Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just a quick tip: There's really no downside to select a stance for all your ships during the deployment phase before each battle (you can select all of them and click the icon to speed things up), I'd recommend reload stance (the lightning bolt one) as is generically good in most situations, making you shoot faster and helping you recharge the thrust gauge.

Speaking of which, when you're activating thrusters for extra speed, your ships will collide into each other if they are bunched up (as opposed to normal movement where the AI wil actively avoid this happening), causing hull damage, moral and destroyed turrets. I suggest using the 'right click & drag' type of movement when ordering a big group of ships around, as it will help you put some space between your ships.

Keep up the good work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Tyranids in campaign are annoying, doubly so for beginners, because most first time players will play their fleets as brawlers because it's the easiest way to play. Tyranids punish brawlers hard.

If you don't know how to play the 'keep away' game, they are a pain in the butt, especially with pure space marines fleets.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

bunnyofdoom posted:

I assume Ad mech with like their novas, lances, stasis and rad bombs are the best? About to hit nids in my campaign

AdMech does fine against Tyranids, just keep away from them while firing at them and using all your damage abilities. Also, standarize all the ships you're going to group together i.e try to use ship classes with the same types of armament and speed. My go-to for AdMech is spamming Dictator class cruisers (along with a couple frigates), they are cheap carriers with two launch bays a nova cannon and moderately cheap. For Imperial Navy, I start the campaign mixing Dictator and Dominator class cruisers, but by the point of the Tyranid invasions, I just spam Mars class battlecruisers, who are basically the Dictator and Dominator mixed up together. Later on, when battles get too big to handle that many carriers, maybe I will mix some grand cruisers to act as line ships.

That's just me though, the chaos campaign taught me how to manage carrier groups and I love them.

Grammarchist posted:

That was basically my go-to, yeah. I think Space Marines had some tricks to make them useful if they're all you happen to have to respond with, but I generally wanted at least one Ad Mech fleet in any Nid engagement. It's been a while since I played though.

Space Marines suffer against Tyranids because boarding actions are weak against them, so you will just have to keep your distance while shooting broadsides to the enemies that jump too close, rinse and repeat. It takes longer and you get more damage in the process than with the other two imperial fleets but it works in a pinch.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 1, 2024

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm really looking forward to what comes next :allears: