Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Don't care about the war, only here to get samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fabricated posted:

The thing I'm running into is having way more rare samples than I do regular samples which is kinda funny.

Also some of the ship upgrade paths seem insanely weak compared to others.

Sample economy is kind of backwards, if you're doing at least Hazard 7 missions frequently you'll quickly end up with more super and rare samples than you can ever spend. I'm coming up on Level 50 and have ~90 super samples, ~200 rare samples and I'm still farming up commons to buy the last few missing upgrades.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

If someone hits you with the Scout Handshake you're allowed to kill them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Automatons are trying to trick Helldivers by deploying holographic decoys that look like disembodied red eyes and hulk weak spots. Do not fall for their ruse.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Sindai posted:

Has anyone seen a factory strider recently? I haven't seen one since the Cyberstan invasion despite doing a lot of 7s and 8s.

Not sure they're still in the enemy pool. Wasn't playing at the time they were showing up, I've been doing 9s recently and still never seen one.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Behold, the mating ritual of the oil shuttle. Both tried to position over the same oil well for a few seconds then one flew off and the objective autocompleted without us having to do any of the usual pipe fastening/unfastening. There was also a fourth player with an invisible name despite being there since the previous stage.

The game crashed to desktop as soon as the mission was over. Really getting the full Helldivers experience today.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

BadLlama posted:

The group I been playing with do not have a lot of ship upgrades and I never realized just how impactful the +50% ammo for turrets is. Mine will pew pew for considerably longer than their un-upgraded turrets.

What I am saying is get all the turret upgrades because upgraded turrets are pretty amazing.

They're going to have to add something really good to make me stop taking Autocannon Turret on every mission. Once you have the upgrades it will clear large Helldive encounters on its own, it might be the single best value stratagem if you can toss it somewhere out of harm's way. Orbital Railstrike takes some additional damage to take down a bile titan, the autocannon turret can do it on its own with ammo to spare. Now that I have the blast shielding from the recent round of ship upgrades it can even withstand a rocket in Automaton missions and keep going.

Just wish it had some kind of internal list of targets to avoid. Sometimes it does enough damage to save you from being helplessly overrun, other times it turns around and shoots the side of a fabricator over and over to ne effect until it's out of ammo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Question Time posted:

Never had any luck with sentries at all against bugs, whenever I think a placement is good a bunch come from that direction and blow it up really fast.

Been using the Tesla Tower against bugs recently. It will still get destroyed quickly if there's a charger/titan anywhere nearby but it can deal with the lower level stuff like it's nothing. If you're ever being swarmed just toss one down and they'll all feel compelled to attack it while you run away and see dozens of kills racking up at the bottom of the screen.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Vic posted:

It's not fun to shoot and it doesn't do much damage or mayhem and it feels like a backlog "will fix later" weapon because it was way too op.

Pretty much, yeah. It was dominant enough in the meta that tryhards were kicking players if they didn't bring it, the devs were right to go for the nerf but they overdid it I think.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

If you search under the truck next to the SS Anne you can find a Spear the locks on consistently.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

does anyone know if the eruptor got changed so they can't take down stalker nests? edit: or if they never could

Just ran a mission to test this and it was able to close two stalker holes without issue.

e: Shriekers I dunno.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Give me a mech with double arc throwers on each arm. The bugs/my teammates will flee in terror.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mordja posted:

Just had some guy join with a cooldown cheat, constantly throwing down sentries. It actually took until the second map to cotton to it, partly because he wasn't doing as much the first time, partly because it was a rocket defend and everyone else had also loaded upon turrets.

In 100+ hours I've only encountered one guy hacking. Running around at 3x movement speed, wearing a shield generator backpack with infinite health, firing Scorcher rounds and EATs with infinite ammo/increased fire rate/no reload. Guess if you're going to cheat you might as well do them all at once.

When we finished the mission the completion screen bugged out and nobody got any experience/samples.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

Post ur #1 flexible loadout

Sickle
Grenade Pistol
Standard Grenade

Orbital Railstrike (every time)
Autocannon turret (every time)
Arc Thrower/Autocannon (Arc for bugs, cannon for bots)
Free space (Usually 110 rocket pods or Orbital Laser)

Deals with just about everything unless I get completely overrun. Didn't used to be a fan of the Arc Thrower but after the recent ship upgrade it tears through all bugs outside of BTs (and even works then if you're patient enough).

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

autocannon feels great until you get a charger/titan

You can kill a charger in two autocannon shots if you hit one of the back legs twice but it's hard to get the angle just right. Never been able to do it consistently, sometimes it works but at least half the time the shots bounce off the armor and do nothing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

I’m genuinely unsure of what its role is. It doesn’t target the airships, it doesn’t have long range, it doesn’t kill heavies. Can’t indirect fire and have it hit tank or hulk weak spots from behind. If you use it as short range you and your team are dead.

It seems like it’s only good for patrols at the exact medium range to not catch yourself in the splash. Stun grenading then air bursting a pack of the chain saw bots was very satisfying.

It definitely dethrones the river or mortar sentry as the accidentals mvp.

