Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Had someone do that to themselves for reasons I can't even begin to comprehend

https://i.imgur.com/CBYt5RM.mp4

Oh, I know exactly what happened there. That dude wanted to the whole "dropship takes off amid explosive backdrop" but they haven't adapted to the reduced call-down ship upgrade yet.

It's real stupid, and I've seen it more than a few times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Strong Sauce posted:

also is there anyway to see what the mission is if you join late? i'll join a game where all 3 other people are already on the ground but i don't know what the mission is so i just go with my default loadout.
Been trying to figure that one out as well. I suck at guessing the mission from loadouts.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Back to back to back now; bot mission, I'm carrying most of the samples, I'm trying to enter the pelican, I am suddenly blasted off the edge of the map and the other dudes extract with no samples.

I just wanted the regular samples.

I like fighting bots except for surprise rocket bullshit. I'll take 'pubbie with a mortar sentry for bugs' because at least I can yell at that guy.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I just a strategem to exfiltrate samples mid match. Drop me down a light payload single launch sample rocket.

Or let me cash out rares for regulars, I'm fuckin' drowning in them.

I'm getting a little bored slumming in tier 4 blitz drops just grabbing (regular) samples and saving pubbies.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Just exited my (level 21) first 7/Suicide game. I got a trio of identically armored level 50 dudes that joined me. I had a personal mission to kill 2 bile titans. I lost count around number 15. Mission timer ran out just as we hit exfil, and around the 60 second mark I'm the last guy standing with an active titan and no more EATs or GL ammo except for one Sickle pack, no stims, just a shield pack and stealth armor and a willingness to kite as hard as I can for the next minute. Dive between the legs of a titan to hit the pelican ramp with a charger on my heels, shoving aside lesser bugs like it's Black Friday at Walmart while grabbing all the dropped samples and making it back to space.

Then the game freezes.

I walk away to yell at things, and like 5 minutes later it actually loads into my ship.

Game is fun, game is hard, game is buggy.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Had one mission left in my chain of level 7s on Fori prime that I tried to complete last night twice but kept getting kicked during extraction. So I figured I'd bang my head against that wall over my lunch break.

Wound up soloing it, despite popping an SOS right at drop. Map was absolute bitch with a massive impassible plateau bisecting the deployment zone with only one pass in the far Northwest, while one sub objective is in the far Southeast, the primary on the other side of the plateau in the Northeast, and then extraction back in the Southeast. I got to extraction with 3 minutes left, and 0 deaths, then burned through all my clones trying to survive the extraction swarm for another 4 loving minutes but made it out with no samples and the lowest Req/XP I can remember seeing.

I unlocked Impossible, so I guess there's that. gently caress Fori prime, I hope we blow it up.

Sickle, contact grenades, shield pack, EAT, 500k, orbital laser. For the record.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Every operation on Hellmire has some kind of Stratagem time increase malus for me, and I'd rather lose an entire quadrant than deal with more of that bullshit. Scottish Highlands: The Planet doesn't aggravate me near as much.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Is there some kind of level farming trick I'm missing? Because over my lunch break now I did a mission and got 3 randos all at level 50 (I'm 23 presently) and I ended the match with 12 team kills because they would. not. stop. running into my gas strikes. And I'm not chucking them into close combat, I'm trying to plug terrain funnels and breaches and these Leroy motherfuckers just keep barreling straight into the still visible gas clouds to... I have no idea. They also refused to use any kind of comms, and I guess had me on mute and didn't speak English because warning them about gas didn't do any good.

Does it completely disappear if you turn particles all the way down or something? How do you get that far in the game and not understand the mechanics of gas strikes?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

They were definitely dying to the gas. I could see them enter the cloud, and their health bar start dropping, and I even just because it was so confusing ran in once myself and yep you get the coughing audio cue that you're dying from gas. I wish they at least yelled at me or something so I knew what the problem was. Or why charging into breaches point blank with shotguns was so important. Or running down the cliff from extract into the cloud to shoot closer. ... Maybe an extremely low render distance so they felt the need to get up close ALL the time, combined with utterly suicidal aggression?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Broken Record Talk posted:

Anyone else finding it incredibly difficult to find pugs that give a poo poo about sample collection? I’m pretty well stocked on everything but ship unlocks, and for the life of me I cannot find a game with pugs that doesn’t result in a maximum of like 5 samples and a ton of frustration. Any time I’ve focused on getting them, I inevitably either get killed at the outskirts of the map and can’t make it back to the pile in time, or get friendly-fired right as the shuttle is about to depart.
Like 80% of the time I'm the pug hunting samples. Scout armor and vitality enhancement and shield pack and and just dodging and not engaging with the enemy as much as possible makes it pretty easy. I'm consistently hitting the pelican with more than half of all the samples. I also make it a point to drop them near exfil and come back later on anything above 6 (lower than that, I just don't really die anymore unless I'm loving around trying things out)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I really wish this game had a way to save loadouts.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

dog nougat posted:

