Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Speaking of Battletoads, the Game Boy version was HELL. Besides sometimes requiring quick reflexes on the blurry little LCD screen, the first maze level (there may have been others, I never found out) required such pixel-perfect timing and jumping skills that you could do everything exactly right, never get hit, and still time out inches from the finish line.

I played it until insanity set in because I could hardly believe that such crappy design decisions could exist in a portable game about fighting amphibians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mirage posted:

Speaking of Battletoads, the Game Boy version was HELL. Besides sometimes requiring quick reflexes on the blurry little LCD screen, the first maze level (there may have been others, I never found out) required such pixel-perfect timing and jumping skills that you could do everything exactly right, never get hit, and still time out inches from the finish line.

I played it until insanity set in because I could hardly believe that such crappy design decisions could exist in a portable game about fighting amphibians.

I also had battletoads for gameboy and can confirm it was total bullshit and add that I replayed the first two levels so many god drat times before asking for a game genie for my bday just so I could beat it :(

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Tail of the Sun

I remember you had to like feed and grow your little caveman society while hunting mammoths for their tusks to build a tower to the sun.

But I always reached a point where my tower wasn't complete and I couldn't find any more mammoths, so I assume the moral was that I hunted them to extinction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail_of_the_Sun

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I beat MK Mythologies: Sub Zero at least twice. The combat's an interesting idea at least, but the platforming's terrible.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

I played a lot of Shadow the Hedgehog. To be fair, it's pretty cool when you're ten and want something """mature.""" Even Sonic curses in the game.

It's bad, even by Sonic standards. The level design sucks, the missions are repetitive, and it has ten endings, nine of which are what ifs, which defeats the purpose of having the player choose whether or not to be good or evil.

I was not a very bright child.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

LuckyCat posted:

Tbh I didn’t find out about the hate until I’d beaten the game. I did not go into it with story in mind and I don’t remember if you could skip cutscenes but I definitely did if you could. And even in-game story stuff, my brain probably would have picked out the necessary gameplay bits and not even processed the other bits. I remember thinking it was a fun arcadey feeling game but I also remember thinking it could have been skinned as a new IP or literally anything else and it would have been fine (and also not gotten all the hate, maybe, idk and idc).

Now that I think about it, I’m definitely going to replay it soon and see if it still holds up (re: gameplay) or if my mind was even more diseased than it is now.

The cutscenes where you get to watch the badass space bounty hunter whine and cry like an emo 12 year old were unskippable, at least on the first play through.

Now I'm remembering more of the gameplay and all of the associated bullshit, like having to go into first person to fire missiles, which sounds ok at first, but it's very clunky in practice as every time you do it, it inevitably takes you a moment to get your bearings, and you can't actually move while in first person, so you are basically a sitting duck.

There was some bullshit with the last boss of the main game too, as there is a cutscene, then you are suddenly in the queen Metroid's stomach and have to lay a power bomb, except you have never used them up to this point, the game doesn't tell you that you can suddenly use them now, and you have no idea how to use them as you activate them differently than in every other Metroid game. Meanwhile your health is draining fast. Now I'm remembering wanting to throw the goddamn controller across the room during that fight because I just kept dying over and over.

It's flooding back and I take back what I said: the gameplay in Other M was loving garbage and there is a reason why nobody cares about it.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 25, 2024

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Pneub posted:

I beat MK Mythologies: Sub Zero at least twice. The combat's an interesting idea at least, but the platforming's terrible.

MK mythologies is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4GlbXaCro&t=508s

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite part of metroid games is where I get locked in place in an area and hunt for clues on the screen by looking for interaction points.

Its like someone knew everyone loved the scanning visor and set out to make you hate it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The scanning poo poo was cool for exactly one game and then quickly became one of my most hated game mechanics when it was popularized. I hate having to bring up overlays in games because you invariably either constantly switch between that and the regular view or just leave it on.

