Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sab669 posted:

How long does a Mission take typically? I played the original one way back in the day but don't remember poo poo about it other than "was fun". I snagged this but only had time to do the tutorial before having to log in for work :argh:

The standard mission types have a 40 minute timer but you can complete them as fast as 10 minutes if you just bumrush the objectives and extract. There are also 'blitz' missions with a timer of 10-12 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Agreed that chargers are too common for how much of your attention they require. A breach or hive spawning 3-4 of them in rapid succession is incredibly frustrating

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Maybe this is obvious but have you tried reinstalling

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've been under the impression that's essentially what validating does.

No. I'd uninstall it and then also go into your Steam game directory and delete any remaining installation files as well as that AppData folder you mentioned before, and definitely look into if you have to/can uninstall the anti-cheat separately and scrub it from your system. Then reinstall and see what happens :shrug:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Related - if you have an anti-materiel rifle, you can shoot open the buried shipping crates that have special loot in them. No need to waste a grenade or other explosive. I wouldn't be surprised if you can also use the autocannon or railgun

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

https://www.pcgamer.com/helldivers-...aign=socialflow

Glad they're already on it

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah, what captchas lol

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

GruntyThrst posted:

Oh my GOD these defense missions against the bots are loving brutal, even on 5

Yeah it's just a non-stop swarm, it's crazy

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Phenotype posted:

What weapons do you bring to terminator planet? I played a couple rounds there yesterday and it felt like half the enemies had my LMG rounds bouncing off their armor. How do you deal with, like, the AT-STs if they're coming right for you? I tried shooting them in the legs but that bounced off too.

Oh, and also, how do you farm samples at any reasonable rate? I've got like 5 hours playtime and I haven't gotten enough to buy a single upgrade.

The anti-material rifle. It two-shots devastators and berserkers and three-shots striders from the front (I think it two-shots them if you hit a leg but that's pretty hard). Plus its huge effective range is great. It chews through ammo though so maybe bring a supply backpack

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Each EAT drop has two one-use rockets and the stratagem's cooldown is 70 seconds vs like 480 seconds for the rest of the support weapon stratagems

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Suggestions for killing Berserkers quickly? Seems like they can take a ton of punishment despite not being very heavily armored but I assume I'm doing something wrong

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I love sentries but I really wish they didn't target dropships. I've stopped bringing gatlings to bot missions because they usually just drain their entire clip bouncing off dropship armor

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

queeb posted:

is the autocannon bad? i figured it'd be able to shoot off the front legs of a charger but it just bounces, and those are what seem to be the biggest hurdle for mid level groups

It's godlike against everything below heavy armor, but yeah with chargers for example you have to hit them in exposed bits with it. If you're playing solo you can always just run autocannon + EAT and between those and your primary you have enough firepower to take almost anything down as long as you don't get overwhelmed

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The issues are not just server capacity - in fact they said they have artificially lowered their max capacity to 450k from whatever it was, because the actual bottleneck is their databases that have to sync the entire galaxy war state and every single player's statistics. It's why they disabled the global stats you see on the ship like number of Helldivers active/bullets fired/etc. Just cutting as much overhead as they possibly can to give the databases room to breathe

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

They did it

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

fuckin wild. this is just steam right?

Yeah I got it from SteamDB. IIRC the devs have said the playerbase is more or less evenly split between PC and PS5 so they're approximately at 800k total

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Well the Pelican CAN kill you if it lands on you or if you're under the thrusters, so there's that at least

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Lol I forgot the door also has physics. In fact last week we couldn't get in because a hulk corpse blocked the door from opening

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The Slugger also penetrates medium armor which is not shown on the tooltip

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

CC on the flamethrower would be nice. This is more far-fetched but it would also be cool if the AI forced the enemies to try to path around the fire on the ground so you could actually use it as true area denial

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Is it annoying, disappointing, or frustrating to not be able to play a great game because of technical issues? Yeah. But the people earnestly going "can't believe I don't get to play the game I spent FORTY DOLLARS on" or whatever are insane. It's not a concert or a plane ticket. The game will still be here next week, and the week after, and so on. It's not going away. You aren't missing out on your one chance to play. Relax

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

^ not that I'm aware of. I believe it is always perpendicular to the direction you threw it

I love the AMR against bots. It can kill everything except tanks (you can two-shot hulks with headshots) and you can engage enemies from far outside their ideal range. You can also very easily pick off any of them calling for reinforcements. I would not run it vs bugs, though. You have to brawl way too much and it is not good at that

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I think the 380 barrage has a niche in dealing with heavy outposts, or the "destroy airbases" bot missions. They're usually big enough that if you put the ball in the middle, every shot will hit something. But I wouldn't ever bring it just for general purpose and the 120 barrage absolutely sucks

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Xpforr posted:

Has anyone broken down how the unsafe vs safe options on the rail gun work? Is it worth the risk?

