Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Are you sure you want to keep using our website in the browser? we have an app instead! you can get push notifications and personalized ads that you can’t block. also we’re gonna request access to your microphone and Bluetooth for some reason. please say “yes” when it asks if you want to allow it to track your activity. also we’re gonna send you a shitload of emails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

Are you sure you want to keep using our website in the browser? we have an app instead! you can get push notifications and personalized ads that you can’t block. also we’re gonna request access to your microphone and Bluetooth for some reason. please say “yes” when it asks if you want to allow it to track your activity. also we’re gonna send you a shitload of emails

reddit used to be tolerable with 3rd party apps but they kicked them off the platform and now there's a lovely official app that's somehow worse than actually going to reddit.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

“tolerable” is pulling a lot of weight there

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

anyway I opened this thread because gmail asked me yet again if I wanted to download chrome for iOS. no I don’t stop asking. I also don’t want to use the web view thing that doesn’t have my cookies so I have to tap to view in safari anyway. Apple should ban that garbage

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I love all these little lovely web browsers masquerading as apps. I want to collect them all

NOT!!!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

anyway I opened this thread because gmail asked me yet again if I wanted to download chrome for iOS. no I don’t stop asking. I also don’t want to use the web view thing that doesn’t have my cookies so I have to tap to view in safari anyway. Apple should ban that garbage

lol this reminds me of my favorite loving bullshit app flow:

> reading an article on a news site's app
> click on a link embedded in the article
> the link is for another article on the same site
> instead of opening in the app, it opens in the app's captive browser
> the captive browser doesnt have your session cookie
> unless you log in again on their lovely captive browser, you cant read the article because its paywalled

gently caress you!!!!!!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

post hole digger posted:

lol this reminds me of my favorite loving bullshit app flow:

> reading an article on a news site's app
> click on a link embedded in the article
> the link is for another article on the same site
> instead of opening in the app, it opens in the app's captive browser
> the captive browser doesnt have your session cookie
> unless you log in again on their lovely captive browser, you cant read the article because its paywalled

gently caress you!!!!!!

name and shame the app

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

lol at apparently using the dedicated gmail app

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

endless apps

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

name and shame the app

bloomberg :argh:

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 21, 2024

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
this poo poo drives me insane. no, gently caress you. I will never download your app. I would rather die. I will use your lovely website out of spite

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

endless apps

the big chain restaurants in america started calling appetizers apps because of the app store. this was a long time ago

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

apps and 'zerts bro!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

this poo poo drives me insane. no, gently caress you. I will never download your app. I would rather die. I will use your lovely website out of spite

maybe take a break

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

graph posted:

the big chain restaurants in america started calling appetizers apps because of the app store. this was a long time ago

I’m still on anytizers.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah this is obnoxious tracker bullshit and apple should terminate it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Silver Alicorn posted:

no I don’t stop asking

the people responsible for changing every request that used to have "yes" and "no" buttons into "yes" and "ask me later" should be on trial in the hague

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

people who use the app are 16% more likely to look sexually desirable to others!

> Hell yeah

> no im a loser take me outta here

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

git apologist posted:

maybe take a break

it’s too late. I’m posting this from the awful app. the terrorists have won

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

agreed op

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i literally use the instagram website instead of downloading the app. in like 2021 it just didnt work at all for like 8 months. you still cant even drag text or rotate a photo you add to your story or whatever its called. i dont care. its a matter of honor. gently caress you!!!!

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 21, 2024

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

git apologist posted:

maybe take a break

more like poo poo apologist

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

an angry quad.... for an angry man.......

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

graph posted:

these are the apps that we need

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zlodo posted:

I love all these little lovely web browsers masquerading as apps. I want to collect them all

NOT!!!

i particularly like the local 311 app, which is just a list of buttons that send intents to open various pages in the native phone browser

also like how the geolocation makes zero effort up front and always just defaults to the geographic center of the US

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

steve was correct that everything should just be in browsers but no one listened

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

steve was correct that everything should just be in browsers but no one listened

big app got to him. makes you think.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

frankly i prefer baps

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

frankly i prefer baps

same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSJmJ4r4bxs

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol remember the one they kept on asking you to download whenever you went on a vbulletin forum?

i think it was tapatalk or something like that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah tons of forums use tapatalk as a mobile interface

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

thankfully this forum was yolo forked long ago

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its loving ridiculous that streaming apps are literally webpages, and they load in mobile browsers, and yet somehow don't work in mobile safari

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean they probably do i'm just too lazy to figure out a workaround

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

its loving ridiculous that streaming apps are literally webpages, and they load in mobile browsers, and yet somehow don't work in mobile safari

you get what you deserve when using slowfari

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah tons of forums use tapatalk as a mobile interface

never used it but awful.app is better

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

if apple pulled their head out of their rear end and just adopted chromium it’d all work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's never better in the app

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Yelp's website detects if you're on a mobile device and just redirects you to the app store if you try to do anything

honestly if you're that eager to get me download your app I am now 100% suspicious and won't use it

not that I use apps anyway

but if you really want to check Yelp on your phone you can use the Edge app and tell it to request teh desktop version of pages which I think just changes youruseragent and then Yelp is happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
saying "it's better in the app" is also saying "our website sucks that bad"

:thunk: