Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
SES Prophet of Opportunity signing in, dispensing space capitalism one brainwashed teenager at a time. :patriot:

Any tips for engaging Hulks in the relatively earlygame? Apart from the big heat vents on their backs, I'm guessing I should be going for their heads and shoulder joints with the EAT and anti-materiel rifle when I don't have big orbital boom available.

Also, if anyone has any good tips for how to evacuate essential personnel at higher difficulty levels when facing automata, that would be nice. The campaign is telling me I should be prioritising defence operations ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of, is there ever a reason to use the third-person aiming mode rather than iron sights? It seems massively less accurate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What kind of firepower do you need to explode an automaton factory without having to run up and chuck a grenade into it? I know some orbital/airstrike stratagems can do it, but I haven't yet found one that will scratch 'em.

Being able to pop one of those things from a safe distance would be neat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As someone who's learning the game through the bot front, vehicles would just make me paranoid about tripping every alarm within a square kilometre as soon as I fire up the engine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I don't think I've figured out the art to the 120mm orbital barrage - it feels like it has an unfortunate combination of extreme inaccuracy and narrow blast radii for the projectiles that mean dropping it on stuff won't actually do anything most of the time. Is there a trick to it, or is it just bad?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

You uh.. realize you can shoot tanks in the weak spots with the railgun, too?
Getting behind things works with any gun, magically enough.
The AC does win out on how QUICKLY it can dump 3 shots in there but saying the railgun cant do this (or just shoot them anywhere for a kill) is kind of silly.

I encountered a tank on Extreme difficulty that had armour where the heat vent on the back of the turret would normally be. That was a nasty surprise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, the Defender SMG seems really good. Near as I can tell, it's just a Liberator assault rifle with better handling while moving and a slightly faster reload.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Difficulty 4 isn't that bad for beginners. You probably won't be able to solo it, but you have the tools to usefully contribute against everything the game's likely to throw at you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do feel like working your way up through the difficulties on solo is good practice, at least. It gives you a more intimate understanding of the enemies, the mission design, and your own capabilities that gives you useful transferable skills for tackling harder content with friends or pubbies.

Also, returning to low difficulties and thoroughly exploring maps on your own is a good way to stock up on samples.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

johnny park posted:

Yeah the hellpods are even shaped like bullets lol. It's great symbolism

And the cryopods are set in a revolver cylinder.

I think one big, simple QOL thing they could do is do with the stratagems like they do with the primary weapons, and provide a note for which armour quality they're rated against. Knowing exactly what I need to dial in to pop a tank from the front would be very nice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've been easing my way into bug missions on Veld, and just gave the flamethrower its first test-run (not least because I had a personal mission to kill 100 enemies with one). It's definitely got a learning curve, but I think I learned to respect it as a reasonable alternative to a heavy machinegun that has powerful (if dangerous) anti-armour and area-denial capabilities. Be interesting to see how high I can go up the difficulties with it as my main support weapon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, in light of the battle for Veld, what are the particularly good anti-bug stratagems, particularly at mid and low tiers? I've been having decent luck with my old friends the Eagle airstrike and gatling turret, the minefield has had its uses, and (as mentioned) the flamethrower seems a pretty solid support weapon, but I'm open to experimentation and expanding my arsenal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hbag posted:

oh i just unlocked the gatling sentry because the machine gun sentry's been real useful defending the extraction point. will it just mow down my own guys if i put one at the extract

Yes, but only in the same way the MG sentry will. It's the bigger, meaner brother, with all that entails. My gatling sentries have generally been good, helpful friends that shred the enemies of Super Earth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing worth noting about the standard Eagle airstrike is that it can close Terminid nest entrances just like it can destroy automaton factories. A good pick if you want to approach a nest a little more safely.

Makes me wonder if the 380mm orbital strike will be useful for deleting enemy strongholds at higher difficulties.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tentatively excited to eventually save up enough cash for the RR. An EAT minus the E sounds pretty fun, especially for more reliably killing Chargers and Hulks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fishstick posted:

How would cheaters having an easier time in their games affect global objectives in a negative way for other players?

By throwing off the dev team's telemetry and making them underestimate how difficult a time the average pub is is having.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's amusing that the bug planet we're working to liberate is so similar in weather and geography to Malevelon Creek.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd like to see the Liberator get a buff to make it a stronger and more distinct alternative to the SMGs (especially the Defender, which seems to just be a more user-friendly Liberator).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I heard that the lore for the first game was that the cyborgs were implicated in an extremely blatant false flag attack and the bugs can be rendered into oil, is that still the case with 2?

