Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So far the only technical issue I've run into that's actually bothersome is that anytime I have a menu open the framerate absolutely tanks into somewhere in the single digits.

Absolutely worth the jank for the fun I'm having, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rinkles posted:

didn't think to check during the fight, but can you catch a boss's pal?

Yeah, every monster is catchable!
I have a giant mop guy inside my base chillin' and keeping my fridge cool.

Boss ones seem to often have large negative traits, or my luck is bad. Mop dude happened to get Artisan 3, so my stuff is frozen forever. No more expired food!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
FYI, you can reset freshness by sorting your inventory

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Anybody have a good server yet? I tried to rent one and after playing solo for an hour it got locked due to resource usage lol.
Edit: I'd chip in like 10bux if someone wanted to host/rent something.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 20, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Saw some weird performance or perceived performance problems after cranking up mouse sensitivity, locking the framerate at 60 and turning quickly. Felt like the game was dropping frames or running at 30-40fps instead of 60 even though the Steam FPS counter was reporting a smooth 60 the whole time. Upped the framerate cap to 90 and it runs like I would expect it to at 60.

After Craftopia I expected much worse performance though, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rinkles posted:

didn't think to check during the fight, but can you catch a boss's pal?
The tutorial bosses from the Rayne Syndicate are immune to capture spheres.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Can i just play by myself or with people I wanna play with, or is it an actual MMO where people come and wreck your poo poo?

e: also agree with all the posts dunking on Pokemon, that formula is tired as poo poo. It's just the same game as it was in the 90s with a couple pokemon that are functionally the same as some old ones and a worse frame rate.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

vaginite posted:

Can i just play by myself or with people I wanna play with, or is it an actual MMO where people come and wreck your poo poo?

You can play completely singleplayer, and as far as I can see multiplayer is explicitly invite-to-session or dedicated server so you never ever have to see a stranger.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is there a command to have your pals stop attacking?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Rinkles posted:

is there a command to have your pals stop attacking?

Hold 4 and select an aggressiveness level in the radial menu

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

thanks.

i think that's activated with one of the stick buttons. i don't remember because the game isn't displaying any controller glyphs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

vaginite posted:

e: also agree with all the posts dunking on Pokemon, that formula is tired as poo poo. It's just the same game as it was in the 90s with a couple pokemon that are functionally the same as some old ones and a worse frame rate.

Not only can you play solo but you can change the rate of gathering, XP, whether or not you get raided, etc.

It has the same level of customization as V Rising, which is a lot.

I've been playing standard solo and have had no issues. You get items to build that get you, in effect, unlimited basic resources. They really want you to explore and build goofy poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm not buying the game but watching a stream and seeing the pokemon legends Arceus mechanics (and some of its ui!) refined, expanded and grafted onto a survival game is pretty genius. Fucks me up seeing the pals *stay out* of the ball after you throw them out to gather a resource.

Crazy polished for this early access. It legit looks pretty.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Okay lol I just fell into a 4 hour Palworld hole, turns out they really hit on something with this meme game

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

having some real fun just starting this random jankgame off. Killed myself trying to swim to a random island only to realize I could respawn anywhere. Chose a pretty open area to start off catching some pals.

vaginite posted:

agree with all the posts dunking on Pokemon, that formula is tired as poo poo. It's just the same game as it was in the 90s with a couple pokemon that are functionally the same as some old ones and a worse frame rate.

bought Pokemon Violet for my kid and was impressed at what it is, but also shocked at how terrible the performance gets. It's cool seeing the open world, towns where you can get vanity items for your character, have your Pokemon do the fighting for you and have picnics with them, and an insane amount of Pokemon. Too bad it looks like poo poo and dips to sub-10fps

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
So I've got a pal working planting seeds on a berry plot, but he's not actually visible in-world? I thought you could actually see the pals working.

It works if I deploy a pal from my party, but any pals you have as workers "in your base" via the Palbox don't seem to show up at actual entities in the world at all.

Edit: Okay, I figured it out. HOT TIP: When building a Palbox, keep in mind that any Pals you set as working in your base will be spawned behind the Palbox. So don't build it against a rock outcropping like I did, because all of the Pals I set to work in the base spawned inside the map geometry. This also caused them to not be able to reach the feeding trough.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 20, 2024

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mr Scumbag posted:

So I've got a pal working planting seeds on a berry plot, but he's not actually visible in-world? I thought you could actually see the pals working.

It works if I deploy a pal from my party, but any pals you have as workers "in your base" via the Palbox don't seem to show up at actual entities in the world at all.

That's definitely a bug, you should be able to see pals you've assigned to a base.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Blankspace posted:

so just to make sure i'm not missing anything, from what I can tell this is basically set in a big survival sandbox & the only structures & non-hostile npcs that you'll run into are those built/caught by you or other players, right? there's no npcs or towns or story or anything? and none of that stuff planned?

this is basically like a very early Ark but with Pal-e-mon to automate boring stuff, from what I could tell from gameplay

Your base gets raided by different sorts of enemies every now and then. There are also friendly NPC towns (and bandit camps) but the one I found was pretty small. Did have two different types of merchant though.

By the way, this game is playable in VR with the UEVR mod (first video tutorial I found:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qTbogXkdjM

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Game Pass version seems extremely crash-happy. How's the Steam one for that? I might just drop the cash for it since it's pretty cheap.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

game fun, i need to get some friends gathered for this once the multiplayer is a bit more polished. i hear it's fairly buggier than SP right now.

