Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How is the PC performance? When this first released I had seen rumblings the PC was kind of garbage and there was a lot of CTDs and poor Performance despite systems that should easily handle the game at max

I’ve got a 1080 which has really started struggling on new releases the last six months or so, but this runs absolutely rock solid 60fps at 1440 for me, on quality upscaling. Looks great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

even if you do decide to spend real money it's so much cheaper than any other game on the market. Like what, about 3-4 bucks for an armor and helmet set? Compared to the absurd $30+ skins in Diablo IV it's hard to get mad at this

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

JBP posted:

40k Orks ripoff faction. No heavy armour at all. Lots of screaming and waves of charging dudes. Trucks with light/medium armour full of guys; if you pop the truck the guys don't die they just fall out.

I’m down, this sounds fun as hell

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

queeb posted:

If you reload the auto cannon with at least one shot left in it it'll reload like 10x as fast as doing it empty

The autocannon is even a bit more fiddly with reloads than other weapons. It has a capacity of 10 rounds and it can’t eject a partial clip like other guns. Each clip is 5 rounds, so you can only get back up to full from 5/10 or 0/10 remaining. So just reload at half every time and you’ll always get the fast reload.

RBA Starblade posted:

Democracy never sleeps

I think you mean managed democracy, soldier. Unmanaged democracy may as well be *spits* communism

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah this is it I think, it's taken all the dry seriousness out of what would otherwise be a lot of hardcore military sim mechanics, and added in just a huge amount of heart and personality. The bombast of it all - especially the incredible visual flair - also kind of makes those hardcore mechanics come across as approachable and arcadey. Just a great job all round

Someone else said it earlier in the thread but the game also does a great job of closing the ludonarrative dissonance gap in the silliest way possible, by setting up the helldivers as a bunch of 18 year olds who have gone through the legal required minimum of training, before giving them the keys to nucelar ordnance. The fact that games tend to unfold exactly as that narrative sets up always feels like a huge payoff.

imo the key to the games success is that it’s still fun as hell whether you’re winning or losing. Perfectly nailing an objective or patrol with an orbital is extremely satisfying, but accidentally blowing up your squad is hilarious, so you win either way.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

yet another night of Helldiving with absolutely zero connectivity issues. For the first time in history, we've got the best version of an online game :australia:

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

50% dps boost to flamethrower sounds like it could be massive. Keen to give it another try

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

I just verified files and it redownloaded a couple of things so maybe check that if you're having stability issues?

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Nice, I didn't think about using impact grenades on the spewers. Not having a regular support slot calldown means I might actually grab one out in the field too.

Now to see if there are any light +grenade armors, or +grenade armors that look nice. Fashion while dying for democracy is important.

There's at least one light +grenade armor in the Superstore rotation. It looks pretty good too at least imo

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

anyone having crashes since the new patch? Just had our whole squad have a bunch in a row. Last one with 13 seconds to extraction while I was holding the super samples. Ugh

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

Seeing people saying they're crashing pretty consistently with arc throwers now, but I've been arcing with no problems.

e: lmao crashed using a blitzer immediately after posting.

hmm me and a buddy were both running arc throwers so that could be it. Super annoying

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Most things I shoot in third person while aiming. The Arc I shoot from the hip occasionally because aiming isn't too important but the timing is easier when aiming because of the charge indicator.

Pretty much only the Slugger I use half the time in ADS with the scope.

you can change the settings so the crosshair always appears and you can get the charge indicator when hip-firing.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

haddedam posted:

When are we getting quality of life, like end of game stats taking as much time as the entire game?

lol they currently take about a third as long as they did at launch

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

my team absolutely just got slaughtered on maia by the aerial gunship factories, nobody could get behind enemy lines to hellbomb the place and we just smashed ourselves against the waves until resource exhaustion. it was awesome lol

Yeah I found that the gunships actually seem to focus on destroying the hellbomb once you call it down so it's really hard to actually set it off if there's any still in the air. Makes it way harder to take out than a shrieker nest.

On that note - has anyone figured out if there's any way to destroy the gunship tower other than the hellbomb? I tried blasting it with a quasar cannon a bunch of times and that did nothing. Stratagems I tried didn't seem to work either. Maybe if you position the 500kg right? Or hit directly with an orbital barrage?

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

d0grent posted:

idk if I like the sickle against bots, I empty almost a whole 'clip' into a devastator and then promptly get blasted into hell

not to be an rear end in a top hat but have you tried just aiming for their faces? I feel like I pop devvy heads like crazy with the sickle, like I'm always surprised by how fast they go down. Plus you can just sweep it over a big pack of little guys at roughly head height and you'll usually get most of them.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Sindai posted:

Anyone else notice the momentum imparted by Eruptor explosions is negative or something? It sucks you towards the point of impact instead of throwing you away.

I think it has blowback like the recoilless. Back right up to a wall and fire and you’ll get flung forward. I also killed a squadmate who was right behind me when I fired.
It honestly feels like a bug to me, there’s nothing to indicate it should work that way.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

If you find the eruptor hard to aim try crouching more. I crouch (or prone) for literally almost every shot I take. You get into a good rhythm of crouch, fire, then if you need to you can sprint out of the crouch away while you rack the next shot before sliding into a crouch and firing again. It takes no time at all to crouch and stand up again, and it makes such a huge difference I always notice if I’m on uneven terrain and the crouch doesn’t quite take.
Also diving backwards to fire at bugs that get up close will stop you from getting ragdolled by your own shrapnel most of the time. Plus you get to feel like max payne.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Astrochicken posted:

Yes! I got into the habit of crouching while firing w/ most guns and maybe going prone to reload (this while fighting bots). I started doing the dive back to shoot near bugs that got too close for comfort.

