Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Lions are the clear good guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Coldforge posted:

Cool, now do the 1983-84 season championship game.

No need to worry about that, my friend. You aren't facing the Chiefs!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The writers seem to be ignoring week 1 call backs this year. The veteran Ravens beat up on the upstart Texans week 1 in Baltimore. The divisional round had those same Texans, strengthened over CJ Stroud's hero's journey rookie year, returning to Baltimore to avenge their inaugural defeat. They still got pasted.

If anybody has the narrative juice it's the blue collar cast off Lions beating two supposed elite juggernauts in SF and KC/BAL in route to their first ever Championship. Now that's a sports doc in the making.

Personally, I think it's great writing then the good guys get smashed and destroyed unambiguously.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

How did the 49ers become the heels? They're eternally opposed to the cowboys ffs.

enemy of my enemy is my friend,

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Okay, fair, he is a statistical outlier. But if you purposely choose to use that outlier, what does that do to statistical value? Isn't that still fishy? I forgot everything from probabilities and statistics in college so I need a little push in the right direction here.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What do you call three Chiefs fans frozen in the snow?

A good start.

Fro - O - O - O - zen?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Freaquency posted:

You’re assuming a motive when there’s no evidence for it

Yeah, understand now. I reread the thread and it all makes sense. The Ravens are hosed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

rjmccall posted:

He’s not an outlier. He’s presided over a lot of home-team losses (against the spread), but you’d expect to see a few refs with records as far from 50:50 as he is just from random chance. It is not evidence that he actually favors away teams.

People are bad at understanding random distributions. They expect random sequences to “look random”, and they expect random distributions to be way “skinnier” than they actually are. If you flip a coin ten times, people will tell you that HHTTHTTTH is very likely but HHHHHTTHHH is very unlikely, but of course the odds of getting those exact sequences are exactly the same. While the overall odds of getting exactly 5 heads are higher than getting 8 or more heads, people will say that exactly 5 should happen most of the time while 8 or more should happen almost never; in reality the odds are 24.6% and 5.5%. To put it differently, if you have twenty people do 10 flips each, it would be pretty weird if you didn’t have at least one person with 8 or more heads or 8 or more tails, but people will still look at that person and wonder if they’re cheating somehow.

Thank you for the example

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Black Sunshine posted:

We can at least bond over soul crushing Superbowl defeats

Is this what will unite the AFC West

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The 49ers bad touched the Broncos. Sure, it was before my time, but ancestral blood-hatred is one of the best kinds of hate. :cheers:

e:

Lions>>>>>>>Ravens>>>>>>>>>>49ers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chiefs

only because the Ravens pain is more recent

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 24, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Coldforge posted:

No, I was trying to contextualize and clarify what you said about the 49ers winning a lot.

If winning games is your only barometer then that's totally fair, but that's a very "hang the banners" kind of winning. If by winning you mean winning championships, then both teams have had past success that's far enough in the past to be irrelevant to a modern victory.

I stated a view based on what you posted, and it's entirely possible it was irrelevant to your intention, but that wasn't clear to me. That's why I didn't try to distort what you said in order to make an argument against it, I simply said what I said about franchise victories.

All victories matter post-merger because every ring must be kissed

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Coldforge posted:

It was still the NFL, and they had hardware.

"world champ" is a lie and you know it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

california pizza is the best pizza

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Ravens has moved to -4

SF to -7.5

Can imagine Dan Campbell giving a “They’ve got us right where we want ’em. We can shoot in every direction now.” speech to prepare for this

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

i think im gonna do fried chicken on sunday. wings and drumsticks (objectively the best parts of a chicken) and i think i'll kinda do a reverse sear sort of thing. dry brine or marinade the night before and get them low and slow in the oven (the fan on my masterbuilt smoker is a piece of poo poo right now) and when it looks like the skin is pretty rendered, i'll bread em in flour + corn starch and fry them in a wok. then empty the wok and do szechuan peppers, scallions, chilies and pass the chicken through again. need to decide if i'm doing onion rings or fries with them, or both

bring it to the chat thread

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

I think both Kelce and Andrews are good at football

Two things both being true! What is this madness??

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

I'm more nervous about the 49ers/Lions game than I am the Ravens game.

Of course you are. This determines whether you guys end up the villains or the good guys in the SB.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Referring to Detroit's 0-0 Super Bowl record as "undefeated" is a good bit and one that I'm stealing if they don't make it this year.

technically is the best kind of correct

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Accidentally scheduled D&D du ring the Chiefs/Ravens game but I'll be all ears during the Lions/Chiefs one. Woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Fate Accomplice posted:

what works for me:

1. listen to effectively wild
2. read the SAS thread
3. go to games when my favorite team's in town
4. watch as much postseason as I can

this way I keep up on the news, enjoy the in person experience, and watch when it gets exciting

I used to do this when I lived near Oakland. :rip: A's :(