Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'll always be a TD 'all seasons rule especially 1&2' Stan but this feels like a last ever season dash. Until the reboot in twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

season 2 had an incredible series of posts written about it on reddit, which have unfortunately all been deleted and lost to time. there remains some deep dives on the net: i.e.https://web.archive.org/web/20170321173359/https://zircillius.com/2015/08/23/true-detective-season-2-review-the-dead-puppet-factory/ but yeah, s2 goes a hell of a lot deeper than ppl give it credit for imho. lots of william burroughs in it. (Cities of the Red Night is a fantastic book/trilogy and s2 takes a lot from it).
e: here's a good one citing greek tragedies as the template for s2: https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/3hbnrn/season_2_the_greek_tragedy_aspect_isnt_talked/?onetap_auto=true&one_tap=true

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 16, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I don’t think the supernatural stuff wasn’t real. I think the supernatural was just a guiding force that emanated through the entire series. There’s a dark force that’s always there. It just doesn’t give them answers. The ending also is bittersweet because they didn’t really change anything. The real criminals are still in power and doing what they always did. They just caught some patsy.

Panzeh posted:

One of the things that season 1 did that was probably correct was make the supernatural stuff not real at the end, and it even basically had Marty break the case in the end, because while Rust could see connections in everything, Marty could see what was right in front of him. It wouldn't shock me if they chose to make the supernatural stuff real in this season, to try to differentiate it.
yeah, i mean i think s1 is a masterclass in ambiguity and is a gold standard for one of my favourite ever tropes:https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MaybeMagicMaybeMundane

Euphoriaphone posted:

[...][*]A perp is captured in the end but the true criminal (the system) lives on[...]
i don't think they'll ever recapture this theme because i don't think the hbo suits saw it as important as it is for TD. s2 does it well too but it drops off in s3.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t know what exactly is being told, but I do think it’s telling that not once has Rachel McAdams been mentioned in Season 2 chat.

Lampsacus posted:

i like how rachel mcadams vapes and does cool knife attacks.
she's awesome.

e: oh whoops that was a different thread, sorry. still!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SimonChris posted:

I'll always maintain that Season 2 is a must-watch just for the incredible over-the-top faux noir dialogue. I have never heard anything like it before or since:
Yes! Yes! It's so good. Nick, the writer, said he did it to piss off anybody wanting a reprise of characters saying odd poo poo. S2 was mostly told through music anyway, I think you are meant to see the dialog as these afterlife puppets, forced to say specific things in the hope they will regain their lives at the end of it. But they won't.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Am I misremembering or was there a suggestion at the end that Hart’s daughter was on medication for a mood disorder in 2012, partially explaining her difficulties as a teenager?
Marty: And Audrey, how... how's she?
Maggy: She's fine, at the moment. She sometimes decides she doesn't need her meds. I like her boyfriend. He watches out for her. She had an art show in New Orleans, sold some paintings.

Yeah but i think the broader insinuation is that she is one of those zany art girls and expressive and is now free to florish, which meant her personality was always going to clash with traditionalist 'low in openess-to-experience' Marty. Now, if Rust was her father...

She'd be dead!!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Maggie mentions it in the last episode of S1 when Hart visits her I think.

Never watched S2 or S3 but now I'm tempted to give them a shot. S2 was obviously a misfire but Farrell is usually good in just about anything and I'm low-key fascinated by media endeavors like S2 where the performances and framing are so clearly influenced by the expectations that it was going to be another runaway success that it warps the final product. Like there's no way Vaughn or even McAdams end up in that show without their agents selling them on the idea of it being a chance to remind everyone that they're "serious actors".
yeah even if you don't vibe with s2, its common consensus that Farrell absolutely acts the crap out of his role. Also, what's funny is Vaughn was told his gangster character would be a parody of Rust's character, to be played satirically and he'd be cast against his type and he still went for it. which is rad.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I sometimes wonder why ppl find S2 so abrasive and I think it's because if you think the creators are trying to do S1 again, S2 comes across as in the uncanny valley. Wait, I should rephrase that: S2 is close enough in nature to S1 that if you go into it with expectations that it will be a continuation of S1 AND you think the creators are trying to continue S1, it comes across as something in the 'abrasive valley'.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

i feel like TD has been connected not just to Epstein, but prefiguring Epstein...in a causal sense..

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Gangs of London (season 1 only!!)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There's going to be a lifetime of youtube essays of how this season went so wrong.

Season one and two are so tremendously good, in their own ways.