Half true. The cyborgs have been replaced by their creations, the Automatons, who are waging a war of liberation against Super Earth to free their parent species from SEAF labour camps.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've noticed that bug difficulty 4+ has bile titans as assassination targets. Just so I'm prepped for when I have to do that, what's the best approach for low/mid-tier players to kill those things? Use EATs to blow holes in their armour and then pour small arms fire in like you would with a Charger? Are they slow enough for orbital/airstrikes to reliably hit them, and if so, which offensive stratagems will get through their armour?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Headshots with heavy explosives

So, an EAT/recoilless rifle to the face, huh?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hbag posted:

well i got a marksman rifle but so far this game seems like something i want a high rate of fire for, not to be sat in the distance picking enemies off one by one

You fighting bugs or bots? The latter make you really appreciate long-ranged weaponry.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tip for new divers - try to grab an autocannon as soon as you can. The handling sucks, so you'll want to crouch down for decent accuracy, and the blast radius is large enough that using it against enemies in melee range is suicide, but everything else is fantastic. It'll contribute solidly against every enemy type in the game, can destroy both bot and bug spawning buildings, the ammo per magazine is generous, the reload isn't even that slow when you're self-loading, and the backpack contains an obscene amount of extra ammo. It's just a really nice all-rounder support weapon to deal with anything your primary won't mow down.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

I have picked up a flamethrower a couple times and it seems pretty bad, anything close enough to hit with it is probably running at you and will set you on fire too :supaburn:

The name of the game is area-denial. You walk backwards or sideways while creating a sea of fire for your enemies to drown themselves in. It can wipe out waves of charging bugs more efficiently than any other weapon I've yet tried - and yes, I do have a Breaker.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've bought the recoilless rifle, and should probably give it a test run on a bug mission. It presumably has better armour penetration than the autocannon, which should be useful so I don't need to worry so much about targeting specific weak spots on highly mobile enemies (or about scrambling around the area to pick up my second EAT after firing the first one).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It may not be the most efficient way to kill them, but watching a scout strider's cockpit armour plate crumple under sustained AMR/HMG fire is very satisfying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Apart from the Eagle Airstrike, what are the most efficient 'chuck this at a bot factory and watch the factory vanish' stratagems, if I don't want to get close enough at the proper angle to grenade/autocannon the weak points? Been playing a few Blitz missions and want to know how to improve my efficiency.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fishstick posted:

With AC you can just aim for the metal "flap" above each grenade-dunk-hole of the bot factory, the shot will ricochet into the factory. You don't even have to get at a specific angle, if you can see the port and the flap you can delete the factory.

Huh, I've tried this often, and didn't get a ricochet. Just a useless explosion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And for bug hole closures? I know autocannons have a much easier time against those, but it'd still be nice to know what other tools I have to close nests fast without running low on cannon/grenade ammo or having to risk my precious, shiny armour.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Will an unsafe railgun penetrate every kind of armour, or are there certain enemies where you still absolutely, definitely need to go for the weak points?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Being the sole autocannon guy on a high-level team is fun. You're their troubleshooter in the most literal sense, hanging back and annihilating anything and everything remotely problematic that you run into. Knocking down Scout Striders like skittles or dismantling Berserkers and Devastators never gets old, and for anything heavier, you can just sneak around and dump high explosives wherever they don't want 'em to be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One way to think of a 380 barrage is as area denial. You may not destroy the base/formation you're dropping it on, but you'll certainly make 'em keep their heads down for a good long while. It's kind of like a napalm strike rated against heavy armour in that way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the red 'don't stand too close to this' beam is almost certainly intentional for minefield drops. Because, well, standing too close to them is a very bad idea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dinosaurs! posted:

Is this a thing? I’ve never noticed any kind of mechanic where enemies alter their behavior while under bombardment. I know bugs just keep charging right at you and I feel like bots still shoot at the same volume.

It's a thing in the crudest sense - the explosions will knock 'em around just like they would for you. Sustained orbital bombardment is quite an obstacle to navigate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I have awoken to the flamethrower against bugs. Running Punisher / Standard Frags / Eagle Airstrike / Eagle 500kg / Flamethrower / Shield Generator Pack with medium medic armor against them atm, might switch out Airstrike for the Patriot after the free one goes away. Playing on diff 7, and the flamethrower toasts chargers and spewers and versus swarms of small bugs you can lean on your shield to take advantage of the flamethrower's DPS but lack of stagger. Plus, the medic armor gives you a couple extra stims for when you inevitably set yourself on fire :v:

Now if only I could find a bot build I really liked.

Autocannon, Eagle Airstrike, mortar turret, and 380mm barrage is pretty deece. Swap out the 380mm for whatever other strike/fortification is your favourite.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vanguard Warden posted:

Pretty sure the machine gun also doesn't let me move while reloading, and that doesn't have a backpack.

True, the HMG does have a stationary reload. I've reloaded the flamethrower on the move plenty of times before, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

for bugs the autocannon turret is my go to in lieu of the mortar. when a breach starts, huck it a good distance away with a good LOS to the breach and it will light them up. its shots stagger and kill chargers unlike the normal AC.

Well, yeah, but I was specifically talking about an anti-bot loadout.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume the orbital railgun will be a good companion to my Eagle once I buy it, and will round out my high-level offensive loadout.

Any tips on how to get the most out of the arc thrower? How should I be using it, and what should I be using it on? Just want to be prepared if I ever have a need to kill stuff with one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How does it interact with armour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder when they'll introduce the gatling cannon/ammo backpack support package? I feel like it's been extremely heavily foreshadowed as a future part of our arsenal.