Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Show is OK, Jody Foster is good, ice horror is always good, being so explicit with the spirals and stuff is whatever but Season 1 is so great that I'll take it.

My main complaint is the opening song which is incredibly god loving awful and out of place. Wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Billie Eilsh is actually a stellar singer but she writes pop songs for young people (and is a kid herself).

Go listen to Ocean Eyes right now. Tell me that voice (and her older brother's production) isn't something special.

I know this which is why it's bizarre that the song is autotune garbage that sounds like discount store O Superman

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

S1’s theme was the most western poo poo ever which is really silly for a show set in the bayou, but it fit the mood extremely well.

S1 should have had a setting-appropriate theme, something like https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRRW3aine6Y

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Fair enough! I just don’t think I know why they were at the hospital to begin with?

Danvers got a call saying there was an accident in the search party. Somebody fell or shot someone by accident or something and they were fighting about it.

They didn't look at Annie K's phone yet because they only found it in the trailer last episode and Peter only just got it open.

Show is pretty lovely but these things are all said straight out!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

This feels like a teen YA show with the music cuts every 2 minutes and melodrama and lack of any real cohesion. It's like the show is afraid to build any tension, it's all blam blam blam.

Season 1 is a very high bar but it's incredible at this. Everything is given room to breathe and when stuff happens, stuff happens.

The tracking shot gets a lot of rightful praise but the entire sequence leading up to it, Rust going in and Marty being a loving dumbass and watching the boat leave, is just as good.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gresh posted:

Ok I'm pretty much ready to call this a very bad show. Like what am I even supposed to be invested in at this point? I don't give a poo poo about anyone, all these subplots are so lame and generic and bland and the mystery isn't compelling or interesting at all. I almost fell asleep but the last 5 minutes jolted me back awake but even then the supernatural in a TD show is silly.

Yeah this is the biggest problem with the show, it's just boring. It's a mishmash of barely-veiled influences with weak True Detective S1 fanservice thrown in and is just...boring? None of the plots work?

I'll keep watching that garbage but expecting it to be totally forgotten by everyone in a few months.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The central mystery is now who the "her" they woke up is, assuming she did infact do the murders. I hope it's like a hosed up looking ancient wendigo lady thing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wonder if the original show title was just Night Country.

Remove the spiral, Tuttles, and Travis and there's no connection at all to S1 so far, so guess we'll see if anything else shows up. Maybe the ex prostitute Marty was cheating with appears and says wow I used to know Travis's son's former partner, Marty Hart, isn't that incredible?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think this show is awful, but it really lacks the confidence of the previous seasons, and it's relying on so many tired and lazy writing tropes and it's not like the acting is carrying it like it was in season 3.

Jodie Foster: "LMAO you pray???? Talk to your god????????"

Navarro: "No.............. I listen................."

Jodie Foster: *Stunned silence over how insightful this comment was*

Like come on

Yeah lol the writing is generally quite bad, which is fine most of the time, but when it tries to be profound it falls very very flat.

Believer vs atheist is so boring and worn out and I hope they throw something novel in there but it's probably way too late for that.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Deadite posted:

Have they talked at all about the victims’ families? I can’t remember if it’s explained but it feels really weird that they have five dead guys and no family members have come to see them or are calling constantly for answers.

That and a seemingly total lack of press coverage. You’d think something like this would get out fast and CNN would be there the CNN ext day.

This show seems to have a real casual attitude towards the central mystery

They mentioned the families are all around the world so it might take a while to notify them all but that's about it.

There's this incoherence between the central mystery and the rest of the show. It'll all be related plot-wise, probably, but it feels like 2 or 3 different shows mashed together. There's a lack of thematic consistency which is something every prior season has done a generally good job with, even S2.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Navarro did it

There's my guess idk sure why not

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

algebra testes posted:

John Hawkes is absolutely killing as just the worst dude ever, by the way. Just total dogshit. Great performance.

Yeah he sucks rear end (the character), really great performance. I'm more interested in knowing how his Russian wife saga ends than the murder mystery.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I would feel a lot more satisfied with the show if just one of the mysteries had been solved by now, halfway through. Or at least progress made. Instead we've got a bunch of stuff that presumably will get some kind of resolution near the end.

This is something S1 does exceptionally well, there's a huge climax with a (false) resolution to the murder mystery at the end of the 5th episode and a really tense build up to it in the 4th. The audience is left feeling like the detectives did their job and solved the case, even if we also feel something isn't quite right.

Maybe we'll get some kind of climax in episode 4, I hope so, the wheel spinning is frustrating.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Well, he's right

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

Some of yall are so loving board you are going to hatewatch the entire season.

It is OK to watch shows and criticize them for their positive and negative qualities

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

In think the season is extremely mid to ok right now but with the short season a lot of the overall result is going to hinge on how it wraps up.

