Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Chapter 1: The Reindeer Games

The crunch of freshly fallen snow underfoot.

Breath crystallising upon the air.

The bending of branches and rustling of leaves.

You thought it best to seize upon your attempts to oppose him immediately after his longest night, but something has gone wrong.

You are being chased.

Agios Nikolaos: Chasing a Gift-Bringer is nowadays mostly unheard-of (perhaps this is because of him), but it did not use to be this way. Tell of us a historical example of such a chase, and what became of the Gift-Bringer?

Bellia Breakstar: Something about this chase reminds you of how you earned the Breakstar title, tell us what that involved and why.

ELF: Now this is a situation that you find unfortunately familiar. In fact.... was not a chase involved when you escaped his yoke? Who (or what) gave chase to you then?

Haar, Itinerant: Now this is unusual. Not that you can feel any thrill nor fear from this, of course. But thinking back to times long gone (which isn't hard), this makes you think of when it was you chasing another. Who or what were they, and... did you catch them? If so, what did you do next, and if not, how did they escape?

Match: The cold here is not really affecting you, nor do you have breath to which you can run out of, and yet a chase is on. No-one even chased you when you left the place where you were created. How does this make you feel? Does the fire within you strain at this chase at all? Is this an entirely new experience?

Everyone: In addition to this, please answer one of the following questions (in order but on a first-come-first-serve basis, if you would be so kind):

Who (or what) is chasing you?
Why is it impossible to fight them?
What did you take from them?
Which of you is having trouble keeping up?
After you turn the next corner, what obstacle is right in your way?

OOC Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Infinite Oregano posted:

The crunch of freshly fallen snow underfoot.

Breath crystallizing upon the air.

The bending of branches and rustling of leaves.

You thought it best to seize upon your attempts to oppose him immediately after his longest night, but something has gone wrong.

You are being chased.

Bellia Breakstar: Something about this chase reminds you of how you earned the Breakstar title, tell us what that involved and why.

Everyone: In addition to this, please answer one of the following questions (in order but on a first-come-first-serve basis, if you would be so kind):

OOC Thread

Bellia Breakstar, The Kimera(Orc)

Bellia is bringing up the rear of the Fellowship as they flee, prepared to either carry any of the others who may flag in the chase or provide a distraction if it comes to that. Despite or because of the danger, she can't help but reminisce on how she's ended up in a situation like this before. Before she was Bellia Breakstar, Bell the Kimera had stumbled onto a town suffering under one of Santa's enforcers. Oppressing them from a mansion on high, Bell went in the dead of night and shattered one of the watchtowers, felling it right across the outer wall of the complex.

The guards were quick to respond just as Bell had hoped, and quicker still to chase her as far as she could run. During their attempt to enact their lord's revenge though, the mansion was left unguarded long enough for the people of the town to rise up and oust them. It had cost her an arm for the first time, but a limb that regrows in a new form was a small price to pay for people's freedom.

The Fellowship had certainly expected some resistance despite their presumed advantage, but the dreadnought soldiers pursuing them were an unwelcome surprise that forced their current strategic retreat.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 16, 2024

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Infinite Oregano posted:

ELF: Now this is a situation that you find unfortunately familiar. In fact.... was not a chase involved when you escaped his yoke? Who (or what) gave chase to you then?

Why is it impossible to fight them?

ELF - the Shattered

If any of the members of ELF had breath to spare, they would curse fate for giving them such short legs.

As it stands, it is all they could do to rush forward with all their might, hopping over rocks and forming a united center in the middle of the fellowship. Occasionally, they dare to bound towards the lowest-reaching branches to swing across them, gaining precious seconds on their steelbound pursuers.

The dreadnoughts! They'd heard their lockstep marching just outside their native workshop, on occasion. It is unknown whether they are a type of automaton or an heavily-armored soldier wearing powered armor; what little is known about them comes from the sketches that fearless elfin scouts who dared to approach them closely. A single dreadnought could theoretically be felled with a swift, strong strike at the joints, where the armor was, if not thin, at least breakable. This was all theory, however, and the suspicion was that, if a dying, thrashing dreadnought wouldn't kill them, the next one in line would simply grab the now exposed elf and crack his ribs in his hands like a chestnut.

With a shiver that wasn't entirely due to the cold, Tinsel, Holly and Gingersnap sped up. This time, accelerating was exactly what would save them, unlike the last time they were in similar circumstances-

The thumping of hooves on the snow, like a hammer strike wrapped in cotton. The horrible braying of those horned beasts as they jerked their bodies this way and that, hopping across the treeline, their mismatched body jerked around not by natural forces but by magic infused in their bodies; the red cone of light of the greater one, their youngest and smallest and yet the most dangerous, for its scarlet haze illuminated the night for the others, sweeping away darkness and snowfall alike.

And above all else that horrible voice, that boomed so loud it was like he was yelling directly in your ear and you could all but feel the spittle on your skin:

"Now, Dasher! Now, Prancer! Now, Prancer and Vixen!"
Every time he called them, the beasts seemed filled with unearthly vigor, and their half-flying, half-hopping jumps pushed them further, faster. If only they could make it to the deep woods, they would be too big too-

Tinsel shook his head. Not now. Not now. Now? Just run.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 17, 2024

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Infinite Oregano posted:

Haar, Itinerant: Now this is unusual. Not that you can feel any thrill nor fear from this, of course. But thinking back to times long gone (which isn't hard), this makes you think of when it was you chasing another. Who or what were they, and... did you catch them? If so, what did you do next, and if not, how did they escape?

What did you take from them?

Haar, Itinerant - The Remnant

"Keep moving," Haar growls in a low, smoky timbre, barely audible over the crunch of snow...or the creaking, clanking sounds of the dreadnoughts that pursue them. The spectre known as the Itinerant barely feels things nowadays, but each frantic step of her shambling gait sends a shockwave of discomfort from the tendons of her left leg. It had been so long since she had experienced pain, and now, the candy cane embedded in her leg (a memento from her failed attempt to destroy Him) taunts her every movement.

She cranes her skull, peering over her shoulder, glancing at the dreadnoughts, who make gains upon them in perfect rhythm. The group is outnumbered, and while Haar could fell her fair share of Santa's sickening troops, the prize the fellowship carry can not be risked. The First Gift.

His longest night had come and gone, but his machinations have begun again. He had all year to create the next set of perfect, terrible, gifts, and now the fellowship held the first- a small, unassuming box, barely a hand-span wide, wrapped in an immaculate, velvet ribbon. Haar has no clue what such a gift contains, but by stealing it from Santa's operation, innocents might be spared from the horrors within.

Haar pushes onwards, keeping as fast a pace as she can, weaving through dark, skeletal trees, cursing the horrific form that weighs her spirit down like an anchor. She fights her urge to turn on her heels, spread her claws wide, and wreak havoc upon the dreadnoughts.

In times long past, she would have had no issue losing her pursuers in woods like these. Apricity was full of gorgeous, wintry forests, and her people were skilled at navigating the woodlands. In her younger years Haar loved to play Lyrul, a sport of hunting. Aprous youths would chase each other through the frost-covered treetops, leaping from branch to branch, with the goal of knocking each other to the ground. The last one atop the trees was declared the victor. The first time she ever won Lyrul, she had been pitted against older children - their horns had started to come in, their bodies stronger and faster than hers. Haar had to be smarter- hiding, sneaking, stalking, navigating ambush routes to take her opponents by surprise. How they all laughed and cheered, holding her aloft, crowning her victor with laurels made from pansies.

No one would ever play Lyrul again. No one would treat the forests like a playground. Now, they were places of despondence and terror.

"Keep moving." Haar repeats. This time, she is unsure whether that is an order to her companions, or to herself.

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 17, 2024

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Match: The cold here is not really affecting you, nor do you have breath to which you can run out of, and yet a chase is on. No-one even chased you when you left the place where you were created. How does this make you feel? Does the fire within you strain at this chase at all? Is this an entirely new experience?

Which of you is having trouble keeping up?

The fellowship flees through the snow-covered forest, the tall fir trees at the same time a curse, as they obstruct and obscure what lies ahead, and a blessing, as they provide some protection against the cold, biting winter wind. Just a little ahead of Bellia Breakstar is Match, the wooden automaton escaped from Santa’s workshop, unbothered by the cold, but seemingly more aimless than the rest of the fellowship, so clear in their purpose of escaping the dreadnought soldiers in pursuit.

Snowflakes fall upon and roll off Match’s smooth, varnished wooden body. The mannequin moves in an odd, halting manner, as if unsure where to move - or even how to move. If the threat was not so dire, it might be mistaken for some comedic routine as he switches between walking like a toddler who has just learned how to walk - only with his limbs moving faster than even the most accomplished athlete would be capable of - then rapidly marches as if he was a model soldier, or a toy, his legs flying higher than in the best parade, and finally walking as one normally would when at leisure, only faster.

Something catches Match’s foot, wood on wood, and he falls over into the snow, ramrod straight and face first, arms at his side. For a moment, he sees only the ground and snow.

We are running. We are running away from the people that belong to Him. Nobody explained why we are running away. I think there was no time to explain. I would have liked to ask Nikolaos or the others. I have observed that there are often no spoken instructions, and that I should follow what the others are doing. I should only follow what others are doing if I… trust them. I trust Nikolaos, I think. ELF too. I should think about what Bellia or Haar are doing before I follow them.

We are running away. I am not sure why, but I think it is because the people that are chasing us want to do bad things to us. It is not a game. I already know that I should avoid bad things, but I did not think to run away like the others. I should ask Nikolaos or the others when I should run away and when I should not. I want to help others. Can I help others by running away if someone wants to do bad things to them? I am not sure. But this time someone wants to do bad things to us, so running away should be fine.

I should be running away, but I am not very good at it. Running away is… like walking, but faster. Moving fast does not make me tired or breathe a lot, like the others. But I have to run.

Match gets up, stands up straight - and studies his companions fleeing through the trees, ignoring the sounds of the dreadnought soldiers closing in behind him. As he hears Haar’s exclamation, he inclines his head towards her slightly.

Haar is running fast, but my body is not like hers. I cannot try to do the same things she does. She says I should keep moving, but I need to move right. Bellia is behind me. I should not turn around, and her limbs are different from mine. Nikolaos’ body and limbs are like mine, but it is difficult to see how he is running because he is wearing a big cloak. Tinsel, Holly and Gingersnap are like me, but their legs are much shorter than mine.

Should I try to run like Tinsel, Holly and Gingersnap, but with Nikolaos’ legs?

Match’s head turns, and though his expression is hard to see, he seems undecided. The wooden automata takes a few halting steps, then stops and flexes the wooden joints of his hands, as if struggling to do something he is conflicted about. He seems to come to a decision. “Nikolaos! I need to run better so I can run away with you! I do not want to make you stop for me.” He stops for just a split second. His arms are held straight at his side. A single finger on his hand curls, then extends again. “...Command?”

nil. fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 16, 2024

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Agios Nikolaos "the Wonderworker", the Harbinger

Infinite Oregano posted:

Agios Nikolaos: Chasing a Gift-Bringer is nowadays mostly unheard-of (perhaps this is because of him), but it did not use to be this way. Tell of us a historical example of such a chase, and what became of the Gift-Bringer?

After you turn the next corner, what obstacle is right in your way?

Nikolaos isn't used to running like this. Certainly, before he became a Gift-Bringer, he had to outrun the occasional bandit or wild animal. But back then he had his trusty horse, and now he had to rely on his old joints. He'd stopped aging when the Angelic being visited him in his dreams, but already then he was in his fifties; a far cry from the youth who'd done his military tour de force to guard the eternal empire's frontiers.

As a matter of fact, the passage of time has lost all meaning for the Gift-Bringers, so it was unusual for them to ever be running, galloping or otherwise in a rush.

It's strange how the mind wanders when all you see are trees and snow, when every fiber of your body is focused on putting one foot before the other and your mental state of being is reduced to, essentially, power saving mode. Nikolaos thought back on the last time he saw a Gift-Bringer running. The image came back to him, vividly. A Gift-Bringer called Basil had given away another god's trident to a brave young fisherman who vowed to rid the Wine Coast of a sea serpent. The Sea Serpent had swallowed them both in a matter of seconds.

