Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Since I have all the weapons and strategems unlocked, I've been playing around with different things. I've discovered that I like automatic weapons more - more bullets = better - even if it technically isn't as powerful as another choice. I also like big-bada-booms, like airstrikes and 500kg bombs. And charging up the quasar cannon to explode the face of a Charger just feels good.

So just pick the loadout you enjoy, it's not that serious. At least 2 of the other players are probably playing with the current OP or preferred loadout so you most likely don't have to worry about that aspect of it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Man the eruptor is so good; just fire a volley into a crowd and walk away while reloading before you resight and dominate more of them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Arglebargle III posted:

Explain to me how people are recommending the eruptor as a primary when its DPS is so low. You spend so much time cycling the action and reloading.
raw DPS in a vacuum independent of context is often a pretty poor metric to gauge weapons with.

it has a big rear end AoE that can splash groups of targets, it does explosive damage which means the damage isn't greatly reduced against spewer abdomens, it has good armor pen for a primary, you can sprint away while cycling the action, and switching weapons lets you skip cycling the action altogether.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Arglebargle III posted:

Explain to me how people are recommending the eruptor as a primary when its DPS is so low. You spend so much time cycling the action and reloading.
For one thing, the DPS is at least double what the numbers say because the stats don't take into account damage from its unique shrapnel mechanic.

For another, the explosion has significant AOE and the shrapnel hits even further, though there's some luck to that. Against tightly-packed patrols or enemies in dropships and bursts you can get 10x or more with one shot.

Is it the best weapon in every circumstance? No, but it has a lot of utility in any kit that's not taking AC or GL.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

Since I have all the weapons and strategems unlocked, I've been playing around with different things. I've discovered that I like automatic weapons more - more bullets = better - even if it technically isn't as powerful as another choice. I also like big-bada-booms, like airstrikes and 500kg bombs. And charging up the quasar cannon to explode the face of a Charger just feels good.

So just pick the loadout you enjoy, it's not that serious. At least 2 of the other players are probably playing with the current OP or preferred loadout so you most likely don't have to worry about that aspect of it anyway.

:yeah:

I'm in the same boat and pretty much every gun in this game is good enough to beat Difficulty 9s with if you put in the time to figure out how to maximize its advantages. I find the really popular ones like AC and Eruptor pretty boring compared to other options but I never really like using meta builds in games

I use the fire breaker against bots and it owns hard there :shobon: You can shoot the bottom of a dropship and it lights everything on fire, and then they're almost dead by the time they hit the ground

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 26, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

my experience has been strictly with bugs, I run it with a stalwart, the smg pistol and thermite grenades: it;s great at 7-9 because you're practically always running and you can shoot and scoot without dropping a volley unless flanked, its effective against bile spewers and nursing spewers whenever they show up, they can close bug holes.

I think you have to understand it's very powerful per shot, plus it has shrapnel so even if it doesn't kill your intended target the collateral damage is great. I really recommend an mg for your special and then your stratagems are anti-heavies.

Whats everyone's use cases for thermite? they don't strip armor like I thought they would on a charger. For example; I thought if i stuck one on the leg it would strip it and shred it like an disposable anti-tank but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bile Titan / Bile Spewer seed is wild, artillery from everywhere
https://i.imgur.com/GuJuL0E.mp4

deep dish peat moss posted:

:yeah:

I'm in the same boat and pretty much every gun in this game is good enough to beat Difficulty 9s with if you put in the time to figure out how to maximize its advantages. I find the really popular ones like AC and Eruptor pretty boring compared to other options but I never really like using meta builds in games

I use the fire breaker against bots and it owns hard there :shobon: You can shoot the bottom of a dropship and it lights everything on fire, and then they're almost dead by the time they hit the ground

Use the Scythe on bugs, you wont :smugdog:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Use the Scythe on bugs, you wont :smugdog:

Scythe on bugs is probably my favorite loadout in the entire game and I maintain that it's insanely good and people are just crazy. This is from a difficulty 8 :shobon:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Scythe on bugs is probably my favorite loadout in the entire game and I maintain that it's insanely good and people are just crazy. This is from a difficulty 8 :shobon:

:staredog:, with a laser dog or sentry right?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

IIRC that was scythe and laser dog with no support weapon or sentries

It was a spawn pool that was mostly small bugs and nursing spewers though. And I sat there defending the pelican for like 10 full minutes while my team ran across the map for dropped samples.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 26, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Wanna know what was the one thing you actually hit with a gun - I guess scythe doesn't track hits like the arc thrower?

