Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

If by this board you mean the entire internet then sure I guess but also, gently caress off.

TheBizzness posted:

you know I was like, just playing around right?

Hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
fite country

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Oh well in that case, gently caress off.

(You take posting about tv on the internet, way too seriously)

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 7, 2024

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

Oh well in that case, gently caress off.

Is this playing around?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

EmptyVessel posted:

Danvers' dead child's toy - which has been obvious for a while imo (they both have that missing eye for starts)

the real polar bear symbolizes the stuffed polar bear?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Despera posted:

Is this playing around?

You’re entitled to not like the same tv as me, if my first gently caress off offended I apologize. The second one and the comment about taste were definitely meant in jest.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

You’re entitled to not like the same tv as me, if my first gently caress off offended I apologize. The second one and the comment about taste were definitely meant in jest.

What the gently caress are you talking about

EDIT: sorry this was in jest

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

my bony fealty posted:

Are we certain the polar bear is real?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if Navarro’s “one of these days those dogs are going to eat you” line to Qaavik is going to end up coming to pass.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I only just watched the first two eps but that intro song and some of the needle drops are obnoxious

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Despera posted:

I suppose your taste is better than theirs

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/true_detective/s04

The Obi Wan Kenobi show is at 82% on RT. Power of the Dog's at 94%, a movie I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and I'm a big consumer of artsy stuff from directors that call themselves "auteurs".

I used to value RT's scores a bit higher in the past but as other goons said they have little to no nuance in scoring, i.e. any strictly not-bad-not-great review is a tomato.

EDIT: Arrow is at 86% LMBO

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The sign that something is bad is, was, and always will be directly correlated to how many people are arguing if the show is bad or not

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Honestly the audience score on RT is USUALLY a safe barometer. The critics score though lol no

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

TheBizzness posted:

Honestly the audience score on RT is USUALLY a safe barometer. The critics score though lol no

Lmao

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dr Who whitening his teeth because he plans to run for mayor was a funny little touch

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

Anonymous Zebra posted:

A much smoother way to handle the suicide would have had Navarro drop off her sister at home and let her know she'd be back to see her later in the evening. Then she's driving with Pete and calls her to check on her and let her know she'll be a bit late, but her sister is already at the boat and strips down after hanging up. Then her body is found by the same search party of police that are already out there, and since they're locals they recognize her and call Navarro.

drat I really like this change! Makes way more sense and we get more from the locals in town.

my bony fealty posted:

I thought the polar bear was like a physical manifestation of Danvers’ trauma, like a panic attack but a polar bear instead. A polar attack if you will. Some things (subconsciously?) remind her of the fatal car accident, and it’s repressed enough that when it comes out it’s like a terrifying force of nature. Basically pulling this out of my rear end tho so this may be paper thin

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
The polar bear is the friends we made along the way in this thread. It’s missing an eye from all the infighting

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The polar bear isn’t real. Was that not obvious by now?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
If it’s not real then Navarro and Danvers are just having the same hallucination?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I was thinking that Danvers sees the same ghosts that Navarro does but she's in denial but it doesn't seem that fleshed out as a concept

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

The polar bear isn’t real. Was that not obvious by now?

I think it's real, we see Danvers throw it out into the snow!

Doltos posted:

I was thinking that Danvers sees the same ghosts that Navarro does but she's in denial but it doesn't seem that fleshed out as a concept

I agree and it's cool if true, when she's so adamant that Navarro saw something in the room with Wheeler it's because she is the one who saw the dead girl's ghost. Maybe Navarro did too.

It's very annoying that no one seems too interested in what the mysterious spiral that keeps showing up actually means. It's old and uhhh that's it?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cranappleberry posted:

the writers of s1 thought the nonsense coming out of Cohle's mouth was cool+real as hell.

If they had anyone other than McConaughey saying that stuff we wouldn't still be talking about the show

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Next episode better be Jodie Foster finding a copy of Werewolf the Apocalypse.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was hoping for more Chicago references, we got two direct ones and one indirect one in the first episode and then nothing after.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
The polar bear ate Holden. It all comes together after that.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A small youtube channel I follow has a good almost 3 hour conversation on s3. It comes from a parapolitical/Ballard/weird paranoid america angle so if that's your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It_5gel0QZM

warning: may contain s2 apologetics

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cranappleberry posted:

the writers of s1 thought the nonsense coming out of Cohle's mouth was cool+real as hell.

They were correct

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I'm starting to think goons just don't like anything! :colbert:

Robobot posted:

And there's no way it's going to be actual ghosts, the killer is gonna be a blend of mental trauma and country bumpkin just like season 1.

I will be so pissed off.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Digital Prophet posted:

I will be so pissed off.

