Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I just found out the hard way that you can get automaton Tanks spawning on Medium difficulty. :mildpanic:

I only had one Eagle bombing run left on me at the time, which I used on the tank. Cue me hiding in a hole nearby waiting for it to cooldown so I could deal with a tower with a tank turret on top that had me pinned down.

I can't wait to play with actual people again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

raverrn posted:

For Butchers (the chainsaw ones) and Basic (one gun arm) the lower center torso is a secondary weak point.

Yeah, the skull on those seems to be bait. Either that or it's just a really finnicky hitbox. Cut them in half at the waist instead.

Or just hit them with 3 shots from the grenade launcher.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Anyone who has promoted the flamer as a viable strategem weapon is a fool and a charlatan. You should be cast out into the street like a damp weekly newspaper from last month. What a terrible weapon.

It's not bad, especially against the bugs, but it's very much an "I didn't take a support weapon stratagem and haven't found anything better on the map yet" weapon.

It does seem like it's better for setting ground on fire for bugs to walk through than for actually firing directly at the bugs.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

So I found out that your hellpod won't kill those automaton towers with the tank cannon on top.

Also that being prone up there seems to be the safest place to go AFK, so if by sheer dumb luck a respawn drops you onto one, you can go take a quick mid-mission break while you wait for your stratagems to recharge :v:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

CainFortea posted:

And yet there are still pubbies that are confused when you mention that we're the baddies

I'm kinda disappointed they made the automatons actually evil with cages full of dead civvies and stuff. They could have made them "scary looking, but actually just want to be left alone", but nope they're nazi robots being even worse than your fascist humans.

At least the terminids are just dumb animals.

What was The Illuminate's deal in HD1?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I hope they release the soundtrack sometime soon as I have the automaton leitmotif stuck in my head

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

SES Hammer of Twilight. I know it isn't a funny one but I like it :shobon:

After the patch hit I dropped solo onto the Creek to test out the Autocannon now I have it unlocked, and ended up immediately being joined by 3 pubbies. We ended up finishing several campaigns against the bots together. God this game is great when it works :allears:

I'm gonna be sad when the Autocannon inevitably eats a nerf because it's just so good right now.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Breaker is just seriously out of line with the rest of the primary guns. I know they've got bigger fish to fry right now, but I hope there are some adjustments made. Preferably the adjustments should be buffing the other guns and not nerfing the Breaker.

Also make the Stalwart a primary. I tried it out and its indeed good, but its a tough sell as a Stratagem slot.

Yeah, running a combo of Breaker, Redeemer and Autocannon is nigh unbeatable right now unless you really need that backpack slot for something else.

I am considering running with an SMG and the ballistic shield backpack, seeing as I enjoy fighting the bots far more than the bugs. I've not had a chance to try it properly yet, but it seems promising.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

That doesn't seem to apply for other Eagle strikes. The Bombing Run one is left-to-right based on your direction, I think?

Either that or it follows the Orbital Strike rule of going outwards from the center of the map.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Make sure you aren't all readied up when you kick an AFK person. If the host kicks someone and it starts the mission because everyone left is ready, it drops the host in with none of their picked stratagems :gonk:

Extra fun when the pubbie you're with won't drop a second support weapon so you have to spend 2/3 the mission with nothing but your primary, secondary and grenades until you finally find a random spawn :nallears:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 21, 2024

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nuebot posted:

This just happens sometimes. The other night my character was running around shooting things while screaming "MY ARM!" and "I CAN'T AIM WITH THIS ARM!" while notably aiming with that arm. Thankfully a bug removed it after a few minutes of that.

Yeah, sometimes you just end up with the effects of a broken body part despite being fully healed. I've had it happen most with my legs, and let me tell you not being allowed to run at all until you manage to take enough damage to be able to stim youself ain't fun.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

LazyMaybe posted:

what is up with high level players who just never use boosters

do they think they're consumables that'll get used up or something

I just keep forgetting mine because it doesn't automatically pop open when I finish picking stratagems :shobon:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The Cyborgs themselves appear to have been, uh, liberated.

100 years of 'rehabilitation' in the mines on the planet Cyberstan, according to your shipmaster. So, enslaved.

