Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

well, a lot of things happened in quick succession: I captured and butchered about 7 alpha suzakus before I finally got the drat legendary shotgun schematic, I crafted all the legendary weapons, then I went to take on the centaurs

necromus got caught by a really lucky 85% health 7% chance legendary sphere after knocking him down with a rocket

which made paladius an absolute pushover without the threat of necromus shooting lasers at me constantly

I just catch them at night lol.

Paladius sleeps. Necromus doesnt. Can do one then the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah but they're supposed to be the final boss pal-wise, right? I wanted a challenge and I got it, once I upgraded my equipment past "die in 3 hits".

But yeah if I hop back in and want to catch more of them, I'll likely go that route

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah but they're supposed to be the final boss pal-wise, right? I wanted a challenge and I got it, once I upgraded my equipment past "die in 3 hits".

But yeah if I hop back in and want to catch more of them, I'll likely go that route

You can also cook carbonara and shove it down your throat for a 20% defense boost before blasting, that might help you survive one more hit.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQx7CGCA4Yc

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Note for anyone running a dedicated multiplayer host through a service like g-portal or nitrado. There is a 'tickrate' setting that by default is set to 10, you should raise it to 60 (but not go past 60). This has a big influence on keeping Pal and NPC spawnrates regular.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Have to start over yet again because my food supply got all hosed up and all they are eating is cotton candy because there's nothing else except cotton candy doesn't satiate so all the farming comes to a halt.

Any ideas for a better start?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i loved my start on the southwest island. lots of great vistas to set up shop at. i built near the ruined temple and made a second base at an iron ore dump so close the two could see each other by light across the sea.

i havent played since beating the game but man its render distance is something else.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mayveena posted:

Have to start over yet again because my food supply got all hosed up and all they are eating is cotton candy because there's nothing else except cotton candy doesn't satiate so all the farming comes to a halt.

What happened to your food supply? Making sure you have coverage of the farming skills (watering/planting/gathering) and a couple of berry patches should be enough to make sure pals aren't starving.

If you don't want to restart you could go kill a dozen lamballs and fry them up, should last long enough to get farming going again. Maybe swap out your low sanity base pals for fresh copies.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

misguided rage posted:

What happened to your food supply? Making sure you have coverage of the farming skills (watering/planting/gathering) and a couple of berry patches should be enough to make sure pals aren't starving.

If you don't want to restart you could go kill a dozen lamballs and fry them up, should last long enough to get farming going again. Maybe swap out your low sanity base pals for fresh copies.

I was trying to breed some pals, and didn't realize I'd taken out my only gatherer. I went off to get more pals and came back to this disaster. Everything needed gathering and there was no flour left. Maybe I'll try the lamballs, that's a good idea.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mayveena posted:

Why restart? Just reduce your workforce by putting the pals back in the box, then build up your food supply from there. Ranching can work well - you can use chickens to get eggs or that one grass pal to get berries, or cows for milk, etc. You can also farm if you use the low ranking pals that don't eat much - they should be able to get some work done until more substantial food is available. But I'd personally stick with ranching for a while, build up a nice stack of crappy food, then go from there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Why restart? Just reduce your workforce by putting the pals back in the box, then build up your food supply from there. Ranching can work well - you can use chickens to get eggs or that one grass pal to get berries, or cows for milk, etc. You can also farm if you use the low ranking pals that don't eat much - they should be able to get some work done until more substantial food is available. But I'd personally stick with ranching for a while, build up a nice stack of crappy food, then go from there.

That's a good idea as well. I have some 'good' pals who eat a lot and that's putting too much pressure on the food supply as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Most popular pals, I can't believe Lanover didn't make the list :)

10. Pengullet

9. Cattiva

8. Relaxaurus

7. Daedream

6. Lamball

5. Quivern

4. Anubis

3. Katress

2. Depresso

1. Chillet

https://gamerant.com/palworld-best-...kQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks everyone for the help. My base is humming right along now, after taking the advice given here. The base has 15 pals (my computer is at the very bottom of recommended specs so no more than 15 for me) now as well. I thought I was in a death spiral, so happy to still be playing with my existing base!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

My farm process in early stage was two berry planters, and I'd just toss the berries into a campfire to get cooked in order to provide food that'd help with SAN. Once I got up to wheat & cookpot, I'd put down two more wheat planters and a mill for flour, and cooking changed from baked berries to the jelly sandwiches. Now that I'm up to three bases, I only really need one dedicated agriculture base with the two berry & two wheat planters, and it has been sufficient to keep all my bases stocked. My only enemy to well-fed & happy pals are the remaining pathing fuckups that the devs have to deal with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Honestly don't sleep on salads. They give work speed bonuses, and are apparently so filling that pals consume almost none of them. I have three stacked planters each for tomatoes and lettuce at one of my bases, and that's currently feeding all three of my bases. You can also just buy the ingredients at one of the settlements as well which makes it real easy to stock up if you find yourself short for some reason.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just buy a shitload of eggs and milk from the wandering merchant in my base and churn out endless carbonara for my pals. and sometimes pizza

