Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Airburst is lots of explosions tho

ok but is there like anyway we could pack it... in the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

then it would be a Groundburst

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

will an airburst be low enough to set off a planted hellbomb?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Hwurmp posted:

then it would be a Groundburst

I would love a mine you step on and it launches a cluster bomb 3 feet into the air.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
let's do mines as a goof

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

thotsky posted:

let's do mines as a goof
Hellmines.

When you absolutely need to wipe the team.

Liberty Vest - Sacrifice yourself and spread the love of democracy to anyone near you.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Piell posted:

Turrets do everything mines do but better, is the main issue. If it's a gatling turret, that includes killing your squadmates

Rocket devastators love to snipe out turrets though, and they might work better against chargers

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Chronojam posted:

Rocket devastators love to snipe out turrets though, and they might work better against chargers

You fail to see that turrets are still doing everything better than mines. In this case, they're better at getting sniped by bots!

In all seriousness, I unironically love mines for the new defense mission. You just turn bug breaches/bot drop zones into inhospitable hellholes where they have no choice but to step on said mines, and the heavy targets that ignore the mines eat an EAT to the face.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Imagine if the antitank mine was a big discus you could throw at tanks and the airburst rocket is a Spear variant that also doesn't lock onto anything. The choice is not so easy now, is it?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Mines are going to win. The mine meta is dominating competitive Helldivers right now and this is just going to reinforce it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Chocobo posted:

competitive Helldivers

The what now?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it says "Dive For Liberty" but I don't know how to dive on board the Super Destroyer :911:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dren posted:

I want to see gameplay of someone doing well with it on helldive. There is something I am missing about people’s eruptor love. The problem I run into is actually getting that AoE to kill enough enemies with each shot that I don’t end up overwhelmed. There are lots of terrain situations that are disadvantageous to explosive weapons and AoE. Enemies higher than you, enemies that spread out (hunters have to be a huge problem), enemies that have formed a conga line so you only get like 2 per shot. Those problems don’t seem solvable by constantly repositioning during the bolt animation. My assessment was that it doesn’t kill fast enough to reliably prevent bug breech loops.

And that’s not to mention some of the other issues like ricochets when trying to shoot at the ground next to an enemy, shrapnel rng causing it to do little damage, and the wobbly sight.

I took it on a medium mission with a jump pack for high ground and fought the bugs at extract to give it a real softball. It felt like way more work and higher TTK than breaker incendiary or sickle.

In all my loadouts it's a primary that I don't use as a primary. I being a call down that works in close to medium ranges like the ARC, Laser Cannon and Stalwart depending on enemy. At long ranges I use the Eruptor and as soon as they get to ARC range it's ARC all day long. This works really, really well.

I usually run it with an EAT as well.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

darnon posted:

Deciding factor between the two choices in my mind is how effective the airburst will be against ground targets. As it is we have weapons for dealing with gunships easily enough and shriekers are even less of an issue; plus it's invisible chance whether you even get either spawn.

Yeah this is where I’m at. New stratagems to mess around with will always be fun, but unless it’s a super shotgun for ground units its use seems too narrow… until we get more and heavier air units.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Hazdoc posted:

i think they should make a gun that shoots smaller guns

They have that in uh...what's it called Enter The Gungeon, maybe?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

BitBasher posted:

In all my loadouts it's a primary that I don't use as a primary. I being a call down that works in close to medium ranges like the ARC, Laser Cannon and Stalwart depending on enemy. At long ranges I use the Eruptor and as soon as they get to ARC range it's ARC all day long. This works really, really well.

I usually run it with an EAT as well.

yup, its one of the most fun loadouts imo

i feel like ppl that are down on the eruptor are trying to use it for the majority of the mission instead of bringing it out at appropriate engagements.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i feel like ppl that are down on the eruptor are trying to use it for the majority of the mission instead of bringing it out at appropriate engagements.

I bring eruptor every time on bugs just so that green spewers can go to hell immediately

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I dunno, on bugs 7 and below I am using the Eruptor a lot. It truly is my primary.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

d0grent posted:

I bring eruptor every time on bugs just so that green spewers can go to hell immediately

absolutely, being able to tell those bastards to gently caress off immediately with a primary is its best use. Everything else it does is bonus imo

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hwurmp posted:

it says "Dive For Liberty" but I don't know how to dive on board the Super Destroyer :911:

That's OK, it's actually a typo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So for those of you having fun with Eruptor, specifically on 7 or higher bugs missions, what are you running (presumably in addition to Laser Dog) to handle the situations it can't?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

So for those of you having fun with Eruptor, specifically on 7 or higher bugs missions, what are you running (presumably in addition to Laser Dog) to handle the situations it can't?