I mean it's 5 things to select before a mission, 9 if you count weapons and armor,
I mean, I change all those things on the regular depending on the planet, enemy, and mission type. For games I host it's not a problem, but for joining a group, I don't want to leave everyone waiting on me to go through all the menus picking my kit.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I hate when I forget to swap my grenades from contact to timed between bot and bug missions, and would love a quick way to remind myself, like a preset.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

ChaseSP posted:

Spear is a janky piece of poo poo from all my experience trying to use it against bugs, and the RR is generally enough to kill everything barring tanks in a single shot when talking about bots. I just use the later or an ac/railgun depending on mood.
Spear is a janky piece of poo poo on bots as well. I've been trying to make it work all weekend and I'm done with it.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Turrets are the prime target of the Spear. It can kill them from across the map regardless of whether or not you can see the vents.
I literally can't get it to lock on turrets. Or any other bot special building. Sometimes it'll lock a factory. Sometime it'll lock a tank, and that's the only thing that piece of poo poo is good for. It will not lock a dropship for me. It won't lock a devastator, but will lock the tiny bot behind it. If you try to lock a unit moving towards you 50/50 chance the missile veers off and misses and instagibs you instead.

I want to bring more than autocannons and EATs, but the other interesting weapons I want to bring don't loving work.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BadLlama posted:

Do any of just spawn in without your pistol? Or maybe it somehow gets dropped in game?

I don't know what is happening but every now and then, I just don't have my pistol anymore.

Kinda, in that a couple nights ago I lost my primary weapon. And the mission was going well so there weren't any lying about on corpses to rob, so I was just pistol and autocannoning for most of the game.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BadLlama posted:

I've lost my primary once or twice as well.
I lost it a good bit into the mission. At least 5 minutes in. I remember diving out of the path of a nursing spewer while switching to the autocannon, and then after it was dead I couldn't switch back to my primary (defender).

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Had a mission last night that was pitch black running through a forest during driving rain. Literally couldn't see poo poo more than 5 meters away. Every stratagem was a brief illumination, punctuated by laser fire. The mission started out like a regular night, and the weather just kept getting worse and visibility kept getting worse, and it lasted that way for ~30 of the 40 minutes of the mission. We took out the last objective and dawn broke and the weather cleared and we could actually see as we ran for extraction.

It was an awesome experience, but not necessarily one I want to do again any time soon.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Had a wild drop on a bot mission last night. Host apparently picked the middle of a medium outpost, but we managed to put a hellpod through each factory (and survive, which was just as surprising).

Freedoms here you commie computers!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Dyz posted:

Whats wrong with the defender
Not a single god damned thing. It's my default primary.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BadLlama posted:

Rover use a Scythe blessed by Super Earth space god, we get the mass production version apparently.
I would argue the Defender is actually the upgrade of the Liberator.
The Liberator has better optics, and a flashlight. Otherwise, the Defender fills the same role but does it better. Your primary weapon is for engaging trash at medium range. sidearm is for panicking when something gets too close. Everything else is best dealt with by stratagems and support weapons or by hittin da bricks.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Risky Bisquick posted:

You know what also kills stuff without being in range of retaliation? The spear.

Hear me out, on bots its goated because you can snipe literally every objective or tower/jammer without going near the base. You can do the WASD funny dance to get the lock to work.

Like gently caress it does. I spent at least 3 days trying it out every drop, and it consistently inexplicably refused to lock towers, tanks, hulks, radars, factories, chargers, titans, spores but would lock and stay locked on jetpack and hunters.

loving piece of suit is bugged for me. If there's a trick , share with the class please.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Infidelicious posted:

Would've been better if you landed on a pod cluster.
Would have been superlatively awesome to land in one of the geyser holes.

3/4 games tonight have CTD before my support weapons can even arrive. So apologies to those three games where basically all I did was drop a weapon, waste a booster, and delay the arrival of someone that can actually help. The 4th mission I sucked as well, but organically.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Lobok posted:

Personal Orders really need to be different for players. I don't love logging on going so, what's everybody using & abusing tonight?
I get the sense at the moment it's mass playtesting. Look at the last round of dailies and subsequent patch.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is deliberate team killing a problem
Rarely, but yes. I've run into it a few times now regularly playing with pubbies, and it spans levels and circumstances. I've mostly had people shoot me because I was trying to pickup 'their' backpack/support weapon despite us being surrounded and punching tickets like crazy. I've thrice had people kill me for taking 'their' samples/creds/medals and you'd think it was just noobs, but no, one of them was level 45; I tried talking to them, the lower levels responded and seemed to get it, the 45 dude never said anything but whatever, he didn't try to TK again and so long as he doesn't lose them, I don't give a poo poo.

I also think one time I accidentally signaled I wanted to gently caress around at extraction time, one of those times where there's 30 seconds and you're on top of a hill and gently caress all nothing is coming and you're just twiddling your thumbs.

