Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Is it just me or is this game kinda hard as balls? Like I comfortably play DRG on the highest difficulty, sometimes modded to be even higher, but even difficulty 3 missions here can get really punishing in a way that just feels exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'll have to try rebinding the stratagem inputs, trying to dial those in is super obnoxious and gets me killed constantly.

Maybe I need to be more aware of patrols...when things get rough, it feels like enemies are just spawning and coming at me constantly from all directions without there being any decision of whether to engage, but maybe that's because I made earlier mistakes that let it snowball to that point.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Also I find it extremely rude when an enemy can casually boop you for 70% of your health with a hitscan ranged attack, on difficulty 3 out of 9. What on earth is the highest difficulty like, is everything just an instant kill?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Typical Pubbie posted:

You can run away if you're overwhelmed. Enemies will eventually lose track of you if you break line of sight with them.

Usually when I'm having trouble, it's when I'm in the vicinity of an objective and trying to clear some space to even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing there (obviously that'll get better with experience) so I kinda want to stick around. And some of these missions have tight time limits so I can't spend too much time tactically retreating and re-engaging.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Vasudus posted:

It's not hitscan, it's a rocket. A fast moving one, granted, but avoidable. Look for the doofus robot aiming at you for like six seconds with a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher.

There's those guys, but also the at-st walker things can pop you pretty well too (and maybe other enemies, hard to tell what's shooting what when it gets hectic)

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

JBP posted:

Are you playing with a team? Solo is always going to be a bad time on anything harder than normal. Normal can get hairy solo.

I spent a bunch of time trying to get into games with friends only to have it drop me halfway through every mission so I said gently caress it and played solo for a while.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that has been the only mission ive been able to play. I figured id be fine since i was at difficulty 1, but drat, the drops were nonstop and it took me way too long to realize I had to rescue people from the same building and not clear out other buildings. solo too cause the reinforcement beacon did not call in any other divers for me. barely failed it, rescued like 21 out of 24 needed

i did manage to extract after time ran out, used up all my ammo and was pretty hectic and fun

Yeah, having played a wider variety of missions now, I'm realizing that my perception of the difficulty was pretty skewed because I unlocked difficulty 3, figured I'd give the robot enemies a try, went into one of those missions with my more-or-less starter gear, and thought "wow difficulty 3 is really a jump up, huh"

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

lol this grenade launcher is a menace

https://i.imgur.com/3d4Wj3S.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

My main complaint with the railgun after using the grenade launcher and autocannon a bunch is that it's WAY too hard to kill yourself with the thing. I've taken it on several missions and not blown it + myself up once yet. Maybe if firing rapidly caused it to heat up so the overcharge limit gradually gets lower and lower until it has a chance to cool down?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Section Z posted:

It would be really funny if the old "Did you leave the safety on" joke applied here, but surely complaining a gun with a suicide mode isn't suicidal enough means you activated suicide mode... right?

Definitely have suicide mode on, the limit is just too generous.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Calculated

https://i.imgur.com/9WAiieC.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The fact that doing a sick max payne dodge out of the way of a charger and unloading your gun into it until its back half explodes in a shower of gore is objectively badass, and yet they discourage that so heavily in favor of some dumb thing where you shoot it in the leg twice, is wack

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

riot shield should go flying from the divers hands if it blocks a rocket but the diver should be left untouched out in the open

but also give it a dark souls parry that lets you deflect rockets + keep the shield if you time it right

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

They're fuckin ambush predators now??

https://i.imgur.com/POLTDYc.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

For some reason I get somewhat different results from some settings than in this video. Like, my particles look like his "lowest" setting unless I have them on high, regardless of which other setting I use. But I'm not really complaining because I have a 1070 and I'm amazed this game runs at all.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

From a dev's comment: armor and armor penetration is a number from 0-10, if the bullet's armor penetration # is higher than the armor # of whatever it hits, it deals damage. If the armor # is higher than the armor penetration # the shot ricochets. If the numbers are equal then the shot deals 50% damage

That seems really clear-cut (if obfuscated) but then there's also a loading screen tip that says the angle of impact affects armor penetration. Given the state of the game, it might just be lying, who knows.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

kaxman posted:

and the map closes on...like, literally everything. climb up a six-inch ledge? map closed. step off an ankle-high rock? map closed. you can't change your selected weapon with the map open, though. the icons for interactables don't appear when the map is open, either.

This drove me nuts until I bound the map to one of my mouse thumb buttons and set it to hold instead of press. I can still hear it trying to close the map as I stumble over every tiny ledge, but it can't as long as you're holding the button.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I kinda hope those mission debuffs get reworked at some point because they're kind of miserable right now. DRG's manage to be much more interesting by giving you an extra problem to deal with on the mission rather than just making part of your kit suck.

