but I was able to sort of use my imagination on the tidbits we saw combined with what devs said etc and I thought hey this game is likely gonna be good. I get the art of the trailer. This movie looks bad because the lines and moments in the trailer are in the movie, and therefore I do not want to watch the movie.

I get the gist of what you're saying, but we're both reading the same tea leaves, so a positive and negative reaction are both cool, they gave us some samples so we could form some takes and see it or not etc. I say they blew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ok, my take is swept away by the science of trailers, oh well. I liked having a take, felt like I was making sense of this topsy turvy world.