Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gotta 92% on rotten tomatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Season 3 was kinda boring and season 2 was bad but in an entertaining way

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
ASSS pen still makes me chuckle

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mistermojo posted:

no one seems to care that much about the corpse pile, including the directors and editors. this is certainly no Hannibal

i like how the russica scammed dad just walks up and hits awesome chin cop and acts like the corpsical isnt even there

the stepdaughter didnt seem fazed by it in the least either

hannibal made art from his corpses though, these are just frozen dead dudes

Im enjoying the season. You cant take this show too seriously. Its always had camp and self awareness.

Maybe im too easy to please. Hook me up with oscar winners playing rear end in a top hat cops solving spooky mysteries and hbo production values every time.

Despera fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 23, 2024

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah. The forever unimpeachable first season’s big reveal had the villain say “my family’s been here a loooooong time” to nobody in particular in a ridiculous drawl. He might as well have done a maniacal laugh.

"I just want you to stop saying odd poo poo" to Rust Cohles character was a bit on the nose

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheBizzness posted:

For anyone who is stressing all the negative posting I offer you this:

They did it to Season 1 also.

As a hardened veteran of the season 1 thread I can say the people who hated it left quickly and every season is full of those posts in the beginning

Also there is very little similar to the dylotov pass incident other than the paradoxical undressing which is fairly common. You don't make a true detective season off "there was an avalanche and they froze"

Despera fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 23, 2024

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

a new study bible! posted:

It’s more than just paradoxical undressing.

I mentioned an avalanche

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Im still mad she refused "Hannibal"

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
God love how European these houses are, make some attempt to find some non Icelandic buildings

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chairman Capone posted:

Who has a college test on December 23?

thats not that uncommon

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lampsacus posted:

It's like a bad b-movie at this point, isn't it.

thats every season

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Feels like Frozen Cavewoman serial killer through the anti freeze powers of ennis water. Very X-Files. Or maybe Clark is scooby dooing everything

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Would really like to see what Danvers tinder profile looked like.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I loved succession and everyone is an rear end in a top hat in it. Root for your favorite rear end in a top hat, who cares?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

boo boo bear posted:

yes. let's compare it to a better show, say deadwood. you've got calamity jane and sy tolliver, both tremendous pieces of poo poo by any definition, but we want one to be redeemed and the other to be hit in the face repeatedly with a brick because they're fascinating characters who draw us into the world. find me a character with similar appeal in this show.

If you are looking for deadwood quality characters in the 4th season of a show that wasnt deadwood good to begin with I dont know what to tell you.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

boo boo bear posted:

not sure how you wound up there, so... miracles from mistakes, I suppose.

You are asking me to find someone in true detective season four with similar level of appeal, "a character that draws you in" like a character in deadwood. You arent going to find any because the writing is not a good as deadwood was. You said it yourself. Seems kinda pointless.

The golden age of tv was 20 years ago

Season one was a decade ago

I am enjoying the "There are too many assholes in MY True Detective" takes though.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Marty is my dad and he doesnt make me mow the lawn

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

Yes. Part of what made S1 so great is that there is no mystery box, there are no stupid theories encouraged by the showrunners, there is just the story. People tried to come up with some regarding Marty's daughters and father in law and thankfully that was nonsense - can't blame viewers though because we are trained to expect mystery box bullshit in TV now. The resolution of the whodunnit, and the false resolution too, all make great sense and feed back into the major theme of the show.

Hopefully the same will happen with this one, I just want a satisfying resolution that doesn't feel out of left field.

Season 1 was an endless stream of stupid theories. Maybe they werent encouraged by the showrunners but the season 1 thread is right there.

The whodunnit was a random law mower guy who had 30 seconds of screen time before the final episode.

Half the thread is "why show not season 1?" Season 1 was 10 loving years ago, overrated by this board and the bookend to two other seasons of meh.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The town has a month without sunlight, poisoned water and basically functions as a for profit gulag. It would be surprising if they weren't all miserable.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i thought it was about two assholes solving a murder but maybe i was watching power rangers

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ithle01 posted:

I feel like that interaction works, even if it was a clumsy way to introduce the caves because it really hits a point that it made last episode which is that although Navarro is an indigenous woman she is absolutely not part of the indigenous community. Otherwise she would probably know something about the ice caves, which I assume are somehow going to be connected to the indigenous stuff and Annie K's murder.

People dont go randomly through the brooks range either. About 600 people live in the area total. Its about 750 by 150 miles big

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 6, 2024

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
oooh the brooks range also has a lot of fossils

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah the way they pidgeonheld Danvers tragic past seems off given the time the show is more or less wasted

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Watched a lot of Gold Rush Alaska the dredges might be used to build a port at ennis or large dredge like machines were used in mining. Could be a combo of the two because the alaskan rivers deposit a lot of gold in their sediment. Alaska has a bunch of these giant dredge like machines from gold rush times just rotting in the middle of nowhere.

Despera fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 6, 2024

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Even season 1 had an episode where nothing happened (6-7 whichever had the boat) and had less ambition in its final episode than the average x-files episode (ooo scary guy in forest). I dont get where these "near perfection" takes come from. Bludgeoning season 4 with the supposed sanctity of season 1 is something to do I guess.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheBizzness posted:

Its coming from people with taste, friend.

I suppose your taste is better than theirs

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/true_detective/s04

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheBizzness posted:

I was referring to this nearly perfect score, actually

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/true_detective/s01

I dunno is 93 higher than 91

The_Rob posted:

Posting the rotten tomatoes score means less than nothing lmao.

Much like someone in tviv telling me their taste is better than mine

Oh but I'm so sorry for pointing season 1 wasn't the be all end all of tv

Despera fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 7, 2024

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheBizzness posted:

If by this board you mean the entire internet then sure I guess but also, gently caress off.

TheBizzness posted:

you know I was like, just playing around right?

Hilarious

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheBizzness posted:

Oh well in that case, gently caress off.

Is this playing around?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also not killing off rust and have him randomly turn into an optimist was kinda lame

Also you'd think rust would know a thing or two about astronomy seeing how the universe has progressively darker with age

Despera fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 8, 2024

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anyone know why Navarros sister was turned in 4 balls after cremation? They had to grind up the balls after that.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

joepinetree posted:

The balls are not Navarros sister. Burning the body leaves bone fragments, etc behind. So you put the sort of coarse remains you see in the beginning along with those balls in the tumbler like device so that those balls crush the fragments and pieces into the ash you see in the urns.

oh ok crusher balls makes sense

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Haters going to hate

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/true-detective-night-country-ratings-series-highs-1235823863/amp/

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

every other TV show is even worse

We had much better TV in 2014 for sure

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I AM GRANDO posted:

It could be great if True Detective became a true anthology where every year some promising writer/director was given 8 episodes to do some kind of pulp mystery with a few random big-name actors.

I mean it kinda is/was only it didnt come out every year. Though with these ratings maybe it will.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
ice caves are hella fun especially in the summer

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

jesus christ his name was velcoro

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I dont get the AI generated either. You can hate True Detectives quirks but its quirks are its own. What AI is going "ghost leads to the bodies and never comes up again?"

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
She's hosed 2 people in the show? The teacher and the police chief guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Its really hard to capture both the characters and the nightsky in the same light