Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tom Tucker posted:

People who don’t clear the map confuse me. I’m here to kill bugs not hide from them. The game is at its most fun when poo poo hits the fan and you have to stand your ground and annihilate wave after wave of enemies which you get when you seek out trouble and shoot patrols you could sneak past.

Yes it’s more optimal to do the objectives of you’re trying to get exp or rec slips or something but otherwise just play the game I say.

Sometimes you only have x many minutes to play a quick round? The difference in clearing the map vs just main objectives can be like 20 minutes difference on some maps/mission types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

seeing my session being the one that ticks the liberation meter to 100 percent is a special kinda tingle

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

So it is possibly the other peoples fault but I'm pretty sure that's already my most teamkilly weapon having only unlocked it the other day, it just loves pelting the enemies people are engaging with shotguns the most it seems and I feel bad using it.

This is the first team game I've played with pubbies in a couple years and it is interesting seeing the psychology at work, you can see why some people have trouble with games sometimes. Most of my interactions have been positive or neutral (nobody talking, just doing the mission with no upsets or surprises) but then you get that minority who don't seem to understand anything at all, fighting endlessly over an already destroyed and finished objective like a base, dying multiple times instead of just moving away, finishing the main objective and then heading over to do a previously hidden sub objective in the north when the extraction is in the south and there's a minute left with no reinforcements and they're carrying all the samples.

1. probably dont bring the mortar for bugs. it automatically shoots the nearest enemy and with bugs, that will be the group that is currently in sword-fighting range of your teammates, which will then get shredded by mortar fire. Mortars work a lot better with bots

2. ALWAYS call out your mortar when you throw it. If your teammates are aware that death will be arriving through the air shortly, they may actually make an attempt to not get pasted

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

UH OHHHHHH

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. Hopefully people finally leave that dumb meme planet

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’m going to guerrilla liberate Tibit out of spite.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Man, I'd love to keep playing more of this game that requires you to do multiple missions in a set of missions if it didn't keep loving crashing randomly every so often.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say GIVE PEACE A CHANCE

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, wtf I spawned in and picked up some grenade launcher laying on the ground, one guy says on voice chat "Dude did you just take my grenade launcher?" I tried typing out that I don't know how to drop weapon but he (the host) left before I could respond. WTF guy, the game even says to pick up dropped weapons if you need to keep fighting.

People can get touchy because it's a seven minute cool down or whatever to call in the next one. X is the drop wheel. I will grab stuff in a pinch and drop it when the owner shows back up, usually works out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man, the resupply values for the machine gun are so bad. It's probably my favorite weapon, but it's absolutely absurd to try and keep bullets in the thing when an ammo box only gives you 1 magazine.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Found out that the quasar cannon can close bug holes. If I get the stun grenades can they also close bug holes or should I bring something else along that can?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stun cannot

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Fangz posted:

I absolutely hate the mortar and will destroy it. It's just not worth it. Even vs bots. It might be okay if you are completely in control of the situation, but the moment you find yourself in a running battle, when you are trying to push to an objective, when you are trying to reclaim gear or samples, it will kill you over and over and over.

Bring the AC sentry. Or the EMS. It's far far better.

Or both, even! And a laserdog for good measure. Build a robot army of democracy! Surely the robot faction won't find a way to turn that against us.

[edit] Going back to destroyer name chat, I started as the SES Spear of Benevolence, because I liked the irony of it, but now I'm a convert to SES Elected Representative of Self-Determination, both because of the length, as well as the fact that that combination of words is incredibly silly. [/edit]

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 1, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Video Nasty posted:

Found out that the quasar cannon can close bug holes. If I get the stun grenades can they also close bug holes or should I bring something else along that can?

Closes bug holes, blows up factories, knocks down drop ships.

I'm legit concerned they will decide they overtuned it and reel it back in because right now it's super fun and frees up a backback slot from my usual of either AC or Greedy Grenades.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Mortar is absolutely incredibly on bot eradication missions, though. Did a difficulty 7 eradication with a group, we all brought regular and ECS mortars to boost them (plus strats for taking out heavy armor), we won the mission without a single death and without firing a shot super quickly.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How do you scroll right on this hold R menu on keyboard and mouse? Scrolling the mouse wheel just goes up and down, arrow keys do nothing.

In general, is it better to play this game on keyboard and mouse or gamepad?

Also, wtf I spawned in and picked up some grenade launcher laying on the ground, one guy says on voice chat "Dude did you just take my grenade launcher?" I tried typing out that I don't know how to drop weapon but he (the host) left before I could respond. WTF guy, the game even says to pick up dropped weapons if you need to keep fighting.

Right mouse button. Frustrated the poo poo out of me too until I button mashed my way to success.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Owlbear Camus posted:

Closes bug holes, blows up factories, knocks down drop ships.

I'm legit concerned they will decide they overtuned it and reel it back in because right now it's super fun and frees up a backback slot from my usual of either AC or Greedy Grenades.