Even games I love like RDR2 have that dumb poo poo where you press a button and trails come up. I can't stand that poo poo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lmao:

It's timestamped. Watch like 10 seconds folks.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pneub posted:

That reminds me of Batman Forever for the SNES, that terrible game with the fighting mechanics from Mortal Kombat coupled with platforming.

Within 2 minutes of starting the game, you came to a dead-end and were basically stuck. You might barely be able to see a hole in the ceiling that you keep trying to jump through with no success. Then you discover that the select button fires a grappling hook, but it doesn't seem to do anything. You have to know:
  1. That the hole in the ceiling is there (very hard to see, especially with the amount of overscan TVs had back then)
  2. That you can fire the grappling hook straight up by pressing up immediately after select
  3. The extremely precise spot where you need to stand for it to work
I'd wager that a lot of people who rented the game never saw beyond the first screen.

Even if you had Nintendo Power telling you how to get past the dead end, the rest of the game was terrible, as the controls were awful, every enemy took way too long to fight, and the platforming was unbelievably clunky. My brother played that game all weekend and never managed to finish the first level.

e: Oh, and it was a cartridge game with loading screens.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 25, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was a Sega kid for the most part and a whole lot of games were better on the Genesis than the SNES. Oh you got Mortal Kombat on the nintendo kiddie platform for children... no blood. There were a few exceptions like TMNT: Turtles in Time. I had it on sega and my friend had it on SNES and I'd say that his was better.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Serge Painsbourg posted:

I played a lot of Shadow the Hedgehog. To be fair, it's pretty cool when you're ten and want something """mature.""" Even Sonic curses in the game.

Where’s that drat FOURTH chaos emerald!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I loved Robin Hood Conquest of the Longbow by Sierra as a kid and watched a lets play recently what the gently caress even was that game lol

I used to call the help/hint line, my dad was cool with it but my mom was not so he'd cover for me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
5 should be spelled out in the thread title.

I owned ET for the Atari 2600 growing up. I remember it being inscrutable, but honestly I found any Atari 2600 game that was more than just shooting at things to be pretty confusing. I was like four, five, six years old.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was a Sega kid for the most part and a whole lot of games were better on the Genesis than the SNES. Oh you got Mortal Kombat on the nintendo kiddie platform for children... no blood. There were a few exceptions like TMNT: Turtles in Time. I had it on sega and my friend had it on SNES and I'd say that his was better.

Maybe but the Sega one was still a blast

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

mst4k posted:

I loved Robin Hood Conquest of the Longbow by Sierra as a kid and watched a lets play recently what the gently caress even was that game lol

I used to call the help/hint line, my dad was cool with it but my mom was not so he'd cover for me.

Lol I’m reading a book on the history of Sierra Online because a YouTube video about Conquest of the Longbow mentioned it. It’s fascinating, apparently the earliest Sierra hint line was just Ken & Roberta Williams’ home number. And the strategy guides were absurdly lucrative to the point where they’d sometimes sell more guides than the game itself.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol I’m reading a book on the history of Sierra Online because a YouTube video about Conquest of the Longbow mentioned it. It’s fascinating, apparently the earliest Sierra hint line was just Ken & Roberta Williams’ home number. And the strategy guides were absurdly lucrative to the point where they’d sometimes sell more guides than the game itself.

Lol that owns.

And yeah I believe that, piracy has some deep roots.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Here's Quan Chi's actor with a Pepsi.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

vin deezhole

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Serge Painsbourg posted:

It's bad, even by Sonic standards. The level design sucks, the missions are repetitive, and it has ten endings, nine of which are what ifs, which defeats the purpose of having the player choose whether or not to be good or evil.

