Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Raspberry Bang posted:

Is Helldivers 2 going to include clans? I would love to join a goon one for ps5

I thought that Arrowhead mentioned that there's crossplay, so there's no need to keep things isolated?

https://www.pcgamer.com/helldivers-2-confirms-crossplay-and-pleasingly-modest-system-requirements/

At which point you could just join the protocommunity in the discord listed above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv3jCBl9EyQ

https://gloryforsuperearth.com/

Streamer campaign announced, go watch 'em die for Democracy until the Twitch drop activates so you can go to the main website and claim an armor skin:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 8, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Qmass posted:

no pre-release reviews?

It's weird because a bunch of people have definitely played the game, but it feels like none of the usual suspects made a big high-profile video about it.

TescoBag posted:

Another video with gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ZluDbK8ZA

31 minutes of it!

"The thing about hell divers is that you are always outnumbered but your firepower is very bastard"

For instance, this is a mostly full video, but it's been done by Atomix.vg, a Latin American gaming website.

A guy from IGN did a review: https://www.ign.com/articles/helldivers-2-the-final-preview where he says that he very much enjoyed the game, but felt like he'd seen most of the content in only a few hours. Not sure how much of that was just what he was allowed to see though.

EDIT: And one from GameSpot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4c_Wu7u6I which said mostly the same thing, although was more optimistic about its future generally.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 8, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Game is good, the default Warbond is full of stuff so not even feeling like I'm missing out from not buying the Super Citizen upgrade and if properly set up your squad can get up to some silly shenanigans. Went from dying on a bug in the tutorial to at least moderately competent on Easy... the 2nd of 9 difficulties. I expect starting Medium and up I'll need to team, and I've already heard people saying that Challenging (the 4th difficulty setting) is indeed challenging.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Mentioned this in the discord (https://discord.gg/345gUjbsqw), but my most enjoyable moment on day 1 was a Challenging mission where nobody realized that the timer was about to run out, so I had to go running into the middle of a set of bug nests, action movie hero style, and grenade 4-6 of them so we could book it towards the evac point and only have to face a small amount of time in the zero-stratagems zone. In that moment, I felt as cool as the game hypes you up to be, for once.

Looking forward to getting destroyed on Hard and up over the weekend.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Oh, speaking of Hard.

Decided to do a mission this morning before I leave for work, and it definitely feels like a difficulty spike up from Challenging, but it's still doable with a competent-enough team, even with minimal coordination. But this just reinforces the idea that by the time you make it to the final difficulty tier (Suicide Mission and up), you're gonna want to be organized, or else you're bug chow.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 9, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

A couple of us in Discord made it all the way up to Impossible tonight, and that was including a full operation on Extreme against the bots! ...might have been scarier than the Suicide Mission runs against bugs, tbh. Was greatly surprised at how much you can still get away with while still having the missions being a chaotic mess, even once you enter the hard tiers, but we wiped on the 2nd mission of the Impossible operation so that might be the limit just because there's so many enemies.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Tested farming for mats on Trivial for the last hour and a half (running around and grabbing samples from/cracking open chests at most of the easily accessible minor points of interest, then beating the mission and getting out), and discovered that while it is kinda boring, it is a moderately effective way to farm common samples as well as a less effective way to passively accumulate smaller amounts of everything else in the game except the higher tier samples (but including super credits).

Don't recommend it unless you just need something to do for a little bit before bed or else you find yourself falling really far behind on common samples for ship modules, but the option's there.

EDIT: Also, even going up to Easy makes this vastly more inefficient. It's Triv or bust. Honestly, unless you have a really good group going, this may just be the fastest way to farm super credits.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 10, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Democracy triumphs, Helldivers!

Heeth's been liberated (or well, close enough), so while the Major Order isn't over and Angel's Venture still needs to be wrapped up, there's two new planets available in the Umlaut Sector if you want to mess around on different maps. Fenrir III is some kind of rocky moon and Erata Prime's a desert planet. Nice to get a change of scenery at least.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 11, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

:911:

Expendable Anti-Tank also works on bot ships if you can't convince a buddy to help you reload and want to crash dropships on pubs minimize bot drops. Make sure to aim for as dead center of one of the four engines as possible (the body of the engine, not the exhaust port).

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Hell yeah! Was the last man standing and lived just long enough to pull a lever and die, finishing the mission objective. Now I can finally join the cool kids club (meaning one blitz mission just to say I did a mission on Helldive and then try fruitlessly to join/build a longterm group).

