Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

jokes posted:

Gas sucks because it's not instant/direct damage and it's not as sexually pleasing as Eagle airstrikes/cluster bombs/500kg bombs

Also I love seeing people follow the meta and loving suck

Gas, napalm and the orbital airbursts are "toss behind you as run away" strats where you giggle at the killcounter increasing while you're already at the next objective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The gas should be flammable so you can kill everything

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD3pxbG9YYI

I knew the game was gonna rule but this trailer is when I knew

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

turn off the TV posted:

you're expected to kill hundreds or thousands of them in a mission. and the difficulty in those missions either continuously increases until you fail or are trivial enough that you're expected to basically play the game like you're speedrunning a third person platformer.

Yeah just like helldivers!

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Insert name here posted:

Me: You only have to hit them twice in the face it's not so bad
Also me: *suffers from a major case of Skill Issue*
https://i.imgur.com/kflU9UT.mp4
This is me with the AMR as well :v: I think it might be better to shoot out a leg first so that it's both easier to hit and can't chase you down anymore. Alternatively shoot out a leg and both arms for the achievement.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Happened to click on an old trailer and it looks like there's already a load more destroyer upgrades in the pipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXddWD88jeI

You can see they start with the current level 3 hangar upgrade:

And then it upgrades three more times past that:

They show off something similar with the orbital guns as well. Better start saving those samples!

yeah there's a lot of stuff that's seemingly almost done or were cut during development. it wouldn't surprise me if these were the vehicle upgrades. assuming that all of the things found in the game files end up making it into the final build then they should nerf the railgun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It did seem like those sectioned off parts of the ship next to the computer where you get strategems from could open up to a new thing once upgraded. It's too conspicuous.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

explosivo posted:

It did seem like those sectioned off parts of the ship next to the computer where you get strategems from could open up to a new thing once upgraded. It's too conspicuous.

Assuming you're talking about the two spots with "under construction" signs, they do open up once you get those two areas upgraded.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Gas, Gatling, and Walking Barrage are all lowkey extremely good once upgraded and its always funny when someone stares dumbly at a huge bug nest you just flattened with them while they were playing tag with some hunters

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

bandaid.friend posted:

I feel we're losing a lot for the armour value issue

Tried out the plasma gun. While shooting little bugs I was thinking "this is like a Breaker but more dangerous to me and my team" except the Breaker fires faster and has more ammo. The explosive trait almost never helps. Like, I can shoot nursing spewers in the abdomen. But it's faster to kill them by shooting them in the face than the abdomen so I might as well be using a shotgun or railgun. Bile spewers? There's too much armour, use a railgun. It's slightly better at shooting medium size bugs at range but is absolutely worse at hive commanders. And I feel I need a support pack to feed it.

Haven't tried it against bots yet! It's accurate with a little splash so maybe it's useful at shooting devastator faces. But I don't think explosive helps against robots?

Late here but the Scorcher absolutely owns, imo. Bile Spewers die in 4 or 5 hits, Scout Striders can die in 2 hits from the front (splash damage kills the rider), and can blow out a Hulk weakspot in 4 or 5 hits as well. For what it's worth it also destroys Spore Towers in like 5 hits. I guess doesn't "win" against the Breaker in a vacuum, but it's pretty good.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Darox posted:

Assuming you're talking about the two spots with "under construction" signs, they do open up once you get those two areas upgraded.

Myself and another L30+ Death Captain joined a L28 on their ship prior to a mission. They had nothing upgraded (so they basically spent all of their time grinding defense missions).

The one Death Captain peaced out immediately. I decided to join them on their mission, but I should've followed the other DC's lead. The L28 pubbie died once, took us back to the ship, and left the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Darox posted:

Oh cool! I didn't know that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It's still kind of incredible to me that HD2 runs on the same deprecated Autodesk engine at its core that Fatshark seems to have so much spaghetti built around.

