Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
huff... a random geometry spike spawned in front of the console so I couldn't use it

also had a bug earlier where I couldn't get into the pelican, but at least there I got credit for completing the objective

and an issue where the civilians took a super long circuitous path around the backside of the safety point instead of just... walking to it

but otherwise game fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Post your ship names y'all!

Started with SES Princess of Supremacy, but finally settled on the much more entertaining SES Fist of Mercy

Song of Freedom

It goes a little something like this:

ahem

O Super Earth, O Super Earth
Home of Free-dom and Liber-ty

Into Hell, for you we dive
With Patriot guns, we soon arrive

Mange our de-mo-cracy

No bug or bot, shall be left alive
Teams of four, but not of five

Through you our hearts are Free

then it's the solo from Freebird, accompanied by gunshots and explosions

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 21, 2024

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the 50:50 armour only ever saves me when I've been sent flying by an explosion... and then I die on landing anyway

ah well

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHf93J0X0c

this series is always fun

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I got a 70+ killstreak with arc thrower and laser dog :science:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

Anyone else seeing a trend in arc/flamer mains going to 1v1 every charger they see?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

this vid was posted in the thread way way back but it's still relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmPElekhWrU

a look at light/heavy armour in the first game.

Heavy basically allowed you to shrug off small stuff pretty well, added a few hits to medium stuff, but didn't really make too much of a difference for the really strong stuff.

So while there's some differences- health regen and the downed state in 1, headshots in 2- if they are going for roughly the same design philosophy yeah I expect heavy armour will give you some wiggle room for glancing blows from big stuff and a lot more protection from chaff, but you won't ever really feel "safe". And Light armour will still be king in higher difficulties because mobility- and stealth- are so important.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

seems to be two 'hidden' strategems, at least for me. Where the number available to purchase is less than the total number it says is available

one in robotics workshop and one in orbital cannons

so maybe one of the other mech variants and....?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/g...574#enemy-types

A bestiary! hopefully this gets put in game. Done in the style of the first game's.

Brood Commander posted:

Directing its foul brethren with a mixture of pheromone-like spores and authoritarian shrieks, the bloodthirsty Brood Commander is a rare and deadly strain known for its undeniable hatred of the right to vote.

Also Stalkers were created by genesplicing experiments and Spewers were created by 'unavoidable' toxic chemical spills on Terminid farms.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

theysayheygreg posted:

WHY ARE THERE BUG FARMS, WHOSE FARMS ARE THEY?!

terminids deocmpose into space ship fuel when they die. It's why the war started against them in the first game, and then they were farmed in the century between games but have now escaped.

the fuel is E-710

now :wom: it

oil-3

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

holy poo poo flamethrower is sheer trash

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

The flamethrower works great on any bugs other than hunters and pouncers (and to some extent, ranged spewers). You have to clear those out first so that they don't jump through the flames and kill you, either with your primary weapon or cluster bombs. All the armored-up bugs that cluster bombs tend to leave behind like hive guards and such? Those all (1) take forever to kill with primary weapons because they soak up so much damage, and (2) typically advanced slowly towards the player. The flamethrower is great at frying all of those with a single reload because you can torch a whole pack at once, while something like the arc thrower would take you minutes to work through a big pack of targets.

If you try to run around using it as a primary weapon like you could with an arc thrower it'll suck though, you can't torch fast poo poo.

what arc can chew through whole armies of hive guards and brood commanders like nothing, and from way further away, completely safe forever and ever, takes no time at all

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDVfekQWnsU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

that's still super lame though. if anything destroying nests/outposts should increase the strength or frequency of reinforcements that patrols can summon if the devs want to keep some balancing factor

destroying bases is pretty inconsequential. it only starts after destroying half of them, and maxes out at like, 17%.

Finishing primary objective is a 150% boost in comparison.

Sindai posted:

Yeah that's the only one you really feel. I actually kind of wish they'd change it because the vast majority of people aren't aware of why their poo poo suddenly gets rocked hard and they lose all their samples when they try to take out one last nest/base on the way to extracting.

The intuitive way for it to work would be the increase happening during extraction itself.

explaining it in-game sure, but it's a tradeoff: completing the objective is the actual mission complete, extraction is optional (though players want their samples).

So if you rush the objective, great you win, but clearing the map is now harder.

If you delay the objective, clearing the map is easier, but you run the risk of wiping and not even getting mission complete.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

hey mom its 420 posted:

hell yeah time to zap some bugs

I'm gonna branch out a bit, try something new

gonna zap some bots

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

ive used it with bugs and it was trash. No close quarter combat, small amount of ammo.