Also had some weird spawns today on Bugs, played some 7s that felt like 4s - barely any charger or titan spawns. Did winning the major order have a stealth nerf to enemies or something?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think the 15 shots and 1 hit were a single redeemer spray before I decided to just use the scythe instead

Sometimes you just get bug spawns that are all smalls/mediums. They can be pretty tough if everyone is rocking anti-heavy weapons, and against bugs people always rock anti-heavy weapons so I always build to just slaughter the lighter ones, maybe adding in a quasar for chargers and shrieker nests. My other favorite bug loadout is breaker incendiary, supply pack, orbital laser, orbital rail, and 500kg.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 26, 2024

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

WarpedLichen posted:

Wanna know what was the one thing you actually hit with a gun - I guess scythe doesn't track hits like the arc thrower?

Also had some weird spawns today on Bugs, played some 7s that felt like 4s - barely any charger or titan spawns. Did winning the major order have a stealth nerf to enemies or something?

You get different seeds when you start the mission, you might've gotten all mediums or something like that. Things like that is why you can also get 4x stalker nests and heavy on the warriors.

I had a game earlier where I was fleeing a stupid alarm at a poi people insisted on fighting which was literally all warriors and bile titans, I fled into a poi with warriors to my front, and when I tried to go left and right it was also full on 15-20 warrior patrols. So anyways I started blasting, made it out, game is lit sometimes :stonklol:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Warriors are probably the most fun enemy to kill. Big and chunky but not armored

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Arglebargle III posted:

because one shot can kill a group of like 5-6 and even stuff like striders you dont really have to aim

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Amazing Member posted:

Whats everyone's use cases for thermite?
Wait for them to get buffed.

Considering they require precision throws and a significant amount of time to deal full damage the fact it takes 2 to kill medium targets like brood commanders and devastators and 3+ to kill heavy targets is ridiculous.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 26, 2024

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

All the beam guns seem to have the laser cannon's deal where they kinda suck at raw dps but have a fairly crazy hidden weak spot multiplier.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Sometimes I pick a joke loadout like 120, 380, walking barrage and airburst them I do insanely well with it. Meta hunting drains fun for most people. Squad balance is important but that's not the same thing as meta.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Air burst feels like it flies under the radar a bit but it’s insane how good it is against bugs. It will absolutely shred a breach and it pretty sure there is some interaction with bile titans where id it gets them mid-spawn or in a spot with high enough terrain for it to burst in its thorax they will get deleted. It’s not useful for killing them once they’re chasing you around but I pretty regularly see one coming out of a breach that’s getting hit with the strike and it will just fall over before it finishes its spawning animation.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gorelab posted:

All the beam guns seem to have the laser cannon's deal where they kinda suck at raw dps but have a fairly crazy hidden weak spot multiplier.

That, and I think something that can't be discounted with the Scythe is just how much uptime it has in extended fights. It spools up so fast that you don't need to hold it down when moving between targets, you can point at a target and then click - or once you get used to it and get the rhythm down with your timing, click just early enough that it spools up right when it reaches the target. It moves between targets a lot faster than the Sickle does doing the same thing, and while the sickle will have much more immediate burst you can't keep this up for as long as you can with the Scythe. With occasional swapping to a sidearm (dagger :q:) you can have near-100% firing uptime without overheating. And with that weakspot bonus it does things like slice the legs off hunters/pouncers fast enough to easily keep up with swarms of them. Since it's very precise with no recoil it's easy to kill hive guards by shooting their legs off in their shield gaps. It cuts shriekers right out of the air and does pretty well against nursing spewer heads. It pops warrior heads or cuts off brood commander legs pretty fast given how long you can keep firing

Pretty much any other weapon will do those things faster but isn't able to keep up a near-100% uptime for as long as the Scythe can, even the sickle will need to spend time cooling down. So I think it gets a lot of flack for not being able to deal with individual threats as fast as other weapons, but once you learn how to use it, it deals with them pretty fast and just never stops doing it. I'm being facetious when calling it insanely good, but it's a fun and surprisingly competitive option if you get a feel for it. It only really suffers from not having penetration, and against bugs that's only a huge problem if you get bile spewers.

