Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Black Lighter posted:

Every decade has a season that can be summed up as The Ravens Win The Super Bowl, I Guess. This is that season.

2012 was absolutely not this. They were an afterthought going into the postseason and had just been totally embarrassed by the Broncos at home the month before. I think they were something like 100-1 odds going into the postseason

People kind of lump them in because the 2010 and 11 Ravens were serious contenders but that 2012 team wasn't near as good. They just got hot at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Black Lighter posted:

What you're describing is a very The Ravens Win The Super Bowl, I Guess situation

Those were both from the 4th seed. All the times we've been a high seed we end up losing in ridiculous ways like holding eventual SB MVP Peyton Manning to zero TDs but can't score, Billy Cundiff, 2019 Roman calling 60 pass plays meltdown and Derrick Henry.

A Ravens year will be when we're like the 6th seed

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sometimes its weird like that. I wish I could like the Vikings more but I always think of this annoying kid from school 20+ years ago who would always scream RAVENS SUCK at me whenever I wore a Ravens shirt and I still cant truly like them because of him

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

MJeff posted:

Well that's your fault for getting held in the endzone in 2012. :colbert:

(Also Jim not having Kaep run it a single time jesus gently caress)

Ngata was out with injury and we were bleeding yards. They could have easily ran it but inexplicably gave us a chance.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Whichever team wins the Chiefs Ravens game will have truly earned the title of AFC champion.

Whichever team wins the NFCCG will still be a team that got shithoused by the Ravens.

I dont see why people think the 49ers/Ravens result is bound to happen again. That was heavily turnover-aided. Not saying the Ravens cant win(although I think they wouldnt) but it would be a game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

It was heavily turnover-aided because the defense put Purdy in absolute hell and can do it again

Yeah but they are going to adjust their gameplan in response. Thats why I hate hate hate that that stupid christmas game even happened.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kalli posted:

I want Lamar to win because it'd be great if the entire offseason was just people getting mad at teams for not making him any kind of offer last year.

Narrativewise it feels like Lamar's year, absolutely. Plus the team knows we got extremely lucky in late free agency which took us from probably having a tepid pass rush to a great one. This is the time for the Ravens to do it.

He could still win in the future but itll never have quite the impact of doing it right now after last offseason.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 23, 2024

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Coldforge posted:

Nope, the Ravens will be rightly favored by 14 points, should easily win the game, and everyone in the media will say so for two straight weeks.

See thats why I wish that stupid game didnt happen. Cause that was the position the Ravens were in going into that game and it played into our favor. If that game didnt happen it might at least be even. Thats why ill feel a slight bit of relief if the Chiefs beat the Ravens and the 49ers win but I still want us to win even if the SB loss is going to happen cause Lamar deserves a chance at it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think KC has the edge because Baltimore is weak against the run and KC has become a really strong power running team.

But I also don't know how much of that is me overreacting to Ravens posters. I really like the Baltimore LB room so it's strange they've been soft against the run

We're not really weak against the run just middling(14th in yards allowed this yr). And were great against Houston against a crap rush game though. Not really sure why it's dropped off though. But I know Roquan Smith hasn't been getting high grades for PFF whatever that's worth.

Kind of excited to see what Trenton Simpson+Roquan can do together next year. He had a pretty good game against Pittsburgh.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 23, 2024

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Honestly if the Ravens defense plays like it did against Houston nobody will beat us. Stroud did about as good of a job as I've ever seen avoiding a constant pass rush. If you had told me going in that the Ravens would record zero sacks and zero turnovers I would have assumed Stroud had a huge day and we probably lost.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

N: 90% chance of heavy rain in Baltimore Sunday.

V: I loving hate rain games.

Man that's annoying. It wasn't showing anything like that the other day

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

My biggest problem with the 49ers is if they win we get a Superbowl re-run. Ravens/49ers had all different players and the Harbowl thing, but it's still pretty recent history. Chiefs/49ers, hell. We did that just a few years back with basically all the same dudes. The biggest difference is no Tyreek, and we upgraded to Jimmy G Premium Edition.

