Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

Hi GBS,

I wrote a short story set in Mexico during the pandemic. It's about love, drugs (nsfw), music, politics and a friendly duck.
Its online at https://www.inthelaguna.love if you want to give it a read. Would love to know what you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think it's good. At first glance I found the links to be distracting and they reminded me of the narrating style in Ready Player One. But now that I'm done I find they help in shaping the narrator's background and personality.
Of the alternate endings I think the first one has the most impact , even if I like the duck ending better.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:secondpost:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

did you have more fun writing or hotlinking

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Laguna is Garfield’s favorite food

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Was the story ever planned to not be written in first person at some point? I've always thought my own writing sounds weird in first person. Just spend a lot of time trying to not put "I" in every sentence.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Looks like a warez site op

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

No quema cuh

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

didn't read and your site looks like 1997 geocities op

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I think it's good. At first glance I found the links to be distracting and they reminded me of the narrating style in Ready Player One. But now that I'm done I find they help in shaping the narrator's background and personality.
Of the alternate endings I think the first one has the most impact , even if I like the duck ending better.

Cool! Thanks a lot for reading and for your thoughts!

As to the links, I met with this writer whose work I admire (Daniel Pinchbeck) to get some feedback before I shared the story with a wider audience. He suggested I streamline the narrative and add footnotes a la David Foster Wallace. I decided links would be a more natural way to provide context in an online format. I might still try a version with footnotes instead of links for a more purely literary vibe, but I'm glad you found they provided some worthwhile color and were not just a distraction!

The story was written from the start with the main ending in mind. I worried that an alternate ending might prevent it from having a resounding, unified emotional impact, which I think most good short stories do, but I like how the alternate kind of lightens things up, is a little more hopeful and offers a kinder, more mystical take on the psychedelic experience.

Thanks again Dumb Sex Parrot!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Mondo Wav posted:

Cool! Thanks a lot for reading and for your thoughts!

As to the links, I met with this writer whose work I admire (Daniel Pinchbeck) to get some feedback before I shared the story with a wider audience. He suggested I streamline the narrative and add footnotes a la David Foster Wallace. I decided links would be a more natural way to provide context in an online format. I might still try a version with footnotes instead of links for a more purely literary vibe, but I'm glad you found they provided some worthwhile color and were not just a distraction!
i want to thrown in that i thought they were a large distraction and i think you should've just gone with pinchbeck's direct suggestion--hell, couldn't you have made footnotes and just hyperlinked the specific numbers? i don't mean to dump on what you made here it's good but it wasn't fun to navigate through

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

cumpantry posted:

did you have more fun writing or hotlinking

Writing was definitely enjoyable, but I had to get into the zone and go bit by bit. I had the songs in the story on a playlist that I would listen to while I went at it, which helped.

For the links, I just microdosed some mushroom chocolate, had a few beers and watched Youtube videos of songs I love one night until 5am. It was pretty fun and easygoing!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I picked through your words from the vibrant HDR screen of my Apple iPhone while listening to the lonely soft lobby music that Slay the Spire coaxed thinly from a laptop speaker. I was supported for a time by my Herman Miller Embody task chair in front of my IKEA GALANT system, and later seated on my Toto where an exhaust fan buzzed out the tireless anthem of a workhorse.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I enjoyed the story OP and I definitely think you should keep writing and sharing your work.

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Was the story ever planned to not be written in first person at some point? I've always thought my own writing sounds weird in first person. Just spend a lot of time trying to not put "I" in every sentence.

Another thing Daniel Pinchbeck suggested is that rewriting the story in the third person might help me discover interesting things about the narrator. He said its important to shape the 'I'. I haven't done that yet but I decided the next story I write will be in the third person, so I'll see if that unlocks anything in terms of style. The story is gonna be set 10-15 years in the future about a female bartender from Mexico who opens a cocktail bar in Brooklyn after her husband dies and she cashes in on life insurance. She's gonna make magical drinks that come with poems, at least that's the idea I dreamt up last night.

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

Turpitude posted:

I enjoyed the story OP and I definitely think you should keep writing and sharing your work.

Thanks so much for reading and for your kind words Turpitude!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bradzilla posted:

and where is your novel that you wrotwe for nanowrimo???>

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im going to read the story just to piss brad off

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im going to read the story just to piss brad off

He'll probably just bring up another story he read that is way better :grin:

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

bradzilla posted:

90s Geocities is just what I was going for. A golden age of the internet!

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

cumpantry posted:

i want to thrown in that i thought they were a large distraction and i think you should've just gone with pinchbeck's direct suggestion--hell, couldn't you have made footnotes and just hyperlinked the specific numbers? i don't mean to dump on what you made here it's good but it wasn't fun to navigate through

Thanks for the feedback Cumpantry! You're motivating me to do the footnotes instead of just moving on to another story. It would be dope to get this published in a journal or something sans links and I think I would have to do that first.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

forgot to read this. i promise i will tonight op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

forgot to read this. i promise i will tonight op

cool! it'll be up for when the right moment comes hot cocoa