Now pair it with the laser cannon and you can fire continuous beams until they're about to overheat and swap between them so you have 100% laserbeam uptime almost indefinitely.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 26, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I take airburst all the time these days. Two minutes is a short cooldown for something that'll delete all medium and small enemies in a pretty wide area.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

That, and I think something that can't be discounted with the Scythe is just how much uptime it has in extended fights. It spools up so fast that you don't need to hold it down when moving between targets, you can point at a target and then click - or once you get used to it and get the rhythm down with your timing, click just early enough that it spools up right when it reaches the target. It moves between targets a lot faster than the Sickle does doing the same thing, and while the sickle will have much more immediate burst you can't keep this up for as long as you can with the Scythe. With occasional swapping to a sidearm (dagger :q:) you can have near-100% firing uptime without overheating. And with that weakspot bonus it does things like slice the legs off hunters/pouncers fast enough to easily keep up with swarms of them. Since it's very precise with no recoil it's easy to kill hive guards by shooting their legs off in their shield gaps. It cuts shriekers right out of the air and does pretty well against nursing spewer heads. It pops warrior heads or cuts off brood commander legs pretty fast given how long you can keep firing

Pretty much any other weapon will do those things faster but isn't able to keep up a near-100% uptime for as long as the Scythe can, even the sickle will need to spend time cooling down. So I think it gets a lot of flack for not being able to deal with individual threats as fast as other weapons, but once you learn how to use it, it deals with them pretty fast and just never stops doing it. I'm being facetious when calling it insanely good, but it's a fun and surprisingly competitive option if you get a feel for it. It only really suffers from not having penetration, and against bugs that's only a huge problem if you get bile spewers.

Now pair it with the laser cannon and you can fire continuous beams until they're about to overheat and swap between them so you have 100% laserbeam uptime almost indefinitely.

I’m gonna try this. The meta guns all do better when shooting those weakpoints too but it’d be fun to go all laser. Scythe, Dagger, Rover Guard Dog, Laser Cannon, Orbital Laser. What would last stratagem be? Orbital Railcannon Strike is kinda like a laser. Can Laser Cannon kill Bile Titans?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

got hit with that "one person gets on the pelican and it immediately leaves" bug :|

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

LazyMaybe posted:

raw DPS in a vacuum independent of context is often a pretty poor metric to gauge weapons with.

it has a big rear end AoE that can splash groups of targets, it does explosive damage which means the damage isn't greatly reduced against spewer abdomens, it has good armor pen for a primary, you can sprint away while cycling the action, and switching weapons lets you skip cycling the action altogether.

I want to see gameplay of someone doing well with it on helldive. There is something I am missing about people’s eruptor love. The problem I run into is actually getting that AoE to kill enough enemies with each shot that I don’t end up overwhelmed. There are lots of terrain situations that are disadvantageous to explosive weapons and AoE. Enemies higher than you, enemies that spread out (hunters have to be a huge problem), enemies that have formed a conga line so you only get like 2 per shot. Those problems don’t seem solvable by constantly repositioning during the bolt animation. My assessment was that it doesn’t kill fast enough to reliably prevent bug breech loops.

And that’s not to mention some of the other issues like ricochets when trying to shoot at the ground next to an enemy, shrapnel rng causing it to do little damage, and the wobbly sight.

I took it on a medium mission with a jump pack for high ground and fought the bugs at extract to give it a real softball. It felt like way more work and higher TTK than breaker incendiary or sickle.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dren posted:

I’m gonna try this. The meta guns all do better when shooting those weakpoints too but it’d be fun to go all laser. Scythe, Dagger, Rover Guard Dog, Laser Cannon, Orbital Laser. What would last stratagem be? Orbital Railcannon Strike is kinda like a laser. Can Laser Cannon kill Bile Titans?

