Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One of the things that season 1 did that was probably correct was make the supernatural stuff not real at the end, and it even basically had Marty break the case in the end, because while Rust could see connections in everything, Marty could see what was right in front of him. It wouldn't shock me if they chose to make the supernatural stuff real in this season, to try to differentiate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DangerZoneDelux posted:

He is taking photos of himself when he was younger hehe. He is also somewhat catfishing

I was half expecting him to try to take a dick pic

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In my opinion, I do think it helps this narrative to have the Marty-type figure be good at detectiving, while the Rust-ish figure is less so. It's one of the things that does kinda make S1 a bit more predictable, that Marty is kinda lovely as a detective right up until the end where he cracks the case. It makes Rust, i think, just seem like too good a guy (while the cut scene of how he loses his gf is unnecessary to the plot, i do think it spells out how Rust is absolutely a goober himself in a way that him relating it to Marty doesn't).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like the adventures of Jodie Foster and the young cop, i'm not really sure what the other cop is all about yet.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think oners are that interesting, now that like, every action filmmaker does them to try to pop a cinematic wheelie.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think this show is awful, but it really lacks the confidence of the previous seasons, and it's relying on so many tired and lazy writing tropes and it's not like the acting is carrying it like it was in season 3.

Jodie Foster: "LMAO you pray???? Talk to your god????????"

Navarro: "No.............. I listen................."

Jodie Foster: *Stunned silence over how insightful this comment was*

Like come on

It felt like they wanted to write a Rust and Marty Car Convo with some of the beliefs reversed but yeah i think it's just not as confidently done.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

my bony fealty posted:

It's rare that music in dramatic moments can completely ruin a scene but that's what happened this episode. The sister walking off into the ice should have been a somber, sad moment and here's more Billie Elish!

The whole show is just afraid to let itself have any space, like it doesn't trust the viewer to know what's going on if they are not constantly bombarded with musical cues or flashbacks.

I am looking forward to a dramatic conclusion in ice cave Carcosa. Please give me a wendigo, this will redeem the entire show.

Still waiting for the True Detective shootout for the season, it was kinda playing at one and then decided not to happen.

That being said, yeah, i think there's something to be said for the music just being ambient, and not like, the needle drop with the drat cocaine song every time someone in a film does cocaine.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it's better than 2 but that's about it. It has a meandering quality but less so. 2 has some incredible scenes but you have to sit through a lot of bullshit, this one has a more consistent quality to it but man, whoever scored this thing sucks.

I do get the sense that they were making it up as they went along, and there would've been a way better way to tie this thing up if they actually planned the previous episodes with their conclusion in mind.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The only thing that would've topped some of the needle drops of this season would be a scene where Danvers snorts cocaine to Eric Clapton's "Cocaine".

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bright Bart posted:

Did I miss something? Who kept Annie's tongue and then dropped it off at the station?

As she was a vocal protestor the tongue might have relevance there but I think the point is to find a body with its tongue cut somewhere the public will learn of it. But I'm not going to fault anyone for this as it seems unlikely this was the intention.

I think the idea is that the people in the house really could've been bullshitting about what they did at Tsalal.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cassian of Imola posted:

Season 1 had its own problems in the back half — the big break in the case, you'll recall, is 'painters often have ears the same colour as the house they painted'. But nothing on this level

I think that bit's actually quite important to S1- because it needed to show Rust wasn't a perfect detective, that he'd miss something like that because he's so far up his own rear end on occult and conspiracy stuff. Marty being able to catch it was something important.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

HermitSupplier posted:

If I recall right its mentioned beforehand that Rust is such a good detective that he can tell if someone is innocent or guilty after 20 minutes of talking with them. His talk with the guy who ended up being the culprit was cut very short by Marty trying to rush his rear end back to the car.

Not that he would have for sure nailed it if he had more time, though. I like how it's another example of Marty loving the investigation up.

Yeah, 100%, Rust is a much better detective than Marty, but Marty isn't wrong when he suggests that Rust jumps to conclusions and gets tunnel vision. Marty's also guilty of this, and his wrong-ness a lot of the time ends up coloring our view of everything he says, along with being kind of personally unpleasant to his family.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The ending felt so self-indulgent in a way that they really wanted the ghost thing to be true but also to be an indigineous female-forward story so the true heroes of the story were a bunch of people who killed the scientists, or i guess left them in the snow naked so they could theoretically go back for their clothes. I don't really know why we had 4-5 episodes before hand of other stuff that was mostly irrelevant to this.

An unwillingness to have Navarro really be a bad person probably comes from that. Though I mean even Rust's unpleasantness as a person gets softballed in his show.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The superficial ties to season 1 sucked but they aren't why season 4 is bad.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I want the montage where Nails goes across the country to put together the True Detectives who are still alive (and the ghost of Velcoro), so they can get together and deal with the new Tuttle menace.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, the more I've sat with it, the more I believe this to be the case. And it's not like that's an inherently bad approach, it just becomes bad when it's this incredibly obvious. Good writers can start with the end in mind and work backwards to create a story that flows organically to that conclusion. This was definitely not that. It reeked of a writer's room with less-than-talented people throwing out random poo poo and whatever passed a threshold of "ooh wow cool" got included, even when those things were the opposite of cool (the twist and shout on repeat thing, the polar bear, the electric light effect, the S1 throwbacks, etc etc)

I enjoyed the show until the finale, when not much came together and the "reveal" ended up being pretty shallow in terms of how natural it felt within the story.

Yeah i kinda felt like they had this rule of cool scene they wanted to do and no real way to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The character of Frank is a boring character. The other three leads are interesting and played by decent actors. Vince Vaughan is an ok actor playing a boring role.

Frank is a lot more interesting than Taylor Kitsch's character, who had exactly One Thing going on. But, I think the connective tissue in season 2 was awful, and in general getting to the highlights like "I like big dicks" was an absolute slog.