Nikolaos wondered whether Basil had actually died, then, or whether he was still stuck in that sea serpent's stomach.

He shuddered at the thought, and his mind went back to the present, focused on his own fate if the dreadnaughts were to bring him to Santa. Perhaps being an immortal being, unbound by time, was a curse in disguise.

Nikolaos hears Match's voice, asking for a command, and pauses briefly. A most peculiar question at this time, but Nikolaos is slowly getting used to the automaton stopping in its tracks and asking for guidance.

"For now, we need to get away," Nikolaos says in between deep breaths. "Those dreadnaught soldiers are too many for us to take now. We would be better off to shake them off our proverbial tail and consider our path forward afterwards."

From above, Provvy's bell tolls. Nikolaos looks up, but this darkness and snow conceals it, until it almost crash lands in the snow next to their feet. "What's that, friend?" Nikolaos says, trying to interpret its ringing sounds.

He turns to his companions. "Most unfortunate. It appears there is a river bend further ahead, and we are caught in one of its meanders. We must either press ahead and cross it, or turn back and face the music. But perhaps this misfortune can be turned to our advantage. Provvy tells me the river is mostly frozen, though parts of the stream are so violent that the ice is breaking off. If we can cross the river at a suitably solid point, perhaps our adversaries will have to break off their pursuit on account of their weight."

Turning back to Provvy, he puts a finger to his lips, as if to shush the flying bell. "Thank you for sounding the warning, Provvy. But now is a time for subterfuge."

Provvy's ringing ceases, and the fellowship is left with naught but the sound of the wind and, barely audible, off in the distance, mechanical thumping of a regiment on the march.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Match holds still as he considers Nikolaos’ guidance, snowflakes gathering on his bare wooden face. Nikolaos’ advice itself is not the only thing on the automata’s mind, but also why it felt so natural for Match to ask the kind man for guidance - no, for a command. Why it is that Match now feels far more able to follow that command, where before he felt slightly uncertain.

I have learned that there are many things I can learn about in the world around me, but also about myself. Sometimes the things I learn and know about myself are more difficult than those outside of myself. But I have seen that other people that are not wooden people are sometimes the same way. Maybe it is not a defect. Maybe it is another way I have been made to be similar to people made of flesh and bone. I asked Nikolaos for a command because I have observed that I am able to do things better that he tells me to do. I know I was built to have a master. I think I was not built to be able to disobey my master. I can disobey. But it does not… feel… good… to disobey.

Is it because that is how I am built? Is it because Nikolaos is a wise, kind man and I do not know a lot of things, so if I disobey him, it means I am doing something unwise or unkind? I do not know. I know I feel… I do not know how to feel about this. Maybe I am angry. Maybe I am sad. But I am not angry or sad with Nikolas, but with myself. I should think about this more. I should talk with Nikolaos, and perhaps Bellia. It is important for Bellia to be independent. I should maybe also talk with Provvy. Nikolaos also sometimes tells Provvy what to do. I should ask Provvy about that.

Match gently turns his head, lifts the back of his left hand up, and inspects the small white spot of snow on it. He hears the heavy footfalls, the grinding metal noise of the approaching dreadnought soldiers.

And now I should run better. Nikolaos did not tell me how to run better. Maybe he thinks I must know how to do it because I look like him, and he knows how to run? But I have seen small people, babies. They were not very good at walking, and probably running. Nikolaos must know that some people have to learn how to run first. Maybe Nikolaos… trusts… me? Maybe he thinks I can do it on my own? Maybe there is not enough time to explain again. Explaining running would take a lot of time, I think.

Yes. I think I can do this on my own. Nikolaos also said that ‘we’ need to get away. Bellia is behind me. Bellia is very strong, but I have observed that she often tries to stay and break things and not run away. If I run away, Bellia could be left alone, and there would be even more dreadnought soldiers that are too many for Bellia!

Maybe that is what Nikolaos meant. I must help Bellia run away with the others. I think this is an important thing to do.

Match turns around, his arms straight at his side, and searches for Bellia through the trees and snowfall. When he sees her, he breaks into a sprint - still filled with awkward movements, but far more purposeful and less clumsy as before. The automaton juggles thoughts of his companion’s movements in his mind to create his own, imperfect, idiosyncratic and temporary version of a full sprint. He comes to a sudden, full stop next to Bellia Breakstar.

“Hello, Bellia. I am here to help you run away. Nikolaos said something about shaking things off his tail. It is a proverb. Will you come with me? We cannot all run away if one person does not run away. You could get hurt.” Match offers a wooden hand to his Kimera companion. Not so far away now, something dark and heavy is moving towards the two. Match gets ready to run towards where Nikolaos and the others are, his hand still held out for Bellia. He feels and odd feeling of certainty that if only Bellia will let him help her, they will make it safely through the trees, and the snow, and away from Santa’s soldiers.

quote:

nil (Match) Request: [3d6k2+1] Roll: [6, 5, 1] Result: 12 Reason: Get Away (Hope from following Nikolaos' command)
  • You get there quickly, avoiding any harm along the way.
  • You grab someone nearby and bring them along with you (Bellia).

nil. fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 18, 2024

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Good, I'm still behind everyone, Bellia thinks as the Fellowship continues their charge through the woods. She'd love nothing more than to take one of those dreadnoughts apart, to smash open their clanking shell and show whatever is inside the power of Kimera engineering, but even a Breakstar knows the difference between a valiant sacrifice and a pointless waste of life. Still, her musing distracts her just enough to be surprised by Match coming back for her. "What?! Why... Sure, let's go!" she shouts, grabbing Match's hand without stopping her run. Given the Construct's sudden burst of speed, it's likely she'll need the effort to keep pace with him as they flee.

With Match's assistance, Bellia makes enough ground to hear Nikolaos' warning about the frozen river. "So what's the problem? We cross, then I smash the ice," she says as she and Match race ahead.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

"We could cross," Nikolaos tells Bellia, "but take care. The river is rapid, the water is freezing and the frozen surface may be treacherous."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Scenic Music

The sounds of the dreadnought soldiers in pursuit echo forth through this forest, their heavy yet implacable motions resound with the crashes of the toppled trees as they smash through any obstacles in their path. Disturbed snow has begun to rain down with fragments of leaves and branches from behind you. The frequency of the heavy footfalls and the crashes and the debris have begun to grow faster and faster as they seem to be gathering momentum.

Match and Bellia

In a blur of motion, you are gone. Snow is sent tumbling haphazardly behind, leaving an obvious trail - straight towards the river. You arrive at its bank, the frozen surface glittering in the dawn, its light providing little comfort right now. The way ahead is treacherous, a quick glance downriver to your left sees more and more fissures and breaks in the ice until in the distance you think you can spot liquid water, with occasional free chunks of ice making their way. A quick glance upriver to your right finds the ice to grow thicker and more jagged, and less easy to traverse, although perhaps less liable to break and plunge you into the icy cold beneath. More forest lies further ahead beyond the river (as far as you can see) but you think you can make out some smoke rising up between the trees some distance away, backlit by the dawn's creepy radiance. Additionally you spot what looks to be a track, bedecked in snow and ice at this point - leading off in another direction (but not directly away from the steel dreadnaughts to say the least), the fence that follows along it not having any immediately clear purpose.

quote:

The Treacherous River: A beautiful, deceptively field of white. The ice and snow look passable, but one wrong step or sudden blow and you'll fall beneath the surface. Freezing icy water and death await below.
Cracks: When anyone makes a move while on the thin ice, add a crack to this stat. Everyone can hear it. When this stat has three cracks on it, damage this stat. When this stat becomes damaged, someone falls through the ice. They become lost, disorientated, and freezing.
Freezing Water: The area under the ice is deathly cold, and finding your way back up is difficult at best. Anyone under the ice takes damage constantly. If they are not rescued by the end of the scene, they die.

Match

You feel the heft and weight of the First Gift shift in the satchel that you were given containing it. An unusual feeling, holding a gift. Gifts are or were never meant for you, so holding something so prized yet never for you is most unusual. How does that make you feel? Also, what do you imagine it is? Can you imagine what it is?

ELF

Your stature is definitely not an asset in this particular chase, the sounds and debris cast off by the perilous motions of the dreadnought soldiers behind you grow more furious over time, but worse you can feel it - they are starting to catch up with you. Their growing momentum is becoming harder and harder to ignore, and even now you think you see the occasional glint of their steely frames in what light there is in this neck of the woods. The deep snow and thick forest seeks to frustrate your escape, but it would seem your pursuers through sheer deliberate force (and not a small amount of mass) drive back such impedances with ease. A pang of dread begins to rise within you as you are rapidly overtaken by the wooden form of your comrade, Match (and Bellia being carried with him) - now it is you who is at the rear of the group, the first of whom the dreadnought soldiers will reach.

Haar

The steely dreadnought soldiers remain in pursuit, although you are not in their first line of assault - but the sheer racket caused by their advance tells you that they are unlikely to stop at whoever lies at the back of your number - which is no longer Match, their mechanical frame showing a momentum of alacrity as they speed away from the rest of the group with Bellia in tow. The denser and denser trees and deep snow seek to frustrate your movements more and more, snagging at your frame and your raiments, while your pursuers yet still pick up speed, although the substance of your body is not proving advantageous to your presently, the dreadnoughts are not suffering similarly as the loud crashes and displaced snow indicate that powering through is a sheer option. You scarcely get a time to contemplate this further before you feel the ground shift beneath you. Whether or not this is an intentional trap or snare concealed by your enemies, or the misfortune of snow concealing a drop or hole, perhaps a long disused animal's burrow - is uncertain. What is certain is that have little time to react before you face falling down, perhaps even getting trapped - not a palatable event at a time like this.

Nikolaos

Your ward springs off beyond the group (electing to escort Bellia), headed towards the river that Provvy so helpfully indicated - a boon to them no doubt (albeit one with risk), but the ceaseless advance of your erstwhile hunters continues nonetheless. They have not reached you or the group quite yet, but at this rate it is only a matter of time, although Match and Bellia have, you might all might not reach the river first.

Of course, you knew they were on to you before it became apparent - they are minions of him after all - the suits that they are clad in are gifts. What preparation or contingency did you manage to take care of before they were on to you?

Everyone

What do you do?

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 18, 2024

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Match makes good progress with Bellia in tow, the small steps he is making, emulating the three members of ELF, being made up by the sheer speed and endurance unbothered by the biting cold he can bring to bear. Bellia is slightly ahead of the wooden automaton when he spots a fallen tree trunk in the way, buried under the snow.

While still running, he lifts Bellia up and over the tree trunk, eliciting a yell of complaint from the Kimera. Match is about to apologize when that which until now has kept him from being able to use all his strength and speed like this catches up to him - the mismatch between what his wooden body is capable of and his coordination. Match trips, falls forward and over the tree trunk, and slides several meters across the ground like a wooden sled, his face in the snow.

He comes to a halt at Nikolaos’ feet. After a moment, the wooden automaton gets up on his feet and briefly makes sure that the First Gift that had been entrusted to him remains safely in the satchel over his back. When he finds it there, undamaged, the voice he quickly addresses Nikolaos with is one of relief. “I am helping Bellia run away. The thing you gave me is safe. I am running very well, I think.”

The others called it ‘The First Gift’. I am not sure what it does. I think the others do not know what it does too. But it is important. I wonder who the First Gift is for? Maybe it is for someone special. I do not think Santa would give a gift to me. I was… supposed to be a gift. I don’t think you give a gift to a gift.

I ran away from Him. I think He would say that is a bad thing. But I… don’t think so. Or maybe He would not notice? He has many gifts. There were many other wooden people in the workshop where I first woke up. There must have been enough so they could throw me away instead of repairing my defect. But maybe he does not have a lot of gifts like this. It is the First Gift. There can only be one First Gift. Would he be more angry about me having this gift than me running away?