The laser cannon cannot kill bile titans :( It's okay against chargers shooting them in the rear end - you can kill them after sidestepping 2-3 charges, which isn't great but it works.

Railcannon stikes + 500kgs are my answer to BTs on an all-lasers build. But mostly letting my team handle them whenever possible.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 26, 2024

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dren posted:

I want to see gameplay of someone doing well with it on helldive. There is something I am missing about people’s eruptor love. The problem I run into is actually getting that AoE to kill enough enemies with each shot that I don’t end up overwhelmed. There are lots of terrain situations that are disadvantageous to explosive weapons and AoE. Enemies higher than you, enemies that spread out (hunters have to be a huge problem), enemies that have formed a conga line so you only get like 2 per shot. Those problems don’t seem solvable by constantly repositioning during the bolt animation. My assessment was that it doesn’t kill fast enough to reliably prevent bug breech loops.

And that’s not to mention some of the other issues like ricochets when trying to shoot at the ground next to an enemy, shrapnel rng causing it to do little damage, and the wobbly sight.

I took it on a medium mission with a jump pack for high ground and fought the bugs at extract to give it a real softball. It felt like way more work and higher TTK than breaker incendiary or sickle.

Pair it with laser dog, pull out redeemer for close stuff, done

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I had a tower defense level 7 on Estanu where nothing more threatening than a Nursery Spewer spawned. no wonder people never leave this front.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Can you imagine a game in which raw dps would be a less useful metric.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I think the Sickle and the Autocannon should be the benchmark for balancing everything else. They’re both incredibly fun and feel strong, but their drawbacks or limitations make them less of a zero thought choice. If everything gets put on that same level then I don’t know if I’d ever stop playing.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Cheap Shot posted:

I think the Sickle and the Autocannon should be the benchmark for balancing everything else. They’re both incredibly fun and feel strong, but their drawbacks or limitations make them less of a zero thought choice. If everything gets put on that same level then I don’t know if I’d ever stop playing.

the sickle is absolutely getting nerfed, it is too good of a generalist with no glaring weaknesses

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Sickle is pretty clearly the only S-tier automatic but the Dominator, Scorcher, Eruptor, and Breaker Incendiary are up there with it for various reasons. If it gets a nerf it should be small and alongside large buffs for the assault rifles and DMRs.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The Sickle needs a reduction in ICE to make you actually give a poo poo about the cooldown mechanic, and make overheating it a tradeoff / drawback like the Laser Cannon; instead of just treating it like a Liberator+.

It's a cool gun, and feels good - it's just got too much uptime and efficiency advantages over basically every other light pen gun.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 26, 2024

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Infidelicious posted:

The Sickle needs a reduction in ICE to make you actually give a poo poo about the cooldown mechanic, and make overheating it a tradeoff / drawback like the Laser Cannon; instead of just treating it like a Liberator+.

yeah I think they could halve the number of reloads you get and I wouldn't even notice

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Schwawa posted:

yeah I think they could halve the number of reloads you get and I wouldn't even notice

Honestly if I were AH I would

Swap all the regenerating ammo guns to the same 1/1 setup as the laser cannon to further differentiate them from mag based guns.

Swap the Sickle and Scythe's Optics.

Give the Scythe Ramping damage with heat build up - current at 0% 2x at 75% 3x at 90% so it has some mechanics to engage with other than aiming at heads like every gun.

Give the Dagger the same 300 DPS as the current Scythe but rapid damage falloff that starts at 10m.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
i think they should make a gun that shoots smaller guns

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Hazdoc posted:

i think they should make a gun that shoots smaller guns

hellpods are fired from the super destroyer and contain guns and things that fire guns like sentries and helldivers

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I mean it’s got that spin-up before it starts firing. It’s small but it means you cant snap-shoot. Something suddenly in your face or bots /bugs calling for reinforcements can be a problem. Once it does spin up though it never stops killing trash. The up time is incredible. I agree it doesn’t need as many reloads as it has. They could cut it down to one or two and I’d still feel good about it.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/helldivers2/status/1783831163317989858

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Lololol that will make reddit explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

preemptive congrats on the new rocket launchers everyone