Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Problem description: Some time within the last couple of weeks, my GPU (an ASUS RTX 3070) has started causing my system to crash, or it's crashing itself. Some time between about 10 and 20 minutes into gaming, my monitor will go blank, display "no input", and then stay black, but with the backlight on. When this happens, any audio quits, although occasionally, trying to click a mouse button results in a single "beep" from what I assume is the BIOS speaker. Occasionally, Windows will reboot, but more often than not, I have to hard reboot the PC, at which point it reboots normally.

Attempted fixes: Checked my drivers are updated, reinstalled them from scratch, and watched the GPU temperature. According to two programs (the Windows task manager, and the GeForce Experience overlay), the GPU temperature is reaching somewhere in the low 70's (I think 74 was the highest I've seen), before the screen went blank, so I don't think the card is overheating itself, and the fans appear to be running normally.

I've also checked and cleaned the inside of my PC case, which was only slightly dusty, and the card doesn't seem to be blocked with anything.

Neither my GPU nor CPU are overclocked at all.

Recent changes: None
--

Operating system: Win10 home, 64 bit

System specs:
Intel Core i7-13700K
32GB ram
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
2tb SDD/4tb HDD
Corsair 850w PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4843 and then reinstall the latest GPU drivers.

If that doesn't help then I'd use onboard video temporarily and see if it remains stable.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Edit:

I appear to have solved the issue by completely removing the video card from my PC and then reinstalling it.

The inside of the case was pretty clean, so all I can figure is that there might have been a flaky connection between the card and the motherboard or one of the pins on the power cable.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 21, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It could be a poo poo cable too... That you positioned right by replugging it. Make sure the display cable is fully socketed, I've seen thick cables get in the way.

Or thick cable plastic / rubber prevents things from seating completely. Be sure it's not a dumb thing