Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Negostrike posted:

The actor that plays Quan Chi looks batshit crazy it's hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KceAscg1XF8
oh yeah i beat this game too, with the unlimited lives cheat of course, the platforming sections and the last boss fight are borderline impossible otherwise. good bad game.

i played it on a PSX emulator from a physical disc i tracked down on ebay. the disc still sits on my shelf next to duke nukem and half-life lol, maybe its time i boot ip up again.

as with any mortal kombat make sure to turn up your bass so loud that when the "FINISH HIM" tone plays things rattle off your desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Might be the only game where you can lose by committing sexual harassment,

well at least they didnt promote u for it

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I got stuck in Florida for 2 months without a car or anything to do and the laptop I had could only play a handful of games.

Without anything else to do I 100%'ed the incredibly mediocre Outriders.

It flopped so hard that less than 10% of players have the achievement for owning the expansion pack

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Without anything else to do I 100%'ed the incredibly mediocre Outriders.

And I'm guessing you did that completely solo? Brutal. I mean I'm a sucker for pretty much any kind of looter shooter but yeah, "incredibly mediocre" is a good way to describe that one.
I played through it with two friends and it was at least bearable that way but even then, by the time we got 2/3rds through the campaign, we were pretty much over it. I'm not surprised to hear that very few people bothered to get the expansion for it.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Whorelord posted:

Most recently Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It's writing is all over the place and it's far far too big and bloated but I liked the protagonist and something about going around ancient Greece in your ship is good chill vibes.

I remember the Wild West level of this begins with you just kicking the poo poo out of a Mexican guy just having nap lol

Ah yes, I forgot Time Commando also has a very 90s view of race, it isn't ideal.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Beefed Owl posted:

Ah yes, I forgot Time Commando also has a very 90s view of race, it isn't ideal.

A very French view of that as well

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

homewrecker posted:

And I'm guessing you did that completely solo? Brutal. I mean I'm a sucker for pretty much any kind of looter shooter but yeah, "incredibly mediocre" is a good way to describe that one.
I played through it with two friends and it was at least bearable that way but even then, by the time we got 2/3rds through the campaign, we were pretty much over it. I'm not surprised to hear that very few people bothered to get the expansion for it.

Yup, solo dolo

I try to find something good about any game but this game was so generic across the board. I thought the story was okay until I found out the story was just lifted from the book series

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Fighting Elegy posted:

My opinion is that no Mario game except for Hotel Mario should be on a list of games "notoriously bad", even if some games might have disappointed me.

Paper Mario Sticker Star is no joke one of Nintendo's foulest well selling stinkers. it's worse than bad, it's just downright insulting

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

cumpantry posted:

Paper Mario Sticker Star is no joke one of Nintendo's foulest well selling stinkers. it's worse than bad, it's just downright insulting

Oh yeah, I knew there was one I was struggling to come up with when I saw that post. I don't think I've played a game with a larger gulf between high production quality and terrible design. I can't believe how much of a downward shift that was for the series, and they've struggled to get me back on board ever since.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Beefed Owl posted:

Judging from screenshots I think this is a game I had. It may have come with a VooDoo or VooDoo 2 card I purchased for a 486 I had. It was so hard and without fun I never got past prehistoric after playing it a few hours. So more than 5 minute but not much more.

ChappedRaptor
Jan 14, 2022
I owned and played Duke Nukem Zero Hour for far too long. I really thought I was just bad at the game and I wasn't able to understand how my brain couldn't wrap around the character handling and the N64 controls. How could I be bad at the new and improved Duke Nukem? Turns out I was just a stupid little kid who didn't understand that the game was a clunky rushed cash grab piece of poo poo.

So many hours lost on that heap of junk.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Suspekt Device posted:

I also played an "educational" adventure game called Manhole (lol) that my parents had on their lovely mac when I had exhausted my NES collection. The lack of any objective or reward in this thing was maddening and boring, and made it feel like a fever dream. Imagine Myst but there's no puzzles and you just go around clicking on poo poo. I desperately searched for ways to win but it just took me in endless circles. gently caress this game. I wish I had kept it buried in my subconscious I feel legit bad just thinking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOTq1EpV5o&t=360s

I'll always cut The Manhole massive slack because that was Cyan's precursor to Myst.

I do wonder if it ever had an ending, but I think it was always just meant to be a slideshow where little kids could dick around.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Custard Undies posted:

I just finished reading what I assume is the same book :)

Was a great read, and yes, they knew how much/popular their games were with pirates because they were selling a ton more of the hint books than the games. :xd:

Pirating was way easier back in the day though.

Hey friend who owns Sim City, can I borrow the 3.5" disk?

Yes.

Excellent, I own it now!