I did not run away to make Him angry. I think… I did not think about that. Now I am doing something that maybe makes him more angry. I feel… a little scared. I feel a little happy. He does things that are bad, to the tired men and women that built me and my wooden kin. He does bad things to other people too. Nikolaos and the others have told me about it. It is why they are here. So maybe it is good if I do things that make Him angry.

But I am still a bit scared. And a bit sad. I do not like to make people angry without understanding why I am doing it.

I wonder what it is. It must be a very special gift. I have heard a story of a princess being given a wish as a gift. A wish seems a lot bigger than something you can put in a box. But it is a special gift. Is the First Gift… someone’s wish?

Match inclines his head, having listened to Bellias’ and Nikolaos’ brief shouted conversation while he contemplated the thing inside the satchel upon his back. He nods at Nikolas. “I will help Bellia run away to the river. We will watch…” He inclines his head, unsure if he understood correctly. “...the surface for treachery.”

Bellia and her wooden guide make their way to the river covered in ice. Match stands at the river’s edge, looking up and down the river, trying to understand the nature of the waters’ frozen surface, the river’s free-flowing water further downstream. After a few moments, he points towards one of the fissures in the ice, sounding somewhat proud of having spotted it as he addresses Bellia. “The ice is not very strong. It might break. I do not know if we have enough time to repair the ice.” He turns and fully faces Bellia. “Have you ‘crossed’ a river made of ice and also water before, Bellia? Can you tell me how to do it right? I think it would be bad if one of us would fall into the water.” There is a brief pause. Match turns back towards the forest on their side of the river, listening to the sounds of their companions and somewhere, further beyond, those of the dreadnought soldiers.

“Everyone is not here yet. Everyone needs to run away together. I think… Maybe I can help someone else and bring them here.” He looks back at Bellia, wondering whether he is asking her because he wants to get approval, or because he is not certain whether he is doing the right thing - or if he simply does not understand something, and there is something much better that can be done.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

No one else is here yet? Urgh, one thing at a time! Bellia resolves to stop woolgathering as she and Match rapidly approach the river, taking in as much of the situation as she can while contemplating the best course of action to the perilous frozen expanse before them. "We won't have time, I have before, and we don't have time to cross it correctly either. We'll just have to do it quickly," she answers Match's questions, before he suggests going back to help the others reach the river. "You do that. If I remember correctly, the ELF members were just ahead of me before you came back. Go help them while I look for a means for us to cross the river..."

EDIT: Spending a use of Cunning As Can Be to ask Is something hidden or out of place? If so, what looks suspicious? from the Look Closely list without rolling! I rolled a 6, so I'll also ask Tell me about the river. How could it hurt me? How could it help me?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 20, 2024

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Haar watches with curiosity as Match and Bellia speed ahead, snow kicking up behind them. Would that she could meet such speeds again...

There's no time for lamentations, as in an instant her clawed foot feels the decided absence of snowy ground, swiping an empty arc against the cool air of a hole.

She barely has time to curse aloud, realising she has stumbled upon some sort of pit. How could she be so careless?! She knew how dangerous forests could be in snowfall...or, at least, she did, so long ago...

'Now is NOT the time!' Her thoughts chastise themselves, the eerie echo in her skull telling her to focus on what's important - survival.

Lashing out, her raiments flurrying, Haar desperately pulls out her claws. Bone-white claws scramble to find purchase on the ground ahead of her, her head meeting the snow at eyelevel as she plunges downwards...

quote:

Haar, Itinerant
Request: [2d6 - 1] Roll: [5, 2] Result: 6 Reason: Get Away (or not...)

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Match listens to Bellia, his face unmoving. “I understand. I will help the others come here. We can help keep everyone safe.” He turns on the spot, away from Bellia and back towards where the two had come from. He traces the trail of disturbed snow the automaton has left in his wake, turns his whole body slightly to align with it, then runs off, following his own trail backward as if he was a cart on a narrow road.

White-covered trees pass, and very soon, Match once again sees Nikolaos, feeling a surge of happiness despite his unclear feelings on the matter of his compulsion to seek out someone to give him commands.

Nikolaos did not do anything bad. I listened to him. I think I made what he told me into commands. We talked about what I should call him, and what he should call me. I wanted to say ‘master’. But when I noticed that I wanted to say that, I did not want to say it anymore. I have learned that there are other meanings of ‘master’. If someone knows a lot about a thing and teaches it to someone else, they are called master and apprentice. I want to think about this more. Nikolaos also talked about Father and Son. I told him that I am made of wood and he is made of flesh and bone, and that I cannot be his son. He told me that Father and Son also has different meanings, in… ‘religion’. I do not understand this yet.

I am not sure why I am thinking about this now. Maybe it is because His people want to do bad things to us, and to Nikolaos too. I have observed that Nikolaos has the same limbs and body like me, but that sometimes he feels small pain when moving his limbs, even if he moves them in the way people of flesh can move without pain. I think this may be because Nikolaos is old. Old people know how to move right, but their body is damaged.

I want to help Nikolaos.But… I should help other people first, if they need more help. We need to run away together, so everyone is safe.

He takes a step forward towards the Giftbringer, and raises his hand in greeting like he has seen. “Hello, Nikolaos. I have helped Bellia. She is at the river. The river is made of water and ice, but the ice is not very strong. Is that why it is treacherous? Bellia said we need to cross the river quickly.” Match rotates his upper body slightly, arms and all, looking for his remaining other companions. “I want to help so we can cross and be safe together. Bellia said that maybe I should help ELF. What do you think I should…” He inclines his head and his speech halts, as if struggling to overcome some inner inhibition. “Command?”

nil. fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 20, 2024

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Bellia

You get a good look at your surroundings as you try to take stock of the situation. Moving right to the edge of the riverbank, treading heavily upon the snow and looking directly across - barely visible beneath the snow and ice, especially with the dawn's light hitting it makes it particularly difficult to spot, but you think you can see a small island approximately half-way across, barely visible and jutting out of the ice. Something that could be useful as a stopping point if worse comes to worst in marshalling across the river - or even an anchoring point for any attempts to jury-rig some kind of artificial solution.

Moving back a little and taking a deep breath of the cold air, you regard the river warily, trying to determine what dangers lie ahead. Unfortunately one makes itself clearly known to you, as with the sound of cracking ice and shifting snow a vaguely humanoid figure about ten or so feet tall rises out of the ice itself and heavily steps on to land - its body language is difficult to decipher, and it roars in a voice like a crashing glacier, but as it raises its icy fists its intent is obvious: It wants you gone, this is its territory.

quote:

Ice Elemental: A creature made entirely of ice and snow. How or what it eats is a mystery, but it punches like a sledgehammer.
Built Like An Igloo: The ice elemental cannot be damaged by mundane weapons. The first time it would be damaged or destroyed, damage this stat instead.
Sledgehammer Fist: When the ice elemental deals damage, it also sends them flying away from itself

Haar

Your frenzied attempts to extricate yourself are unfortunately met with a sudden descent. The surrounding snow collapses entirely and drops you heavily into the bottom of a pit of worked stone previously hidden beneath the snowline. You land heavily, the snow that was deposited into the pit along with you not nearly enough to cushion your fall. As you begin to pick yourself up, you realise that the pit is ten feet or so deep - the floor and walls smooth (asides from the previously mentioned snow that escorted you down here). Obviously a trap, although what is not obvious is who laid it.

Take damage.

quote:

Pit Trap
: The ground is suddenly not ground, and that sucks.
This threat is Secret.
Hidden Trap: When a player has to pay a price, the Overlord can instead damage this stat to put them into the pit. The trap is no longer Secret.

Long Way Down: Falling in or being knocked into the pit deals 1 damage to anyone who can't slow their fall somehow.

Match

You return swiftly to the rest of the chase, the building momentum of the dreadnought soldiers grows greater still, and by now you notice that ELF has fallen to the back of the group and are perilously close to them. Nikolaos is here too but in much less peril... Haar however...

Nikolas, Match, and ELF

In addition to everything else, you all hear the sound of shifting snow and watch as Haar drops out of sight downwards! All the while, those dreadnoughts are getting closer and closer. It is only a matter of time before they reach you now, and a great pit has opened up and swallowed Haar!

Everyone

What do you do?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Haar lands with a heavy, sickening thud that echoes within the confined pit. Dazed, she can see the pinprick of light above, hear the faint sound of the clanking dreadnoughts, smell the dug earth around her.

She rises, unsteadily, inspecting her outstretched claw. Her arm juts at an uncomfortable angle, the bone and sinew within now on display- pallid and unnatural, colourless like an untouched easel. The sanguine had left her body long ago.

Haar tuts, a guttural sound, equal parts inconvenienced by her broken arm, and annoyed that she, Our Lady Gloam, could be caught by such a base trap...like some sort of helpless animal.

She withdraws her wounded limb back into the confines of her ethereal raiment, feeling the ink black tendrils of the void inside work its machinations. There is a crack, and a snap, and Haar jerks violently, before pulling out the claw again, as fresh as the day she died. Which is to say, not very fresh, but capable of clawing.

How she longs to claw...but not a chance of retribution whilst she is trapped in this pit.

"Tiny ones? Are you there? Have our malignant pursuers butchered you yet?" Haar calls out, her voice a creak, though she knows it's hopeless - if ELF had any survival instinct, they'd have kept running for their lives.

First, she needs a way out of this pit. Then - she will rend these soldiers limb from limb.

quote:

Haar, Itinerant
Request: [2d6 + 0] Roll: [5, 5] Result: 10 Reason: Look Closely
    •What is going on here? What do my senses tell me?
    • Is something hidden or out of place? If so, what looks suspicious?
    •What will happen if I try to climb out?

Armour has been used!

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 21, 2024

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

"Thank you, Match. That is precisely why the river is treacherous," Nikolaos assures Match. Then, he considers his apprentice's request for a command.

Nikolaos looks from Match to ELF, and back to the spot where Haar tumbled out of sight, weighing the best approach. After a few tense seconds, considering that Match's strength may be better suited for helping Haar out of the pit and Nikolaos himself might have to think quickly to get the dreadnoughts out of ELF's hair, he turns to Match and says:

"Please help Haar, and make sure she reaches Bellia safely!"

Then, trotting back towards ELF, Nikolaos runs his hands across his bags and satchels in search of a useful bauble, trinket or other lesser Gift which could help him. He fishes a few fluorescent slingshot rocket copters - an outdoor toy very popular toy amongst children in Ellenike and Iber! Never quite caught on in cold climates, though.

Dreadnoughts are specifically programmed to detect flying threats, specifically those which could fly over the North Pole's outer defences, Nikolaos recalls. If I imbue these with a little bit of magic, their ascent and arc may delay or confuse them enough to give ELF some breathing room.

"Keep faith, just a few more pushes and we are safe!" he yells when he is close enough to see their red-flushed cheeks, but even now the wind may be strong enough to drown out his words.

Then, he clenches his fist around the slingshot rocket copters and brings it to his lips, giving it a kiss of good luck. He draws upon his magic as a Gift-Bringers, whispering a message into each rocket copter:

WARNING; MISSILE APPROACHING rings out of a dozen of toys, a blaring siren on repeat, a cacophony that deafens the ears as their fluorescent strobe effect colours the snow all around them. Nikolaos points his scepter towards the sky, aiming for the Pollaris Star specifically, and lets loose his volley.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 21, 2024

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Infinite Oregano posted:

Bellia

You get a good look at your surroundings as you try to take stock of the situation. Moving right to the edge of the riverbank, treading heavily upon the snow and looking directly across - barely visible beneath the snow and ice, especially with the dawn's light hitting it makes it particularly difficult to spot, but you think you can see a small island approximately half-way across, barely visible and jutting out of the ice. Something that could be useful as a stopping point if worse comes to worst in marshalling across the river - or even an anchoring point for any attempts to jury-rig some kind of artificial solution.