Granted we haven't seen any significant front-end patches for HD2 yet so we don't really know how jenga-y their version is, but still

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

threelemmings posted:

Yeah just like helldivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuddKyxiVsY&t=48s

yea just like it

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

bandaid.friend posted:

Tried out the plasma gun. While shooting little bugs I was thinking "this is like a Breaker but more dangerous to me and my team" except the Breaker fires faster and has more ammo. The explosive trait almost never helps. Like, I can shoot nursing spewers in the abdomen. But it's faster to kill them by shooting them in the face than the abdomen so I might as well be using a shotgun or railgun. Bile spewers? There's too much armour, use a railgun. It's slightly better at shooting medium size bugs at range but is absolutely worse at hive commanders. And I feel I need a support pack to feed it.

Haven't tried it against bots yet! It's accurate with a little splash so maybe it's useful at shooting devastator faces. But I don't think explosive helps against robots?

Bots do have weak spots, and explosive helps immensely against those. The radiators on the back of Hulks/Tanks/Cannons/Devastators/Striders (yes, Striders do have radiators on their back of their hip joint but at that point it's just better to shoot the bot driving it) all count as weak spots and take increased damage from explosives. You can test it by shooting the weak spots with a Railgun and compare that to shooting them with an Autocannon - the Autocannon will kill it in far fewer shots thanks to its explosive property, which the Railgun lacks.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Myself and another L30+ Death Captain joined a L28 on their ship prior to a mission. They had nothing upgraded (so they basically spent all of their time grinding defense missions).

The one Death Captain peaced out immediately. I decided to join them on their mission, but I should've followed the other DC's lead. The L28 pubbie died once, took us back to the ship, and left the game.

People optimising for farming Req and XP is especially baffling because they cap out far faster than any other meta progression. Common Samples are my biggest bottleneck, followed by super samples.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, if you can stay mobile the autocannon is spectacular for robots. Three shots for the biggest things (tanks, turrets, hulks) and two for the mid-tier things, and one shot to a strider's legs will bring it down from distance.

Shoot striders on the top third of the blast shield and the explosion kills the pilot and the mech, and any other striders in front of it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Warframe is extremely cool and unique, but every movement feels like in an MMO when you run through a crowd of other players just clipping through models

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Insert name here posted:

This is absolutely me as well, but I do partially blame the scope for being incredibly big and blocking my view of everything while I'm using it.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, as much as I want to like the precision weapons, I really only seem to do well when my approach is "volume of fire" . The AMR scope seems especially finnicky to me. Also there's no greater pleasure in the game than firing the full drum on the machine gun at 600rpm into an advancing wall of chaff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fishstick posted:

Gas, napalm and the orbital airbursts are "toss behind you as run away" strats where you giggle at the killcounter increasing while you're already at the next objective

Gas is also fun to drop on bug breaches, kills or severely injures everything that comes out as it comes out.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Darox posted:

People optimising for farming Req and XP is especially baffling because they cap out far faster than any other meta progression. Common Samples are my biggest bottleneck, followed by super samples.

Yeah it's effectively less efficient long term since you'll easily get XP and Req capped out several times over while farming for samples.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ess posted:

Yeah, as much as I want to like the precision weapons, I really only seem to do well when my approach is "volume of fire" . The AMR scope seems especially finnicky to me. Also there's no greater pleasure in the game than firing the full drum on the machine gun at 600rpm into an advancing wall of chaff.

I love fighting huge armies of chaff and whatever the immediate upgrades of those are. Large amounts of big enemies like chargers and hulks is tedious and annoying but a bunch of warriors and termite-looking things?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am excited at any opportunity to use the weapons in a way that also makes the Helldiver s themselves excited. Any situation where they start doing that maniacal laughter? That's my ideal.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’m glad they lock out higher difficulties until you complete a campaign. Keeps those easy mission grinding mouth breathers out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’m glad they lock out higher difficulties until you complete a campaign. Keeps those easy mission grinding mouth breathers out.