I remember X-Wing would have you find a word in the manual either when you install it or every time you started the game. That was the first anti-piracy measure I saw I think.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I remember X-Wing would have you find a word in the manual either when you install it or every time you started the game. That was the first anti-piracy measure I saw I think.

i had a friend that lost his manual and would call my house telling me what page to go to. i think you had to match up 3 little symbols at the bottom of the page or something

my dad finally got sick of it and made a copy of the manual lol.

either that or he borrowed my disks and never got a manual idk, both are possible. i just remember the phone calls + dad making a copy

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I knew there was one I was struggling to come up with when I saw that post. I don't think I've played a game with a larger gulf between high production quality and terrible design. I can't believe how much of a downward shift that was for the series, and they've struggled to get me back on board ever since.

theyre actually remaking Thousand Year Door so hopefully this marks the end of an awkward era for the paper thin guy

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

if they remade Super Paper Mario to play out its deviantart story with the gameplay of its two predecessors, we may just end up with a Notoriously Good rear end Game

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

i had a friend that lost his manual and would call my house telling me what page to go to. i think you had to match up 3 little symbols at the bottom of the page or something

my dad finally got sick of it and made a copy of the manual lol.

either that or he borrowed my disks and never got a manual idk, both are possible. i just remember the phone calls + dad making a copy

:haw:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Negostrike posted:

The actor that plays Quan Chi looks batshit crazy it's hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KceAscg1XF8

Rich Divizio was OG Kano, Baraka, Kabal and the best Quan Chi

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

cumpantry posted:

if they remade Super Paper Mario to play out its deviantart story with the gameplay of its two predecessors, we may just end up with a Notoriously Good rear end Game

I actually liked that one on my second try, going in knowing how it was going to play, and assuming we were gonna get right back to the usual rpg mechanics afterwards. But yeah, hopefully they actually will use TTYD as a start to get back to that stuff.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it always makes the worst first impression and follows with a much better second, my experience was the same. it's just so disheartening to go from a cool rear end rpg to a strange flash 8 platformer. sticker star certainly helped its reputation afterward lol

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Pirating was way easier back in the day though.

Hey friend who owns Sim City, can I borrow the 3.5" disk?

Yes.

Excellent, I own it now!

I remember X-Wing would have you find word in the manual either when you install it or every time you started the game. That was the first anti-piracy measure I saw I think.

For me it was Out of this World/Another World, which I think was the one that had a pair of concentric code wheels pinned on top of one another by a brass brad

My dad rented it (remember when you could rent computer games?), disassembled the wheel, ran copies of it, reassembled it, and boom, now I could struggle with that hard rear end game until I was able to beat it instead of racing to finish within the rental period

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

ChappedRaptor posted:

I owned and played Duke Nukem Zero Hour for far too long. I really thought I was just bad at the game and I wasn't able to understand how my brain couldn't wrap around the character handling and the N64 controls. How could I be bad at the new and improved Duke Nukem? Turns out I was just a stupid little kid who didn't understand that the game was a clunky rushed cash grab piece of poo poo.

So many hours lost on that heap of junk.

this one I did blindly buy at a thrift shop 20 years after and ditch it probably after 5 minutes, thank you for your service

I've had the mercenaries 2 commercial in my head for a few hours now, anyone got trauma from playing that one?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I played through all the Fable games including the godawful third one where Peter Molyneux, claiming that in-game menus took you out of the immersion, made it so every time you wanted to swap weapons or change spells or even just check what you had, you had to teleport to your hideout or whatever to run through rooms containing your poo poo while John Cleese constantly tried to sell you DLC.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Redneck Rampage gets a lot of poo poo from critics, but i remember playing through the whole goddamn thing.
I do not however remember it being very bad, but that was a long time ago...

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
when i was a kid we had exactly 4 games for my parents' NES

Mario Bros (no Duck Hunt), Megaman 3, RC Pro Am, and...... Mickey's Safari in Letterland

guess which one i played more than the others combined

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Frogger The Great Quest

also I loving loved Elf Bowling as a kid to the point it baffled me that people thought it was bad

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Police Quest: SWAT. PQ4 was terrible but at least was playable, for some reason the designers of this FMV mess decided point & click was too easy and to implement a bizarre word selection menu during missions (with a generous grand total of three missions.) you can’t just click on the battering ram then on the gate, gotta open the LASH menu and from the many options select Ram, one, two, then corner, and only those four words or no one understands what you are talking about.

Endless bad FMV movies to “train” you on bizarre unintuitive controls are bad enough, but it’s the only game I’ve played where an instructor yells if you try to skip a scene you’ve already seen. Guessing that was meant to pad the playtime as like I said, three missions total & no plot.