I will admit to once killing someone on purpose. They were rushing extraction, they weren't the host, we had plenty of time and tickets, they weren't responding to voice or text chat, we had divers far out enough they wouldn't make it back in time, I could see the pelican touch down and they were running for the ramp and I hit them with an autocannon and let the far out team reinforce him. Grabbed his samples and waited crouched until they were close and dove in, which was the right call because the fucker tried to EAT me.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

AcidCat posted:

I think the head is a myth. My shots just go under the charger or disappear harmlessly into its armor.
FORE-head, not face-head. Aim for the middle of the bulldozer plow above it's face. It seems dumb that what looks like the thickest armor section is the weak spot, but I went from like 10% EAT one-shots to 95% once I realized that.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Quasar is the new Railgun. I hate it. It's too versatile in the exact same way that made the Railgun a boring weapon. I'm not saying it needs to be made as worthless as the railgun is now, and I hope they correct that, but it'd be better than it is now. I also don't begrudge it a first pass like this, or frankly the novelty of a new weapon being a smidgen OP. Just don't leave it like this.

In other news, the Spear still sucks poo poo, and Chort(le my balls) is a fun planet.

edit: I think I found a new bug, in that I was messing with HUD settings last night, and now I can't get the game to show me sample count during missions. I had to drop samples and pick them back up and ask people to watch the count change to tell what I was carrying. Which was kind of important as we had less than 5 minutes to extract, 0 tickets, and I was the last one standing with what I thought was the sample beacon with the super rares.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 10, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Yeah, those are the other two guns that are too universally effective. Nerf the whole podium.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Recoilless Rifle with team loading is 100% incredible on paper but it turns out nobody wants to be the ammo bitch.
The winning move is having a buddy and both of you dropping with RRs. You switch off team reloading. It's wildly fun on bugs. Bots, it's too risky, you inevitably eat a rocket. But when I play with a friend, unless they want to try something new out, it's what I suggest we run for maximum explosion fun times.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The adjudicator rules and if you're having problems with its recoil I can only assume you're walking around while shooting like it's an SMG. Stop, crouch, magdump, reload while bookin.
Standing still is death. Any gun I can't use on the run is a failure. Defender 4 Life.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

AtomikKrab posted:

I think one of the best parts of the game is when you manage to do a full squad extract at 0 reinforcements left and the timer expired with your samples, and you all go "I can't believe we all made it out."
I thought we had one of those last night, and then the last guy we brought down with single digit seconds to spare, instead of following everyone else onto the ramp just ran off into the wilderness. Chatbox was literally three simultaneous "FFS" posts

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Scope drag enhances my funhaving. I want the gun to have verisimilitude in this SF MilSim game, not act like a weightless 360 no-scope toy from an arena shooter

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 16, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Just died a way I never have before. I was on an ice bot planet, standing on an ice patch, the ones that make you slide around. Got hit with a rocket and didn't die, but fell below the ice and drowned.

Glitch, or feature?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Eruptor is my new favorite gun, and completely obviates the grenade launcher on bug missions. It closes holes more reliably from further away, and clears eggs twice as thoroughly as well. Stalwart as my 'side arm', Orbital Walking Barrage, 110HE, and 380HE. Just a deligthful romp through bug planets, loving up their hives and dipping out with Scout armor.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

hey mom its 420 posted:

I think the optimal spot to hit the titan is actually the forehead spot instead of the mouth

That's dumb. Next thing you're going to tell me the Charger's weak spot is their forehead, right?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ravenfood posted:

What do you do against titans and chargers? Just specialize hard enough in area clear that your team can handle them?

I've never yet had a drop where other people didn't bring 3-4 anti titan weapons. But also I can just run away, or ideally, lure them over a stray hellbomb which is a pretty sweet kill.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Lobok posted:

They easily could have made it 6 billion with an extended date. Give us two weekends to go absolutely ham on bugs.
We're 43% done already in 6 hours of a 6-day order. They could have made it 6 billion in half the time, and we'd still clobber it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Any jetpack mains have some sage advice on how to make it useful? I've been playing with it this week, and it's just not clicking with me. Can't seem to reliably make it over gorges, barely makes a difference in scaling heights, the only thing I'm really getting out of it is fall arrest and even then I'm flubbing that one some of the time.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Game's more than a bit jankier in a lot of little ways for me post-patch. Audio cuing glitches that weren't there before. Stuttering during loading that I've never seen before. And either I've gotten incredibly unlucky in the last half hour, but I'm seeing tons of players dropping out of matches. In the two games I played just now, I'm not exaggerating when I say I played with 15 different people. I guess a bunch of people could be dropping in just to try out new weapons?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I didn't really have any expectations going into the new anti-TSC mission, but I'm still pretty disappointed in it.

Also the worst glow fog map I've faced yet.

Tons of narrow passageways and blind alleys, all my deaths were because I had nowhere to run.

Extremely meh.

I honestly don't even really remember doing much than shooting some eggs and hitting buttons and just trying to find paths through the warren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

BastardySkull posted:

You may get something out of clearing the shader cache in AppData and reaquiring files.
Not a lick of difference. It also hangs every time I try to exit the game, which it used to, but now it does it again. They un-fixed it. And every time I start it, I get a friend request I confirmed months ago (pc to pc, steam friends, public profile).