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

You mean people DON'T ride around on a mount and trample Lamballs for sustenance??????? :bighow:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:hellyeah:

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4kasLrZug

Happy April Fools Day :)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Rooby
:d: :d: :d: :d:
Chief Of The Herd

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Seems extremely grindy to get a pal to 4 stars. 100+ pals of the type you want needed right? Congrats on the success, don't mean to yuck you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you're going to 4 star a pal you're basically guaranteed to be breeding them for traits anyway, which makes getting 100 pretty easy actually. It is dumb that it's that high, but also that's like 5 breed cycles

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, as breeding nearly feels like work for me, especially the cakes. Someone told me when I first joined this thread that the end game was about cake and they have certainly been correct. I don't even understand the relationship to traits so I guess I'll be passing on that. Which is totally fine, I'm super enjoying the game as a casual.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mayveena posted:

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, as breeding nearly feels like work for me, especially the cakes. Someone told me when I first joined this thread that the end game was about cake and they have certainly been correct. I don't even understand the relationship to traits so I guess I'll be passing on that. Which is totally fine, I'm super enjoying the game as a casual.

Basically just take two pals of one species who have traits that you like and let them breed. Traits that the parents have are more likely to be passed to offspring. Offspring have a chance to inherit parent traits and a chance to generate new traits. Rinse and repeat (swapping in the new pals with better trait sets) until you have what you desire.

Even if you don't go crazy with it, breeding a bunch of working pals to have better traits for working can help substantially. Same with pals you intend to use for combat.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Basically just take two pals of one species who have traits that you like and let them breed. Traits that the parents have are more likely to be passed to offspring. Offspring have a chance to inherit parent traits and a chance to generate new traits. Rinse and repeat (swapping in the new pals with better trait sets) until you have what you desire.

Even if you don't go crazy with it, breeding a bunch of working pals to have better traits for working can help substantially. Same with pals you intend to use for combat.

Thanks for that simple and clear explanation, I really appreciate it. Now I understand what I should be doing and that makes way more sense.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pe0t-KY0To

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The other use for breeding is filling out your paldex. Put random mixed-species couples in the farm with a single cake, if they pop out something you don’t have give them nine more cakes to fill out the new species completely. Can be a lot cheaper than making enough high-level spheres to wild-catch 10 of a species.

Final use is mass-producing tons of a specific species to use as Condensation fuel.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/Palworld_EN/status/1775736701337714811

Holy poo poo what a patch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah holy poo poo piss goddamn.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

・New "Recovery Meds" items have been added. Using these meds will slowly recover your HP over time.

・Added a new passive "Mercy Hit". Pals with this passive cannot reduce enemy HP below 1 when attacking.
・New item "Ring of Mercy" has been added. When wearing this ring, you cannot reduce enemy HP below 1 when attacking.

・New building "Ore Mining Site" has been added. This mining site allows you to produce ores from the comfort of your base!

・Kelpsea can now produce Pal Fluids at the ranch
・Dumud can now produce High-Quality Pal Oil at the ranch

・You can now allow/disallow certain work for base Pals at the Monitoring Stand
・Crafted items are now transported from crafting facilities. Selecting "allow transport" when crafting will result in Pals transporting those items to chests when finished

:letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

First major patch addresses basically 90% of the issues I had with the game, well nobody can say they're going to take the money and run even if I wouldn't have blamed them

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

drat, there are a lot of nice QOL improvements in that patch.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Hot drat what a patch. And they announced a new island with new pals too, later this year. These guys are on fire.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

quote:

We are planning a larger, more content-packed update for summer 2024.
Enjoy never-before-seen scenery and thrilling adventures on a new island, home to many new pals.
In addition, we plan to add a large amount of new content including new buildings, weapons, and tower bosses.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

It's unreal how many good changes they've crammed into the first two patches of this game

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Do the pals actually work now when nobody is at the base?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo that's a good patch

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

quote:

You can now allow/disallow certain work for base Pals at the Monitoring Stand
This was such a straightforward, obvious solution I did not actually expect it to happen. This is going to make base management light years ahead of where it originally was.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It's a beautiful thing. I had plans for the day that just went out the window!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

good stuff. might hop back in, still havent completed the pokedex