Moving back a little and taking a deep breath of the cold air, you regard the river warily, trying to determine what dangers lie ahead. Unfortunately one makes itself clearly known to you, as with the sound of cracking ice and shifting snow a vaguely humanoid figure about ten or so feet tall rises out of the ice itself and heavily steps on to land - its body language is difficult to decipher, and it roars in a voice like a crashing glacier, but as it raises its icy fists its intent is obvious: It wants you gone, this is its territory.

Everyone

What do you do?

The sight of the island in the river is a welcome relief. Bellia is reasonably sure she could throw everyone fully across, but it would be a gamble and risk injury at the force of the throw. Halfway is a guarantee, and a softer throw means a gentler landing. But she barely has time to start searching for materials to build her platform when the ice bursts up in front of her and the elemental emerges. Bellia's blood heats at the roar of challenge despite the frigid surroundings, but as much as she'd love a fight she's well aware they don't have time for her to indulge herself.

Bellia does realize that the ice elemental's appearance creates a new opportunity though, and she steps forward confidently as she draws her rock club. "You want us gone, we wish to be gone. It would seem our goals align," Bellia says, next pulling a sharpened metal rod spear from her back. "Help us cross this river, and we'll swiftly be away from your territory." Letting out a deep breath, she grows new arms and draws a broken window glass axe, the other wielding a rusted chain whip. "Or we can test each other now, and see which of us lives beyond this sunrise. The choice is yours," she says, allowing herself to smile as she stares the elemental down.

quote:

Spending a use of Scary As Hell to Talk Sense despite the Ice Elemental not being willing to listen and roll +Blood for a 13. The request is "Help the Fellowship cross the river safely."

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Nikolaos thanked me for what I did. I did my task correctly. This is good. It makes me… feel happy. Would I feel as happy if I did a task from someone else correctly? I am not sure. I am not sure how to feel about that.

Nikolaos, ELF and Haar are not at the river with Bellia yet. We have to cross, run away and be safe together. That is the most important thing right now. I think I can help Haar the best. Haar fell down a hole that was hiding before. I can fall down holes and climb back out holes without being damaged. I think it would not be as easy for Nikolaos.

Nikolaos has told me to help Haar. This is good! He makes good decisions and gives me good… orders. Maybe it is not so bad that I feel happy when I do his tasks correctly.

Once Nikolaos has given his command, Match waits for a few more moments, to make sure he has actually stopped talking. “Yes, Nikolaos.” He announces, then once again turns on the spot and quickly moves over to the trapping pit Haar has fallen into. Once he has arrived, Match stands at the edge and bends forward at the waist, peering down into the pit and at Haar.

“Hello, Haar. I am here to help you.” The wooden automaton stands up straight, takes a small step forward - and gently floats down as if he was a feather falling down, touching the ground next to Haar still as straight as a mannequin on display. “Are you injured? I am here to help you run away. I will take you to Bellia at the river so we can all cross together. Nikolaos is helping Tinsel, Gingersnap and Holly.” A moment passes. Match inclines his head. “I heard you ask them if they have been ‘butchered yet’. I think you were making a joke. I also want to help them and keep them safe. But I will help you and Nikolaos will help ELF. “

I have observed that sometimes Haar is... angry. I have observed that sometimes Haar wants to hurt bad people more than help good people. But I am not sure I understand Haar or good people or bad people enough to be certain. Some time ago, I asked Haar questions. Haar became angry... or sad with me. Nikolaos said that I should give Haar some time and 'more space'.

I am happy that Haar wants to keep ELF safe.

Another moment passes, and Match quietly looks at Haar before he speaks again. “I think it is good you want ELF to be safe too.”

quote:

Trying to Forge A Bond (over both being concerned for ELF’s wellbeing).

nil. fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 12, 2024

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Haar peers around the pit, searching for a solution to her predicament. She is snapped from her focus when she hears Match's distinctive voice.

"I don't need your help, don't-" She begins quietly, staring daggers at the wooden automaton as he softly floats to join her. She stands tall - beady, glowing eyes boring down at Match. Her skull, dead as it is, does not convey emotion well, but her silent, intense staring indicates an annoyance that might ignite into white hot fury at any moment.

"If you were to help, young one," Haar croaks, "do you not think you would have been more useful from the TOP of this pit?!"

She spins on her heels, huge claws emerging from her cloak, gingerly scraping at the loamy walls of the pit, scoffing as Match asks about her wellbeing.
"I don't get injured, automaton. I'm dead- and if you ask me anything further about that, you will be too."

She continues her examination of the pit- back turned to Match. Though she can't see his expression, she imagines it might be a similar confusion and hurt to previous conversations the two had had. Match was inquisitive, with a voracious appetite to understand the world, and bombarded her with questions. She tried to respond in polite measure, but her patience snapped when Match asked questions about herself - her state of being, her past...her home. She remembered the look on the automaton's face - the childlike confusion of not understanding the hurt he had caused. Deep down, she knew it was not his fault- he was young, future filled with potential - while she was old, with nothing left.

"Nor do I joke." She continues haughtily, head bobbing high and low, trying to find a way out of the pit. "These pursuers are from His army. Should the tiny ones not make haste, I doubt the dreadnaughts will stop at capturing them."

She finishes her pacing in silence, until Match pipes up again. Haar's eyes blink within her skulls- glowing rings opening and closing- somewhat taken aback. Of course she wanted ELF to be safe - losing allies would do no good. She could not face Him alone- that much was clear.
"Yes, well," she starts, craning her neck up, staring at the circle of daylight above them, "unless we find a way out quickly, we won't have to worry about their safety for much longer. Do you have any ideas?"

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Match looks up at Haar as she glares at him, his face unmoving as she lashes out at him with her tongue. He gives no indication of being hurt or insulted, merely once again inclining his head quizzically. He does not respond right away, instead watching Haar turn from him and study the bare walls of their pit, cast into shadow. When Haar turns back to face him and confirms that she shares his concerns for ELF and, at the very least, will tolerate his help - although she is saying so very indirectly - Match can tell that something in her voice is different, and he stands up straight and smiles ever so slightly.

quote:

Forging a Bond with Haar: Haar accepted my help.

Haar is angry. I think Haar is angry at me, but I am not certain. Haar is angry often. Nikolaos told me that I asked too many questions and might have hurt Haar. I was sad when I learned this. I do not fully understand it yet, and it is difficult to understand better if I cannot ask questions. But I do not want to hurt Haar, so I should not ask too many questions. Match has asked me questions and told me things she thinks about me. I can answer her questions, and explain the things she thinks about me. This is different from asking Haar questions. I have noticed that sometimes people are not angry at each other anymore if they understand the other person better.

I also have good news for Haar. I can tell her how I am able to help her, and then we can run away and be safe. I can tell her what I can do because I am a person made of wood. Not everyone can do what I can do.

“I want to help you get out of this pit and to the river and Bellia. I needed to be in the pit to help you. Do not worry. I have climbed out of a much bigger pit.” Match mentally checks off one point Haar remarked upon, and moves to the next. “I am sorry. I have observed that people prefer to be asked if they are ‘injured’ or ‘hurt’ and not ‘damaged’. I think the word ‘damaged’ is for people made of wood like me. Can you tell me what word I should use for you?” Match is silent for a moment, making sure he has said all he could think of before moving on - and that he did not anger Haar by asking a question after all. “I am sorry. I have noticed that if people mean something that is different from what they say, it may be a joke, but there are many other possible reasons.” The wooden automaton briefly… frowns. “Jokes are also difficult.”

He brightens up as he arrives at the last thing Haar said. “Yes. I have an idea. That is why I jumped into the pit. I am able to walk up walls. It is because of how I was built. It will allow me to help you.” Match pauses, then realizes that it would be a good idea to demonstrate. He turns and first puts his two wooden, jointed hands upon the bare stone of the wall, then his bare feet - and then simply sticks there, like a spider. “Please hold onto my back once you are ready.”

nil. fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 23, 2024

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Haar stares at Match, eyes focused on the tiny smile etched on his face. She loathes asking for help, as much as she has loathed this conversation. The sting is worse when it's Match- the automaton has been nothing but collaborative during their time together, no matter how she might try to cut him with cruel words. Somehow, that makes her even more frustrated - the difference between the two's approach highlights how far from warmth, comfort, and companionship she had come.

Haar clicks her tongue in disapproval at the whole situation. She, a spectre of wandering night, eviscerator of the villainous, an undying bulwark, should be protecting the others - needing rescue like this...it's shameful.

Still- she is part of something greater now. It will not do to have ELF perish so early in their quest- not when their fledgling fires of revolution hold so much potential. She would have to accept outside assistance- this one time- and pay it back double.

quote:

Forging a Bond with Match: Match offered to help me, even when I was rude to him.

Haar growls, letting out the last of her frustration on the situation, planning to leave it behind in the entrapping pit.
"Fine." She barks, towering over the automaton. "You do not need to ask me how I am, so you don't need a word for it."

She pauses for a moment, suddenly aware of the size difference between the two. Hearing the way Match apologises, even thought it is she that is at fault, stops her aggression in its tracks. Awkwardly, Haar adjusts her raiments, shrugging her shoulders so that the cloth spreads out in an A-line. "When...when we are out of here, and all of you are safe...perhaps I will tell you a joke my people used to enjoy."

Haar shifts her body-weight, standing tall, proud, not letting the two simmer on what she had just said. Match clings to the wall, in defiance of gravity, as if it was the easiest thing in the world, and Haar's eyes flash with an exposed moment of surprise. Carefully, she extracts her claws from her cloak, long arms wrapping around the automaton's wooden body. She closes her eyes - she has not been this close to another in years- not unless she was hurting them, at least. It feels uncomfortable- wrong - as if the laws of the universe forbade her from doing it. She grips tightly in preparation for the ascent, and she can feel the unknowing, wintry edge of her raiment lap against Match's back - leaving a trail of gentle snowfall where it touches.

She unconsciously sniffs sharply, acutely aware of how close she is to Match. The automaton has the horrible scent of His workshops...amalgamated with the deep, earthy smell of quality wood...in an instant, fleeting images of Apricity flash through her mind. Sunbeams poking through welcoming forests. Ribbons twirled around the maypole. The deep throat-hums of braying laughter. As soon as they appear, they are gone, and Haar is conscious of how tightly her arms grip around Match.

"Go." She orders shakily, voice catching in her throat. She'd process this later- soon would be the time for fighting.

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 23, 2024

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ELF - the Shattered

Finally it becomes clear why ELF is taking so long to arrive. It is not them at all that rejoins the fellowship, but their pet salamander, Sparky. Large enough that a strong man would need two hands to pick then up, and covered in mucus hot enough that such a man would end up horribly scalded, the amphibian fire elemental leaves behind pawprints of melted snow. It blinks slowly at the fellowship before retrieving a small missive from the leather pouch on its back (with a little help from its long, prehensile tail) and offers it to the nearest member.

There, in scrawled and hurried handwriting, is written: “scattered in the forest; d.n. following; will rejoin asap; take care”

quote:

got a 9 pn keeping them busy; theyre focused on me right now but will retaliatewhen the time is up

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Haar

You begin to take in your surroundings in this dark pit that you have found yourself in.

The worked sides of this pit are smooth, and smell of the cold and damp, asides from the snow shifting slightly around you and around the edges of the pit no further sounds seem to issue forth from it. It's sturdily made, but has not been checked up or altered since it was dug, more than likely just before the first snow - the thin sheet that is now nestled at the bottom of the pit beneath you likely the only cover it had in order to stop it getting filled in, and even that is showing some telltale signs of deterioration.

However, further signs of nature's forces at work show themselves as you further scrutinise the pit. Although it was initially hard to make out given the snow and now fallen blanket (coloured for wintry camouflage), it looks like a burrowing animal of some kind has been here - you notice a more than likely unstable and quite small tunnel dug into one of the corners of the pit. It would be a tight squeeze and if given too rough a treatment it might collapse around you, but it could work as another exit - one seemingly unseen by anyone else but you.