Hey that's my line.

I guess Tucker would be the only player from that game wouldn't he? But yes I agree I want a fresh matchup for franchises.

Chiefs/Ravens is pretty new for the playoffs and has never been played here plus it's conference title game at home.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Mandrews was a full participant at practice today so we can blame the vibes and weather and refs and Harbaugh and interview distractions and refusal to get Sisqo if the Ravens lose and by god I am going to, loudly and annoyingly.

We need Harbaugh to step down after this year so bad. We have to win it all so there's a chance of that and we can retain MacDonald as HC

Reid vs Harbaugh has always been a mismatch but Harbaugh's got two solid cronies this time who can hold their own.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Where he belongs.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Andrews and Likely if we actually start using them together is a killer of a combination that will give teams fits. I've been saying since we drafted Likely and he was looking good that this should be our plan and it's ridiculous we haven't made a serious effort to make this our main passing offense. We better do it now. I'd definitely take Andrews+Likely over current Kelce.

WR though we have Stonehands Bateman, Old Beckham, Flowers who is pretty decent but his stats aren't turning any heads, and Agholor who is a good 4th option. Rashee Rice I think wins that category for the Chiefs on his own. Beckham makes great catches here and there but isn't going to be the main focus of any defense. Bateman will get like 2-3 catches per game. So I don't see how the Ravens win here.

RB is about equal. Hill is a pretty good player and Edwards is a great short yardage guy. Cook is a wildcard. I don't know too much to say much about the Chiefs group but Pacheco seems to be doing well.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 26, 2024

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

We have no idea what Andrews will look like. I don't see how it's out of the question that he's effective and even if he's the second option I think he's better than Kolar. Teams will have to pay attention to him and that will open up Likely for more.

Agholor is probably the best 4th wideout in the team's history but that's not saying much since usually that guy gets no targets period.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I absolutely loving hate these 70 degree January days. Absolutely disgusting.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Near-70s is a nice change of pace from the week+ of freezing temps and snow and ice we've had down here.

Kelce's better than Andrews but Kelce + Whoever the gently caress is TE2 isn't gonna match Andrews + Likely. Chiefs have two good pass catchers in Kelce and Rice, Ravens have at least twice that (Andrews, Likely, Flowers, OBJ) and have a more dynamic running game compared to just Pacheco. Ravens should have the edge on offense, especially with the way Lamar is playing and how the tertiary Ravens offensive players are a lot better than thr Chiefs'. Not to mention I feel the Ravens have a good edge as well on both defense and ST.

Basically, if the Ravens lose this one, they need to fire John Harbaugh.

We won't fire Harbaugh. That's a big reason we need to win because maybe he'll finally step down with two SBs and a HOF case(very undeserved but whatever) and MacDonald can take over.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I don't know if Harbaugh is gonna step down, but since it looks like the Ravens will have Monken/Macdonald another year it probably doesn't matter, I think the Ravens will still be a major force next year. If any team looks strong enough to two-peat a Super Bowl, the Ravens are the best-looking team to do so since the Chiefs after their first SB.

As much as I hate to admit it, if Mahomes can beat this Ravens team, he probably deserves to win the Super Bowl.

Like hell I'd root for anyone to beat the Lions, of course.

I don't see us in great position next year. We're losing at least Clowney and Van Noy and also Queen and probably Madubuike unless we franchise him. We were supposed to have a bad pass rush going into the year that was miraculously solved by late free agency additions. We'll be competitive but it won't be anything like you're seeing right now.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hamilton against Kelce will be interesting for sure

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I'm pretty sure we can afford Kyle Van Noy if we want him

but also consider that Mike Macdonald built a defense that led the league in sacks after picking Jadeveon Clowney and Kyle Van Noy up off the street

I've considered that which is a big reason why I don't want him to leave.

