Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
My dad (who loved Despicable Me 1, 2, and the Minions spinoff) once griped to me about Despicable Me 3 being a disappointment. I have no clue if you can extrapolate the public opinion from that I just think it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's just DLC but for movies.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
We're posting in the Snyder Capital of the Internet right now and I haven't seen a single positive word on it even on CineD.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The MSJ posted:

Zack does that because his movies tend to be long and the studio want them to be shorter for theaters. Which makes it weird that Netflix, who let Scorsese release a movie 5 hours long, tries to do the same thing

It's so that people can say the critic reviews are because they didn't see the real movie and you need to watch the 4 hour cut to have an opinion. And it's already working!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Didn't the Steven Universe tumblr suicide turn out to be more of an internet legend?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hihohe posted:

Spiritually rotten? Lol. gently caress off.

Also yeah did you do a background check on this account at all because, uh.

Honestly complaining about Tumblr specifically in 2024 is a red flag by itself.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 13, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Panfilo posted:

Sure, but why some shows and genres and not others? I was active in the transformers Fandom back in the late nineties and don't remember people getting bullied into killing themselves because they disagreed about Starscream and Megatron's relationship. There's lots of animated Fandoms full of terminally online nerds that are not doing stuff like this.

edit: clickbaited

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 13, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Data Graham posted:

Anecdotally I think the ATLA shipping wars were the ones that left the deepest scars on a generation.

Maybe this is rose colored glasses due to being in the exact age range but ATLA ship wars was still in the territory of mostly being silly fun at the end. Korra ship wars though were awful, it might be the most uniformly angriest I've ever seen a fanbase outside of Blizzard video games.

mystes posted:

Seriously am I the only person who actually looked at the google docs links from that tweet?

:sweatdrop: If I'm getting clickbaited by the alt-right anime coomer account then I sincerely apologize.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 13, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think one should also be cautious of attributing everything to a single lurid cause, lest this become a "the Columbine shooter owned a copy of Counterstrike" sort of thing. A lot of people on the internet would be depressed or antisocial without cartoons, there isn't an answer that will Explain Everything.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 13, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Terry McGinnis is already basically Miles Morales but with Batman but by that same token I'm surprised that was apparently considered an untenable pitch considering how successful and popular the Spiderverse movies are.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rand Brittain posted:

That's just humanity. You're asking for a fanbase that doesn't have any people in it.
]

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 26, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think there's a difference between acknowledging relationships exist between characters (nobody is saying that that there should be stories without relationships) and wanting to gently caress them vicariously. It's honestly doing a disservice to the phenomenon of shipping to think that people do it because the couples "make sense" or "the themes"

mycot fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 26, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmm I wonder why people wanted the two underwear models in Supernatural to gently caress even though those characters are meant to be brothers. The motivation is surely a mystery.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
We need to go back to the era where the extent of fan-creator interaction was mail.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Real ones remember the real interminable movie ending fight scene, the Nuclearman fight in Superman IV

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 26, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Famously unpopular and unwanted, Superman in a big superpowered punchfest against a dangerous villain, definitely not what people had been openly wanting for decades at that point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Ngl during Oscar season it was rich to see people be like "oh I can't support Spiderverse after the worker abuse scandal". Buddy have you heard of the winner.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Is there any reason it has to be specifically a Disney Hunchback of Notre Dame musical and not just a Hunchback of Notre Dame stage show with none of the movie parts? Does it use the same songs?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Butt Detective posted:

Po has to choose a successor, for reasons. What reasons? He just does, okay. He just has to do it.

Every third Dreamworks movie must bear the sins of Shrek 3.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Apparently not though because every art website is flooded with "how do you describe this art style/artist" questions that are fishing for prompts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't know that you can really call Shyamalan's version as having disdain for the original. He clearly went to a fairly deliberate effort to adapt as much original material as he could within the constraints of a blockbuster film. Sure, he did so very incompetently and arbitrarily in a way that undermined most of what made the original work. But the Netflix version did the same thing really.

Yeah Shyamalan's Avatar is more like Tom Hooper's Cats to me where they chose the strangest and most baffling ways to adapt the material, not that they were trying to bury the material itself.