It makes bugs explode into a shower of gibs when you shoot them. 10/10

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The damage definitely keeps going up. I've noticed that you can't one-shot Brood Commanders without a close to full charge

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There's 4 (5?) support weapons that break heavy armor - the eat-17, the recoilless, the spear (debatable i suppose) and the railgun. AMRs can efficiently kill every robot unit except tanks and base turrets. There was a gif posted not long ago in this very thread of someone killing two hulks with the AMR.

Saying there's only one weapon that breaks heavy armor is frankly inexplicable. What'd you do, grind eradicates until you could get the railgun?

The AMR does not break heavy armor. I use it constantly because I love it, but it kills hulks with headshots because hulk heads are medium armor

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah even the smaller bugs have limb damage modeling, it's really cool. I'm not sure about the teeny tiny ones but like you can blast limbs off the basic warrior guys and they'll crawl around trying to get you

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Charger legs are surprisingly vulnerable to small arms fire after their charge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWiUwksefQ

Man this is weird as hell lol. I almost don't want to learn how to do it because it feels like it's gonna be patched out immediately

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

what is the best method to get super uranium? my friend group is not as frothing at the mouth for more helldivers the way i am so im doing higher level stuff with randos.

It only spawns next to a specific rock that looks the same in every mission:

efb

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any consensus on which ship upgrades to prioritize? I can afford one, almost a second one, but none of the first-level ones seems too exciting.

The Eagle line of upgrades is very very good

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I'd really like for sentry AI to not target dropships. It makes the sentries almost worthless vs bots, especially in eradication or defense missions with lots of dropships

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah as an avowed fan of the barrages, even though I know they're largely bad, I won't use the 120. It doesn't do ANYTHING. The 380 is such a spectacle though, I love it

I've also found that the barrages are also generally much better against bots than bugs because bug nests have those curved walls that block a lot of shots.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

explosivo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAIJIWDhOuc

Not sure how legit this is but it sure looks it!

It's from a reddit post where the guy says someone else in his game was loading stuff like this in: https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1b28cyd/mechs_enjoy/

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ijyt posted:

does anyone remember what they said about content updates me and a friend can't remember when to expect the next content drop

Every 2nd Thursday

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The travel time on the Dominator's projectiles just makes it way too awkward to use in a firefight. It's like a semi-auto version of the plasma gun from Quake 3 but with a smaller projectile. Maybe the numbers on it are good but I'll never find out because it feels so bad to use. If I want a single-shot medium range high damage gun with no scope I'll just use the Slugger

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I want to like the arc thrower and I think it does an okay job when it's working, but it also seems extremely buggy and I've had moments where it seems to just... not fire. I'll let go of the button and there's a spark at the end of the barrel but it doesn't shoot a lightning bolt out at the enemy I'm aiming at. It happened like 5 times in a row the other day and I haven't touched it since because I was so annoyed

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah the hellpods are even shaped like bullets lol. It's great symbolism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

George RR Fartin posted:

Man, I'm glad I can get in to play now, but last night - the first night in well over a week when I've had time - I played a relatively long session (hour and a half/two hours) and my PC just hard crashed during the results screen. It's been super reliable since I built it, so it took me a minute to realize what had happened. I reach to reboot and it is hot. Like, space heater on full blast hot. I haven't had a game do that to this PC ever. Naturally Reddit was full of assholes saying IT'S YOUR HARDWARE STUPID, SOFTWARE CAN'T OVERHEAT THINGS which is....a new type of dumb troll for me, but there was one post saying the rendering option can screw it up, so I've set it to Normal and set the frame limiter to 100. I can't imagine I'm hitting insane frame rates normally, but it might just be something incredibly stupid like the menus make use of that same setting and thus shoot to a zillion FPS and cause the CPU/GPU to go insane. We'll see how it goes tonight (or possibly tomorrow night). I'd blame this on the patch (and many appear to be) but I wasn't able to play the game consistently until the patch actually happened, so I have no context for pre-patch beyond the first like three days, which weren't particularly strenuous.

I literally bought a new case with better airflow and moved everything over last weekend because this game was cooking my computer lol. CPU and GPU load temps were consistently ~85 C with the game running and now they're 60