Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Good: setting

Bad: intro omg billie eilish cmon

The music wasn't half bad op. The series themselves have had some great music in the past. This season is different and sometimes that is okay too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I really liked the first episode. This and fargo have been some really solid tv that has been missing for a while.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t know what exactly is being told, but I do think it’s telling that not once has Rachel McAdams been mentioned in Season 2 chat.

Speak up now, don't be a coward.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I know this isn't what you're saying, and I might not be any more directly confrontational than she is especially since she's already on thin ice in a career she really cares about, but

Yeah. Sure. Messing up the hothead violent abuser's truck, ruining his day in a way he won't be able to see is in any way a consequence of being a POS, will totally make him nicer to his victim when he gets home. Solid plan.

Are you upset someone was being mean to an abuser? Are you okay?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

If it leads to the abuse victim getting abused harder yeah I loving am.

I think the abusers truck not working might lead to them being able to abuse people less, not more.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DaveKap posted:

TBH having sex with a top on is a fantastic way to indicate that there is zero intimacy in this relationship. I don't think I've ever seen a sex scene give so much characterization in so little time.

This post has so many red flags.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I liked the episode and could give a poo poo out ai posters. Lazy props aren't suppose to stunlock you this hard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I give it a strong chance that a certain someone will appear on the last episode with some non-snooty beer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Ya'll are really gun-ho to hate this. It's not as good as S1 so far, but it doesn't seem bad enough to warrant "lol this season is garbage" yet.

As far as the guy being Rust's dad. :shrug:. We'll see how far they lean into that. If they go the Fargo approach where it's mentioned but not a prerequisite for understanding what's going on, that'll be fine. Whatever. If it does become a plot point that Rust has The Shining from his dad... that will bad.

Exodor posted:

But it had bad looking posters in one scene! Obviously that makes the entire season garbage.

Enjoying it so far although I was surprised to learn it's only a 6 episode season. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise since it means only four more weeks of poster-chat.

I was just about to ask if anyone actually likes the show and wants to talk about the things they like. I figured, dang these hate watchers must have some other really good shows on right now to measure this against I need to check those out but no. They are just actively discussing this.

Like why would I hate that Travis is rust's dad? His dad was barely mentioned in s1. What is there to lose?

The tie in's so far are also really vague. Tuttle corp? The spiral? What deserves this much panic by episode 2?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Because making a shared universe is not only done to death but also cheapens this tv show and pretty much confirms they didn’t have enough confidence to run with it on their own. Also it isn’t just that spiral is prominent it’s how prominent the spiral is without actually explaining why it’s interesting at all. Like I said earlier too I think the writing sucks and the lighting is awful, and every music cue has felt out of place

I promise you, nobody will think less of you if don't watch the show you totally hate. It doesn't seem you have much left to enjoy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I like the adventures of Jodie Foster and the young cop, i'm not really sure what the other cop is all about yet.

His dad seems a bit useless and she seems to be mentoring him a little hard. Also something seems to really off about his dad. He seems a bit too comfortable with having case files of murdered women hidden away in his house. He seemed a bit way too mad they made it back to the station.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DaveKap posted:

The one huge thing I got from episode 1 which continued in episode 2 is how insanely lived-in these sets are. I'm constantly gawking at how trashed up everyone's place is. It's extremely real in a way few shows can ever get right and I'm certain some set designer is gonna win an award for it. I really hope some stupid AI poster doesn't ruin that.

The poster thing appears to only be an issue of the terminally online at this point. The average viewer doesn’t ever know about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Haven't watched it in forever, but isn't a theme of season one that they fail completely to arrest the bulk of the bad guys and by the time they solve the case they're all pretty much dead save the one member they do catch?

The bad guys are also generational victims of a great extended family of child rapists and murderers. The ones still at large are mostly the huge extended family who have taken up work in law enforcement and state government but had also had no need to do their killing business in remote rural Louisiana any longer. Rust saying "we were never going to catch them all" is a acknowledgement that there are just so many of them and they are so ingrained in positions of authority that it was never going to be possible for a pair of ex cops anyway.

The tuttles are more epstein these days and less yellow king.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ghouldaddy07 posted:

The Tuttle that shook Marty and Rust's hands that Rust later interviewed. He overdosed on his medication and the other cops suspected Rust may have done it.
It was heavily implied he offed himself or was killed because the cp tape was stolen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This episode was interesting but the story doesn't seem to be speeding up. We get why the leading women don't like each other (I mean covering that up would cause tension, doesn't matter who did it). We look closer in why being a native in the area is loving awful. We learn almost zero.

The leading women hate abusers and have a ton of experience with them. Danvers also has a thing for people being abused not speaking up for themselves, victim blame etc. The dad cop is giving me sneaky dangerous vibes while masking it as a meek quiet type. Its 100% sickness from the ice story that as a fluke exposes a covered up old murder that has nothing to do with it. Dad cop gets exposed as a murderer and a sex pest, son pulls the trigger, danvers dies in a pool of her own blood finally showing signs of being human/likeable before the dark takes her. The end. The flat circle is just people doing evil poo poo and its on a cave drawing. Turns out we were poo poo from the start!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

boo boo bear posted:

just like magnets got two poles, some assholes are fascinating and others are repulsive. this show is only giving us the latter.

Can't have rupulsive assholes in my tv show, it ruins the experience!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Some of yall are so loving bored you are going to hatewatch the entire season.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 2, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

:laffo:

If just the scientist part happened IRL tomorrow, the world would be in a giant loving frenzy about it for who knows how long. To say that the scientists dying in the seemingly hosed up way they did without explanation is interesting as gently caress lmao.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mystes posted:

In real life it would just be "oh hey some crazy scientists killed themselves in a dumb way because of paradoxical undressing from hypothermia" and 99% of people would move on, but if people found out they were allegedly researching some ancient microorganism there would also be lots of dumb conspiracy theories about it forever

I haven't even heard about that but it's probably bigger news in Kansas City

I totally disagree and I think you are off your rocker.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

why is everyone so insistent on a virus?