As your gaze moves upwards you get a better appreciation for the craft of the pit, its sides have been worked smooth and densely packed in such a manner that getting a grip is not a simple exercise - whoever laid this trap was expecting something or someone more intelligent. Thankfully, its stability does mean that the pit itself is unlikely to simply collapse on you if you tried too violently to escape, but it will be difficult without more than likely creating your own handholds or being assisted by another. Of course if you had the luxury of time you could likely extricate yourself with care and precision, but unfortunately you can hear the dreadnoughts even from down here getting closer, the hammering of their footfalls, the roar of the snow being driven away from them and the crash of any foliage being taught the error of its ways of daring to get in their way.

Nikolaos

The series of loud, flashing rocket copters sail off northwards, floating through the air and making a sizeable racket - the light visible from a fair distance. With that, the dreadnoughts' tact does indeed seem to shift, and you notice the mass of flying snow and crashing trees seems to divert a bit - not heading directly to your position for the moment. A reprieve, for now! Of course, people have always had a complicated relationship with Polaris - useful for navigation, but it leads you inevitably towards where he resides. What tales do the Gift-Bringers tell of Polaris?

After your gaze drifts downwards from the bright glare of your distraction you notice Match descending into the pit after Haar. Also, you're greeted by that lovable scamp, Sparky!

Bellia

There is a pause from the massive creature after you make your demand, seemingly sizing you up as its cold gaze regards you silently. It lets loose a less aggressive (perhaps more... annoyed? resentful?) bellow - like a tiny avalanche, and its body language seems to indicate that it has acquiesced but given from what it understands of your request it can tell that this is a group thing. So now it is looking to you, waiting for you to gather your party before venturing forth. Unless you want to press the issue of course, but given that you are the chief negotiator it seems prudent that you should probably go last, if only because you are the only one who convinced it to help, without your presence as a factor it would likely go back to its old habits.

In the distance, back the way you came, there is a sudden racket as brilliant and very loud devices (toys more than likely) screech into the air and start moving off in a particular direction. That's not something that you see every day.

Haar

Or at least that was the case, but now from within the pit you hear some loud noises and bright lights and can make out some kind of floating... devices that are beginning to head away - and with it, although it's hard to get a good idea from down here, it feels that there is some kind of shift in the motions of the dreadnoughts. Not to mention, Match is here now.

Match

These smooth walls down here with Haar are well-made, but unlikely to stop you from doing as you wish. Other than your less-than-merry comrade down here, there is fallen snow and what remains of a blanket or sheet of some kind that now lines the bottom of the pit. However, a brief distraction appears above you as a racket ensues and bright lights in some kind of toy-like fashion heading skywards (and towards the North Star, it would seem).

ELF

A deadly game of cat and mouse has ensued. You've spread yourselves out amidst the trees and snow, using what cover and fortune that is provided to you to slow down or harry your erstwhile pursuers, their hulking metal-clad forms swiftly dwindling what cover there is as they smash into things and drive the snow into the air (thankfully creating some concealment to better help you). Throughout this process you get perilously close to the towering figures more than enough times for any of your lifetimes, each of them are shining and silver with a heavy predominance of red (and a little green), each suit wearing a mask depicting some kind of figure related to him, one even has a face that looks... mockingly unlike the real him but close enough for you to recognise - the huge painting of him glowering down at the workshop floor is burned into your memorise after all. The festive lights that these suits are bedecked in flash off constantly in an almost mocking fashion, if not a little... mesmeric. Luckily you've managed to keep just enough distance and cover that they haven't been able to get a bead on you with the impressive arsenal that these suits are laden with, and presently they make little if any demands except wholesale destruction of the environment - but thanks to your manoeuvring and trickery it has been largely localised to a general radius around the group, rather than steadily towards the fellowship.

This altercation-to-be however is given a moment of interruption as in the distance there is a loud racket, and you all spot the scintillating lights cast off by a number of aerial objects - toys of course - but enough that the dreadnought soldiers start to pay half attention to that and to you, they are starting to prioritise it over you and if given the chance they will likely pursue it instead of you - once you get enough clearance (it seems that they have deduced that you are not the ones holding the prize that they seek), but given how in deep you are right now and the sheer force of the pressure that they are putting on you, you won't be able to get out without them getting a clear parting shot.

quote:

Group of Dreadnought Soldiers: These giftclad soldiers are the hammer, and you are the nail. Santa rarely deploys them outside his workshop, when he does, he means business - and doesn't care about collateral damage.
Unstoppable: The Dreadnoughts' attacks are always Hard Cuts and cannot be Overcome.
Overwhelming Force: When the fellowship Keeps Them Busy, the person keeping the Dreadnoughts busy decides the targets of the Dreadnoughts' Cuts.
Full Plate and Packing Steel: The first time the Dreadnoughts would be damaged or destroyed, damage this stat instead.
Group: This enemy can act against two people at once. When this enemy is destroyed, this stat is damaged, or this is their only stat left, replace the Group with two normal enemies.

Everyone

What do you do?

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Haar sounds different. She does not sound more angry. Perhaps she is not sure if I can safely walk up the wall. I should be careful so that Haar does not get… I think ‘hurt’ is still the right word for Haar, but I will not ask if she is hurt.

Match carefully moves one of his hands up the smooth wall, trying to move slowly. A few moments ago, when it was just himself sticking to the wall like a gecko, he would have easily climbed out of the pit - but now Haar is hanging on to his back, and it is not her physical weight that is making the wooden construct hesitate.

Haar accepted my help. This is good. I have observed that Haar often is not happy when I offer help. I want to help Haar and prove I am useful to her. I should do my task well. I should not… disappoint Haar.

He puts his hand back down onto the wall, not as far up as he intended. Just like before, when Match tried to run away from the Dreadnought Soldiers, his limbs refuse to properly move without him thinking about the best way to do so and somehow, his mind refuses to focus on this. He barely notices the spectacle of the flying, noisy toys above him. Normally he would have enjoyed one of Nikolaos’ tricks, but his mind races faster and faster, driven by the weight on his back.

Haar will be angry. I should be quick. I should not fall. If I fall, Haar may be hurt. If I fall, the First Gift may be damaged! The others have given me the First Gift. They have told me that it is very important. If I let the First Gift be damaged, I will disappoint the others too. I do not want to disappoint Haar. I do not want to disappoint the others. Nikolaos. I have to do my task right. I have to move quickly. I have to keep Haar safe. I have to…

Match feels as if suddenly, the strength is gone from his limbs, that he will slip and fall and drop Haar and the First Gift at any second. He slides down the short distance towards the ground, and, leaning against the wall as if exhausted, makes sure that he has at least delivered Haar safely - and then his legs give out and he drops to the floor like a marionette with its strings cut.

quote:

nil (Match) Request: [3d6k2+1] Roll: [3, 2, 1] Result: 6 Reason: Get Away (Hope from following Nikolaos' command)

He sits there against the wall, crumpled, for just a few moments that nevertheless feel like a long time, then gathers himself up, stands up again, and addresses Haar. “I am sorry. I will try again. I think I can still help. I want to help.” He looks down at his feet, where a moment ago he laid like a doll stuffed into the back of a locker. The automaton looks up again at Haar. “I am looking forward to you telling me a joke of your people. I have observed that until now the only joke I am able to make that makes people laugh is when I fall down.” There is a pause. “I was not trying to make a joke. I want to try again.”

nil. fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 25, 2024

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Match

Scenic Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJSBVpVFRU

As you sit there contemplating your failures for a brief moment, you suddenly notice a hole in the satchel you were given with the First Gift in it. As you shift around to examine it more closely it is at that point the motions you had up until this point all added together to let loose the First Gift, which tumbles to the ground - the brilliant ribbon tying the lid to the box seemingly having been torn or cut by some foliage or similar earlier - because as it bounces and rolls the lid flies off, and an overwhelmingly brilliant glow explodes out of it, and you are immediately sucked inside, a falling sensation dominating you before the world around you resolves to be somewhere else.

You wake up in your bed. It is snowing outside, but it is nice and cosy in here in your room. Despite everything, it is a beautiful morning outside, and why wouldn't it be? You're free. Every day that you are free is beautiful.

Tell us what your room looks like, and who, if anyone else would live in your house?

Haar

Having been put down by someone who is smaller than you is an odd experience. What is odder still is as Match sits down, he jerks about and suddenly the First Gift in all its gaudily wrapped glory falls out - and you feel your eyes track it as it moves, and a desire to open it start to rise upon you. This desire is cut short somewhat however as it opens itself, and Match vanishes into the brilliant glow that explodes out of it, dazzling you and filling the hole with light. However, things get worse from there as you feel a sudden pull, like a great force beginning to pull you into the open box, much like it did to Match.

What is your greatest wish, and also what do you do?

Nikolaos

Uh-oh! Now that your gaze has drifted downstairs, there's a sudden shift in the air as a brilliant white light bursts out of the pit Haar and Match have gone into, and you can feel it. The First Gift has been opened.

What is your greatest wish?

Everyone Else

Scattered around the woods as you are, you suddenly feel a shift in the air, subtle yet noticeable, and difficult to describe - like a feeling creeping across you with no real explanation.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 25, 2024

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Haar lands, dusting her raimant off with a careful bristle, watching as Match slumps to the floor. It's often difficult for her to assess the automaton's emotions, but when he stands up, apologising, she can tell that their failure to escape the pit has at least somewhat affected him.

"It's fine." Haar croaks awkwardly, wondering if she should console Match- wondering if she still knows how to console someone. "We'll think of something else. I think I saw a burrow of some ilk...perhaps we could-"

She turns her skull for a moment, looking again for the tunnel she had glimpsed, when the pit is illuminated by a lustrous glow- far stronger than the light above from the tiny devices that float above in the sky.

Haar wheels around, just in time to see Match's foot disappear into the glow. Her pupils constrict to pinpricks from the blinding light, and with great difficulty she can just about make out a small box, its constricting ribbons now liberated.

"Automaton!" Haar screeches in a tone that belies a secret compassion.

Rites Around Us! It's that damned gift! Haar curses inwardly, caught completely off-guard, transfixed by the dazzling gleam. She feels the sudden, weighty pull of the First Gift, as if a legion of arms conspired to drag her into its light.

Haar snarls, throwing her claws out of her cloak and slamming them into the wall of the pit. Her bones creak in exertion, her body lifting from the pull, but she holds on for dear unlife. Minutes feel like hours as Haar gives her everything.

'The leaves themselves sing mournful tune, the fireflies' lamps grow dim
Summer's warmth fades all too soon; one final lustred hymn.

The tulips bend from weighty dew, the willow trees droop low,
Our love, true nascence, born anew, and e'er shall be so.'

Haar hears a soothing bleat rattle around her mind. A treacly voice she hasn't heard for a long, long time. "I tried, you know! Poetry is difficult!" The voice laughs, such softness...such warmth...

The Itinerant is overwhelmed. Why now- why after centuries, alone, does this phantom come to haunt her?!

Would that Haar could spend one more night with her...that they could visit the Four Sister's Stream, or the Navigator's Rocks...would that she could be anywhere with her...

Despite herself, her grip falters. She can feel her fingers drag against the hard soil of the pit wall, as they are extricated, and Haar is flung forward, enveloped in the blinding light.

quote:

Haar, Itinerant : [2D6+1] Roll: [3, 1] Result: 5 Reason: Overcome the pull of the First Gift

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 25, 2024

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Haar

Despite your best efforts, the power of the First Gift is great, and you are dragged inside - the world around you vanishing in a burst of brilliant white light, and for the fleetest of moments you feel a falling sensation...

Scenic Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0NCpe9O1RU

...and then you wake up in your bed. You feel warm and cosy, enticing aromas linger upon the air - and you are surrounded by what was once the familiar. The snow outside is falling steadily, but you are home. You are not alone, because you know that she is here. Maybe all the pain and suffering, the cold and dark... maybe it was all just a bad dream? Maybe this is reality, after all.

Tell us what your home is like or at least what you remember

It's morning now, where would she be right now?

Also, what do you do?

