Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone encounter the bot walker yet? Curious on weakpoints etc, it looks awesome from vids

We don't have any tow cables or planes we can fly so I have no idea how to take them down.

e:f,b on my first post in the thread. Great start, Lobok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Away all Goats posted:

Each helldiver bringing two mortars each is overkill and you will quickly get overrun, no wonder you find it tough

Unless they mean for staggered deployment so no sentries are waiting on cooldowns or missing because they've been destroyed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I have not used true mortar sentries for ages but EMS ones are gold. Use them on all kinds of missions.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

before you just instantly died when a rocket exploded 5m away from you

Is that what "Explosion" means when it's cause of death? Super helpful, game, thank you for telling me what my eyes and ears and hands were already telling me about how I died.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sagebrush posted:

What is the proper timing to shooting down dropships?

I know you have to hit them in the engines and I've gotten quite good at calling down an EAT the moment I see the flare and popping them as they come in. But it seems like there are four possible outcomes, and they seemingly occur at random:

1) dropship crashes and all the bots inside it die too
2) dropship crashes and the bots inside survive, but are trapped under the wreckage and only shoot without moving
3) dropship crashes and kills everything underneath it, including any bots that it has already dropped
4) dropship crashes but the bots inside/dropped are somehow fine and they walk out of the fireball shooting. (This happens the most often)

I also don't think I've ever managed to kill a tank by shooting down the dropship that was carrying it.

What is the secret?

I don't know what determines outcomes 2 through 4 because it seems random but to ensure outcome 1 you need to be fast. Take an engine out pretty much as soon as it stops or ideally before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sindai posted:

Oh you can go back and see briefings when you join a mission in progress now, nice.

Flippin' finally!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LazyMaybe posted:

that's a new one

I guess now you're a Steeled Foot Veteran

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I sometimes play with a group formed by a guy from work and for their level and experience they are way more afraid of higher difficulties than they should be and I just don't have the balls to tell them they get bogged down too much in unnecessary fights. That's why the game is harder for them. They're having fun so it's not on me to poo poo up their good times but it's kind of disheartening to hear them treat ever owning super samples the way I would treat ever owning a yacht.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gorelab posted:

I'm really amused by the group of players who seem to think the Quasar is this amazing wonder weapon, because it's good in it's role, but it's legit a side-grade to the EAT and RR, yet people apparently are acting like it's this amazing a anti-medium and I'm just so confused.

I'm a recent convert to Autocannon, and at least against bots, it is an adjustment getting used to the backpack requirement because I always used to have a shield against bots. Having the Quasar and shield was nice.

Sindai posted:

Pro AC strats: when you notice you're at 6 rounds left after a fight, pop one into the air and fill up.

Is there a setting for numerical ammo counts that I've never seen?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 3, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

There's obviously some outliers, but I think the majority of the stratagems and guns are in a pretty good place right now. It doesn't feel like there's one best loadout for anything. Like if I get bored of Quasar, shield and scorcher, taking autocannon, sickle and more big bombs feels just as good in a different way. They have a very solid base game now, I can't wait to see what it's gonna be like in 6 months. I can see myself playing this for a long time.

And the flipside of no best loadout is I don't feel bummed or put out if I have to use other stuff that aren't my go-to's. If the planet or the mission or the difficulty or my teammates incentivize/necessitate taking different equipment I can always pick from stuff I like.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are mines still instantly lethal? Asking the important questions.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Good luck out there today Helldivers.

Personal Orders really need to be different for players. I don't love logging on going so, what's everybody using & abusing tonight?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

explosivo posted:

It would be nice if the Shield Dome indicated how soon it is to disappearing. We threw some down during an extermination mission and they lasted a hilariously short amount of time and everyone gets surprised and has to scatter because it just disappears. Make it turn red or something as it gets more damaged.

It's why I often don't like it. Great while it lasts, prime opportunity to get the whole team wiped when it disappears.

Internet Explorer posted:

The Personal Orders being the same for everyone is extremely on-brand with some dumb higher-up getting obsessed with something and then mandating everyone use it even though it's worthless and then the next day they're on to something else and no wait why are you even using yesterday's Personal Order hardware you idiot.

Even more on brand with dumb MIC poo poo if it's almost like sponsoring or testing for the manufacturers. Heckler & Koch is going to give us a prime discount on next year's acquisitions if they think it's a standard issue rifle. Get out there and use it, go, go!