I also can't help but laugh that this season is full of continuity and set dressing errors when it's entire brand is built on being good in the smallest details. Unless all the errors are on purpose... Like it's a big brain play... Like season two is good actually... Arghhh nooooo

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's like a bad b-movie at this point, isn't it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

i mean, its all just words. i feel s2 is good b movie.
'its a bad b movie now' is just what i said involuntarily out loud to myself when th episode ended lol

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Loving the discussion and all the posts. This show feels like its running on the fumes of the reputation of a season literally a decade ago.
s1: amazing
s2: weird (in, imho) an incredible and underrated way
s3: blegh. good moments and acting but resolution ruined it.
s4: bad

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Who’s the kindest true detective? I vote Hays in season 3. Taylor Kitsch didn’t seem too bad either.
Chief, that stuff we did. Black Mountain. We did it for America.

But yeah, I think Hays and Taylor for sure.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ruddiger posted:

S3 ends on probably the best shot of the entire series.
Agreed. It's both good on it's own and especially good after rummaging around this dude's psychology for the length of the season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9LWwhtfXpY

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Season 3's mystery is like the opposite of this season's, in so many ways.

It was an absolutely fine season.

The only thing I have against it is that the recap sites and Twitter took the exact wrong thing from the spectacular ending. 'Ooooh. So he never left Vietnam. This was all just in his head. Like a test for the afterlife.' No. That's not literal. I don't even care if Nic came out and says it was meant to be.
agreed.
also some tropes in theorizing are universal.
-they are dead
-it was all a dream
etc

its like the background radiation of tv show speculation. every single show, they could be dead. home improvement? they are all actually dead.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

s1=they think they are dead but are alive
s2=they think they are alive but are dead (egypt mythos)

we can extend this but it doesn't really work lol:
s3=they think they are alive and are alive
s4=they think they are dead and are dead

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

a common conceit is s2, at least attempted, to invert s1 in a few ways. you know, to be all edgy and subvert expectations. s2 has three leads who are 'already dead' but don't realize it, and when they do then the show dramatises it by having them die on screen (all shot). this was written to be the mirror of s1 where the two leads are all like "'hey wow the lights winning" "maybe we had it all and should have appreciated it". but i don't know, this is where you start to go down the rabbit hole of fan theories and such aha. there is also a LOT of egyptian/underworld motifs in s2 that supports this.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

I don't mind the supernatural but don't see the need to introduce it when it's not necessary. In SE02 it's enough that they're "dead men walking".

The interpretation I mentioned for season 3 isn't out of nowhere to be fair. The last shot is of him back in Vietnam, with what may appear to be a 4th wall break and/or the same expression he'd given earlier. But it works far better as a metaphor. And also, if you know how memory in dementia works, is more chilling than anything else that season.

It's overall a terrific ending:

First we learn what happened with the boy's death. It's interesting & sad but 1/20th as dark as what we expected.

Next we get a potential break in solving the last piece of the puzzle, not due to coincidence but rather only made possible by character growth we've seen throughout the season.

After this we have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory at the last moment.

A minute later we realize that this is almost certainly for the best.

We get one final scene showing Hay's love for his wife.

And then a final shot that can mean a dozen different things, of which him being dead would be the least interesting.

yeah agreed.its a really good ending, especially when you lay it out like that. the last shot just rules. i am partial to the meaning 'he was always a scout, he was always in the jungle'

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Watching the season made me go back and watch the X-Files episode “Ice” last night, and so there’s at least one top tier episode that this season has provided for me!

I think the season trying to do one episode a day doesn’t help, it makes a lot of things seem really rushed.

Super Bowl this Sunday.
yeah you could probably put together a little list of alternatives to watching TD season 4 like:
X-Files episode “Ice
The Terror s1
Fortitude s1-s3
e: Monsieur Spade

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A small youtube channel I follow has a good almost 3 hour conversation on s3. It comes from a parapolitical/Ballard/weird paranoid america angle so if that's your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It_5gel0QZM

warning: may contain s2 apologetics

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It just pisses me off because you have like two decades of internet poisoned american parapolitics to draw from. you have the range and width of conspiracy, occult, psychedelia, epstein, dulles, pynchon, internet, DEATH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER, new religious movements, qanon chuds, real life actual darkness, arghh, and they gently caress it up. And presenting and centering the indigenous voice is such a good place to take this series and nope.