EAT or Flamethrower
Orbital Airburst
Eagle Napalm on low difficulties, 500K or Orbital Railcannon on high

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

It felt pretty good to run Arc, Stalwart, or MG alongside Eruptor. Presumably HMG too but I actually still haven't messed around with that. You still run a Redeemer just in case because the Eruptor is all the bug hole closing power you need and then you just run a couple of anti big unit strats alongside that. Like ORC and AC turret with a final option of your choice, I love airburst strike against bugs but laser still works great too.

Granted I don't really do that any more because I'm not the biggest fan of Eruptor against bugs, it's best use case is at range and that knocking you forward bug discourages me from using it against anything approaching close from medium range and bugs love to swarm.

I believe shoot and scoot works here but I always have something sneak up on me or run into the situation where I'm keeping my distance but then get pincered by a couple small patrols and one of those is going to be pure hunters.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Eruptor, Redeemer, Stun grenades, ARC, EAT, Laser Dog, (110s|Orbital Laser)

Stun grenades are the super easy way to get some room or to get free when you realize you're getting surrounded. Redeemer comes out when I get poked by hunters or Stalkers.

Edit seems like we are all of basically like mind on Eruptor complimentary call in weapons.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 26, 2024

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I just want an Eruptor-like with non-lovely handling and no shrapnel. Give me my drat bolt-action rifle Arrowhead!!!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

FilthyImp posted:

Hellmines.

When you absolutely need to wipe the team.

Liberty Vest - Sacrifice yourself and spread the love of democracy to anyone near you.

I would absolutely bring Hellmines to toss under a bot drop.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Potato Salad posted:

I prefer autocannon for bots so this is bugs only but i always just run airstrike, 500lb, railcannon, quaso, eruptor, redeemer, impacts right now

handles everything and lets me play effectively in a pair or lone wolf if my team is being dumb and has worked fine on 7 and 9s

eruptor can 1 shot broodcommanders at range, stalkers, groups of enemies, honestly the worst enemies remain hunter packs cuz they spread out but thats why you got the redeemer

i try to pickup a backpack from a teammate if i can

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Potato Salad posted:

Redeemer is good enough to gently caress up anything in your immediate vicinity. I don't even use the laser dog, recently I have been bringing a Spear + ammo bag for the Spear but the stalwart is also a nice companion for it if you're still getting used to effectively using the Eruptor.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I’ve had a lot of luck with:

Eruptor
SMG
Impacts
Quasar
Gatling Sentry
Two wild cards (I usually don’t take a backpack and try to bum one off a teammate 5 minutes in so this is usually some combination of eagle cluster, 500kg, rocket pods, Gatling orbital, orbital strike, rail gun orbital.

The idea is to stay mid range. Open with a Quasar on an armored enemy. Deploy a Gatling gun to your side where it will have visibility of the approach path then disrupt or the enemies as they approach you.

Unlike playing with a Breaker or something if enemies get close you need to Run The gently caress Away and the redeemer is there to scrape hunters off yourself as you do.

Engage at mid range and watch sight lines and ensure you have elevation and eruptor can erase packs easily.

Bile Titans you just swap to quasar every 8 seconds and if it’s chasing you run away.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

laser dog + arc + EAT + stun grenades + dagger

a lot will prefer the redeemer, but im worried about ammo and the dagger handles all the threats that i will run into with this loadout (mainly those drat leaping bugs)

this loadout can easily handle every threat the bugs throw at you, its a lot of fun

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

If my previous posts didn't make this evident, I too am using it as a true primary. I usually run with Flamethrower that I only whip out to barbeque Chargers or spray flames and retreat.

Potato Salad posted:

The only situations they can't handle are Chargers and Bile Titans. After Laser Dog you have 3 strategems left for just those. I do Flamethrower for Chargers (Stun Grenade, Aim for leg, final Flame Upgrade speeds it up). And 500kg and Orbital Railcannon for BTs. Usually one Erupter shot to the underside of a BT will kill it after a Railcannon strike. You could switch out Railcannon for EATs but personally I don't like being tied to where I dropped my Flamethrower.