Not much, I still see plenty of lvl 4-5 people in like level 7 missions that must have been carried by a friend

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Insert name here posted:

I see a Helldiver that is still alive and a Hulk that is dead. I see no issue. Sometimes the way the sausage is made ain't pretty, but as long as you get a sausage in the end it's good in my book (Note: Helldivers are not an approved ingredient for sausage, please don't TK the rest of the team just to make one thing dead).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 28, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

LuiCypher posted:

From then on out, even in Suicide bot missions, I started leaving my Railgun and Backpack at home in favor of the Autocannon and Orbitals (Gas, Laser, and either the 380mm or Eagle Airstrike depending on my level of spice). And you know what? It works. I watched two dudes with Railguns and Backpacks flail around against a tank while I quietly maneuvered behind it, put three in the weak spot lickety-split, and watched it explode all without calling in any Orbitals or Eagles.

:feelsgood:

You uh.. realize you can shoot tanks in the weak spots with the railgun, too?
Getting behind things works with any gun, magically enough.
The AC does win out on how QUICKLY it can dump 3 shots in there but saying the railgun cant do this (or just shoot them anywhere for a kill) is kind of silly.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

Darox posted:

I've just now realized that the Major Defense order wasn't personally for me, but is a meta-event for everyone. I've been doing nothing but defense orders because I thought I wasn't doing it right or something. I've done some offense runs to help break up the monotony so I'm not completely behind.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

The AC does win out on how QUICKLY it can dump 3 shots in there but saying the railgun cant do this (or just shoot them anywhere for a kill) is kind of silly.

They are not saying that. I don't even think they're implying that. They're saying they succeeded with an AC where two people with railguns failed and it felt good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

I encountered a tank on Extreme difficulty that had armour where the heat vent on the back of the turret would normally be. That was a nasty surprise.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DarkDobe posted:

Yes, I do know that you can, uh... shoot Tanks/Towers in the weakspot with the Railgun. I've, uh, killed a few Tanks/Towers this way myself. If you, uh... read my post, you'd see that I never said that the Railgun could not kill a Tank. The full context of the sentence is "...three shots to the weakspot on Tanks and Cannon Towers with the Autocannon and they are done, which is something the Railgun cannot do."

What I'm saying here is that the Railgun can't kill a Tank/Cannon Tower in three shots to the weakspot, which is eminently true. You can test it yourself, it's a provable claim.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Huckabee Sting posted:

I've just now realized that the Major Defense order wasn't personally for me, but is a meta-event for everyone. I've been doing nothing but defense orders because I thought I wasn't doing it right or something. I've done some offense runs to help break up the monotony so I'm not completely behind.

I only learned the same thing from you just now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Huckabee Sting posted:

Pennsylvanian posted:

I only learned the same thing from you just now.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I encountered a tank on Extreme difficulty that had armour where the heat vent on the back of the turret would normally be. That was a nasty surprise.

This may have been a bug, like with bot cannon turrets. That is, assuming its a bug at all...

Hopefully it is. Weak spots that encourage movement/dodging are great.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

LuiCypher posted:

What I'm saying here is that the Railgun can't kill a Tank/Cannon Tower in three shots to the weakspot, which is eminently true. You can test it yourself, it's a provable claim.

It absolutely can, though? I have done so repeatedly? It's hard to do on the towers, since they turn towards you after the first hit - but it isn't impossible. Tanks die in 3-4 shots to the vents from a railgun.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 28, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Dandywalken posted:

This may have been a bug, like with bot cannon turrets. That is, assuming its a bug at all...

Hopefully it is. Weak spots that encourage movement/dodging are great.

There's a bug where a 'ghost' version of the turret stays in place while the actual turret turns elsewhere - this can lead to it looking like the weak spot is covered by armor.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAIJIWDhOuc

Not sure how legit this is but it sure looks it!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

GlyphGryph posted:

I am excited at any opportunity to use the weapons in a way that also makes the Helldiver s themselves excited. Any situation where they start doing that maniacal laughter? That's my ideal.

I'm hoping they bring back the 75 round AR from the first game so I don't have to stop shooting just because my MG ran out of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

explosivo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAIJIWDhOuc

Not sure how legit this is but it sure looks it!

Ready for my beautiful metal baby to get bonked by a charger and fall down a cliff, exploding horribly.