Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Building the slanted roof on top of a wall seemed impossible until I realized you need to build two walls and then you can build the slanted roof as you normally would and just disassemble the upper one after. I swear I could not get the slanted roof to connect on a single wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Building the slanted roof on top of a wall seemed impossible until I realized you need to build two walls and then you can build the slanted roof as you normally would and just disassemble the upper one after. I swear I could not get the slanted roof to connect on a single wall.

I see they also kept one of my least favourite features from Craftopia then.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

30.5 Days posted:

Oh also all Pokemon have a randomized set of passive abilities that are 100% random so I got a chicken that has +10% dark attack damage and I got a cat with 4 different synergistic passives that make him the ideal miner

I got a wolf that makes a great mount since it rolled with 20% more movespeed. I have three different early game pals that rolled with +25% mining efficiency and it seems to stack if I have them all on my team. Been keeping them in the team while I mine ore.

My second base got attacked by a wave of the horny lizard pals. I captured two and I think I might have to invest in one because it rolled with +20% more damage dealt and its natural passive is lifesteal for you AND the pal itself.

The same base had a big wave of syndicate come at it. I closed all my large wooden gates and instead of breaking in like I expected them to they just circled around the whole base and left. :confused:

e: There is a duck pal named "Fuack"

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 19, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I don't understand, but I was able to join them correctly on the other half of my house :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love this game already but got my rear end handed to me by the first boss.

Maybe don't try that fight with basic equipment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One tip I saw was to catch everything you can.

Fusing makes your Pals a lot stronger.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Diephoon posted:

My second base got attacked by a wave of the horny lizard pals. I captured two and I think I might have to invest in one because it rolled with +20% more damage dealt and its natural passive is lifesteal for you AND the pal itself.

I was wondering when someone was gonna run into the gently caress-salamanders

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Managed to stumble across where you get this guy:

He hangs around with a few other unique pals down Here.

Unfortunately you need tech level 40 to unlock his minigun.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I don't understand, but I was able to join them correctly on the other half of my house :(

Like this, if I didn't build the second wall on top here the roof would simply not connect to the lower wall.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

MarcusSA posted:

One tip I saw was to catch everything you can.

Fusing makes your Pals a lot stronger.

Apparently you can also catch people and sell them

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I was fully expecting this game to be a janky disaster spectacle that I would have fun mocking for a few hours with my friends on gamepass, but I am shocked that it seems to be getting a really positive reception and I'm genuinely enjoying it after playing a bit.

It seems to basically have taken the promise of Ark and streamlined it into a more accessible package that, like Valheim, correctly realizes that the PvP aspect of these games is terrible and should be ignored in favor of making a fun experience for small groups.

Also Nintendo should be embarrassed about how bad the actual Pokemon games look and run if a tiny japanese indie company can manage this.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 19, 2024

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Scoss posted:

Also Nintendo should be embarrassed about how bad the actual Pokemon games look and run if a tiny japanese indie company can manage this.

I think you can say this when you ignore the context of Pokemon devs being required to iterate on a 2 year (at most) dev schedule, wheres, Palworld is heavily based on their previous game Craftopia, and added the Pals on top of its existing structure. And add in the fact the game worlds are procedurally generated and not a full crafted world like the current Pokemon games have been attempting. Not to mention Pokemon also has to balance 1000+ critters for competitive play on top of all of that.

Alls I'm saying is this is an apples/oranges kind of viewpoint. Even genre-wise, It's more ARK Survival than Pokemon.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to setup my dedicated server and are running into a weird issue where it won't read the config file so just launches with default settings. Has anyone else encountered this and/or have any suggestions? Already confirmed I'm working with the actual config under the server folder, not the example file in the root folder.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015

Scoss posted:

Sadly, I don't think Gamefreak can hear you over the sound of all those dump trucks full of money reversing into their driveway.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I just watched the trailer and I could have totally bought this was a Day Before scam game who stole a bunch of pokemon assets and was conceived by an extremely edgy 15 year old but no, apparently its real and good and alot of people's friend.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Waffle Shake posted:

Sadly, I don't think Gamefreak can hear you over the sound of all those dump trucks full of money reversing into their driveway.