Bussamove posted:

Game Pass version seems extremely crash-happy. How's the Steam one for that? I might just drop the cash for it since it's pretty cheap.

game pass version is an outdated hosed up build and is missing features

which is unfortunately becoming the standard for game pass versions of games regardless of developer/publisher

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

I've been playing on deck for four hours or so and haven't had any crashes yet.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Played a bunch of the gamepass version tonight. Pretty fun, lots of early access jank, bugs, and crashes, but fun. Game does the very annoying thing were the button that opens a menu does not also close it. This is true for every menu but tab's.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Are you able to buy the game on Xbox to get a more up to date version? Or does it have to be Steam?

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I have a sheep, a cat, and a chicken. This feels like a more chill version of Ark, or a more robust version of Arceus.

Has anyone tried swinging on an NPC? As soon as I punch a guy cops just spawn out of nowhere and start shooting me. Had one spawn underwater even.

Is first person mode a thing that I can't find?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Nucular Carmul posted:

Are you able to buy the game on Xbox to get a more up to date version? Or does it have to be Steam?

afaik, only steam has the latest version right now. from what i can tell, the microsoft certification process is a huge pain in the rear end so it usually takes longer for updates to get added to those versions.

from what i've seen/been told, game pass version is missing DLSS, has completely different balancing, crashes more, and is missing an exit game button (lol)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can't name your character in the gamepass version either. I am Player 855. I'll deal with it though because I ain't paying 27 bucks for this early of a game.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Thanks everyone gonna grab it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Also very time I crash I get an error trying to reload the game that I have to spam start over and over again hoping it'll work this time.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mr Scumbag posted:

because all of the Pals I set to work in the base spawned inside the map geometry. This also caused them to not be able to reach the feeding trough.

This will also just kinda... happen. Especially to the bigger models, for some reason. I had a Foxparks that somehow got stuck very much inside some rocks, nowhere near the spawn point, below my base, because the area had expanded over a cliff. The Caprity that was tending my berry patch somehow ended up lodged in the trees on top of my lumber yard. Just constant issues like that.

But oh wow is it a fun loving game. Especially once you listen to the "Capture 10 of everything" advice, the exp difference is massive.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I've put in 3 or 4 hours with several restarts and no crashes with the Steam version.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

steam version is definitely way more stable, i played for like 8 hours earlier without a single crash

also has anyone gotten pals to transport stuff from the resource buildings to storage containers like the quarry and logging building? they'll move stone and logs from naturally spawning rocks and trees they break but they seem to just let them pile up inside the buildings.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

steam version is definitely way more stable, i played for like 8 hours earlier without a single crash

also has anyone gotten pals to transport stuff from the resource buildings to storage containers like the quarry and logging building? they'll move stone and logs from naturally spawning rocks and trees they break but they seem to just let them pile up inside the buildings.

Transporting seems to be busted for me. Anytime a pal is moving something, they will drop it to do literally any other task, including other transport tasks. So I will come home to my base with items scattered all over the ground and a bunch of glitched out pals walking back and forth between them. Base AI generally seems not great but you can pick stuff up while mounted so, whatever.

Palworld is a ton of fun, although I don't like the fact that they make you do the pokemon thing of balling it while it's as low as possible rather than letting you do it after you win, because the upshot is that 99% of the time I just turn my pals passive because my personal weapons are obscenely powerful anyway, my pals will ruthlessly murder everything they fight without regard to what I'm trying to do, and the game incentivizes you to constantly be catching pals. It would be cool if I could throw my pals at stuff and let them go nuts more often but whatever.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Palworld is a ton of fun, although I don't like the fact that they make you do the pokemon thing of balling it while it's as low as possible rather than letting you do it after you win, because the upshot is that 99% of the time I just turn my pals passive because my personal weapons are obscenely powerful anyway, my pals will ruthlessly murder everything they fight without regard to what I'm trying to do, and the game incentivizes you to constantly be catching pals. It would be cool if I could throw my pals at stuff and let them go nuts more often but whatever.

This is my biggest criticism of the game right now too. Currently I just don't use my pals in combat at all except for when I'm using one as a mount and can manually shoot with it. I imagine that'll change once I start fighting bosses but I'm a long way off from that.

It's fun as hell otherwise though.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This game kicks rear end.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Had a fun time setting up an early base, I appreciate that monsters spawn in places that feel relatively specific. In the current-gen Pokemon games, there's so many types spawning all over the place it all kinda blurs together.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Did 5 hours of coop yesterday and had a blast. This is fun!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I played a bit in regular and then dumped down to casual mode.

Casual is way faster / less grindy just because you get double the resources and have double the catch chance of normal so it's easier to make more balls and you don't use as many. I've had a few guys that have taken 10+ balls on their own on normal, which is kind of annoying.

Not sure what difficulty I'll end up going with. Maybe something custom where I can set things in between and make night last half as long

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Lt. Cock posted:

I have a sheep, a cat, and a chicken. This feels like a more chill version of Ark, or a more robust version of Arceus.

Has anyone tried swinging on an NPC? As soon as I punch a guy cops just spawn out of nowhere and start shooting me. Had one spawn underwater even.

Is first person mode a thing that I can't find?

A wandering trader guy came to see me after the first night. He was stuck trying to leave so i beat him with my club. He didn't do anything to fight back. Left some gold and 2 items? Definitely not his whole inventory of course.

(Edit: no traders have come by again but no idea if that's a consequence or rng. I'd bet the latter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

ShadowMar posted:

It almost seems like that's on purpose because of how big the storage is on those buildings, I haven't been able to get them to move any of it either.