Maybe it's better with robots.

it can smash groups of infantry as they come out of a drop ship like a bargain bin grenade launcher. at distance it does work against berserker packs. it smashes scout striders

no cqc is less of an issue, though you will still want something for when berserkers or maybe jetpacks get in your face. I dunno how it fares against devastators

so probably a bit better against bots than bugs overall

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Sonel posted:

Is Troost unavailable for anyone else? I had this same issue with an order last week with a bug mission where the planet it chose was at 0% liberated and unavailable. The only planet I can select in that sector is Vandalon IV.

the planets are connected by invisible 'supply lines' that are sometimes not intuitive, which dictates what new planets get unlocked once something is liberated

the major orders have placed targets that are not currently available- we have to liberate other planets first to reach them. So even though this order's target is Troost, we need Vandalon (and actually needed to take Ustotu as well)

If you're not sure, just look at the number of players and go with that.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the splaser has returned

:hellyeah:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccNelGBVSb4

sea fart

not even once

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

not quite 9 hours to fully take Tibit to complete the order, and the americas are gonna be going to sleep. probably not happening but that's ok. Though the creek is less than 15% away from being liberated so that's exciting

Dandywalken posted:

lol apparently dramas afoot over the MO failing?

people get mad that other people are doing their own thing instead of doing the MO. So people fighting bugs instead of bots, sticking to the creek instead of going for target planets, not doing the optimal defense strategies, blah blah.

too many people to have any sort of real coordination, but people look at the numbers and see that a quarter of the people fighting bots are doing it at the Creek instead of Tibit and get made at the wasted effort.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've never used the railgun because I got the game post nerf and it just doesn't seem as useful as the AC or the Quasar.

As for the Senator, I love that as a sidearm against bots. I don't like the machine pistol as it goes through ammo too fast.

hold reload button to bring up a menu that allows you to alter the gun- this can be sights, firing modes like rpm or auto/semi-auto.

turn the machine pistol to semi-auto, now it will fire one shot per trigger pull. Makes it much more ammo efficient at the cost of more rsi

also useful for the liberator (put it into 3-round bursts). mandatory for the railgun to put it into unsafe mode.

there's a setting so it remembers the modes you've set forever, so you don't have to keep fiddling, except for railgun which you have to put into unsafe with every new one

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

definitely misread it as

quote:

Slugger: reduced slugger

pretty good changes all around! bunch of buffs to stuff that needed it including armour, bunch of nice sounding fixes like to the rockets or terrain deformation under objectives, some good nerfs like the bile spewers.

nerf to arc thrower range is fair enough but more stagger power to keep things in the kill zone is nice. The range was too high for how aimless and powerful it was. The fire rate change though... I think that's a buff? The rof once charged was about once a second anyway, so this maybe is removing the first shot charge up? and yeah I used it a bunch and found there were many times where it just kind of randomly decided it needed to charge fully instead of keeping the reduced charge time, so hopefully this fixes that.

bile titans being immune to stuns is fair enough too. Trivializing the bug's capstone unit was bit over the line

not sure about blizzards and sandstorms. "lol you can't see poo poo" isn't a super fun mechanic so hopefully there's more to them.

Always intrigued how that weekly war report guy will present these diegetically

e; although more devestators is not something we need

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 2, 2024

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Sindai posted:

It is definitely not. You have to charge it to around 90% for it to fire every time. My muscle memory was all hosed up bad.

On the bright side that's still fast enough to chain-stagger 3 berserkers or devastators to death. They can't do anything once you're in range.

hmmm, I see what you mean trying it out myself. It's noticeable but not too egregious. As long as they actually fixed 'refuses to fire w/o a full charge' issue then it's fine, we'll relearn.

the actual main thing is it maybe doesn't blast open doors anymore??? or maybe the one I found was bugged but

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Lobok posted:

Is there a setting for numerical ammo counts that I've never seen?

Can you reload? No = you have 6 or more loaded. Eventually you learn what 6 looks like

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Major order is to eliminate all robots

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

bah, of course the light armour w/ explosive resist comes back right when the next warbond is just around the corner and buying it would put me below 1k super credits

Back Hack posted:

Rewatched, reviewed, and concluded. It only detonate mid-air if the target is airborne, everything else requires direct impact. So again it's an AA rocket launcher.

Video of leaked weapon:

that video doesn't show them ever having a near miss on a ground target. cannot conclude that direct hits are required if they never show what happens if you don't direct hit (or hit the ground)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Back Hack posted:

The one where he hits the tower behind the robot?