But there's also a point where the lore and narrative butts up against gameplay. I'd still like variation in the dailies.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 4, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Legit Businessman posted:

It's actually Port-most (left most). As you would approach the pods, that's clearly Player One, and that's the best player (and usually reserved for the host).

The middle ones seem the most leaderly. Left and right are for support / underlings.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh, intriguing...

quote:

Expert Extraction Pilot Booster
Need to get out of a jam fast? This booster lowers the time it takes for the extraction shuttle to reach the extraction beacon. Home in time for dinner.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reiley posted:

Can you blow up bot factories through their vents with impact grenades? Is it just really precise?
e: I keep waiting for the door to open like an idiot.

I usually put the targeting reticule at the bottom lip of the vent and keep a good free throw distance for the right arc.

sebmojo posted:

what are the general best picks for strategms, before you get into the situationally useful ones? i'm like level 11 so still only have a few - so far i just know 380 mm is basically an extremely loud suicide note but i still love it.

Everyone already covered this but as you're using orbitals and eagles, try to learn the pattern for where they explode and how long they take. Eagles come from behind you, Orbitals come from your ship and there can be an angle to them depending on where you are on the map relative to your ship, and some explode outward from a central point while others explode in a line perpendicular to where you were facing.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 4, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sindai posted:

Remember that explosive weapon damage is misleadingly low since it only lists the impact damage.

It's really too bad how much they dropped the ball with the stats and special features of every gun. You just have to take them out in the field and try them out, reading about them is mostly useless.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darox posted:

I don't understand what people are bringing their EATs/Quasar/RR for on bots. The only thing it's notably good against is dropships, which while nice really isn't worth a support slot by itself. They don't really do well against Hulks, Tanks, Devastators or Striders, aka everything in the bot army that will kill you dead and is annoying to fight without support weapons. The new gunships are a decent target and I can't speak to how effective they are against factory striders but overall they seem really underwhelming.

Using them because you like rockets or you haven't unlocked other support weapons yet or you think dropships exploding look awesome (it is) are all fair enough but some people act like they're essential anti-bot tools which I just don't get.

Similar to the AC but with unlimited ammo and allows for other backpack stuff. And dropship deletion is extremely satisfying. I've taken to using the AC against bots because I like the rate of fire but not having the shield against all the little plinking hits, from enemies and friendlies alike, is something I do miss.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just started using the Scorcher and while it is very effective I do echo the goons who say it has all the...

...of shooting spitballs, except without the fun of having the back of a supply teacher's head to target.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fire damage is just ridiculous now. I'm armoured/clothed head to toe, why does a lick of flame kill me so easily? Line the Helldiver suits with asbestos or something, goddamn.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ok, I rarely care about end-game poses as I've only ever used the default salute and the air shotgun one but the new warbond has a chav-style / rap album squat I think I'm gonna main.

LazyMaybe posted:

that's all true but why ever stim first instead of diving

Does the diving through the air part stop the flame or only when you hit the ground? Ridiculous question but fire kills so fast now it actually matters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thanks for confirming. So flames on the Helldiver is basically now the Evade warning from other games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like to think the lack of communication went like this:

Helldiver pings a sub objective, runs off.
German players keep saying "nein, nein" on comms and keep spamming the very English "Negative!" on the dialogue wheel.

Helldiver keeps running, does shocked face watching them take off in Pelican 1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hwurmp posted:

lol contact mines on Durgen are an absolute menace

I have never died more often or more stupidly

Is that a planet with red ground/vegetation? Contact mines suuuuck on those planets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

smellmycheese posted:

We need a way to tie up their legs imho

If you use the Frolic emote where you and another Helldiver hold hands and skip, you can time it right to use your joined arms to trip one of the AT-AT legs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Owlbear Camus posted:

i know it's a contentious thing for people who think that you're not fighting for freedom if you're not friday night funkin to call down your strategems, but voice attack has been a real game changer for my gnarled old hands and I would highly recommend it if you need some accessibility help.

i do feel a little self-conscious verbally calling in fire missions while my fiance is around lol

Calling out the name of your attack warms the hearts of anime nerds everywhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Helldivers.io estimates a little under 3 hours left for Tibit, then everyone is probably gonna swarm Durgen.

Gonna be Durgen so hard tonight

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So Durgen is uh, not fun. Several minutes each mission when you just can't see a drat thing.

Unlucky7 posted:

Just to make sure that I understand correctly, in order to host yourself with randos you need to start a missing and drop the SOS stratagem? I have been using quickplay up till now.

