Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

paradoxGentleman posted:

also most reviews i've seen describe soul as kind of bad
I was up for a movie about jazz with a black lead and then he spends like 70% of it as a cat with a famous white lady's voice in his body instead.
Same problem I had with Princess and the Frog. Just an odd decision to do these transformation stories. Plus, I wouldn't really say it stuck the landing with its message/moral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Macaluso posted:

For the record the Frozen world in KH3 rules because they had the gall to put the entire like 3 minutes of Let It Go in the game
And they fixed the animation glitch where her braid passed through her shoulder in the original movie!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I thought the 3rd one was rather forgettable and lame because they just had Steve Carell play the part of his long lost brother as well. I mean, I know he was a twin or whatever, but it seemed like too much Carell.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of Illumination, I just watched Migration last night. I actually thought it was a pretty solid kids' movie for something I didn't even know was in theaters until it was available digitally.
Not exactly a complex premise, but it works way better than whatever Disney was going for with Wish, for instance. Sometimes it's best to just do a simple plot well instead of a complex plot poorly.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oh, I should mention that the human villain in Migration gave me total One Piece or maybe Popeye vibes. Mad respect to Illumination for having zero humans speak in the film too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

I think the description seems to be implying that this time someone from The Grid will be crossing over into our world as opposed to vice versa like before

The end of Legacy and the DVD short seem to strongly imply that Flynn and Tron are still alive so I assume we’ll be seeing at least one of them in this movie
While the idea of a Grid character coming into the real world is cool, I sure hope that doesn't mean that a large portion of the movie is set outside the computer.
Like, a major appeal of Tron is to see the cool environments. Otherwise this is just The Terminator with a different costume.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is a total guilty pleasure, I know.
But I do want RWBY to just have an ending. If all they need to do is put out like a couple of comics or something, just finish it up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Songs were godawful, generic visual style, plot too convoluted and nonsensical, and the shoehorned in 7 dwarves friends added up to too many extraneous characters.
Just a bad movie all around.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just finished watching that tonight. I thought it was pretty great with a bunch of nods/influences (Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, 2001, etc...) but was let down a bit by the ending.
I'm not sure the plot came together, but the journey was worthwhile enough.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I saw it last week and posted in the thread about it. I thought it was pretty good, essentially an inverted Ghost In The Shell (or a rip off if you want to look at it that way, but I think that's ungenerous).

What didn't you like about the ending? I thought it was fairly tight -- humanity and robots can't coexist as long as robots are seen as products to be disposed of when the next flimflam fad rolls around. So, regardless as to whether they're being forced out or not, it might just be best for robots to choose to leave their broken system and search for something new. Humans can be left behind, left to subordinate themselves to systems that impassively marginalise them e.g. capitalism, or even biological frailty.
Mars Express Spoilers:

I dunno, looking online some other people felt the same way. Basically, I felt it was leading to a bigger conspiracy that just never materialized. Also, I love movies with downer endings, but just killing off your lead with barely any buildup or twist was a bit of a wet fart.
What made the movie feel less impactful at the end was that the main characters ultimately had no real role in the story. Sure, Carlos kills his friend/the Royjacker CEO, but other than that, they didn't solve or prevent anything in the plot at all. Everything happened with them or without them.

More of a visual/audio feast and less an original story that I'll be thinking about in the future. The basic plot/philosophy stuff was done better in a lot of the media this pulled from.

EDIT: I will mention that I've watched quite a bit of sci-fi/cyberpunk media, so the average viewer wouldn't constantly be thinking "oh, I've seen this before." Like, just watching all of Ghost in the Shell: SAC covers a ton of interesting transhumanism topics.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

One thing in Mars Express that made me point at the screen like meme Leo DiCaprio was a freaking split diopter shot. In an animated movie!