Yeah ultimately Game Freak doesn't iterate on their base game design any more than the bare minimum that they do because they don't have to, people eat up everything they make by the boatload and beg for more. Which is fine, Pokemon is great for what it is, we just really desperately need more games in the space that it leaves empty.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Fancy Hat! posted:

I think you can say this when you ignore the context of Pokemon devs being required to iterate on a 2 year (at most) dev schedule, wheres, Palworld is heavily based on their previous game Craftopia, and added the Pals on top of its existing structure. And add in the fact the game worlds are procedurally generated and not a full crafted world like the current Pokemon games have been attempting. Not to mention Pokemon also has to balance 1000+ critters for competitive play on top of all of that.

I understand all of this.

At the same time, Pokemon is the most profitable franchise in the history of media and Pocket Pair has less than 50 employees according to Linkedin.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wtf a gang of lizard (?) things just burnt my house down and destroyed all my fancy crafting benches

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Wintermutant posted:

I'm trying to setup my dedicated server and are running into a weird issue where it won't read the config file so just launches with default settings. Has anyone else encountered this and/or have any suggestions? Already confirmed I'm working with the actual config under the server folder, not the example file in the root folder.

I had an issue like this which turned out to be that the server writes the config file when it stops. So if you're editing it while the game is open, your changes will be overwritten by whatever the server config is (probably nothing). Try completely shutting it down, then edit the file, then start it up again; see if that does the trick.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Dumud is my special boy

https://i.imgur.com/sN9N7iU.mp4

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

I LOL'd at the part of the video with him "walking" around the camp.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game has some.... interesting shorts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBeJ9IrAKnw

Yeah, that's the official channel.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Goon dedicated server when?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Holy poo poo lmao or should I say lamb!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I remember seeing a trailer for this game around a year or so ago. I just couldn't remember the name of it, just that it was 'What if in Pokemon, you had a gun?'

It sounds like it's doing well, but I'm hesitant to pick it up. The last game I played like Palworld was Conan Exiles, which I picked up again earlier this year, only to drop it again. It was moreso due to things in real-life, but I know I was getting a bit burned out with the crafting cycle. I feel like I should try and finish it first.

On top of that I'm also a little worried that Nintendo/Game Freak might hit the game with a C&D, so if there are rough edges to the game, something like that might prohibit updates. Then again, if Nintendo was going to do that, then it seems like they'd have done it already, so maybe there's no reason to worry about that.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The dev is another Japanese studio, so I have to believe they're fully aware that they are directly in Nintendo's killzone and be confident that they are not actually crossing any lines.

also, lol :

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
THIS GAME IS ILLEGAL!!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I suspect that the Pokemon franchise also has to consider that they need to keep their games very simple and kid friendly. Their target demographic are children, literal children, who are constantly springing forth from the loins of their parents, aging into the bracket where they have basic hand-eye coordination and reading comprehension, and aging out as they get into other activities.

Palworld is for those adults who still want to play with Pokemon but are bored by the simplistic themes and mechanics. And so why not bring in those from the entire crafting survival genre?

This game is going to make a fuckload of money.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This is very much not normally my kind of game but I have enslaved a chicken and it is doing domestic chores for me, and I’m into it.

Also it looks incredible. They should make a regular Pokémon game that looks this good, IMO

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Broken Cog posted:

i haven't seen such a perfect :stonklol: subject in a while

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Anyone tried playing this with a Switch Pro controller? It's what I prefer to use when I play PC games, but it acts super fucky with certain games for no reason I understand.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hot tip: Catch one of the Manta Rays you come across near the coast early on, and research/craft the item to unlock it's ability. It's a better glider than anything you will get for ages.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Diephoon posted:

Dumud is my special boy

well i'm sold

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Got the saddle for Nitehawk or whatever and now climbing stamina doesn't matter lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
didn't think to check during the fight, but can you catch a boss's pal?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Captain Invictus posted:

saw palworld was trending and there were a fair number of posts claiming the devs are into NFTs and AI so it's good that they're nipping that in the bud right quick

https://twitter.com/vintiru/status/1748225230043279638

They're saying that the AI:Art Imposter game is about finding out who is AI but that's not it at all.

All players are using AI to generate a picture according to a prompt. The imposter doesn't get a prompt and that's what they're trying to bluff.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is anyone else having a lot of Crashes? Playing on GamePass, which is a different version than Steam lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Zero crashes in something like 8 hours. On Gamepass. I had one close call where the game froze for five seconds, but it resumed after that. Performance isn't great though. I mean most of the time I'm locked 60, but there are moments where I dip below and I'm only playing at 1080p with a 3060ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Gamepass version is two major patches behind Steam. v0.1 vs v1.2.

The people on the official Discord are a little salty.