Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Since making him their trademark and logo, they're so locked down on Mickey never doing anything that might not align perfectly with their brand projection that I don't think there's any way they could do a decent long story with him.
yeah I think it's this.

Since mickey is their trademark/logo, they're so concerned about brand safety that they can't really put him in anything except occasional shorts or stuff for preschoolers because he can't have an actual character or do anything bad. This means that there's no way to make him interesting, so it effectively kills him as a character, which means that nobody cares about him.

I don't think it really matters though. If anything disney's problem is that it already recycles the same IP over and over again too much anyway.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hazbin Hotel is on Amazon? I thought it was a youtube thing

mystes
May 31, 2006

which previous tmnt movie do you think is good?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

Coyote Vs. Acme likely to be deleted forever

WB has rejected every offer and refused to let Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount give counter-offers.
oh come on

mystes
May 31, 2006

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Why? Seriously, just why? What's the purpose?
Supposedly they somehow save $35 million from writing it off. It apparently cost $70 million to make and the article is saying they wanted at least that much, so I'm guessing the streaming services were offering something between $35 million and $70 million.

Maybe they're concerned that accepting it would affect future prices for streaming rights? Maybe they were hoping that if they held out someone would eventually offer $70 million? But since everyone already knows the movie isn't going to see the light of day otherwise it's kind of a unique situation anyway so I'm not sure it really makes sense.

Also even if the amount of money they would save by writing it off is only equal to the profit from selling it off, I still think they should sell it so they don't gently caress over all the people who spent a ton of time working on it.

Edit: Also, even if the movie didn't directly make money, it would probably lead to increased interest in future loony toons movies/shows and merchandise. It's weird because if it was Disney/Marvel that would probably be enough motivation to ensure as many people saw it as possible even if they were actually going to lose money that way.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 9, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Panfilo posted:

What is up with fanbases that seem to drive people to suicide? It seems more common with some shows than with others. Like were people harassing each other into committing suicide over their unpopular opinions about Bugs Bunny fifty years ago?
https://twitter.com/Fenrirtheicewo1/status/1757051734520627406?t=DQed5CGB1Ea0TqYDUhI9fA&s=19
I'm not sure what you can take away from this except that these people have issues if they're getting this worked up about shipping different characters in a cartoon.

If the person who killed themself was like 15 you could at least make an argument about discord being dangerous for minors but they were in their 20s.

I'm not sure if I'm just missing it, but skimming the google docs link I don't even see any actual evidence of harassment? Maybe there was harassment in private messages but from the screenshots shown it kind of seen like this person was just extremely mentally ill.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 13, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I’m anti shipping any cartoon characters. Come at me insane weirdos.
I mean if people want to write fan fiction or something shipping characters who are adults, who cares? That's their business. But getting emotionally invested in it like this doesn't seem good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Seriously am I the only person who actually looked at the google docs links from that tweet?

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Antisocial and homicidal fandom behavior is a product of demographics that are alienated from control over their lives and environments. When you still live in your mom's house for whatever reason you have very little control over your actual life compared to the boomers who still post about season 6 of The Simpsons. When people like this have an opportunity to make an impact they often don't care what form that impact takes. As long as they feel powerful and influential they will find moral justifications for any act that gives them power and influence.

Some of this alienation is due to straight up age. Teenagers have no positive control over their own environments but tremendous ability to wreak havoc on other people. As wealth stratification across class and generational lines becomes more stark, The upper age boundary on this disenfranchised demographic rises continuously well into the twenties.

As discussed above, neurodivergence plays a major part also. These factors are not independent. Hyperfixation, rigid moral structures, and social dysfunction all contribute to antisocial behavior within fandom, and some fandoms are going to attract more intense hyperfixation than others for a variety of aesthetic and subject-matter reasons.

Some say that children's media is particularly prone also, because it is seen as morally instructive and poor moral instruction is there for a threat to children. I think there is the degree to which this is true, but I think this is diffused by the fact that, increasingly, all media is for children. The young adult demographic ranges from age 11 to age 40 now, especially if the media in question features any sort of fantastical or science fictional elements.
Thank you, this post has convinced me that people who are obsessed with hazbin hotel ships are no weirder than goons.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's weird. I wonder why Netflix would do that

mystes
May 31, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

Oscar hype.
ah yeah that makes sense

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sourdough Sam posted:

https://twitter.com/yuhkidemers/status/1759965713719235056?t=vC4KHGtPWMO0bnCxkn3uVQ&s=19

As good of an idea as this is for a movie, it's really lovely that this is where we're at culturally. "We don't wanna finance this movie, but if you can make it viral on the internet we'll consider it." These companies really are run by robots huh.
Batman: Into the Batmanverse

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Terry McGinnis is already basically Miles Morales but with Batman but by that same token I'm surprised that was apparently considered an untenable pitch considering how successful and popular the Spiderverse movies are.
That's a good point actually. You would think if they just leaned into the comparison the studio would be throwing money at them. On the other hand they probably just hate animated movies.

