Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've played a few matches. it's a lot harder on your own, and starting out with few stratagems playing solo is TOUGH. I failed an extraction and the ship decided not to come because I was too far away, but the bugs never stopped swarming the extraction point. I thought they'd stop after I killed all of the current wave since the ship wasn't coming, but they just kept on coming.

I also got my first and second crashes to desktop. First in a lobby, second during a tough part of a match. I suppose I'll try turning down graphics settings (I never changed them but I think they're on ultra, I have an nvida 3800)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The main causes of team kills are the mortar turret and the anti personnel mines, and pubbies.

This game sucks to play with fools but I'm sure the player base will get better as time goes on, like the last one.

I find difficulty 3 is too easy with a team of three people who know what they're doing, but difficulty 4 is not like "ok we'll add tanks sometimes", it's like "some missions will have one or two tanks and some will have 100".

We also found that figuring out how to do objectives is some of the hardest stuff about the game. We were trying to select missions with objectives we knew how to do but that's pretty hard when it's just an icon. Some of the icons are easier to figure out than others, like "destroy eggs" is a picture of eggs.

Sometimes we were just running around trying to figure out what was what.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
You need to be wearing the backpack first is all I know. If you're already wearing it and trying to help and failing, then never mind.

edit: when that gun drops, on the other side of the drop pod is the reloading backpack for it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The grenade launcher + auto shotgun + machine pistol is so good. As long as you get supplies as soon as they're available you'll always have grenades. You can take out the large charging tanks with about a mag of grenades from in front. If you run out of grenades and there are lots of enemies... oh no! you can change to your auto-shotgun which is not quite as good but makes REALLY short work of hordes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
what does the moving round circle indicate? Where your shot will go, or some other thing?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Helldivers 1 had missions with super bosses on rare occasions. I think it was just as a planet was about to be liberated, maybe. Does helldivers 2 also have super boss missions?

Like in 1 there was a bug queen or something, and a super robot guy. I think.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the 'kill x y's' orders are bugged. I saw 'kill 20 striders' and I did a few missions where I killed at least 5-10 each, and it showed no progression. same with 'kill 3 chargers' which I do like 2-3 times per ant mission with a full clip of grenade launcher grenades each time, unless somehow someone's 'kill stealing' me each time. but for sure I kill the walkers myself, one grenade takes them out.

I also disconnected more times yesterday than any other day (steam). I feel like network issues are getting worse.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Retro42 posted:

The 120 and 380 are best used on bigger objective areas to just soften them up if it's only one person using them.

I'll chuck one of them in there prior to calling in my supplies/weapons I want for a bigger fight. Typically they'll take out a Fab or some turrets/forces. They also work really well to cover you falling back out of a hot spot. Toss one over your shoulder and just keep running, they'll clean the field for you to get out safe.

Even when just starting out it's fine to throw a grenade or two at your feet as you escape fast enemies who are just behind you, or call in an orbital strike and throw it a second or so of running, ahead of you and run through it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I understand calling down reinforcements on bile titans or something, but it's getting old summoning my grenade launcher, dying instantly because someone blows me up, then spending 10 minutes getting reinforced onto enemy waves, landing, running, dying, getting summoned into the middle of a wave again, etc etc. Just throw my reinforcement into a peaceful area please!!!!

On that note, also don't drop right next to a red area at the start of a mission if it's over level 4. I don't like starting in a running firefight when I'm trying to get my supply pack and grenade launcher, I can't kill them fast enough and there will be dropships/bug tunnels if we don't prepare first.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
On difficulty 4 I can normally take out a big charger from in front with one mag of the grenade launcher, I think. Today I played difficulty 3 and had a mission to kill two charger boss bugs. Those guys needed at least three or four clips each. Are the bugs that are marked as mission objectives, a lot tougher?

Also someone online said that the eagle cluster bomb is great and still destroys objectives, even though the text said it can't. It really doesn't! It did maybe one out of six times.

I like the eagle 500kg bomb and orbital strike, what are other great attack stratagems?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Can you take out drop ships with a grenade launcher or is it not worth trying?

And, where should I aim?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
There were city-only maps in helldivers 1.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I love the bug spore tree things that gently caress up visibility on the whole map. One or two grenades and suddenly you're playing on a different map, it seems!