Also anybody who is seriously contributing to pass rush won't be a cheap option.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Clowney and KVN are both seriously contributing to the pass rush and were cheap options.

this is my point - the Ravens' defense is not built around elite edge rushers

We got them so late because nobody thought they were going to do much of anything and Clowney I don't think ever even played a full season until this year. That's why I called it miraculous. For two guys to be signed so late one DURING the season even and putting up career sack totals is extremely fortunate. Could any random guys have done the same thing? Probably not. We just got insanely lucky.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

If they signed Clowney and he put up a career year, hell yeah what a pick up. Signing KVN off the couch and HE has a career year? something else is going on and I'm pretty sure it's scheme related

So why didn't Oweh and Ojabo go off like this then?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

Ojabo was put on IR in like week 3. He was playing well before that. Oweh has had a decent year. He's reliably getting pressure and still got a share of sacks.

That's not how I remember it. Ojabo made one very good play against the Texans in week 1 but looked like an absolute disaster aside from that and had a terrible preseason as well. Then we signed Van Noy who was a very pleasant surprise.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I was trying to remember Ojabo's name the other day, dude fell off the radar fast

He's really never been on the radar. Year 1 for him was always going to be a wash as he was recovering from the achilles tear at the combine and then this year he got hurt again. So maybe I'm being too harsh on him. But I think it's probable he won't amount to much at this point.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

drat we need Toney out there

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

I feel like if the Lions win, they'll have an easier time beating KC than the Ravens

I mean considering they beat the Chiefs this year and got blown away by the Ravens....

But I think another game between them and the Ravens would be close.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

chamois posted:

the lions would get rinsed by either afc team but they're also going to lose to the 49ers

If the 49ers play like they did against the Packers or even close to that I wouldn't count them out. They are lucky to still be in it right now. However that doesn't mean they'll play as badly this week. The Ravens have looked dreadful as recently as the Jacksonville game but we put out two great efforts right after.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I'm more nervous about the 49ers/Lions game than I am the Ravens game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Of course you are. This determines whether you guys end up the villains or the good guys in the SB.

I'm not worried about that idea so much as I'm happy being either. But if we lose I'd rather lose to the Chiefs than anyone else in the AFC because at least we just lose to the team that beats everyone. I felt the same way about the Patriots in some ways. But what I'm worried about is like I've said how I don't want the Ravens to play the 49ers for multitudes of reasons and I'm 90% certain we lose the game.

Plus if we lose we dodge the 49ers potentially. Or having to be the team that lost in the SB to the Lions.

You know what. I might actually want the 49ers to win now. Because if we lose to the 49ers whatever. But if we lose to the Lions we hear about this storybook season crap for the rest of history and have to see us losing over and over. But the 49ers whatever you lose to a team with like 10 all-pros

Oh but to get rid of another team's undefeated SB record!! It's tempting to try. I can't decide.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 27, 2024

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Y'all are broken. I'd love a Lions/Ravens Superbowl. If the Ravens win...then the Ravens won the Superbowl! If the Lions win we get the best story in Football since the Giants beat the undefeated Pats. That's one hell of a consultation prize.

See I can't be like that. If the Ravens lose to the Lions I'd hate them forever and hate any reference to that stupid game we lost to them. And it's almost the storybook is writing itself with these games. The Justin Tucker game and this year's blowout. So they have an AFC nemesis they have to beat. And those games will now be soiled as part of the buildup to the Lions overcoming them and winning it all. I can't stand the thought of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

You may have an unhealthy outlook at sports. Yeah, it sucks when my team loses, but sometimes it's something cool, like Joe Burrow's first win, or Lamar's first playoff win, or the Patriots destroying us in the snow. It's nice to be able to enjoy the sport in general and not just from the outlook of my own team. Each team has their own cool narratives going on and I like watching all of those develop.

I can do that if my own team's not involved. If the Ravens lose and the Lions get to the SB I'll be rooting for them all the way and be able to enjoy that. But not if it's the Ravens. I can't.

It's not every day you get a shot at the Superbowl and we have our best QB ever and want him to get one. If he doesn't and that was the only true chance he ever got at it? I'll never forgive them.

In fact that can be our motivator. Destroy them for revenge for this potential timeline I've created. For all the times I've had to watch the Ravens lose to the Lions. Infinite times even in this short period. Destroy them!! :D