The main mystery has had very little movement the last few episodes. We now know there is a cave. The rest of what we have learned has not been of the main mystery.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I promise you that you don't have to keep watching the show you hate. You have that power.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Yeah I don't quite get the negativity around the show but to each their own of course. I'm liking it. Probably won't be in my top shows for the year but it's way better than just "something to fill the time" TV.

:hmmyes: :same:

I have only one other current tv show I am watching right now and yall doom posting the decent shows is a bummer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The polar bear isn’t real. Was that not obvious by now?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Great episode.

Sickening posted:

This episode was interesting but the story doesn't seem to be speeding up. We get why the leading women don't like each other (I mean covering that up would cause tension, doesn't matter who did it). We look closer in why being a native in the area is loving awful. We learn almost zero.

The leading women hate abusers and have a ton of experience with them. Danvers also has a thing for people being abused not speaking up for themselves, victim blame etc. The dad cop is giving me sneaky dangerous vibes while masking it as a meek quiet type. Its 100% sickness from the ice story that as a fluke exposes a covered up old murder that has nothing to do with it. Dad cop gets exposed as a murderer and a sex pest, son pulls the trigger, danvers dies in a pool of her own blood finally showing signs of being human/likeable before the dark takes her. The end. The flat circle is just people doing evil poo poo and its on a cave drawing. Turns out we were poo poo from the start!

I am an oracle.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Who the gently caress is scraeming "WATCH A SHOW YOU LIKE" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never watch shows i like.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

This is the fifth time you've made this post, are you ok?

A lot of repeat posting going on, I am just going with the flow.

TheBizzness posted:

The only one I question is the poster who hasn’t watched in a month but still posting

What about the person who hates the music but loves billie eilish. I am starting to suspect that the issue is that they don't like billie eilish. Another mystery left to be solved.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Turns out teen characters in film are often played by adults. Its wild.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

This show is bad but there’s one episode left. This episode wasn’t good, you’re just all happy something actually happened in it (even if, with a few moments of thinking, none of it makes any loving sense)
I feel like, with one hour left, pretty much the mystery is what we think it is. Clarke is the killer, the people of Ennis are hosed because of the mine polluting the water. That’s it, couldn’t imagine they have time for any (sensible) big twists or turns.

:aloom: this is almost as entertaining as the show.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah I remembered her mentioning she was a vet….that whole sequence happened SO fast and had NO tension at all? It was so weird that they just seemed to be speeding through it.

There was a very quick flashback to a soldier missing half their head. She remembered it when she was asked if she thought god was real.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Despera posted:

Anyone know why Navarros sister was turned in 4 balls after cremation? They had to grind up the balls after that.

I would assume its just the machine that process the ashes after being burnt. Seems inconvenient if you need to grind them up again before putting them in an urn, but cremation hardware seems very serious machinery.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Looking forward to the last episode. The ending is still so wide open and I hope its doozy.

The thread should also be entertaining no matter the quality of the episode.

th3t00t posted:

:thurman:

I think I liked Episode 5? Things feel like they were finally coming together and ramping up.

Prior staying over in Liz's shed bothered me though. You can't just stay in an unheated shed in the middle of sub freezing temperatures with no gear without freezing to death. It feels like the kind of stupid thing that someone who has never experienced cold weather in their life would write.

The shed you might personally have in your backyard and a shed in alaska are probably built much differently on average. I don't know what you could hope to store in a shed in sub zero temps that was built the same as your lawnmower shed in florida. I get the TV isn't explaining this important nuance but :aloom:.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 13, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Any building someone is going to spend any amount of time inside north of the Arctic circle is going to have some kind of heating situation even if it's just a space heater you turn on periodically.

I'm really not interested in continuing a feud with you, but if you'd like to interpret a mention of "people not paying attention to the show they're watching" as digs at yourself there's nothing I can do about that.

That is what I meant. I also think people who have lived in alaska all their life have these basics figured out and it doesn't need to be explained in detail to the viewer. The assumption is that wonder boy is going to survive the night sleeping in the loser shed.

The entire point to the scene was "gently caress this shack sucks, why am I sitting in a lovely lawn chair instead of being at home?".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nwin posted:

I haven’t started watching this yet and I’m not sure if the season is finished quite yet, but is this season good? I’m not expecting season 1 levels of greatness, but better than 2 and 3?

Its a good tv show. Its just a tv series that has a very "special" following on the forums. They have brain worms.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I’m baffled at how many people in this thread like this season. It feels like criminal minds or something other than True Detective. The cinematography is terrible. The lighting is both flat and way too bright. The music choices are awful. The script feels general and stupid. The mystery could potentially be interesting if they stuck to it for more than a couple episodes. There’s points where the script honestly just feels ai generated.

You are still going to watch, goon in a well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Endings are hard and this was wasn't very good. Nothing has a satisfying resolution. I wasn't expecting a happy ending, but this ending was just confusing and rushed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

They could have very easily done the mob justice explanation in a way that wasn't.... cracked? Did the scientist killing confession need the forced girl power vibe? Did these random extra's need a story line? Did they really need lines at all? Extra's monologuing ... leads to very predictable results.

This feel like it the last episode was affected by the writers strike and a producer just kind of typed out some pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://x.com/pauvazco/status/1759451156466618417?s=20