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 25, 2024

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Match turns his head to look at Haar, trying to understand what his companion meant after he has heard what she said, and finding it somehow more difficult than usual. Something tells him what Haar has said was kind, but right this moment, he cannot trust his own judgement, and he tries to think about it more to be sure. “I…”

Something catches his attention, something glittering and moving on the ground next to him. Match inclines his head and looks down at the thing, for a moment wondering whether one of Nikolaos’ flying toys has fallen into Haar and Match’s pit. Then he sees the ribbon, the box, and the lid besides it. “Oh.” And then there is a blinding light.

Match wakes up in his bed. It is snowing outside, but it is nice and cozy in his room. The warmth of the fireplace in the common room has chased away the chill of the night. The room is Match’s alone, but from behind the thick wooden wall, he can hear voices of some of the other students, up early. It is a comforting sound. It is a beautiful morning outside. Match rolls over onto his side and looks out of the window, the early morning sun glittering against the frost on the glass.

It is a beautiful day, and why wouldn’t it be? I am free. Every day that I am free is beautiful.

Match slowly gets up, then yawns and stretches. It is what people do when they wake up. He puts on a pair of trousers and a shirt. He polishes the varnish on his wooden face with a piece of cloth, making sure his face is spotless in a small mirror. It is what people do when they prepare for the day. Today is a special day. All of Match’s friends will get together in the evening, share food, drink and stories - and gifts for each other. Match is looking forward to meeting his friends the most.

I hope my friends will like the gifts I made for them. I think they will. I know what they will like. I know how to be… how to make them happy. But there is a lot to do for all of us before we can meet up and be happy in the evening. I should not forget to buy ingredients so I can cook for them. I do not eat or drink, but they will enjoy my cooking.

Match goes over to his table in front of the window and checks a note for all that he has planned today. There is another group of people of wood like him that have arrived in their town, and they need guidance and a helping hand. Match remembers the confusion and uncertainty well, but he has learned and understood a lot since then. In fact, even though he is still only a student, he has been asked to teach some of the newcomers what he knows, and everybody thought that he was very helpful, both his instructors, so proud that he is carrying forth their teachings, and his pupils, who said that he truly helped them, that he showed them how to be free, how to understand, all with patience. Yesterday, there was another group that arrived that needed help - a group of tired men and women. Match helped cook for them and found them warm places to sleep and rest, and he knew they would not be as tired in the morning anymore. There are other people in the world that need help, and their town offers them an open hand. Match is happy he is able to help, happy that he is part of something good and useful.

Match looks over his table, and he thinks of the friends he is going to meet in the evening, the friends that help him help others. First, he sees a stack of books he has yet to read, sent to him by the Head Teacher. He is a kind and wise man, always willing to talk if Match has questions, though he tries not to do so when the Head Teacher walks around town, giving gifts and help to those in need. If Match needs a kind word or guidance, he knows he can ask the head teacher - but only if Match wants to. The Head Teacher has said he is proud of what Match has accomplished so far.

Next he sees a small pamphlet with the insignia of the Trio on it, the text within teaching everyone how to be self-sufficient, confident and independent and that sometimes, it is important to say ‘no’ to someone telling you to not complain. The Trio teach and help with the same thing in person, but they are very clever, and so they have written their pamphlet to reach people all over the world. They care about people as much as they care about each other.

The dull ax handle laying at the foot of the table belongs to the Craftswoman. She has given it to Match so he can sharpen it and replace its handle, because the Craftswoman is very industrious, and her tools often need replacing. She seems tireless, always being one of the first up in the morning and last in bed, always busy with a task that needs her great strength. She fells and brings home whole trees for the town, and when a building is broken, she tears it down, saving as much material as she can so it can be rebuilt. For everyone who wants to stand on their own two feet, free and independent, she is an inspiration.

Finally, Match spots the handle of a broken sword, a souvenir that the Warden has given to him. Many people think she is the most frightening person living in their town, but Match knows that that is not true. She often likes to be alone in the forests around the town for many days, keeping away any dangerous beasts or bandits by scaring them away, and breaking their weapons - as the handle in front of Match proves. Match knows that while she can be scary, she is still a good person. A week ago, a child fell down the town’s well, and together, they rescued it. Match climbed into the well and out again, the child on his back.

He did not slip. He did not fall. He rescued the child from the well.

I did. I did my task properly. I did not… disappoint anyone. And I… I helped of my own free will. Together with… the Warden.

For a moment, Match’s room feels colder, but then, the chill is gone just as suddenly. He can almost hear the fireplace in the common room, the other students gathered around it, talking about the things they did the previous day and what they want to do today. Someone laughs, and the sound is accompanied by a quiet, festive jingle. Match smiles. Soon it will be time to join them and star the day’s work, to learn, and help, and in the evening meet all his friends - but he decides to enjoy the beautiful day in his own room for a little longer.

Because I am free and I can decide what I want to do. It is a beautiful day.

nil. fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 27, 2024

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Infinite Oregano posted:

Bellia

There is a pause from the massive creature after you make your demand, seemingly sizing you up as its cold gaze regards you silently. It lets loose a less aggressive (perhaps more... annoyed? resentful?) bellow - like a tiny avalanche, and its body language seems to indicate that it has acquiesced but given from what it understands of your request it can tell that this is a group thing. So now it is looking to you, waiting for you to gather your party before venturing forth. Unless you want to press the issue of course, but given that you are the chief negotiator it seems prudent that you should probably go last, if only because you are the only one who convinced it to help, without your presence as a factor it would likely go back to its old habits.

In the distance, back the way you came, there is a sudden racket as brilliant and very loud devices (toys more than likely) screech into the air and start moving off in a particular direction. That's not something that you see every day.

Everyone

What do you do?

Everyone Else

Scattered around the woods as you are, you suddenly feel a shift in the air, subtle yet noticeable, and difficult to describe - like a feeling creeping across you with no real explanation.

"Excellent! It seems we understand each other better," Bellia says, putting away her axe and whip and folding her extra arms across her chest as she turns to examine the forest behind her. "You're correct in that others will be needing passage first, and others still will need to be warded off. I'll approach you again to cross myself when the last of us are over," she starts, trailing off at the sight and sound of the noisemakers heading away from the group's original path. Interesting. Hopefully, it's a diversion allowing the others to get here, Bellia thinks before the sudden shift in the atmosphere around her.

A world where everyone is as capable as anyone else, where oppression cannot exist because everyone is ready, willing, and able to stop it in its tracks. An endless array of rivals to test herself against.

Bellia's greatest wish comes to mind unbidden, though she quickly shakes her head to refocus on the world as it is in front of her. "One day," she mutters, watching the treeline with hawk-like eyes. Did something just happen? I should go back for the others... no, I should wait here for them. If they need assistance, it would be more obvious than noisemakers and idle thoughts...

EDIT: Looking Closely with a 7, questions are:
What's going on here? What do my senses tell me?
Is something hidden or out of place? If so, what looks suspicious?
What will happen if I leave to go help the others?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 26, 2024

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Haar, Woodspeaker

When Haar awakes, it is a sudden, violent jolt. Her chest rises and falls in a sharp rhythm. She can feel the warmth of sweat, white sheets clinging to her body. The smoky scent of white cedar fills her nostrils - a wood fire is burning.

The grogginess starts to melt away, and she softly throws back the fur covers of the bed, swinging her legs over the side of the timber frame. Her legs- toned, covered in a muted fur, ending in small, dainty claws. She examines her hands in awe- no longer the bone-white, gnarled weapons she had been so used to. Like a map, she studies each finger, twisting her hands back and forth- here, a tiny, muted scar from fixing Elthan's birdhouse; there, a callous from constant woodworking.

Haar leaps out of the bed. Her home is small, cosy, a wooden chalet filled to the brim with wooden shelving and storage that she and her companions had created. Browns from all kinds of trees fill the home; the ceiling, a dark, red-ish mahogany, the floor an airy maple. A deep maroon rug breaks up the room, soft to the touch, made with the shaggy fur of a frostbeast. Round, glass bottles containing a tiny, pale blue glow hang from the rafters, glimmering softly- the living lights that only Aprous magic can create.

With wobbling, uncertain feet, she steps over a broom, expertly navigating a place she has not been to in centuries. The mirror, framed with a wooden relief of beautiful swirls, sits exactly where it always did. She takes a deep breath, almost bracing herself, as she approaches her own reflection.

Haar gasps.

It's her face. The shaggy, umber fur. The creamy beige of her muzzle. Her long, proud antlers, wrapped in elegant ribbons. Her hair- woven expertly into a high ponytail. And- Soil Below! Her eyes...her oval pupils, a brilliant orange, glossy and reflective because...she's crying. Tears immediately flow freely, and she feels them slide between her fur tufts. How euphoric it is, to just be herself, to exist in the home crafted with her own hands.

Her fingers shakily touch her neck - warm to the touch. What was that? It felt like a nightmare, but one painted so vividly- and for an eternity.

It didn't matter. Haar is home, in Apricity, where the sun pokes through the mountains, and fawns exuberantly skate on the frozen, winding river. Where her family had always lived, where she dined nightly with friends...where she was.

Her Eira.

She'd be in the allée, the path her ancestors had laid, wandering beneath the sturdy, stone arches, interwoven with vines. Eira would be minding the community's fawns, no doubt in the middle of her robust curriculum. Haar always teased her, saying that learning should be relaxed, spontaneous. Eira would counter that the Aprous had so much knowledge across generations, it was important to teach it all.

Spirits, she needs to see Eira. Haar is desperate to see her wintry fur, the way her antlers curve back, the tiny bone earrings that dangle from her ears. The way her fringe sits over large, round spectacles. The way her eyes gleam when she speaks about the stars above. The sheepish grin reserved only for Haar.

That dream...that horrible, horrible dream. What felt like centuries of loneliness, and then the discovery of allies. The Gift-Bringer, noble and wise and filled with warmth... the small ones, plucky, tenacious, driven...the chimera, so strong, fearless and always wanting to do the right thing...The wooden automaton...so curious, so wondrous...and then, her love, calling her. It felt like Eira's voice had led Haar back to the realm of the living...the dream must have meant something...a life without her love.

Haar, Woodspeaker, flings open her wardrobe, selecting a practical dress, getting ready to start another beautiful day. Her dreams had spoken. Today, she would rush to the allée, scoop Eira in her arms, and ask the most important question of her life.

Haar grins.

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 26, 2024

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ELF - the Shattered

ELF dreams of the only thing elves dream about. Freedom. Comfort. The opportunity to stretch their creative talents without being chained to an assembly line. Perhaps a cozy little log cabin in the woods, with a little garden to plant seedlings when the weather is nice, and a roaring fire to keep warm as they fiddle with gears and turnkeys...

Wait, why are they thinking about that right now? The dreadnoughts are almost on them! It's time to rush towards a particularly rocky stretch and hope they stumble, or at least are slowed down enough by having to crunch the stones under their heels that they can escape.

https://orokos.com/roll/999712

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 4, 2024

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Infinite Oregano posted:

Nikolaos

The series of loud, flashing rocket copters sail off northwards, floating through the air and making a sizeable racket - the light visible from a fair distance. With that, the dreadnoughts' tact does indeed seem to shift, and you notice the mass of flying snow and crashing trees seems to divert a bit - not heading directly to your position for the moment. A reprieve, for now! Of course, people have always had a complicated relationship with Polaris - useful for navigation, but it leads you inevitably towards where he resides. What tales do the Gift-Bringers tell of Polaris?

After your gaze drifts downwards from the bright glare of your distraction you notice Match descending into the pit after Haar. Also, you're greeted by that lovable scamp, Sparky!

Polaris had no particular symbolism for the Gift-Bearers, beyond the usual navigational use or impact on astronomy, since they walked the world, handing out gifts in an era before Santa. Now, though, Nikolaos feels a mixture of melancholy and resolve when he sees the star.

Melancholy because it flickers so beautifully, unknowing - or worse, uncaring - of the evils that act in its glow. It almost feels like a tacit approval of the cosmos, a wretched perversion of all that is good, that a star which shines so beautifully and so bright, would grace the domain of one so wicked.

Resolve because, despite all of the above, Polaris was there before evil took hold. Polaris will be there when evil has been banished, too. Nikolaos will make sure of that.