Over the course of these missions, I also discovered that if the Pelican is trapped in a small, enclosed extract point and it gets caught in an orbital with a duration, it can't land. It will reach an invisible landing point in the air and then bounce back up a little, until the orbital times out.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

victrix posted:

where the gently caress are ultra rare samples? we've done multiple helldive operations now and found zero, and this is after completing the primary then dicking around on the map doing secondaries

Yeah, unfortunately it's just bad sample luck. Something that I've found from playing a bunch on higher difficulty is that the Super samples seem to be grouped up pretty close to one another, so you either find nothing or all 6 at once.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

CuddleCryptid posted:

The "picking one of 10,000 Helldivers out of cryo" load in screen implies every ship has a ton of divers on it but functionally it's funny how every single diver seems to get their own ship. When one goes in and immediately gets mulched by friendly fire does the captain just throw his hat down and turn around to go home?
As we can see via having to do unlocks with requisition and samples, and the backstory about needing to farm E-710, Super-Earth has a lot more resource shortages than it does personnel shortages. My personal theory is that once you get enlisted into the Helldivers, you and a couple hundred/thousand people are assigned to one ship and are all considered by logistics to be the same person (kind of like a corporation) until everyone's tour is up and whoever's left returns to civilian life or every Helldiver on the ship is dead. This is also why only one person's out of cryo at a time, since it would cause a lot of problems if there were two of "you" running around.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 13, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I said come in! posted:

No come back, we need to play together because I am the same way.
^This.

Also, trip report with the JAR, aka the not-Bolter: It's okay, but not great. It can give a decent rate of fire if you keep manually tapping it, but you can't hold down the button for auto-fire. It feels like it sacrifices way too much for having the round explode on impact (but seemingly dealing no Explosive damage) and Medium Armor Penetration. Maybe if I take it up against the bots it'll feel better though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Ciaphas posted:

it's a shame that the frog has been boiled so hard that it's acceptable at all in a full-price game; but yeah at least it's not p2w garbage

i wonder if super earth is as much a capitalist hellhole as our decidedly-not-super-at-all earth

There's an ad on the TV where a rising stock market arrow is driven directly through the carapace of a Terminid as the announcer indicates that the best way to defeat them is through a strong economy and there's a transition screen quote telling you to show your love for capitalism by buying Warbonds.

The answer, as with everything else, is yes and played for all it's worth.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Been having a bad night for getting matches that don't fall apart instantaneously, but I did manage to complete a Trivial defense mission solo, so I can at least say I did something to help defend the citizens of Super Earth.

(Just ignore how I ended up killing so many that the mission was net-negative on Requisition.)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm half convinced this is supposed to be a plot point which makes it seem hopeless for the next two days and then things turn around.

The other half, though, is reminded of how hard bot missions are generally and thinks that maybe this is overtuned juuuust a little bit.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Horsebanger posted:

just a derail but lol at that av I remember when my enterprise got torpedoed off Guadalcanal, but we won anyway heh.

I'm enjoing the change in focus to the bots, even if I hate fighting them.

Goes down in so many games, alas.

Maybe if we name an Automaton Fleet Invasion Ship the Enterprise, it too will get torp'd.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Draupnir has fallen! Now it's an Automaton planet, albeit one with 50% liberation. Doesn't seem like it has any effects on the overall campaign yet though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Even with the fix, it's still really easy to cheese Horde mode by having everybody bring a bunch of mortar/rocket/autocannon turrets. If anything, the boost to difficulty that came with the patch just means that you finish faster since more bots spawn in.

Oh well, means there's an easy medal farm in between the other missions.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Diephoon posted:

This is the first game besides Spelunky where I get the feeling of dying to Rube Goldberg mechanics.

Here's a good clip from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1arpfoe/felt_like_a_rat_picked_up_by_an_eagle/
https://i.imgur.com/Tvlebgb.mp4

Yeah, the more time I spend around Dropships, the more looney tunes they start to feel. A couple of us got hit by them (and lived!) this morning while doing horde missions: getting up afterwards felt like the equivalent of dragging yourself out of a hole after having been flattened into a pancake.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 17, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

9/9 Helldives

Snuffman posted:

Weird question, but how much of what I'm seeing from the bridge of my destroyer (and by extension I suppose the fringes of the battlefield) is smoke and mirrors?

For the first time, I saw a destroyer explode in orbit and I found out later that this is what happens when the timer runs out on a mission (hence why no more strategems).