I played a bunch of terrible Sonic games over the pandemic, out of historical interest but also once again because I have a fascination with bad games. I grew to really like 06 and I think Heroes has its moments, but Shadow remains awful. After one and a half playthroughs I at least started to understand how the game wanted to get played and got into a bit of a flow, but even that couldn't save it from some of the worst level design in the entire series. Terrible!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

laserghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgWoXu5fhn0

Bulletstorm, my first and only pre-order, bought the hype, enjoyed playing this, but some time ago watched my friend play through this on the stream and cringed very hard, such a dumb, meathead game with writing made by sociopathic boozeholics. I remember even Seanbaby commented how bad the writing is.

gently caress, there's a VR version now???
watch out, if you pay enough attention to how sociopathic FPS games are you might not like them anymore (and become a sociopathic online sim racing nerd)

that being said ill play Deus Ex over and over again as a total rear end in a top hat until i die

what a shame

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Serge Painsbourg posted:

I'm a huge Sonic defender and already admitted to liking Sonic R itt. I can assure you, Shadow the Hedgehog is the worst game in the series, hands down. Just a boring/frustrating slog.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Maybe but the Sega one was still a blast

Absolutely. The difference wasn't a game changer. It just looked a bit better and there may have been some different levels or something. I don't remember.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The_Franz posted:

That reminds me of Batman Forever for the SNES, that terrible game with the fighting mechanics from Mortal Kombat coupled with platforming.

Within 2 minutes of starting the game, you came to a dead-end and were basically stuck. You might barely be able to see a hole in the ceiling that you keep trying to jump through with no success. Then you discover that the select button fires a grappling hook, but it doesn't seem to do anything. You have to know:
  1. That the hole in the ceiling is there (very hard to see, especially with the amount of overscan TVs had back then)
  2. That you can fire the grappling hook straight up by pressing up immediately after select
  3. The extremely precise spot where you need to stand for it to work
I'd wager that a lot of people who rented the game never saw beyond the first screen.

Even if you had Nintendo Power telling you how to get past the dead end, the rest of the game was terrible, as the controls were awful, every enemy took way too long to fight, and the platforming was unbelievably clunky. My brother played that game all weekend and never managed to finish the first level.

e: Oh, and it was a cartridge game with loading screens.

I played the megadrive version and it was the exact same. However, I did have a cheat code to one-hit kill the enemies and that made it playable. I made it to the final level but couldn't work out what I was supposed to do there.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Failson posted:

So, so many crappy Sierra games.

This one particular I sunk a bunch of time into:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rise_%26_Rule_of_Ancient_Empires

It was eight bucks at Costco. Civ II was $40. I thought I was being real smart.

gently caress me, I was wondering why this looked to goddamn familiar, then I looked up the OST and I finally have a name for two music tracks I've had bouncing in my head for bloody decades! Seriously, thank you for posting this- I must've been 12-13 when I first played this way back when, and I can still remember being annoyed I had to mess about with sliders instead of simply assigning units of citizens :v:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I just finished reading what I assume is the same book :)

Was a great read, and yes, they knew how much/popular their games were with pirates because they were selling a ton more of the hint books than the games. :xd:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

bradzilla posted:

Goon playing a universally beloved game: *dies* Wow this game design sucks!! Anyone else seeing this?

This is me wrt Hollow Knight (fail knight)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

osu

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

emSparkly posted:

I'm a huge Sonic defender and already admitted to liking Sonic R itt. I can assure you, Shadow the Hedgehog is the worst game in the series, hands down. Just a boring/frustrating slog.

I remember a level in the middle of Shadow where you're suddenly, literally in the internet and either have to destroy the internet's core or help Rouge (who just happens to be there) to find Chaos Emeralds. It was so bizarre and out of place it looped back around to being cool, and was the only good part (the actual gameplay was still probably butt)

Also :lol: at the motorcycles/etc that were slower than just default running

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

RavenousScoot posted:

Also :lol: at the motorcycles/etc that were slower than just default running

Series where hedgehogs can get up to the speed of light and regularly run over mach 1.

Let's put them on a regular motorcycle.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 25, 2024

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

emSparkly posted:

Here's Quan Chi's actor with a Pepsi.