Although one time I blew one up and there was still fog everywhere. There may have been another one in the map though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I was about to complain how I'd waited for the weekend to be over and it's still queueing me, but I suppose everyone's trying to play this afternoon now that it's president's day. Maybe tomorrow!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
For those who got past the black screen: do you just wait at the black screen, and if you're lucky something happens?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The breaker (spray and pray?) Non-elemental auto shotgun is great. It does tons of damage but has no power against armor. It can still kill walkers from the front. The railgun has 20 rounds, needs a fairly quick reload after every round, is not as powerful as the eat-it but still penetrates all armour and can kill an armoured robot flamer chainsaw giant with 2 shots to the front armor. It can kill a bug charger with 3 shots to the same leg. It instantly kills most other things. 20 shots is like 7-8 eat-it's. It's not like the grenade launcher where each grenade damages tons of enemies and you can just spray and pray, but it kills things the grenade launcher struggles to kill and will use an entire clip or two on.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What's a really good end-game build? When I got to l20 I switched from grenade launcher + supply pack to railgun and either guard dog rover or the shield pack. I've switched to eagle airstrikes because those can apparently kill anything (but I'm starting to think that's not correct and maybe want to try more eagles, cluster bombs is good but a bit weak against heavies), and I like the EMS mortar turret. On a base defense I take Railgun, Guard dog, the HMG Emplacement and the EMS mortar. I play L5 at the highest, I haven't tried l6 yet. In the first helldivers if I was with a good group we could do the l9 missions.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I had a great game earlier where some guy was extremely bad and dying a lot, and I was the only person in the team who reinforced. I was far from everyone else but they were all far from each other too.

He was on voice and every time I res'd him he'd say "noooooo why did you do that you're so far away!" And he'd then die about 5 seconds later. Idk how, I was throwing the res thing away from enemies and nobody was bothering me. During the rewards at the end of the game he left before we got our samples and the screen went grey. Does that mean I won't get anything?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Who was in the wrong here: I was playing a planet with the "call downs take 100% longer" debuff. I threw two eagle strikes into enemy bases. Both times I said 'get back' in chats. Both times my teammates ran into the strike zone and 3 were killed. Now there's enough time to get away even without that debuff. One guy got super mad both times and called me a team killer and acted like I did it on purpose. I've never seen this before, what's going on, am I bad at video games?

Edit: even without the debuff if I throw an eagle strike at my feet, there's enough time to run away and be safe.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It's funny waiting for a res, and you see a teammate fleeing, stop, get a reinforce beacon, turn around, throw it into a horde of enemies, and carry on running away.

Then you are reinforced and die instantly.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just use the breaker all the time. Can someone suggest a better default gun against bots? The latest warbond gun I've seen is the breaker spray and pray, so I've unlocked everything until that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

quasar is really good at sniping bot fabs and turrets. It takes 3 hits to kill a turret from the front, but you can do that from 250+ meters away. Bot fabs need to be hit in the exhaust, so they can be done from range, but you need the correct angle

Does the quasar have 'bullet drop'? The few times I used it, I thought it might, but that makes no sense since it's a laser kind of weapon?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Quasar takes two hits for a brute, even in the heat sink. Same deal for the tower cannons. 2 in the front or two in the heat sink. Are the heat sinks actually weak or ???

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Every page, about 2-5 people post about 'eagle airstrike is always one of my choices' so I went back to it and used it for a few matches. There was one bot drop that I did a direct hit on and didn't kill a single bot. It doesn't kill the big shield bots or the gundam missile devastator bots. Maybe I'm just bad at video games?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just got kicked after calling extraction. Is that a thing that people do for some reason? I wasn't teamkilling, and had just brought all 3 back.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else on PC getting dropped during matches a lot, with a "you've lost your internet connection" issue?

Last night I got it twice within 10 minutes. Today I then did a helldive by myself where I lay in a bush for 34 minutes without dropping. I decided to finish the mission and about 3 minutes after I started running around and throwing airstrikes, it disconnected me again.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The factory striders are hilarious. I did a rail cannon strike, an airstrike, a quasar shot, then an orbital laser. My laser was done and the other guys laser was about to run out when it finally died. Before this I thought a direct hit with an airstrike would take out literally every single thing in the game. APPARENTLY NOT.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Skill issue for not having four orbital lasers ready to go!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

So do you think the developers have like a special testing environment setup that is somehow different from the actual game we are all playing, or did they really play test the thermite grenade and go "yep, this is what it should do: absolutely loving nothing"

Isn't thermite fire, and doesn't fire only do damage on the host's machine, AND doesn't the actual host swap around each drop, regardless of who is 'hosting' on their ship?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Lobok posted:

But that's not what we voted for! And this game is all about democracy!