The SOS is just for calling more help once you're on the planet. If you start a mission people can join your ship before you launch. Up to you how long to wait to see if your team fills up but other players may not be as patient.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

turn off the TV posted:

People will join even if you don't SOS so long as the game is set to public, the SOS just prioritizes your session for quickplay or something like that.

Yeah and puts that ping ring around your mission icon on the planet map so people see it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arglebargle III posted:

The bots can't see anything either. You can just walk into a base and plant a hellbomb.

Sure, but I have not been getting them at opportune times like you guys. The game seems to know when we're trying to explore visually or take things out from afar.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 7, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does anyone think the armour perks will get mix 'n' matched at some point? Would especially make the Super Credits shop a lot more interesting if the perks were more randomized or shaken up. I mean unless they have been and I've missed it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sagebrush posted:

Hot take: the Stalwart should be a primary. Yes it shoots fast and has a big magazine, but it doesn't really hit that hard and it has no armor penetration. It's a lot of fun to set it to 1100 RPM and spray like a fire hose and I would like to use it more. However it really is not worth giving up a real support weapon or another stratagem. I think I've literally never seen anyone bringing it on difficulty 6 or above.

Not really a hot take, wasn't it a primary in the first game?

To your point though, I wonder if they keep it a support weapon for lower level players.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fishstick posted:

There's "warnings" on the deploy screen about heavily armored enemies but it's basically meaningless since that'ts true for literally every mission. But yeah I'd love to see some vague mutator descriptions because it certainly seems like one game it's Bile Titan central while the next is "Oops all spitters" despite having identical briefing warnings.

The first two bug missions I played after just doing bots exclusively for a while, when I played the second mission I was like "oh yeah! Bile spewers!" because they weren't in the first mission at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I got used to the AC after using it for so many bot missions and I thought it'd tear through bugs but it doesn't seem worth the cost of taking up backpack space. If I'm going to take up backpack room I'd rather go Grenade Launcher + Supply. The Quasar is good but like Infidelicious said it's really not great unless you can be The Quasar Guy your team is creating space/time for. I did a 3-man mission where we all were running QCs againt bugs but it broke down without us calling our shots when it counted. A lot of wasted shots and very little suppressing fire.

All in all I think I'd rather go back to EATs plus shield/rover. If I die then yeah I lose the protection but I'm still a fighting force inside of ten seconds after I drop in. Or Arc, since I haven't played it with at all since the latest update to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Email Address posted:

I would also accept an oversized bayonet for stylish melee tomfoolery.

Looking at your avatar and also knowing that this game is already clearing drawing inspiration from Star Wars, I think we all know what melee weapon the game needs to add.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That new booster that reduces extraction time is going to be pretty useful for basic farming missions because on levels 1 or 2 you can get through things super quickly but you still have to contend with waiting around for Pelican 1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel it must be a universal experience to come across that little farming operation POI where there's some ammo and a common sample at the far end of it but picking up the sample always takes like two or three tries because it's nestled in among a couple barrels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Piell posted:

This but trying to pick up my autocannon from my corpse and instead picking up my sickle/breaker

I lost my AC for a while yesterday because I went to one of those usual behind-the-building spots to nab some ammo and the game had spawned a Break-Action Shotgun right next to it and I didn't realize I had picked it up until I switched to my support and I was too far away to go back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nybble posted:

Grinding out some common samples. Join into a Trivial mission on Quick Play. Middle of extraction, I pick up the only 2 samples near the extraction.

The other pubbies are just shooting off stuff, so I ready an Orbital Laser for the pew pew when the Pelican drops.

Someone throws a grenade at me, I survive... but 1) the orbital beacon goes off and torches two people. 2) I get blown into the Pelican and the extraction countdown starts and I can't reinforce

lmao

lol, I used to load up orbitals for some fireworks at the end but now I do it specifically for this retaliatory reason. Load up an orbital that fires quickly and just keep it ready to throw if any pubbies decide they want to get mischevious at extraction. They touch me, my ship touches back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mazerunner posted:

Some of that maybe is the difference in how the players interact with the world?

Like in E:D everyone is operating as individual mercenary/contractors for much larger systems, with largely individual or even competing goals, and the vibe is more like 'live your space life'. So a community goal is kind of like, "ennnh naw I got 50 tons of space rock to haul". But in Helldivers everyone is on the same side and are framed as soldiers in an army, so a request of "fight on this planet for a while to win the war' is embraced.

Wait, what's ED?

All these purple links in Google don't seem to have anything to do with videogames.