Shooting it into the center of a bug nest might be ok. Seems generally ill-suited against bots, even if you catch a patrol of destroyers unaware it generally doesn't do enough to kill them all.

Ran helldives with it for a few hours and only had one or two occasions where it got good value, mostly I just ended up killing myself. Don't think I'd waste a slot on it but getting it for free and being able to insta-clear a site of interest full of strider scouts isn't too bad.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What are the thoughts on the recoilless rifle? I just started playing this and it seems real good so far, if a little slow between shots.

Decent weapon, I used to run it consistently but mostly switched over to the Autocannon. AC has a lot more ammo and is better for clearing out large amounts of mid-armor enemies like Devastators, recoilless has low ammo and a long reload time but offers some utility the AC lacks like shooting down dropships and blasting Bile Titans in the face. AC is more methodical, RR is about quickly killing a high value target.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the only weaknesses it has are tanks and cannon turrets at long range, and no weapon is actually good in that scenario. (maybe if they fix the spear.) and that weakness is easily patched by 110mm eagle strike.

Only clear downside is that shooting hulks in the eye has to be relatively precise for it to count. You can 2-shot them but it often requires taking first-person shots and letting them get closer than I would like. It can still hit at 100m or so but the shots tend to bounce off even if they look like they're dead on.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Not my gameplay, but this is why you bring proper loadouts, and aggro responsibly

https://i.imgur.com/5lfKBbr.mp4

Weren't they teasing some kind of personal nuke stratagem a few weeks ago? Calling down a Davy Crockett wouldn't be a great choice for general use but could clear everything out and stabilize situations like these where you're completely hosed otherwise.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That sure is true, been doing some random quickplay to get into some 40 minute missions instead of the boring termicide tower ones, the amount of pubbies on helldive that will teamkill you over the slightest infraction in their head you've committed is staggering, someone was dead for half a minute and spamming spacebar to get revived, so I respawn them on me, they immediately try to teamkill me because they were "with their duo" and I "violated rule 3" ... anyway I kept away from him after that, solo'd 2 of the 3 egg cluster objectives and looted every sample and credit in every poi on that third of the map, run back in for extraction and they teamkill me "no traitors on my ship".

I wish I could say this was a rare, unique experience with pubs.

You must be getting some crazy bad luck, I run 9s more or less exclusively and have only had two bad experiences with pubbies in ~150 hours that I can remember. One game with a group of British football hooligan types in a 3-man and another game with some whining dork of a host who complained about us not doing objectives while we were in the middle of loading a SEAF and then kicked everyone. Only time I've ever seen deliberate teamkilling was when an objective bugged out and softlocked the mission so we all started shooting each other before quitting out.

It's a lot like DRG, if you're competent enough you can generally get through things alone in the highest levels and having allies is just speeding things up. Anyone taking things super serious and getting angry about suboptimal strategy or whatever is probably bad at the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

If you quit during a mission you should be given the traitor barrage the next time you drop, no matter where you are. Also there should be a big flashing (TRAITOR AND A COWARD) after your name so everybody knows what you did.

Ok but they have to fix their netcode first. Still getting plenty of games where halfway through a mission it just cuts to black screen and then I'm standing back on my ship without an error/kick message or anything.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

As soon as you see a stalker it should be the immediate priority to find and destroy the nest above anything else. A lot harder to do now that they just *appear* and ragdoll you to death with tendril whips, before you could see the silhouette clearly in the distance and trace them back easy enough.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mordja posted:

I've had to make accounts for tonnes of games far worse than Helldivers 2, and it's a mild annoyance at worst. Not sure why I'm supposed to care one way or another about this one.

I had to make an Origin account to play Dead Space 3. This is an obnoxious move by Sony but gently caress it, I'll jump through the hoop.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Rosa Parks smiling down from heaven on the Helldivers 2 gamers like a Stan Kelly cartoon

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

You really find it more like that Valve saw a bunch of negative reviews and just randomly decided "gently caress Pakistan, Gambia, and Tokelau!"

Gaben has a long-held grudge against those countries and will utilize any flimsy pretense to act against them

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Baiard posted:

I took a screenshot of a flying glowing blue thing that kept turning invisible, thinking it was an Illuminate Scout, but upon closer inspection of the screenshot it's just a flying insect of some kind. :argh:

Arrowhead looking to win back their good will by introducing flying stalkers.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I used to be skeptical about the Orbital Rail Cannon, but I tried it on a few smaller-group missions where we didn't bring much anti-tank support, and it was absolutely the MVP stratagem against Hulks.

Does it one-shot Tanks too? The only one we saw ate an in-progress Orbital Laser so we didn't bother using the Rail Cannon.

It one-shots tanks as well. I think Bile Titans and Factory Walkers are the only enemies with enough health to take a hit and keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

how are you guys targeting 500 kg at bile titans? Should I be trying to land the bomb more towards where the head will be at time of detonation, or am I really just trying my best to land squarely between all four legs?

I've seen a 500kg lodge itself directly in a BTs face and it didn't kill it. You want it underneath ideally so it does the maximum AOE damage and one-shots it.