I'm not on drugs Shinnok, all I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Most recently Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It's writing is all over the place and it's far far too big and bloated but I liked the protagonist and something about going around ancient Greece in your ship is good chill vibes.

Beefed Owl posted:

Time Commando

It came with a video card I bought. It's not the worst game, but I put more hours into it than I probably should have.

However, some of the music loving slaps. Listen to this madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-vAXdferik

I remember the Wild West level of this begins with you just kicking the poo poo out of a Mexican guy just having nap lol

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

bradzilla posted:

Goon playing a universally beloved game: *dies* Wow this game design sucks!! Anyone else seeing this?

that one retsupurae with the LP'er incredulously saying "Game Over?? I have to start all over again???" to Sonic 3

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Police Quest: Open Season. Adventure game where you are trying to find a serial killer in early 90s LA. For what had been a competent adventure game series this was a disaster, with one of the dullest heroes in fiction clicking his way past stereotypes. Might be the only game where you can lose by committing sexual harassment, if you click on the pixelated blob of a coworker too many times.

In most adventure games if you try to use the wrong inventory item on a character, you’ll get a generic “he doesn’t want that,” makes sense as having unique voiced dialogue is unnecessary and would require hundreds of extra lines most players would never hear. Not in Police Quest though, the desk sergeant will explain exactly why he doesn’t want your crime scene tape, wallet, or spare change. Such a weird use of effort that would have been better used not having a Silence of the Lambs ripoff plot.

Game made with cooperation of pre-Rodney King riots LAPD, including disgraced former chief Daryl Gates. Odd moment in gaming history for this guy to be advising on how to portray cops & minorities (have the Black rapper talk like an album cover, and the Chinese store owner should know less than ten words) as one of the worst riots in US history largely because of his agency were about to start. Although in mild defense of Sierra apparently some of the development staff thought this was a bad idea.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Body Harvest was legit good tho. Helped that there really was almost nothing like it at the time bar a few older and crustier PC games.

Fog aside it was a fun one all in all

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

bradzilla posted:

I remember a few people I know bouncing off of elden ring because of that big rear end in a top hat on the horse outside of where you start the game. Bro, just walk around him lol.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Extra Large Marge posted:

I'm not on drugs Shinnok, all I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi

I'M NOT KRAZY!!!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The actor that plays Quan Chi looks batshit crazy it's hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KceAscg1XF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

gently caress me, I was wondering why this looked to goddamn familiar, then I looked up the OST and I finally have a name for two music tracks I've had bouncing in my head for bloody decades! Seriously, thank you for posting this- I must've been 12-13 when I first played this way back when, and I can still remember being annoyed I had to mess about with sliders instead of simply assigning units of citizens :v:

You're welcome!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Police Quest: Open Season. Adventure game where you are trying to find a serial killer in early 90s LA. For what had been a competent adventure game series this was a disaster, with one of the dullest heroes in fiction clicking his way past stereotypes. Might be the only game where you can lose by committing sexual harassment, if you click on the pixelated blob of a coworker too many times.

In most adventure games if you try to use the wrong inventory item on a character, you’ll get a generic “he doesn’t want that,” makes sense as having unique voiced dialogue is unnecessary and would require hundreds of extra lines most players would never hear. Not in Police Quest though, the desk sergeant will explain exactly why he doesn’t want your crime scene tape, wallet, or spare change. Such a weird use of effort that would have been better used not having a Silence of the Lambs ripoff plot.

Game made with cooperation of pre-Rodney King riots LAPD, including disgraced former chief Daryl Gates. Odd moment in gaming history for this guy to be advising on how to portray cops & minorities (have the Black rapper talk like an album cover, and the Chinese store owner should know less than ten words) as one of the worst riots in US history largely because of his agency were about to start. Although in mild defense of Sierra apparently some of the development staff thought this was a bad idea.

Sierra messed up a lot of young computer-havers.