Oddly the fourth game in the SWAT series would be one of the greatest of all time.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

you a comedian? i thought this was lapd swat

and

two to the body, one to the head

are forever burned into my mind

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

RavenousScoot posted:

I've had the mercenaries 2 commercial in my head for a few hours now, anyone got trauma from playing that one?

Mercenaries 2, the game where the final boss fight is a quicktime event? It's a deeply silly, immensely buggy game, but I have fond memories of it.

Cluster of enemies giving you trouble? Call in a B2 to carpet bomb them.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Robert Deadford posted:

the game where the final boss fight is a quicktime event

also describes Halo 4, another good fit for the thread

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

cumpantry posted:

also describes Halo 4, another good fit for the thread
Played that poo poo on console with a buddy who I co-opped all Halos with and we found it miserable, then we redid the whole series on the Steam Collection (much smoother), and on the hardest difficulty, and he insisted we also had to do 4 again on that

Spoilers: fighting bulletsponge enemies with terrible weapons which are the only ones they drop isn't any more fun when they have twice or more the health and damage

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Robert Deadford posted:

Mercenaries 2, the game where the final boss fight is a quicktime event? It's a deeply silly, immensely buggy game, but I have fond memories of it.

Cluster of enemies giving you trouble? Call in a B2 to carpet bomb them.

I only ever saw the commercial and a video that was just clips of bugs and weirdness in it, sounds like it was more just kind of mess but a genuinely fun one

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Simply Simon posted:

Played that poo poo on console with a buddy who I co-opped all Halos with and we found it miserable, then we redid the whole series on the Steam Collection (much smoother), and on the hardest difficulty, and he insisted we also had to do 4 again on that

Spoilers: fighting bulletsponge enemies with terrible weapons which are the only ones they drop isn't any more fun when they have twice or more the health and damage

Agreed, I really didn't like the halo 4 campaign.
Though to be fair I haven't even mildly enjoyed a mainline halo campaign since reach. So 4, 5, infinite. I'd consider those all bad but I've played more than 5 minutes of them.
I met my partner because of infinite being poo poo though so I can't complain too much.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I gave Animal Crossing: New Horizons way too much of my life. Considered the worst of all the Animal Crossings and yet it held me captive for like a year. It has the absolute WORST online play of any game I've ever experienced, hands down. Only one person can enter and leave the island at a time from the airport and EVERYONE present on the island has to watch their countdown flying in, which stops whatever you're doing. If anyone leaves outside the airport, or god forbid their internet kicks, the whole session is spoiled and you end up back at your island, less anything you picked up on your trip. They didn't have the a-team on that logistics for this one, it was all cozy designs.

I think it was Stockholm Syndrome and pandemic madness that kept me playing

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 26, 2024

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I gave Animal Crossing: New Horizons way too much of my life. Considered the worst of all the Animal Crossings and yet it held me captive for like a year. It has the absolute WORST online play of any game I've ever experienced, hands down. they didn't have the a-team on that logistics for this one, it was all cozy designs.

It's ok, but they really cut out all of the stuff that made animal crossing good. Older entries had absolutely batshit character interaction and dialog. This one didn't have any of that.
Villagers used to be really loving mean, or really flirty. "Yeah you deserved to be stung, idiot" or that one... cat I think, suggesting she'd leave her bf for you, lol.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

I gave Animal Crossing: New Horizons way too much of my life. Considered the worst of all the Animal Crossings

considered the worst??? by who??? wtf, not when city folk exists. that poo poo was the ds game with dlc for $60. new horizons kicks rear end, i love my island

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

I gave Animal Crossing: New Horizons way too much of my life. Considered the worst of all the Animal Crossings and yet it held me captive for like a year. It has the absolute WORST online play of any game I've ever experienced, hands down. Only one person can enter and leave the island at a time from the airport and EVERYONE present on the island has to watch their countdown flying in, which stops whatever you're doing. If anyone leaves outside the airport, or god forbid their internet kicks, the whole session is spoiled and you end up back at your island, less anything you picked up on your trip. They didn't have the a-team on that logistics for this one, it was all cozy designs.

I think it was Stockholm Syndrome and pandemic madness that kept me playing

covid was probably critical to the success of new horizons, it was an absolutely perfect game for a pandemic. flawless release timing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I know ACNH had its issues in characterization and online implementation, but it really did feel like a life saver coming out when it did. I played it incessantly for a year or so after it came out, it was so much fun with an active goon community doing turnip tracking, trading villagers, hosting events, and all that. I tried coming back to it for a bit later on and it was, eh, fun enough but nothing to write home about. It really needed that online community aspect to get past its flaws.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

acnh is dope as poo poo and i dont want to hear it aint. you got something to say say it to my face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I’ve beaten Halo 4 about three times and it’s much better in co-op. Any section where you’re not forced to use the forerunner guns is great but sadly that’s one third of the game.