Also found that shooting a dropship is worth while even when it releases the troops, it falls on them and kills them!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I was playing with some Chinese pubbies the other day and they seemed to have endless grenades?
I don't think they were re-supplying, I swear they were throwing like 10 in a row.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Theres a bug/exploit that rolls you over to -1 grenades if you do it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

They could revert the railgun back to its original form and it wouldn't have crazy usage or people screaming about how OP it is now that we have real alternatives and there aren't five chargers around every corner.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tom Tucker posted:

People who don’t clear the map confuse me. I’m here to kill bugs not hide from them. The game is at its most fun when poo poo hits the fan and you have to stand your ground and annihilate wave after wave of enemies which you get when you seek out trouble and shoot patrols you could sneak past.

Yes it’s more optimal to do the objectives of you’re trying to get exp or rec slips or something but otherwise just play the game I say.

Sure but in the time it takes to go wander off and kill that last large outpost on the other side of the map from extract, you can just complete the current mission and start a new one, killing even more bugs

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Darox posted:

They could revert the railgun back to its original form and it wouldn't have crazy usage or people screaming about how OP it is now that we have real alternatives and there aren't five chargers around every corner.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Darox posted:

It's crazy that they haven't after a dev called it a "crutch" and then they admitted that players were right, there actually were and insane amount of chargers running around.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

threelemmings posted:

It's fun to clear everything on the way to and from any objectives. I'm not adding ten minutes for backtracking to the rear end end of the map for one spawner. I do try to drop in ways that let you just loop and naturally sweep the map.

This is how I play, I've been doing a lot of bots on helldiver difficulty recently and honestly, taking as many fabs etc as you can on the way around really makes the extract so much easier.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
it's going to be funny when the order to liberate the creek is releavled to be an april fools joke and all the progress gets reset at midnight

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can the Quasar Cannon do a mid-charge shot like the Arc Thrower or does it only fire upon being fully charged?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Gotta charge it all the way. It fires automatically once it's charged.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The other day we landed right on top of a bot patrol. And also right next to a random hellbomb, which we found out when it went off about five seconds into the ensuing firefight.

For some reason I was left untouched by the explosion, but as I was gloating about this fact, I managed to get chunked by the hellpod containing my machinegun I'd just called in.

I loving love this stupid game so much.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Janissary Hop posted:

It's crazy that they haven't after a dev called it a "crutch" and then they admitted that players were right, there actually were and insane amount of chargers running around.

The charger/titan spawn craze and the railgun nerf happened at the same time. It was beautiful.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

This is how I play, I've been doing a lot of bots on helldiver difficulty recently and honestly, taking as many fabs etc as you can on the way around really makes the extract so much easier.

For sure, if playing with friends, we normally just pick if we will go clockwise or counterclockwise around the map in general, but mostly make lines to the main objectives, sidetracking to kill outposts or do secondaries along the way.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've never used the railgun because I got the game post nerf and it just doesn't seem as useful as the AC or the Quasar.

As for the Senator, I love that as a sidearm against bots. I don't like the machine pistol as it goes through ammo too fast.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've never used the railgun because I got the game post nerf and it just doesn't seem as useful as the AC or the Quasar.

As for the Senator, I love that as a sidearm against bots. I don't like the machine pistol as it goes through ammo too fast.

If the current railgun was a primary weapon it wouldn't even be in the top three of primaries, let alone the support weapons. I don't think I've seen literally one person use it in weeks. It's in a place where it's simultaneously far too slow to use against light/medium enemies well and doesn't do enough damage against heavies. As you say, the AC works almost as well as the railgun against heavies and is much better against light/mediums, and the Quasar does the job against heavies much better than the Railgun

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 1, 2024

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

hold reload button to bring up a menu that allows you to alter the gun- this can be sights, firing modes like rpm or auto/semi-auto.

turn the machine pistol to semi-auto, now it will fire one shot per trigger pull. Makes it much more ammo efficient at the cost of more rsi

also useful for the liberator (put it into 3-round bursts). mandatory for the railgun to put it into unsafe mode.

there's a setting so it remembers the modes you've set forever, so you don't have to keep fiddling, except for railgun which you have to put into unsafe with every new one

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Well poo poo, 50 hours in I think and I didn't know that..I'll have to check it out.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: BTW can you just go prone from standing or do you have to dive each time? Sometimes I like taking a knee on top of a raised structure to stabilize my weapon aim and avoid getting swarmed, but if I try to dive instead there's a good chance I'll (hilariously) flop right off of my encampment.

On the off chance this wasnt answered you can hit "Z" on pc to go prone without diving

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it always when I want to solo I instantly get a full team of console plebs and when I put down a SOS nobody comes?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

The charger/titan spawn craze and the railgun nerf happened at the same time. It was beautiful.

It wasn't at the same time. Railgun nerf was March 6, 2024 with patch 01.000.100, followed by the heavily armored terminid nerf on March 12, 2024 with patch 1.000.102

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

haddedam posted:

Why is it always when I want to solo I instantly get a full team of console plebs and when I put down a SOS nobody comes?

It sounds like you haven't turned off crossplay OP. In fact, when I consider my smooth solo experience vs people complaining about "toxic" players in this thread, I wonder if it's because I've always had crossplay off.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it's going to be funny when the order to liberate the creek is releavled to be an april fools joke and all the progress gets reset at midnight

Even funnier if it's real, but the bots go full exterminatus and destroy the planet once it's liberated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What is this treasonous talk? Creek and Tibit will be liberated today, and the Automatons will be relegated to two periphery worlds that will swiftly fall. We'll back on Super Earth for the victory march this Tuesday evening.