Am I seeing other player's destroyers in pseudo real time?
I'm pretty sure everything's fake except for the ships that show up specifically corresponding to your fellow squadmates, which hang out in orbit and in-mission do rain down their orbitals as appropriate.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Amazing Member posted:

neat video came up on my feed for a milsim kinda guy, apparently the CEO and someone else from his team played a few diff 6 with the camera rolling and dropped a few gold bits, namely stealth: enemy units can hear, see, and smell

i didnt know that call ins of any type attract attention (after your first), it really makes me consider all the cascade fails might be from call in after call in

super interesting stuff, i really wish they talked about how they do pathfinding, because im still seeing tons of chargers slip and slid themselves on to the tops of hills where they become stuck...so odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJs_kqHrzzQ&t=993s
Only moderately related to this, but...

Apparently some of the names of the Arrowhead staff (including the CEO) are in the pool for your officers.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I mean, I was just running solo queue to finish today's Personal Mission, but I'll take it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

And went back to go for the full 100%. Thanks to the party of goons who helped me out, and C. Harlow in particular who stuck around with me until the end.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

Notes/Rules:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

3) Desire for this gang tag was way higher than I expected. If your only post in this thread is asking for the gang tag I am probably not going to queue one for free, apologies. I queue these up but admins still have to sign off on em and we're apparently discouraged from handing them out like candy :v:

Tag me for Super Earth!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

3) SA backend crashes as 800,000 idiots queue up for gang tags

It turns out that all of the playerbase is on this very forum, and we did not know. When you complain about an idiot dropping a 500 right on your head, truly it was the poster right before you.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Fenrir III has been liberated! Move on to other barrier planets, Helldivers!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Mode 7 posted:

God there are a lot of you.

I'm working through requests in batches as I've got availability, both to spare my sanity and to not flood the modqueue.
Once the window closes I will also post instructions on how you can buy the gang tag for yourself if you missed out.

Mega apologies to both Droxis and FunkyFjord whose avatars I broke; old avatars require some manual code corrections when changing them, a fact I have now belatedly learnt but at least I shouldn't break anyone else's going forward. Corrections already queued up, you'll have your avs restored shortly.

The legions of democracy are endless.

(Thanks for putting up with us.)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Huh. Heeth's been hit with a 24 hour defense mission and there's a bunch of free rocket pods? Weird.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Honestly, 7 seems to be where most people congregrate now, as the level where Super samples are present, but the game doesn't dump a ton of Bile Titans/Hulks on you. So unfortunately a bad 7 won't really tell you whether or not you should be going up in difficulty or not.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Apple Craft posted:

Any field reports on the Arc-12 Blitzer or the Las-7 Dagger in the new warbond? I can't decide which to go for first, but the Punisher Plasma shotgun was a disappointment compared to the Sickle from the 1st page.

I have not personally tested out the Dagger, but all reports I have from people I know and trust say that it sucks: its DPS is just so terrible that if you had to actually rely on it to live, you'd be dead long before the infinite ammo aspect was ever relevant.

I have personally tried out the Arc-12 Blitzer and it's... a good enough shotgun. The arc-ing is nice, as is its capacity to harm things that are harmed by explosive damage, but it just does not have the staying power or armor penetration to last against most serious engagements long term. A single Hive Guard can stonewall you, for instance. Uh, bring it if you really hate Spewers with a fiery passion, but are also willing to go toe to toe with them, and have some other dedicated anti-medium armor support weapon?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Only strat I need is a 500, which I ride down onto a level 1 "Kill the Devastators" mission repeatedly to maximize freedom delivered to the planet per hour.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Definitely been having a rough night tonight. Shriekers aren't so bad themselves, but their nests are way tankier than you'd expect them to be based on the damage absorbing capacity of other Terminid hive structures. Even without them though, my missions on Fori Prime have felt like there's way too many bugs, almost pre-patch level spawning of Chargers.

But at this point, just going to chalk it up to having one bad play session. Looking forward to the narrative consequences of the war being ground to a halt in a day and a half.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

LazyMaybe posted:

post your fit

The helmet (and more rarely cape) sometimes change, but it's always something that complements the color scheme of the light armor that provides bonus stim packs and stim efficiency.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Should be F, same as normal melee.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

It's just gonna be one really big bug.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, apparently there are a bunch of high level figures that we know about (like the heads of the various Ministries or the President of Super Earth), but as far as I can tell they all seem to be in the same boat as the rest of humanity where they're either gung ho about spreading Managed Democracy to the stars or terrified of everyone else finding out that they aren't and so pretending that they are to stick with the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

What, you guys are back, ALREADY?

(The placement on the map also means that the Automatons have taken Cyberstan without a fight.)

EDIT:
:supaburn:

Jossar fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 9, 2024