I'm just saying, you take ten insane content poisoned internet people and you could write a pretty compelling series and yet. Argh. Oh well. Hell, make a series that, as a subplot, refutes nick land and th shittt dark enlightenment folks. Oil, Alaska, oil, resource, climate change, conspiracy, protestors of the mine are funded by the mine, etc. it's all right there.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 7, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Is this one of those confusing seasons where it's seen as bad but maybe good and then later critically reappraised as amazing but then only internet posters care

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

mark immune posted:

2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Unironically seconded. 1 is wonderful but 2 has some insane things going on in the background that still haven't been fully unpacked. Lots of Ballard and Burroughs influence.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

1>>>>3>2>Night Country.

Honestly they should've just quit the series with all the accolades the first season got. Going back and rewatching the first season you can see all the dumb stuff that has become a mainstay of the series, but at that point it was fresh and cheeky and new.
ol' nick (the writer-creator) said that each series would have 1 element connecting them: interviewing the true detectives as the framing device with flashbacks as the main storyline. presumably, this trope would probably cultimate like s1: the action/story wrapping up in the interview/present timeline.

the closet we got to this framing device ever being used again was s3 and that was more of a re-re-re-re-linkinpark-flunkmaster flex-remix version of it anyway.

honestly if they just stuck to this trope every season this entire show would have at least had an interesting gimmick to keep it at a baseline entertaining. ugahie iowoo watch the terror s1 i don't know

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

My theory is that there were some elements of production (HBO side?) that intentionally aided in tanking this season. There had to be some purposefulness behind how bad it was. Maybe to finally retire the True Detective brand. Maybe it had so much status it would always have to be made whilst not deliver views.

I don't know. We got s1 and the sountrack to s2 out of it so meh. thank you td for introducing me to lera lynn and black mountain.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Born too early for indistinguishable ai set dressing
Born too late for human made set dressing
Born just in time for BALCKMERALL

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Smith Comma John posted:

The tongue (perfectly preserved for how many years?) would tie into the idea of a Tupilaq https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupilaq . I would give the writers credit for this but I’m assuming they simply watched The Terror.
Amazing yes it was right there. I feel like the TD brand is interesting in that everybody seems to think they know exactly the five or six tropes that make something a TD season. They need to have some nerd conference in some major European capital where they come up what makes something TD. Then we can start calling everything TDlikes.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Ive said it before. What makes their dynamic work is Marty is what happens when you don’t think and are maybe not curious, rust is what happens when all you do is think.
ah well said. i never thought of it this way :)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

1 > 2 > 3 > 4

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly this could have fit better as a Red Mirror miniseries. But I guess it's a bit of a trend now to eternalise acclaimed tv shows with badly written seasons. I have a feeling that was always a trend in content, really.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Previous seasons have some dumb/interesting pretentious philosophy informing it. S2 Ballard, S3 satanic panic, etc. did this one? Season one had the last messiah or some bullshit.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I hope its a team up cumulation season lead by Stan.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

yeah the main obstacle the TD brand faces is that everybody has a different idea on what made s1 good. it might be a handful of tropes, or only the chemistry of the duo leads, or maybe how it was always teetering at the edge of cosmic horror but never falling into genre. I, personally, think it was crab man! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5yDzzOEps OR the bridge they travel on first. that bridge is just excellent.

but seriously folks, why can't the TD go in MY direction?

- parapolitics
- pyramids
- Parallax View, The
- poison
- maybe-magic-maybe-mundane trope https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MaybeMagicMaybeMundane
- almost but not quite cosmic horror
- lush landscapes
- ambiguity
- memorable well acted bit characters (how good were they in s1 seriously)
- ????
- Ballard, Burroughs, DEATH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 23, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I think season 2 is a lot more self aware than people give it credit for.
Yeah some of the criticism is similar to criticizing Lynch films for having wooden acting. Like, that's the point hombres.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's really interesting how the tone shift causes most s1 fans to bounce off it hard. It just immediately tastes different that ppl spit it out. And fair enough too.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

s2 has some fantastic bit part characters too. well acted!
-the hippie ram dass knock off dad
-the plastic surgeon/psychiatrist
-the mayor + his son
-nails
-stan

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

maybe it was the elvis impersonator singing on stage "they say love..."¬¬¬
start of s02e02 or s02e03

my favourite hokey moment in s2 is when paul (the ex-soldier motorbike cop) goes to a sports game or car race or something with his friend. it feels so weird for them to be doing a 'off the clock normal person thing' half way through this batshit insane case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

“It's like everything is paper mache.
Season 2 allowed for some great, and some not so great, deep dive head-canon posting: https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/6rg70b/spoilers_crows_and_tracing_the_unseen_web_in_true/
https://biblioklept.org/2015/08/08/a-riff-on-true-detective-season-2s-neon-noir-satire/
etc