For example, how about a modifier on bug missions that makes 2-3 extra stalker nests spawn in addition to the usual ones.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Might be a bit more controversial than they're looking for, but "Literal God shows up and tells you you're in the wrong, you drop a 500kg bomb on Him" would be a fun direction to take a fascist parody work

I wonder how the in-universe propaganda would spin it

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Anyone have any sense for whether the game is less crashy with this patch? My friend group fell off because we just couldn't get through a mission together without at least one person crashing out.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Arrath posted:

Yeah start running and drop a napalm/cluster to thin the herd, and just keep running.

I usually do that because it feels right but honestly if you just swerve around a few obstacles so you've thoroughly broken line of sight, you can escape without even killing anything most of the time.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Arrath posted:

But then you're not the cool guy not looking at an explosion

I mean either way I'm...still not looking at an explosion

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Only takes forever if you have to reload it from empty, if you keep an eye on your ammo count and only have to reload a single clip at a time then it's fairly short

This is technically true of all guns in a narrower sense - if you reload before the mag's empty then you get a faster reload animation because you don't need to chamber a round, and if you had just one round left (the one in the chamber) then you don't waste any ammo either.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Owl Inspector posted:

ok armor may actually just be bugged or damage to players is not working right currently. I just took this very small amount of damage from full health from one of these bugs' jumping attacks wearing very light armor:

in the previous match, I got hit by that exact same attack while having more health than this and wearing heavy armor, and keeled over dead on the spot

The issue is that enemies can get headshots, which of course armor does not protect against

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntp6SJ58Lsk

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

kaxman posted:

Ah this makes so much more sense, and is also IMO really stupid.

I agree, just makes the game feel (even more) random. Bit too simulationist for its own good.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Waffle House posted:

Yep. Shoot underneath bugs for sure, they have soft bellehs

I tried to shoot chargers "properly" with the GL (from behind in the weak-to-explosives weakspot) and had dogshit results, but planting shots right under their chin seems to work much better (still not super consistent though)

https://i.imgur.com/ho2UQJL.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tried out the breaker post-nerf, still seems powerful to me

https://i.imgur.com/27uOt1I.mp4

Maybe has a little more kick

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's kinda nuts what the flamethrower does to chargers now

https://i.imgur.com/7btgCiV.mp4

Slugger + flamethrower is pretty comfy. Shield pack recommended though, burning hunters WILL kill you constantly.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Brood commanders can even live an inconveniently long time with their big front limbs blown off, just flopping around on the ground trying to hit you with their face

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Technically the anti-materiel rifle should be useless against bugs, as they do not have materiel

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I just tried out the jetpack and I can't dive and then activate it in midair? What's this bullshit

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

One thing you can do with the AC against dropships is to put a few rounds into the troops hanging underneath it as it flies in. You can pretty reliably kill all the small/medium stuff before they can detach.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Worf posted:

They would promise the special cape and then not deliver it based on my previous experiences with this game

Or they'd deliver it but if you're playing in a party with someone on PS5 who has it equipped then throwing a grenade crashes your game

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I dunno, this game's community seems unusually lovely. Things have gotten nerfed in DRG from time to time and maybe I wasn't looking in the worst places but I didn't see responses other than "seems reasonable". Also in over 1000 hours playing it, I never saw people getting kicked for not playing in the exact correct way the host wanted to play.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I don't know how much population size alone explains the toxicity - the past couple of Monster Hunter games got up to a similar size and their communities seemed generally more wholesome and supportive (though, again, I'm not really hanging out on these games' subreddits, just hearing about them second hand). There are definitely design decisions in HD2 that create more friction between players, and combined with everything being kind of broken and buggy, I think there are just a lot of bad vibes and frustration being generated.

I'm bummed when people say "that's just how it is, all game communities are garbage and nothing can be done about it". It can be better :(

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

There's also a pretty wide variance in what people consider "fun" about this game, I've found. I was playing with a friend + 2 pubbies, and my friend thought it would be funny to kill one of them with a grenade as we were extracting. The pubby did not think this was funny at all, and spent a minute getting big mad in chat before quitting out.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

Pubbie was more in the right than your friend was.

Yeah, no debate, but I was cringing at both of them.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Piell posted:

Just checking, did they call you a dipshit?

I wasn't really participating in that conversation. Did they call my friend a dipshit? I dunno, maybe, it was a week+ ago.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

DRG has had an unusually long tail though. Last year, the 6th year the game had been out, they sold 2.5 million copies, up from 2.3 mil the year before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah I've had plenty of cases where I kill them before they even get a chance to start a charge, so I don't think that's related.