Where and when was this vote?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I tend to tag my shield+quasar on the map when I lose them, so I can easily find them. However yesterday I did that and a dude 1 meter in front of me picked it up when I got there. I wasn't really sure if it was mine or not so I didn't do anything.

Has anyone had this happen before, and did you stop tagging your stuff on the map as a response? I can start doing that, but tagging the stuff on the map is super useful if the place is full of enemies.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
speaking of the 9's difficulty: I had 2 colleagues who were super good at helldivers 1. We would do difficulty 9 helldives after working up from 3 or so when we started. We'd been playing for a year. It was always a giant shitshow especially when extracting!

Anyway, I was good and could do 9's in a good team. Now when you invade the home planet of the bots or bugs (and presumably illuminate) there were also bosses. In my over a year of playing, I saw bosses one or two times (the automaton giant tank with a human head? boss?) and I did NOT kill them, I remember basically getting one-shotted a lot or dying instantly for some reason. I can only imagine the level of salt that'll happen when more or less unkillable bosses are introduced.

I'm also waiting for the tentacles-through-the-earth bugs to appear and piss everyone off a lot 'I got killed from behind cover!'

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Did a level 7 yesterday where we dropped next to a jammer which was within range of a gunship factory. People would die, ping 'reinforce me' and quit within about 5 seconds. One time I said 'I'm running to where I can reinforce you!" and the guy dropped anyway. Everyone dropped apart from me, I threw a beacon, we got some great guys and won even though I died right at the end. Do people not find adversity fun, or something?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
One of the automaton planets currently available has a weird setup where there are tall cliffs that curve forward at the top, so if you stand next to the cliff and call down a gun or shield pack even a few meters in the 'open space' direction (the not-cliff direction), I think it lands high above you? so you have to look up before you summon. I lost my shield at the start of the mission and my quasar later, to the same issue before I figured it out (then immediately forgot about it!). It's less a bug and more bad level design or something.

You call it down, it says it's been called down (i.e. you can't call it again) and the shield/quasar/etc is literally not on the minimap.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I really don't find the 'destroy X automatons' missions fun at all, they're the only ones I hate. At this point I just bring strikes and barrages to them. I love the 40 minute missions and the blitz missions. Is there a way of gaming it so that I can get 3 of the kinds of missions I like? Otherwise I'll just run the 40 minute/blitz missions and skip the final one 'destroy X whatevers' but I suspect the pubbies might get mad.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Away all Goats posted:

Host your own missions/campaign and don't pick the ones that have the destroy all x missions

Do such campaigns exist? I was asking because every single loving mission-group has one of them from what I can tell.
edit: some bug pesticide tower related mission groups do not have 'eradicate x bugs' but that's about it, those mission groups only appeared last week.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 2, 2024

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've got the EMS turret and if nobody else has it it's a game-changer, better than the orbital laser if everyone else has enough 'boom'. At this point when I drop in my scout recon armour I can be sure that all of the pubbies will trigger bot drops, so I just call it ASAP and it helps the start-of-mission-pubbie-shitshow every time.

The recon armour + the "move hellpods more" upgrade have made this game a lot easier.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I logged into helldivers, checked a bunch of menus, and don't see anything about PSN. I probably did it ages ago. How can I check if I've done it or not?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I hid helldivers specifically in my friends list or profile or something, and now my friends can't see me play. That's all great but I want that to stop now.

If I try to unmark it as private, I still only see the option 'mark as private'. When I go to my friends list there's an eye with a line through it symbol next to my name. In steam I'm fully online. Help!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, same. Every so often it just. does. not. move. Otherwise, it's a huge difference. I wish it also slowed the descent because with fog, dust, or dark there are a lot of times I just can't tell what's below until I'm about to hit the ground and its too late anyway.

I'm pretty sure there are some structures/etc that the hellpods are 'told to avoid' and if you're dropping too close to one, it disables your controls to make sure you don't land on top of the thing they've designated as 'un-land-on-able'