Infinite Oregano posted:

Nikolaos

Uh-oh! Now that your gaze has drifted downstairs, there's a sudden shift in the air as a brilliant white light bursts out of the pit Haar and Match have gone into, and you can feel it. The First Gift has been opened.

"Oh, for Goodness' grace," Nikolaos mutters, just before the visions overtake him.

Nikolaos is standing on a ship, looking down on a quay where masses of people are cheering and waving. He holds a bag of coins, so filled it may as well be bottomless, so light he might very well carry it on his shoulders across the world and back. He opens the sack, takes a handful of coins, throws it into the jubilant masses, again and again. Music and merriment fills the air.

"And what would you like?" Nikolaos asks the first child that walks the gangplank from the shore to his throne. Her cheeks are round, with freckles that adorn her smiling eyes like stars, in wonder that she gets to meet Nikolaos.

"I want an orange, mister!" she yells.

Nikolaos reaches into his bag, and effortlessly finds an orange. "A good, honest wish," he tells her, "and you have been good all year. Have a few. What is your name, child?"

"Clementine!"

Nikolaos chuckles, and hands her a few clementine fruits as well. And a tangerine, now he's at it. Laughing, she turns back and walks to the shore where her parents hug her.

The next child, a lanky, timid-looking boy with glasses, approaches.

"And what would you like, boy?"

"Erm... A friend, please. Sir."

Nikolaos reaches into his bag, and a walking, talking bear jumps out. The boy laughs.

The procession marches past, one after another, until it feels like all the children in the world have had their Gifts. Eventually, an old woman stands in front of him.

"Never too old for a gift,' Nikolaos smiles. "What would you like?"

The woman dramatically taps her finger on her lips as if she is lost in thought, and gives him a coy smile. Eventually, she shrugs and laughs.

"I don't know, Nicky. I'm entirely satisfied. Can I just sit beside you for a while?"

They sit in silence, watching the festivities on the quay. A sense of relief washes over Nikolaos, as if he had been undergoing an examination for millennia and finally obtained a passing grade. Was it over? Has every single gift been doled out?

Nikolaos takes his bag and looks inside it. It's light as a feather. Empty, even. Well, almost empty. Nikolaos rummages in the bag, and finds a small, wooden figurine. It reminds him of a toy he had when he, himself, was a child.

Gods, that was such a long time ago. He wondered what had happened to it. Presumably, he misplaced it at some point. But Nikolaos can't shake the feeling he must find this toy again.

It feels... Urgent, somehow.

Nikolaos looks at the woman sitting next to him, and says: "Please accept my apologies, but I must be going. I feel there are people in need of me, somewhere."

"Best of luck to ye," she says. Her voice is calm, with a hint of sadness.

Nikolaos blinks a few times, pinches the bridge of his nose until he feels his sense return to him.

"Well," he says, "That might very well have ended badly, had I not been a Gift-Bringer myself." He considers his options. Perhaps he could close the First Gift using his magic? The raw power was enormous, but if anybody in the fellowship could do it, it would be him, he feels. Haar and Match may be trapped in their reverie, but safe. He hopes. If so, he could carry the First Gift himself until they are in a safe haven, and open it to retrieve them there.

Alternatively, he might have to fish them out of the First Gift now. Perhaps the First Gift could be used to trap or defeat the Dreadnoughts somehow? It would be a bad idea to lock Haar and Match up with the Dreadnoughts, if that is the plan.

He makes up his mind.

Well, back into the frying pan, he thinks. He hopes he can steel his resolve and break the illusion if he dives right in. Let's try to find Match, first. I think my connection with him is stronger.

And so, Nikolaos walks towards the bright, shining light.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 26, 2024

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Match

Time passes in your room, all these comforts and feelings of contentment resound, but before long there is the bell. Work will begin soon, you don't want to be late! I'm sure admiring your surroundings can wait until later, after all they'll be here when you get back.

What does your work involve? Why do you enjoy it? Who do you work with?

Bellia

You scan your vision back towards where the others were, the trees blocking your view. Using what methods you have managed to acquire over time you attune your senses better (however temporarily) to more mystical wavelengths, and then it is you notice that the power coursing out of the woods, back where you were earlier - the First Gift, something has happened to it. Tell us how you learned to attune your senses in such a way, and is it a common talent amongst your people?

Given other circumstances, the Ice Elemental seems inclined to keep its 'word', and assuming nothing else untoward happen it'll more than likely remain here for a while still, the dreadnoughts reach it, it'll most likely flee - but other than that nothing seems immediately obvious - of course leaving to help the others would put you closer to harm's way regarding the dreadnoughts, but that should be obvious by now. However, just in case you cast your senses around in hopes of checking to see if didn't spot anything last time you think you see something on the hill rising up across the river... a glint of shine in the early morning gloom and then-

The sound rings out across the increasingly chaotic morning, breaching whatever silence there was left.

Take damage.

quote:

(As yet nameless) Sharpshooter: No one can shoot more true than this sniper.
Eagle Eye: The Sharpshooter can see you coming from a mile away, and attack from great distances. The Sharpshooter’s first attack against the group is always a Hard Cut.
Trick Shot: The Sharpshooter can damage this stat to make a player fail a Finish Them attempt.
Social Anxiety: The Sharpshooter is no good at social situations and runs from people trying to talk to them.

Assuming the Ice Elemental doesn't flee (it seems stout enough not to mind unless it actually comes under fire), you don't think the sniper is going to target it. If they're after you or the others, there's no reason why they would think you are allied with the elemental (in fact the longer you stay here the higher the chance it seems their suspicions might be roused), so if you were to flee into cover before this gets worse, then the elemental would be waiting here for you when you return, but then so would the sharpshooter.

Haar

'Tis a merry occasion to be sure! And why wouldn't it be? Life is worth living, and the shadows of the night before are steadily being chased away. A most important day indeed. You want to get to the ailée with all the preparations made to make this moment magical, after all. Everything is going well today so far, there shouldn't be anything from stopping you spending the rest of your life with the one you love!

What do you do en route to the ailée? Are there any other familiar faces you see or speak to there?

ELF

You make a break for it, but the unstoppable dreadnoughts get a parting shot before you break line of sight. There's a series of cracking sounds as a hail of candy-cane-colour-painted fléchettes are volleyed at you, unfortunately enough of them are on target!

Take damage.

Despite this, you manage to get out of there, although you weren't particularly stealthy, and they clearly could tell which way you went. However, for the moment, it seems that they are distracted by those flying toys. You manage to steadily make your way back to where you lost the others, and stepping through the snow and trees you get closer and closer to a brilliant white glow, an odd breeze, and an oddly comforting smell. Then you find the source, a pit has opened up, this was just ahead of where you were earlier you swear - but the only person here is Sparky, asides from fresh footsteps in the snow - a few sets even leading to the pit - but more alarmingly the pit is the source of the glow, shining skywards very obviously. This reeks of the magic of his workshop, all too familiar.... the First Gift. Sparky looks simultaneously worried and a little enticed by the glowing pit.

Then your concentration is broken as a loud bang echoes across the hills. Somewhere else, someone is in trouble, and you've got even more company.

Nikolaos

Girding yourself, you hop down into the embrace of the First Gift, and let it take you....

...that very place that you were thinking of - on your throne aboard that ship, docked in port, the old woman nearby. It feels kind of nice. Wouldn't you rather just stay here and enjoy this, after all?

You know better but still, even you feel it starting to pull at you, although given that you are better informed and moreover a Gift-Bringer, its effect is likely not as enticing nor potentially destructive as it might one those with greater desires. It's probably better to find your fellows sooner than later.

Everyone

What do you do?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Haar, Woodspeaker

Haar dashes out of her chalet, nearly forgetting to close the door- not that it matters much, outside of keeping the cold at bay. The sun is shining, in spite of the settled, powdery snow. All around her, Aprous life flourishes as it always has. Older fawns, still with the white speckles of youth, are partnering with artisans- woodspeakers, lightbottlers, foragers, all keen to share their expertise. Grey-furred elderly sit in rocking chairs, busying their hands with whittling and knitting, idly gossiping away. One of them, eyes hidden behind chunky, opaque glasses, waves a shaky hand in Haar's direction.

"'ello love!" She greets warmly, as Haar wanders over, waving back. "Bit late to just be starting your day, no?"

Haar laughs, crossing her arms in mock annoyance. "Hello, Brisa, Elder. Not all of us can be up with the squawk of the first birds!" It was customary to refer to those you have deep, profound respect for as Elder- with the expectation that this was a title earned. Brisa had always been there for Haar, growing up, and had gifted Haar her first set of woodspeaking tools. The chisel; the handsaw; even the cup she drank her morning tea from - each had been inscribed with Haar's name in a gorgeous, flowing script. She had made the rocking chair that Brisa, Elder, now sits on in return, breathing magics into the wood's pores to keep it strong. Indeed, she'd been using it for over forty seasons, and it still looks as good as new.

"Mellan was looking for you, y'know." Brisa, Elder says, looking down at her knitting. "Said something about you helping with his apiary. Long story short, he's got you a jar of his famous sticky honey!"

Haar grins, nodding with enthusiasm. This was the way of the Aprous- help each other out, and give in return. "I'd love to share it with you over tea...but, actually, I had something to do first. Is Eira at the allée?"

Brisa, Elder, closes her eyes, a knowing smile plastered on her face. Not much gets past her. "Oh yes yes. I heard the fawns were going to learn about berry hunting, today. I suppose a little interruption for the sake of love wouldn't hurt their studies too much, no?"

"About time!" Another one of the eldery Aprous chimes in.

Haar can feel her face redden, and she scratches the back of her head. "Well...um...I should probably-"

Brisa, Elder, raises her hand in understanding, looking Haar dead in the eye behind her glasses. "Proud of you, Haar, Woodspeaker. Make sure you speak to Guthrie- it's tradition, after all."

Haar laughs, waving a quick goodbye as she turns on her heels, running with a fresh exuberance. She has so much to do!

As she dashes through the busy town, Haar takes a deep breath through her nose, smelling the fresh, crisp air mingle with a zesty orange. Someone's making mulled wine!

She has many a stop to make across the morning. Saar, Weaver, braids her hair with primroses- Eira's favourites, and in return Haar offers to fix up some of her shelves. Tempen, Songster, is happy to play Eira's favourite song- after all, Haar did help make his lyre! She even gets the chance to speak to Guthrie, Declarant, one of the oldest Aprous, who will ask the spirits around them for their blessing.

The Aprous are collaborative in their way of life. So too, are they collaborative in their way of love. As she careens through the streets, visiting home and workshop alike, the townsfolk are abuzz with excitement at the prospect of a proposal. Love is sacred, powerful, and something to always be welcomed. The Aprous raise their children communally (individual parents are not recognised) and so many have a vested interest in watching Eira and Haar take this important step in their lives.

The town stretches upwards, dotted across the steep hills, eventually giving way to vibrant, verdant forests. After a busy few hours, spurred into action by adrenaline and whimsy, Haar finally has a moment to stop and breathe. Ahead, at the allée, she will find Eira, her true love. There, she will propose to her. Should Eira accept, then the two shall dance in bliss, as the town begins a communal rite, creating a ribbon of pure light, to be weaved around both of their hands.

And then... they will absorb that light, within themselves, to bask in its warmth. And that light will be shared out in all they do together, slowly given back to the loving world around them, until their final days.

Haar feels her eyes water, and she shakes her head. Save the soppiness for later, Haar! You've got a proposal to do!

With a crowd of wonderful companions in tow behind her, Haar jogs on the path to the allée, knowing that all is right, and all will be forever right.

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 29, 2024

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Match takes a final look outside the window, focusing on a single snowflake, and telling himself he will leave for the day once it has fallen and found its place with its kin. The snowflake joins the field of white that covers everything outside, and so Match puts his satchel for school onto his back, opens his door, and steps into the hallway.