Yes, they really called a planet that.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

explosivo posted:

Pretty sure it's just that all armor has the same value not necessarily that it's as strong as heavy armor. So wearing light armor still benefits you because you can run around faster but not die any quicker than anyone else wearing any other armor.

Edit: That could be wrong though. Either way there's a bug that will make light armor less viable eventually whenever it gets fixed.

Do we actually know that the "armour value doesn't work" thing means that all armour counts as a rating of 100 like medium armour?

Or could it mean "all armour has a value of 0"?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Give me two emote slots so I can still salute as the ICBM launches while also being able to hug my bros/do the 'come at me' pose at the bugs :argh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I've been tempted to get the impact grenades but I clear a lot of nests in person, is that gonna be more difficult if I can't aim for that upper lip and bounce it in?

I've had no problems hitting bug holes with impacts.

Bot factories, on the other hand, are right fuckers. Carry an orbital or eagle that can bust those if you fight the bots and want to use impacts.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Is the Tesla Tower any good? It seems like it'd be great for closing off a direction from bugs, but I only ever see people taking gatling/mg turrets instead.

Fishstick posted:

Protip, the open doors on bot factories work too - you don't specifically have to hit em in the vents. Wait for an idiot robot to come check out the noise and then toss the impact nade inside the front door. Made dealing with single factories a lot easier when using impact nades personally

:aaaaa:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does anyone else sometimes get a bug where their primary or secondary weapon just goes poof? I'm not using the drop menu either because I rebound that away from everything else but suddenly I'll just notice I am missing one of those weapons for the rest of the round.

I've heard there's a chance to drop your gun when ragdolled.

I can't confirm it though, the only time I lost my primary that way it was in the middle of a pile of guns I dropped on previous lives so I had no idea if I dropepd it or it just vanished.

It definitely happens with the Ballistic Shield backpack though, which is the one big problem of using it :argh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The eagle rocket pods are incredibly valuable on higher level bug missions. They might not kill a charger or titan, but they'll usually strip off enough armor that you can easily finish them off with your primary. Not to mention you get two shots per rearm timer, three if you have all the eagle upgrades. I've actually been taking the grenade launcher out again because I can rely on those for the anti-armor work.

While I love the orbital laser, I wish they'd either make it better against armored targets or take away the 3 shot limit. Right now it'll take most of it's fire time to kill a single charger and won't even kill a bile titan.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

The bases are less the issue and more that bots just have way more patrols(and way more attentive ones) than bugs(or at least it seems that way) so it feels like it's just a bit too easy to get into a failure spiral with bots

I think that's made up for by the fact that it's a lot easier to break contact with the bots. They're usually mostly staying at range, and their heaviest elites are some of their slowest units.

Compare that to the bugs who are constantly in your face, and you pretty much can't run away from Chargers and Bile Titans as they'll just keep pace.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

Scrambled stratagems went from kinda funny to insufferable in a hurry, just punching in the shortest code in the list and canceling it after getting the wrong thing 4 times in a row

Yeah, I had my first one of those yesterday and after the first mission of the operation I immediately picked up the Airburst orbital and ran with that, because the code is just >>> so it's easy to mash over and over until you get what you want.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

always go rambo to find that loving stalker nest

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Infidelicious posted:

Breaker at waist level / Dominator or slugger aiming for the head and liberal use of impact grenades if it's a stack of 6.

Redeemer at waist level also works surprisingly well as a panic "oh poo poo they're right on top of me!" option if you're using a DMR or something as your primary.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Chillgamesh posted:

All it's missing (besides stuff that's already on the roadmap) is some ally NPCs to make the battles feel a little more epic imo.

Yeah. It's the sort of thing that would make planetary defense a bit more bearable, if instead of just evacuating people you were also being dropped in to help some hapless SEAF troopers escape or turn the tide.

Maybe throw in a few missions where SEAF SAM Sites and SEAF Artillery are the main objectives inead of just side ones for good measure too.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Apparently this latest patch fixes armour not working, so the 'light armour only' era may be over.

Also some balance changes to the Orbital artillery barrages as well as some of the worst weapons.

The railgun, breaker and shield pack also got a nerf to try and kill that meta.

e:f;b - full patch notes on previous page

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nerfing the breaker is fine, what it is bizarre is only buffing other shotguns, so ARs, DMR, the counter sniper, and laser rifle are even less worthwhile in comparison to any shotgun.