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah maybe they should make a sequel to the most recent spiderverse movie?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be honest, it's kind of boring if a fanbase isn't a hellscape of perverts, weirdos and people with very strong opinions of what combinations of characters should be kissing and loving each other. Though I might have just gotten a little too used to it.
And anyway, even if you don't think that's good, that ship has sailed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Srice posted:

The only shipping I wanna hear about is the movie in which a dog has a robot shipped to his home!!

In all serious though it's annoying that Robot Dreams isn't getting a theatrical release before the Oscars. I've been seeing trailers for it in theaters that say it's "Coming Soon" but the Oscars aren't far off and that the trailer doesn't have a specific date makes me think it's gonna be out after the Oscars. Just feels like a missed opportunity since I dunno about everyone else but the main reason it's on my radar at all is because of that Best Animated nomination.
It is getting a very limited theatrical release right now

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm still confused how get to a complete movie and then decide not to release it.

The movie is complete, right?
I have written a very comprehensive post that explains in great detail why it's actually a smart business decision but unfortunately I can't release it because, uh, tax write-offs

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

the normal tax write-offs explanation is a little incomplete I think - your costs are basically always deductable against income when calculating taxes on profits etc, doesn't matter if you release the thing or not. I've seen a few other ideas floated, not sure which are more true/relevant:
Some people have claimed that it's something special about acquisition accounting. I don't know if that's really a real thing, or if it is, whether it's really about the tax write off or just about making their financials look better to investors by treating the costs as a one-time cost or something like that though.

In any case I doubt it really makes sense because they would most likely be better off selling the rights for whatever they can get for it, even if that would result in a slight loss on the cost of making the movie.

Maybe the current executives are just really stubborn and feel that by doing this the loss is somehow not their fault, whereas if they released it and they lost less money, that loss would somehow be their fault?

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 25, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Is there any reason it has to be specifically a Disney Hunchback of Notre Dame musical and not just a Hunchback of Notre Dame stage show with none of the movie parts? Does it use the same songs?
The thumbnail for the youtube video linked earlier says "based on the victor hugo novel and songs from the disney film" so it would appear that at the very least it uses at least some of the songs from the movie

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 26, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't even remember a single thing about Monsters University, and that's despite having gone in being optimistic about it because I liked Monsters, Inc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Those aren't unreleased shows, right? That's probably not a "write off"; they're probably just in the process of licensing them to another service.

Or like they just hate cartoons so much they aren't even pretending it's about "write offs" anymore

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ccs posted:

I think these type of artists will be much more future proof than all the artists who became cogs in the machine for a steady paycheck, as the former basically know how to do it all and have a certain amount of control over their own destiny. Whereas my own strategy has just been to save as much of the studio paychecks as possible so I can live for a while between jobs if it comes to that.
You probably only need to be able to do everything if you want to make youtube videos by yourself like that and I'm not sure youtube/patreon would necessarily be any more stable or future proof than working for a studio?

Plus there's probably a sort of irony in that all the people who get big on youtube end up hiring other people to help them anyway so I imagine that in some sense you only really need to be able to do everything before you achieve a certain level of success

(But I can imagine that there is a lot of appeal to having total control over what you make)

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 1, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

So apparently they’re making a Toy Story 5 and a Moana 2 (in addition to the live action remake of the first one)

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/...tes-1235961998/

Tron Ares has a release date now as well
oh weird I thought they had cancelled the live action moana

mystes
May 31, 2006

Das Boo posted:

I don't quite understand this. It says it's a anti-bullying book project by Gobelins students, so is this condoned by the school or just an outside alumni project?
I think the point is that "a student project by students at gobelins used ai" is different from what was implied by "the most famous french art school gobelins is using AI for their site and advertising" regardless of whether you feel that they should be allowed to use ai for student projects?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

Cocomelon seems to be a show designed entirely for infants with no regard for anyone else in the vicinity
Unfortunately many infants are like that nowadays

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems pretty weird to make an r rated live action tmnt movie right after mutant mayhem

mystes
May 31, 2006

Elemental was probably the best recent example of a trailer convincing everyone that a movie was going to be much worse than it actually was.

I hope that someone somewhere has attempted to learn from that but since the movie eventually ending up doing ok (but it took forever) maybe they won't

mystes
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I admit to some perplexity as to what role snow plays in the TLK setting
That's not snow, it's a foam party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

It was a YouTube link on the last page