Or ignore all of that and just use Quasar or EATs. (Or both!)

BitBasher posted:

seems like we are all of basically like mind on Eruptor complimentary call in weapons.

It surprises me to see so many people bringing Arc Thrower with Erupter. I feel like Erupter covers the Arc Thrower use cases pretty well already.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 26, 2024

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Potato Salad posted:

Honestly the only situation it can’t handle outside of heavies (just walk away) is “stuff is literally right on top of you” and the redeemer does a real good job at clearing that stuff out. I’ll run arc thrower + stuns + eruptor + redeemer and then whatever variety of anti heavy/airstrike you prefer and it cleans the gently caress up.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

The what now?

Dude! Haven't you seen the latest zHiver Pro Helldivers 2 League (or ZHPHD2L for short) match? It was crazy how close it was.

There's like a million dollars worth of prize support.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Potato Salad posted:

I don't run laser dog as one of my strats, ever. I might pick one up if a teammate's being generous and I don't have a backpack already, but I don't think I've ever readied up for deployment with the laser dog the entire time I've played Helldivers 2. I think the sweeping beam does far too much team damage and I actually prefer the Guard Dog despite its thirst for supply boxes. Even still, I usually don't run Guard Dog at 7 either unless I'm feeling meme-y.

I'm also a weirdo who prefers the crossbow over the Eruptor. It's actually way better at shoot+scoot than the Eruptor (the reticle moves much faster/more smoothly with your movement, meaning you need very little time to correct your aim once you turn around to shoot). While it can't clear bug nests, that's why you bring the Grenade Pistol.

Regardless, I take the same stuff when I use the crossbow as I would the Eruptor - the Machine Gun or the Flamethrower. Both will take care of hunters and their ilk quite handily, with the Flamethrower giving you the added bonus of clowning on Chargers (if your fire damage isn't bugged) meaning you can save your strats for the Bile Titans.

SMG Pistol is also really handy in a pinch, and I do tend to take that with the Eruptor rather than the Grenade Pistol since the Eruptor can close nests.

For big targets, I like using Orbital Railcannon + Eagle Rocket Pods. Rocket Pods are very reliable if you use a stun grenade to stop the Charger first. Railcannon is reserved for the Bile Titan.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Baby T. Love posted:

It surprises me to see so many people bringing Arc Thrower with Erupter. I feel like Erupter covers the Arc Thrower use cases pretty well already.

Eh, on bots the ARC stun locks a lot of things like zerkers and Hulks to death, while the Eruptor is better against walkers. Eruptor murders a lot of bot drops in the cradle just by a single shot into the belly of the dropship. Arc murders jumpy exploding robots and knife guys.

It pretty much covers everything easily except tanks and factory striders off the top of my head. And we have strategems for those.

Edit: and against bugs the Arc is superb against hoppy bastards close by while at longer ranges the Eruptor just mangles entire breaches and patrols except for the heavies.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Eh, on bots the ARC stun locks a lot of things like zerkers and Hulks to death, while the Eruptor is better against walkers. Eruptor murders a lot of bot drops in the cradle just by a single shot into the belly of the dropship. Arc murders jumpy exploding robots and knife guys.

It pretty much covers everything easily except tanks and factory striders off the top of my head. And we have strategems for those.

Edit: and against bugs the Arc is superb against hoppy bastards close by while at longer ranges the Eruptor just mangles entire breaches and patrols except for the heavies.

Oh right, Bots exist.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Quasar, 500kg, railcannon or airstrike depending on my mood and the number of antitank weapons everyone else is bringing.

Also stun grenades. (And yes, laserdog).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Potato Salad posted:

quasar/eats and dog and you're set, yeah. last two strategems are dealer's choice. I like eagle airstrike and orbital airburst for dropping on nests/breaches/eggs but whatever's fine

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Redeemer, Impacts + EATs / flame, Orbital Airburst, AC Sentry, 500kg.

Usually 2 people are taking laserdog so I'll just bum the second one off of them.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

johnny park posted:

I just want an Eruptor-like with non-lovely handling and no shrapnel. Give me my drat bolt-action rifle Arrowhead!!!

There was a lever action rifle that got data mined a while ago. Also the original had a gun that was just an m1903 springfield