Well they did say this was just the first round of balance passes on the current kit, so I assume they went "lets start with the current 'meta' kit and the worst offenders and work our way out from there"

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

:) "We've buffed the spray and pray, which was the worst gun in the game"
:qq: "WHY DO YOU HATE THE DMR?!:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

raverrn posted:

Spear picks up 1 missile per environmental ammo box (used to be 0!!!).

Oh thank loving god. Now if they've fixed the bug where dropping it breaks its ability to lock onto anything, it might actually be viable

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

hey mom its 420 posted:

Could be. My guess is that they don't actually want that, but that they're finding it very hard to design the game experience for higher difficulties without it devolving into a benny hill episode. Seems like a tough one to crack, hope they find a way

I want to see how mechs and other vehicles affect the higher level missions.

Even if it is just "everyone piles into an APC and the rear gunners gun down bug hordes as you kite them"

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

thalweg posted:

Can spear lock on to bot dropships? I was able to down one with it and even got credit for the kills and it was awesome, but next one I tried couldnt get the lock. Not sure if it's the lock being buggy/fiddly or if what happened was I actually locked on to a bot that the ship was carrying.

Yes, but it'll try to go for the middle of the dropship instead of the engine pods, so it's mostly down to getting a lucky angle if you actually want to kill the dropship with it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, for Bezerkers grab something quick firing and try to cut them in half rather than going for the headshots.

The Slugger will stunlock one (normal Devastators too!), but if you have multiple bearing down on you that's a bit less reliable.

I never played HD1, but what are the chances of one of the Illuminate heavies being a War Of The Worlds style tripod? That seems like it'd be a good fit for this game.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I like how Pelican-1 will actually take some potshots at the bots/bugs while dropping off your mech. I fired up an easy "kill a devestator" mission just to learn the controls somewhere I wouldn't be bothered too much, and he accidentally completed the mission for me while dropping the mech off :allears:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The mech actually does make higher levels feel a lot more viable. Suicide Mission feels comparable to Challenging if you've got your team calling down the mechs when you have no choice but to dig in at an objective. It might be different once we don't all get a free one, but they make groups of chargers a lot more manageable.

Still gotta be careful with turret placement though. I called my free mech in on an eliminate bugs mission and died instantly to my own autocannon turret hitting me in the back :doh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

I break those lightposts on sight. 99% of the time they exist to destroy my ability to see.

:hai:

Why do they need the light of lightposts when they have the light of Managed Democracy?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

God the mech is so much fun when things line up just right :allears:

Egg clearing mission with one batch left, 10 minutes left on the clock, the rest of the team is bogged down clearing a large bug nest or hunting for the super samples, and I decide "gently caress it". Call in my mech and wade into the last hatchery guns blazing and clear it solo. Feels so good.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

raverrn posted:

Oh, hey they changed Liberation % to TCS Installation %

Makes sense, after all once the TCS is running the planet will definetly become 100% bug free and stay that way forever :)

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I have no idea how some people are reaching level 30+ in this game. I did my first TCS mission last night with a pair of pubbies who were on voice chat with each other, and they were utterly oblivious as to what they were meant to be doing. Constant back and forths of "Do you know what we're supposed to do now?" My dude, it literally has it written on the screen AND I am pinging it for you.

Not to mention the one tower I didn't have a mech for took at least 10 attempts because they kept shooting the tower :doh:

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

I'm doing my part to make the thread unreadable!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Fishstick posted:

FYI Termicide Silos take friendly fire damage including from strategems

No this is not stated anywhere ingame

Annoyingly the orbital laser stratagem will target the towers, making it utterly useless on the TCS missions.

At least it hits them at the top, seemingly way above the damage hitbox so it doesn't actually hurt the tower, but still...

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've not fought bots much with goons, but with pubbies their biggest problem is trying to fight them like bugs. Too much standing out in the open and running around, not using cover, and getting blasted for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

That's a point, how do you weild a grenade? I had it happen to me accidentally last night, my helldiver was just running around with one in his hand, and it worked like a normal weapon with RMB to aim and LMB to throw. I couldn't get it to stop until I changed weapons. I don't think it's just '4' otherwise I'd be doing it accidentally all the time.

I mean, mostly so I can avoid doing it again, but it seems like it would be handy for clearing bug nests.