It's not going to be supernatural. True Detective likes to hint at little occult stuff, but as a previous poster said the cosmic horror is just in the background and the real danger are regular human beings. Well, maybe not regular normal humans, but just humans. If you want supernatural stuff watch the X-Files (excellent show) or, I guess, Fortitude. I have no idea what Fortitude is about but other posters talked about it and now I want to watch it so I think I might do that. Something about evil supernatural stuff in the 'safest town on Earth' in the arctic circle.

Which I guess means it's like True Detective, but way less depressing and there's going to be a demon or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

Which I guess means it's like True Detective, but way less depressing and there's going to be a demon or something.

:allears:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
little poster, this is carcosa

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ithle01 posted:

It's not going to be supernatural. True Detective likes to hint at little occult stuff, but as a previous poster said the cosmic horror is just in the background and the real danger are regular human beings. Well, maybe not regular normal humans, but just humans. If you want supernatural stuff watch the X-Files (excellent show) or, I guess, Fortitude. I have no idea what Fortitude is about but other posters talked about it and now I want to watch it so I think I might do that. Something about evil supernatural stuff in the 'safest town on Earth' in the arctic circle.

Idk this season has already had more explicit supernatural stuff like Rust dad ghost pointing out the location of the bodies. Iirc the past seasons didn't have anything like that, where something supernatural made a direct impact on the real world.

Season 1 didn't even really have anything supernatural at all, the only weird stuff was explained straightforwardly as Rust's lingering effects from years of drug abuse.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It just pisses me off because you have like two decades of internet poisoned american parapolitics to draw from. you have the range and width of conspiracy, occult, psychedelia, epstein, dulles, pynchon, internet, DEATH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER, new religious movements, qanon chuds, real life actual darkness, arghh, and they gently caress it up. And presenting and centering the indigenous voice is such a good place to take this series and nope.

I'm just saying, you take ten insane content poisoned internet people and you could write a pretty compelling series and yet. Argh. Oh well. Hell, make a series that, as a subplot, refutes nick land and th shittt dark enlightenment folks. Oil, Alaska, oil, resource, climate change, conspiracy, protestors of the mine are funded by the mine, etc. it's all right there.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 7, 2024

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Makes me wonder how season 2 would have went if it leaned way more into the “secret occult history of the US transportation system”.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

It just pisses me off because you have like two decades of internet poisoned american parapolitics to draw from. you have the range and width of conspiracy, occult, psychedelia, epstein, dulles, pynchon, internet, DEATH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER, new religious movements, qanon chuds, real life actual darkness, arghh, and they gently caress it up. And presentin.g and centering the indigenous voice is such a good place to take this series and nope.

I'm just saying, you take ten insane content poisoned internet people and you could write a pretty compelling series and yet. Argh. Oh well. Hell, make a series that, as a subplot, refutes nick land and th shittt dark enlightenment folks. Oil, Alaska, oil, resource, climate change, conspiracy, protestors of the mine are funded by the mine, etc. it's all right there.

As much as insane paranoiac conspiracies and parapolitics are one of my favorite hobbies, it'd be very hard to turn that into a mainstream TV show.

Maybe if you centered it around historical characters it could work, like the Blue Book show being centered around Hynek. Let's do Mad Men but it's Edward Landsdale faking vampies and the plot is about the development of psywar and looted Japanese war gold. There are plenty of colorful characters and stories in the field to pick.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

my bony fealty posted:

As much as insane paranoiac conspiracies and parapolitics are one of my favorite hobbies, it'd be very hard to turn that into a mainstream TV show.

Yeah, it didn't last very long.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HermitSupplier posted:

Makes me wonder how season 2 would have went if it leaned way more into the “secret occult history of the US transportation system”.

It would need to all take place in denver

e: the killings would be in the airport. They'd be FBI detectives and the aha moment is they're flying out and notice the layout is a swastika

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

my bony fealty posted:

Idk this season has already had more explicit supernatural stuff like Rust dad ghost pointing out the location of the bodies. Iirc the past seasons didn't have anything like that, where something supernatural made a direct impact on the real world.

Season 1 didn't even really have anything supernatural at all, the only weird stuff was explained straightforwardly as Rust's lingering effects from years of drug abuse.

This isn’t explicitly supernatural but it is otherworldly and not just Rusts drug addled mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpELJbSxx8

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

->

TheBizzness posted:

Are we certain the polar bear is real?

But really it's a clue that this is actually a sequel to :lost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Rewatched seasons 1 and 2 recently which tempered my expectations for this, so I’ve been enjoying it

1 holds up but wasn’t as good as I remembered, and 2 is still pretty bad in comparison but not as terrible as it’s made out to be

I agree it probably should have been its own thing but also agree that the vast majority of us would not have watched it if it was