The bell has already rung, and many of the other students have already left or are in the process of doing so, everyone heading to the classes they have signed up for. A bright-eyed blonde youth, Yarum, and a bespectacled girl, Aleia, fellow students, quickly move past Match, but still raise their hand and smile in friendly greeting. A person of wood, named Ring, quickly moves up to Match and waits behind him, his head lowered and the satchel with his books and pencils clutched to his chest. Ring is a new arrival, and has attached themselves to Match, following him around everywhere. Ring does not talk a lot, but intently watches and imitates everything Match does. Match, for his part, is very happy to help Ring, to aid him in navigating the same confusion, questions and decisions he once had to face.

Match puts a reassuring hand onto Ring’s shoulder - because he understands what this means and when it is the right thing to do - and the two set off for their first lesson of the day. Match goes through everything he will do this day, more because he is looking forward to it than making sure he remembers. First is mathematics, then physics, both taught in the main building where the more theoretical classes take place. Match likes math, but is better as physics, finding that he has a more intuitive understanding of levers, force and inertia, his own body not so different from the machines made of pulleys and gears the teacher often uses.

The class is then taught sports on a nearby field - Match is especially good at running. Afterwards, they move from the school into the town, starting the lessons Match especially enjoys - learning and practicing things that will help out the community. In the communal kitchen, everyone helps cook and provide for those working for the town or that cannot feed themselves. The automaton is good at cutting vegetables, onions and such, but has trouble creating meals on his own. He can taste food and spices, but he does not enjoy or dislike it like people of flesh and blood. Nevertheless, he tries, getting friends like Aleia or Yarum to taste test his latest creation before inflicting it on the mass of hungry workers swarming the food kitchen. He has observed that while the town houses people from many places in the world, with many different languages and traditions, all enjoy a good meal equally. A hungry man or woman that is fed is happy, and it makes Match happy too.

There is a short class together with some of these people from foreign places, the students being taught their language and some of their customs, so that they can feel more welcome in their new home. By this time, the student helpers have arrived with news from their rounds around town - things someone needs help with, a broken kettle, a door that needs mending. Their woodwork and metalwork teachers know how to distribute the work among their students, those not yet as skilled making simple tools and toys, the more advanced students repairing the items brought in from town. Match is always eager to mend something if he thinks he is up to the task, because the students bring back the repaired or newly built thing to the one that needs it. He does not need a great declaration of thanks - though sometimes he receives it, especially when the need is great - but simply seeing the people he has helped is enough.

There is one other thing. He will fetch a few of the gifts he has made for the friends he will meet this evening from the workshop. Ring has promised they will help him wrap the presents. Match adjusts the satchel on his back and steps into his classroom. He is in time.

It is a good day.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Infinite Oregano posted:

Bellia

You scan your vision back towards where the others were, the trees blocking your view. Using what methods you have managed to acquire over time you attune your senses better (however temporarily) to more mystical wavelengths, and then it is you notice that the power coursing out of the woods, back where you were earlier - the First Gift, something has happened to it. Tell us how you learned to attune your senses in such a way, and is it a common talent amongst your people?

Given other circumstances, the Ice Elemental seems inclined to keep its 'word', and assuming nothing else untoward happen it'll more than likely remain here for a while still, the dreadnoughts reach it, it'll most likely flee - but other than that nothing seems immediately obvious - of course leaving to help the others would put you closer to harm's way regarding the dreadnoughts, but that should be obvious by now. However, just in case you cast your senses around in hopes of checking to see if didn't spot anything last time you think you see something on the hill rising up across the river... a glint of shine in the early morning gloom and then-

The sound rings out across the increasingly chaotic morning, breaching whatever silence there was left.

Take damage.

Assuming the Ice Elemental doesn't flee (it seems stout enough not to mind unless it actually comes under fire), you don't think the sniper is going to target it. If they're after you or the others, there's no reason why they would think you are allied with the elemental (in fact the longer you stay here the higher the chance it seems their suspicions might be roused), so if you were to flee into cover before this gets worse, then the elemental would be waiting here for you when you return, but then so would the sharpshooter.

Everyone

What do you do?

Sight alone doesn't tell Bellia much given the forest between her and the others, so after a deep breath in and out she closes her eyes to focus on the rhythms of the world surrounding her. So many things resonate through Bellia's blood and bones, but the deep pounding bass of the First Gift's power is immediately obvious among them.

Kimera rarely remain in static forms for long, and as such are constantly becoming acquainted with new senses and processing the new information they grant. In truth any Kimera could learn to feel the rhythms all things produce as part of their existence, but it's a tricky technique to master even before considering the difficulty of learning to parse the differences between so many varied beats and tempos. Conventional senses do just fine in the vast majority of situations, so most stick to refining them. In fact, Bellia herself first learned to feel the mystical by accident. An attempt to enhance her hearing during tracking practice with Nova lead to one shift too many, resulting in being overwhelmed by the music of the world. The feelings of that experience lingered afterwards though, driving her to hone the ability to listen as long as she needed to in order to make it just another useful sense.

Between the First Gift's heavy thrum and the Dreadnoughts imperious march, Bellia almost misses the light staccato rising from the hill across the river. The sharp note punctuating the shot being taken is hard to miss though, but she's tagged before she can even consider another move. The shot doesn't hit anything vital (single shots rarely do on Kimera), but it's incredibly irritating to have another problem to deal with now. Bellia dives for cover as the rhythms fade out, signaling Nova to head back and warn the others while she rolls into position for a retaliatory shot with her arms launcher. Quickly loading the spear, Bellia doesn't have much time to aim before firing...

((Damaging Wisdom as my price, rolled a 4 on Keeping Them Busy. I'm sending Nova back to the others, if I need to damage one of her stats for it I'll choose Loyal.))

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 1, 2024

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Infinite Oregano posted:

Nikolaos

Girding yourself, you hop down into the embrace of the First Gift, and let it take you....

...that very place that you were thinking of - on your throne aboard that ship, docked in port, the old woman nearby. It feels kind of nice. Wouldn't you rather just stay here and enjoy this, after all?

You know better but still, even you feel it starting to pull at you, although given that you are better informed and moreover a Gift-Bringer, its effect is likely not as enticing nor potentially destructive as it might one those with greater desires. It's probably better to find your fellows sooner than later.

Nikolaos knows this dream. He knows full well this is but a mirage, and yet, it always hurts to leave it behind.

"Please accept my apologies, but I must be going. I feel there are people in need of me, somewhere," he says to the woman. He does not wait for her answer.

It is, by all accounts, a beautiful day in a beautiful little town. The sun is slowly rising from behind the mountains, its rays dazzling Nikolaos as they sparkle above the snow line. He looks down at his feet to carefully cross the plank to shore.

First things first, Nikolaos thinks. I must find Match, then Haar.

It would be like finding a needle in a haystack, but Nikolaos had found needles before, in haystacks much bigger than this. It helps when you try to imagine things from the needle's perspective.

"Lord", Nikolaos spake, stretching his staff towards the sky. "I seek two wayward hearts, and likely they also seek me. Please lend me thy Metatron, so they may speak to me."

Nikolaos closes his eyes, focuses on an image of Match, fixes it firmly in his mind, burns the thought in his mind over and over again that he reaches out his old, weary hand and a wooden hand reaches back to grasp him. And with this thought in his mind, Nikolaos whispers:

quote:

What can Match tell Nikolaos about where to find Match?
What was Match doing, and what is he going to do next?
What does Match want, and how could Nikolaos help him get it?

Nikolaos rolled a 7

He prays that the angelic messenger relay his message to Match.

After a few seconds, he feels some sort of answer. It sounds like Match's voice, carried in the wind, from across the mountains.

quote:

People that need help know how to find our town. If you truly need help and have no bad intentions, you will find it.
Match woke up and prepared for the day. He is going to attend class, learn and work next, and meet his friends in the evening for a special occasion.
Match refuses to answer the last question.

"Hmm," Nikolaos says to himself. "The connection is weak, but sufficient to feel Match's presence. But this is not ideal. Do I need help? I was under the distinct impression that I was to give help. How will I find this town?"

quote:

Nikolaos rolled 4 to look closely...

Is something hidden or out of place? If so, what looks suspicious?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 3, 2024

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Haar

You have made your preparations, and it's almost time, nothing could go wrong! This will be perfect, and everyone else knows it too. As you get closer and closer to the allée however, an odd chill comes across you - with vague half-recollections of some kind of distant memory. It's probably nothing, it's probably just cold feet - or maybe the tinges of having forgotten something important for the big event. But it probably is nothing, after all, your heart is aflutter at what is to come - when you're this much in love and wish to cherish the person that you want to cherish for the rest of your life it's only to be expected that the gravity of such an occasion to have some off-feelings.

Do you try to focus on whatever this unpleasant feeling was, do you ignore it and press on, or do you try something else entirely?

Match

A good day indeed. It proceeds as expected, of course, you feel appreciated and moreover the work is contenting in nature, varied in ways and reliable in others. Keeping it interesting while not making any of it particularly difficult for you. You don't see yourself doing anything beyond this, and why would you? The fires of ambition do not suit you, and would not be helpful to any who might need your assistance. Of course, you do occasionally feel this nagging feeling at the back of your mind, like you're forgetting something, but you can't quite put a finger on it. It's probably nothing too important though, otherwise you would have remembered!

Do you try to make an attempt to forcefully recall whatever it is you've forgotten, do you let it slide and continue about your day, or do you choose a third distinct option?

Bellia

Nova heads off back towards the others, the sharpshooter seemingly more focused on you than her.

However, just as you make ready to fire your arms launcher, another loud BANG rings out across the valley, unfortunately this one smashes through the weapon - hitting it in just the wrong places - and it is sundered, knocking you back in the process. A tactical decision if there ever was one - and a disquieting example that whoever it is that has you in their sights is a crack shot. A shame, but weapons are purely that, they get broken, it happens. How did the (now broken) Arms Launcher work, anyway?

Regardless your position is now quite tenuous, although you can't see the sharpshooter in question you vaguely know their position, but what's more important is that they have not lost sight of you, your next move is fraught with danger - it is unlikely (at least as things are presently) that they will be content on letting you lie there. The ice elemental regards this whole situation coolly, seemingly unmoved by whatever is going on - though you can't be sure if it doesn't know or doesn't care, but at least it's still standing there steadily, a small blessing, perhaps.

What do you do?

Nikolaos

Initially you thought it would be simple to escape this place, after all the greatest fetter it might have on you would be your heart, surely? However, as you search more and more, and keep coming back to the ship that you arrived on, you realise with a sinking feeling that this place is resisting you - the First Gift recognises Gift-Bringers and does not care for their trespass upon such a place, after all once a gift has been given it is generally up to the recipient as to what happens next. The threshold that separates this dream from the rest of the First Gift's strange vistas remains just out of touch, ordinarily to someone who has not become so ensorcelled and is willing to look for such an exit would likely find it relatively quickly - but space and time in your dream has knotted upon itself to form a barrier to keep you closed in.

None of the simulacra of living, breathing creatures that dwell in your dream recognise this, of course, and if anything are even more prey to repeating themselves as you find yourself back where you started again and again. Unfortunately, you doubt that the temporal part of this prison is so gracious as to stop time passing outside of it also, and the more time you spend doing loops of this enchanting and historic location that likely now only exists in your memory is more time where Haar and Match remain open to... whatever end goal this gift is to achieve. Probably nothing too sinister in of itself, but to give into the dreamworld and to reject reality entirely is not a good attitude for anyone - especially not members of the Fellowship.

Your attempts to escape, although initially fruitless do yield some answers, though. Your nature as a Gift-Bringer despite being used as justification for your tribulations in this dream does give you the chance to try to use figurative brute force to escape, but utilising such mystical puissance would likely be dangerous.

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ELF - the Shattered

ELF manage to just barely scrape by the candied projectiles the dangerous automatons shoot with little more than a hole in one hat as far as damage goes. Which is good because when they arrive at the place where they left the fellowship they find no one.

While Gingersnap pets Soarky and gently coos at him until he's calm, the other two search the snow for clues of their companions' situation.

rolled sense to look closely, got a 5. Spending armor to avoid damage.