I think eruptor really is going to have to eat a nerf soon with how effective it can be against bugs. Maybe as long as they give some of that power to explosive crossbow..

I hope not. Eruptor has quickly become my favourite gun. It doesn’t feel overpowered to me, I think it’s fairly well balanced by how cumbersome it is. The crossbow needs a boost for sure though.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Dilber posted:

Is there some sort of hidden spawn balance change over the last couple of days or are spawns bugged. I've been having some absolutely wild games recently with friends where difficulty is randomly through the roof. I was playing level 4 with some low level friends and a base had 4 hulks and 2 tanks in it. Level 5 bots has been weird where I've gotten entire bot drops of just hulks or heavy devestators.

I normally play on 7/8 for both bots and bugs and this has felt significantly harder. A couple of other friends have noticed the same thing separately, but I'm not seeing people here mention it.

I had a bot mission tonight on 7 that was pretty nuts. It felt like every single dropship was all rocket devastators and hulks so we were constantly getting blown up from all angles. It definitely feels like it’s been a little more hectic the last few days.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Dren posted:

They need to keep their content release cadence or the popularity of the game will fall off. The correct answer is to do both by spending some of the giant pile of money they just got to expand the team. If they’re not set up to scale, that will be painful. But, it’s the answer.

I mean there's been over 10,000 layoffs in the game industry this year in part because companies are constantly scaling up and down like this so no, I don't really think that's the "correct answer". I'd much rather they are slow and sustainable. Maybe players should just be loving patient instead.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Drowning Rabbit posted:

As for the strategem bloat that we have already, there REALLY need to be more categories. I have taken the wrong strategem on accident as is too many times. Last night, I took a ballistic shield down with me. :sigh:

Yes absolutely. Give eagles and backpacks their own separate categories at least please

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Infidelicious posted:

The Sickle needs a reduction in ICE to make you actually give a poo poo about the cooldown mechanic, and make overheating it a tradeoff / drawback like the Laser Cannon; instead of just treating it like a Liberator+.

yeah I think they could halve the number of reloads you get and I wouldn't even notice

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Jerkface posted:

it already paid for it with its handling, projectile speed and bounce, the small magazine size, fire rate, inability to be used in close quarters and ineffectiveness vs spread out targets?

eruptor post first round nerfs felt very balanced. Requires you to cover for its weakness in some way and was not a jack of all trades.

yeah the eruptor felt like it was in a decent place to me before. Sure it was very strong, but it also had huge drawbacks in that it was dangerous, slow (both the fire rate and handling) and had limited ammo. Now it just feels useless because those drawbacks massively outweigh the damage it puts out. The shrapnel also made it unique and interesting, now it just feels like a worse version of the other explosive primaries.

I don't know why they saw the self/team damage as a problem. That was part of what made it risky and fun to use. If anything I would have preferred that they nerfed it by making it even more deadly to the wielder.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

I’m tempted to go back and see how many people complaining about the eruptor nerf were ok with the railgun nerf, just a bit tempted

Taking away the eruptor killing chargers in one hit is I guess good but man it can’t do anything to mediums now. Less choice is bad.

I mean both of those nerfs were overdone imo. They probably both needed some sort of nerf but now they both just feel flat out bad to use.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

johnny park posted:

The railgun is perfectly fine right now lol

it might be fine or viable but is it good? Does it do anything that the AMR or Autocannon doesn't do dramatically better and easier?

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Schwawa posted:

it might be fine or viable but is it good? Does it do anything that the AMR or Autocannon doesn't do dramatically better and easier?

I'm genuinely asking here just btw. I rarely use the railgun because it seems so anaemic whenever I've tried it. I don't need every gun to be exactly as good as each other, but I at least want them to feel fun, and the railgun as it is now straight up doesn't imo.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

johnny park posted:

It deletes medium-armor enemies at close range better than either since it has great handling, a third person reticle, and no self-damage (with one exception). I think it has a niche. Solid all-rounder

fair enough!

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Only problem I have with current railgun is that it fills the same niche as AMR but worse in every way. Unsafe mode should do a lot more damage, like Quasar level when near full charge.

yeah the risk/reward on unsafe mode is way off. No other gun kills you and destroys itself if you gently caress up using it, the reward for doing so should be massive. Make the safe charging window shorter if you have to balance it, but for such a heavy downside you should be getting a big benefit.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Flamer and orbital gas are both great now. Loved actually being able to use the flame thrower without having basic bugs leap through the flames at me. Gas does go invisible after the initial green burst though, so that's not optimal. Might only have been on Heeth though.

yeah gas finally feels pretty good now. Last time I tried it before the DoT fix I was getting literally zero kills when I dropped it on a breach. Last night I managed to get a 35x on extract with a single gas strike. Definitely managed to kill myself walking into a cloud I thought had dissipated though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

also can they PLEASE stop with the 3 stratagem slot modifier? it doesn't make anything more challenging -- i just completed a helldive with that modifier, wearing light armor, without dying once. it just makes the game more frustrating and takes away some of the fun. ugh

the 3 slot one is the worst but all of the mission modifiers suck and may as well just be scrapped. None of them are interesting or change the way you play the game. They don't make it harder, they just make it a little more boring. The cooldown one I literally don't notice at all.

Plus they already have in-mission modifiers that are vastly more interesting- stratagem jammers, anti-air emplacements, spore spewers etc. These significantly change the way a mission feels and they give you new strategic objectives that mix things up and make the missions feel dynamic. You've also got the weather effects which are much more interesting than the overall mission modifiers. Fire tornadoes and meteor showers might be frustrating but at least they aren't straight up boring.

I'm sure they could implement mission modifiers that would be more interesting but the ones they have now are pointless imo.