It does sort of feel like parts of the show with all the background easter eggs is leaning more on LOST mystery boxing and Marvel youtube fan “10 THINGS YOU MISSED IN EPISODE 2” methods of engagement moreso than just having a good, clean story with fascinating character development like S1.

Yes. Part of what made S1 so great is that there is no mystery box, there are no stupid theories encouraged by the showrunners, there is just the story. People tried to come up with some regarding Marty's daughters and father in law and thankfully that was nonsense - can't blame viewers though because we are trained to expect mystery box bullshit in TV now. The resolution of the whodunnit, and the false resolution too, all make great sense and feed back into the major theme of the show.

Hopefully the same will happen with this one, I just want a satisfying resolution that doesn't feel out of left field.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Jump scares with ghosts have been the worst part of horror for like the last two decades

it feels very lazy in this show. just kinda boring. I have no idea what this show is about.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jeep posted:

i know this has been a persistent problem but it bears repeating this week: drat the music selection is so bad lmao

It's rare that music in dramatic moments can completely ruin a scene but that's what happened this episode. The sister walking off into the ice should have been a somber, sad moment and here's more Billie Elish!

The whole show is just afraid to let itself have any space, like it doesn't trust the viewer to know what's going on if they are not constantly bombarded with musical cues or flashbacks.

I am looking forward to a dramatic conclusion in ice cave Carcosa. Please give me a wendigo, this will redeem the entire show.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

Anything short of "mass psychological issues caused by released ancient virus" will be lame. Previous mental illness issues exacerbating the virus pan out well.

Wendigo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The music is fine as music, Billie Elish is cool and Mazzie Star is great, but the choices of where they're using the music in the show is awful and the general reliance on having music playing so much at all is very annoying. Silence is ok!!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

For being such an ominous and evil presence in the town, the mine hasn’t really done anything especially evil in the series so far, other than poison the water supply. The mine owner/head administrator seems pretty reasonable in all appearances so far. I can’t really blame her for wanting to prosecute someone for petty vandalism or for hating a cop for personal reasons.

Maybe if we saw the private security goons busting protestors’ heads or workers being treated badly, but so far they’re no more evil than I imagine the local police are, which is to say plenty evil, but not in a notable way.

It is yet another effect of there being way too many characters and too many side plots. It's hard to care about anything when it's given 5 minutes of screen time over 4 episodes.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Navarro: theres no ice caves around

Teacher guy: actually there are

Navarro and Danvers: oh OK cool

very good writing around the introduction of the ice caves

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

wow, Rust Cohle and Harry Potter are cousins?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Doltos posted:

The jump scares in this are identical to Grave Encounters. Open mouth pointing. It's so incredibly lazy. A product of zero ambiance on the mystical side of this season.

They should have either grounded the season completely in reality or gone full into the horror. If they went full realistic it could have been a great story about figuring out the cold case murder while dealing with resistant locals from the tribes and the town. If they went full horror they could have explored more ghost stuff and tundra mysticism without it being jarring.

As a big Grave Encounters fan, yeah absolutely, gonna need to rewarch Grave Encounters again now. Way better movie than this show. Everyone should watch it. It's fun.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Digital Prophet posted:

This really feels like somebody pitched a show called "Night Country," and the HBO execs were like "Okay, we like this, but what if it was True Detective?"

This is literally exactly what happened!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Seldom Posts posted:

The recurring bit in this thread where goons can't understand basic plot points or symbolism or retain simple information about the characters, and then use that as a basis to criticize the show is pretty hilarious.

Overall I'm enjoying the show. I think it's pretty good television, but not top tier.

naw I'm following along fine its just shallow and lovely. thats OK I will keep watching that garbage.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

I promise you that you don't have to keep watching the show you hate. You have that power.

it's schlocky lovely tv to watch for fun while hanging out with your friends/family/posting pals, not everything has to be high art, people like watching lovely tv!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kawabata posted:

Yeah but it's been marketed as high art or close as far as tv's concerned, between the True Detective naming, how it's directed and the cast they chose. Jodie Foster as lead doesn't exactly screams "lovely tv I can enjoy with my friends while eating mozzarella sticks and texting".

The show has failed on almost all fronts and it's really hard to take it seriously now, with only 2 episodes left. It's still not unpleasant tv because of the level of production and the cast they're working with, but some moments are really grating. For example, I would really like the director to keep sad loving pop songs to herself instead of playing them during a suicide scene like you would in a teen show.

Oh yeah it's very disappointing in that sense, True Detective is a failed franchise doomed chasing a high of a near-perfect first season. I hope this season is what kills the brand once and for all.

Spot on with the teen show, the whole thing feels like YA, been saying that from the beginning. It's designed for an audience with no attention span and brains that aren't fully developed.