???????

that detection tower is waaaay off in the distance bro

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Back Hack posted:

I'm dropping this after this post, because this argument we're having here is kind of pointless...however, in this frame, you can clearly see, he hit the tower.

https://imgur.com/SWQRDCr

There. I'm done. Take it or leave it, it doesn't matter. We'll probably be getting the weapon soon enough and we'll probably be both wrong, where it turns out it's remote-detonated by hold down the trigger or something.

the people who have actually played with it, in the comments, said its proximity detonation and you can kill ground stuff by shooting it over their heads. I don't know what to tell you other than you are wrong and stubborn

and it does not hit the tower, it flew over their heads and detonated. The tower is way in the distance

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

I meant there wasn't enough time to finish the objective. We only had a couple of reinforcements left and still needed 3 or so bug holes. He called it in and extracted while we were like 100m away and beelining for the extract.

not possible.

If you hadn't completed the main objective, then it is not possible to call in extraction

except if time runs out, which means you failed and you get a one time 'be here or get hosed' last chance.

Your teammate did not do anything. You did not pay attention to the time, and got left behind by the game itself.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

johnny park posted:

Do the AT-ATs have a weak point, or do you just kill them with overwhelming firepower?

from reddit, but translated off of notes from the chinese community

so can blast the head, or blast off back armour to expose a weaker point

when it creates devastators, that opens a weakpoint similar to how factory buildings work

can shoot of weapons and damage legs

or just go for overwhelming fire power with 500kgs or apparently eagle 110 rockets

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I just got gone in 360 and the no deaths on extreme cheevos too.

Basically was a bunch of bases clustered near the extract, so I dropped a walking barrage on the extract base, an orbital laser on a heavy base, an eagle on a mortar base and a second eagle on a random light all in about a minute. Randoms were finishing off clearing the extract point, we triggered it and zoop.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 7, 2024

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

New order already popped!

day and a half to get three planets. Even with the momentum that seems a stretch (especially because players are likely to split apart)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I like that EATs, Quasar and Recoilless seem in a pretty good place compared to each other- they all do the same job (kill big poo poo easy) but have different trade offs for uptime, rate of fire and lack of backpack for RR. And thus it becomes personal preference without having a clear best! Very good.

Quasar can still kill Bile Titans with one headshot for whoever was wondering, but it can be finicky.

I tried the Dominator for the first time, against bugs. It very much seems like you want to use it against slightly bigger stuff like the Brood Commanders and Hive Guard where its lack of handling isn't as big a deal, and you can punch through their armour. 3-4 headshots kills a hive guard which is very nice. But then you'll want the guard dog for the little stuff for sure.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

does anyone else have their stratagem thing say 7/8 for the bottom one with the patriot exosuit, i've had that show ever since i unlocked it.

yeah, the categories that eventually got the HMG and quasar were also missing one until they got released too

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tommy the Newt posted:

I have actually thought of a game that's done this before that I've played, Elite: Dangerous. It's just Elite's development and handling of live service was not well received and everyone just wanted to go off and live their own space life most of the time. There have been many occasions where they said "complete this community goal to unlock X/Y/Z new tool/module" it was mostly met with scepticism. People just went "meh, you've already made the content so making us jump through hoops for it seems contrived".

To give arrowhead credit, they do seem to have captured lightning in a bottle somehow and there's a huge amount of goodwill for their game and model that I've not seen before. I can imagine Frontier running their current "destroy the thargoids" community event looking over at HD2 going "wtf".

Some of that maybe is the difference in how the players interact with the world?

Like in E:D everyone is operating as individual mercenary/contractors for much larger systems, with largely individual or even competing goals, and the vibe is more like 'live your space life'. So a community goal is kind of like, "ennnh naw I got 50 tons of space rock to haul". But in Helldivers everyone is on the same side and are framed as soldiers in an army, so a request of "fight on this planet for a while to win the war' is embraced.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 8, 2024

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

anyone spot those invisible ships over bug planets, or was that a bot planet thing only?

I saw them shooting red lasers that looked like bot weaponry at super destroyers, which were shooting yellow lasers back, so I'm fair convinced they are bot ships

but only blue beam I've seen that I can't think of any explanation for was the ones at 5:05 in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSl7LOkPN4

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

planet Penta is the Blood Dragon to Malevelon's Far Cry 3 and is so cool

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

FunkyFjord posted:

Speaking of Penta, someone mentioned that that was the Blood Dragon to Malevelon Creek's Far Cry and, uh, that planet is just rust colored plants all around? The blandest creek yet.

Maybe it was a time of day thing but for me the gas giant was lighting everything up a deep gorgeous orange-red with incredible vibes

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

eradicator hits like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Black Noise posted:

I wanted GINYU but that is five.

democracy officer fills in