Show would have been better if it was left as Night Country but then no one would be watching it or have heard of it, myself included.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

the writers of s1 thought the nonsense coming out of Cohle's mouth was cool+real as hell.

lol it's just recycled stuff from Thomas Ligotti, the type of writing that appeals very much to teenage to early 20s boys

Ligotti is a good fiction writer don't get me wrong

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what does the lovely looking polar bear symbolize

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

EmptyVessel posted:

Danvers' dead child's toy - which has been obvious for a while imo (they both have that missing eye for starts)

the real polar bear symbolizes the stuffed polar bear?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dr Who whitening his teeth because he plans to run for mayor was a funny little touch

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

The polar bear isn’t real. Was that not obvious by now?

I think it's real, we see Danvers throw it out into the snow!

Doltos posted:

I was thinking that Danvers sees the same ghosts that Navarro does but she's in denial but it doesn't seem that fleshed out as a concept

I agree and it's cool if true, when she's so adamant that Navarro saw something in the room with Wheeler it's because she is the one who saw the dead girl's ghost. Maybe Navarro did too.

It's very annoying that no one seems too interested in what the mysterious spiral that keeps showing up actually means. It's old and uhhh that's it?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ithle01 posted:

It's not going to be supernatural. True Detective likes to hint at little occult stuff, but as a previous poster said the cosmic horror is just in the background and the real danger are regular human beings. Well, maybe not regular normal humans, but just humans. If you want supernatural stuff watch the X-Files (excellent show) or, I guess, Fortitude. I have no idea what Fortitude is about but other posters talked about it and now I want to watch it so I think I might do that. Something about evil supernatural stuff in the 'safest town on Earth' in the arctic circle.

Which I guess means it's like True Detective, but way less depressing and there's going to be a demon or something.

Idk this season has already had more explicit supernatural stuff like Rust dad ghost pointing out the location of the bodies. Iirc the past seasons didn't have anything like that, where something supernatural made a direct impact on the real world.

Season 1 didn't even really have anything supernatural at all, the only weird stuff was explained straightforwardly as Rust's lingering effects from years of drug abuse.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

It just pisses me off because you have like two decades of internet poisoned american parapolitics to draw from. you have the range and width of conspiracy, occult, psychedelia, epstein, dulles, pynchon, internet, DEATH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER, new religious movements, qanon chuds, real life actual darkness, arghh, and they gently caress it up. And presentin.g and centering the indigenous voice is such a good place to take this series and nope.

I'm just saying, you take ten insane content poisoned internet people and you could write a pretty compelling series and yet. Argh. Oh well. Hell, make a series that, as a subplot, refutes nick land and th shittt dark enlightenment folks. Oil, Alaska, oil, resource, climate change, conspiracy, protestors of the mine are funded by the mine, etc. it's all right there.

As much as insane paranoiac conspiracies and parapolitics are one of my favorite hobbies, it'd be very hard to turn that into a mainstream TV show.

Maybe if you centered it around historical characters it could work, like the Blue Book show being centered around Hynek. Let's do Mad Men but it's Edward Landsdale faking vampies and the plot is about the development of psywar and looted Japanese war gold. There are plenty of colorful characters and stories in the field to pick.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did people at the time think the killer reveal in season one was pretty stupid? He’s not a really great or interesting element compared to the rest, imo.

It's the weakest part of the season for sure. It all makes perfect sense thematically and plot-wise but the shift in the last episode is awkward and the barrage of "a ha" clues with the green paint and old lady whose house was painted is pretty weak.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

People were definitely sour on the finale and reveal.

I personally was on the edge of my seat during the whole trip through “carcosa” but that did not seem to be the prevailing feeling in the thread afterward.

The episode itself is pretty good, the final showdown is great. I think a lot of people wanted some reveal like the preacher or state senator Tuttle was the killer, but how it's presented is way more realistic. The elite perverts that rule the world need bagmen like lawnmower guy to do their dirty work and sweep the floors at Carcosa, they just show up to do the hosed up abuse and rituals.

The cover-up was still very real, but by the time the show ends a lot of the old Carcosa pedophile/murderer network had fallen apart.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I solve this problem by never going to IMDB until after I've seen the whole show

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Justin Credible posted:

An excellent example of even years and years later just missing the point. He was in a bad mental place for a long time from the death of his kid. But he wouldn't go through all the effort he did if he really believes all the poo poo he spouted as a defense mechanism for his trauma.

Stopping the killer, almost dying and having an out of body experience was enough of extreme emotional and mental state for him to crack the walls he put up and open up.

He was always the person he ended up as. He didn't 'randomly turn into an optimist'.

One of the great tricks the show does is have Rust appear to be this whacko nihilist who nobody likes, but he's actually a much better person than Marty who is an alcoholic piece of poo poo cheater. The flip of Marty going "this girl is underage what are you doing" to loving her a few years later is so good. He sucks.

Rust was a good man who experienced horrible trauma and it took him decades and accomplishing vengeance against real evil and almost dying in the process to start to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

In episode 6, all the True Detectives show up in the ice caves for a huge party.