Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When I was a young adult in the 1990's I acquired 3 or 4 Maglites over the years. I still have all of them, and I've updated all the bulbs to LEDs. But they're massive, heavy, and require big-rear end batteries. Now I have a number of small flashlights in drawers and tool bags, etc, and they're just as bright as any of my Maglites, including the big honkin' 4-D-cell job next to my nightstand. I think at this point the only reason I still use the Maglites is because they're too big and heavy to lose, so I always know where they are. I go though little tiny flashlights like I go through socks. Thank God they're cheap.

Anyone out there still using their Maglites? They're so well-made I don't want to get rid of them, but there's no practical reason to not totally replace them with modern tools. All of my other flashlights are like the size of my finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I got a little husky flashlight that loving owns and ruined my vision because i always test the brightness of new flashlights by pointing it in my eyes and turning it on

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Stay in your lane somethingawful; https://www.candlepowerforums.com/

Jan 23, 2024
all the time as i'm searching for a campsite on the sidewalk

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i use my phone

Jan 23, 2024
best of luck finding an outlet. the pros carry a 19lb laptop all day

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I carried one specifically because I could cave a motherfucker’s head in when I was doing commercial pest control early in the morning.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Maglites are garbage because of that dark spot in the middle of the beam. Why would I want to not illuminate whatever it is that I’m directly pointing at. Makes no sense

https://fenix-store.com/collections/newest-products/products/fenix-pd36r-pro-2800-lumen-flashlight

This is what I use for the few times a year I need a flashlight better than my phone. It’s small enough I can just keep it in my nightstand, charges with usb c, keeps its battery inbetween uses, and lights up the entire room on its brightest setting

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Nah, I got one that vibrates now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Great for knocking some heads around

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Lincoln posted:

When I was a young adult in the 1990's I acquired 3 or 4 Maglites over the years. I still have all of them, and I've updated all the bulbs to LEDs. But they're massive, heavy, and require big-rear end batteries. Now I have a number of small flashlights in drawers and tool bags, etc, and they're just as bright as any of my Maglites, including the big honkin' 4-D-cell job next to my nightstand. I think at this point the only reason I still use the Maglites is because they're too big and heavy to lose, so I always know where they are. I go though little tiny flashlights like I go through socks. Thank God they're cheap.

Anyone out there still using their Maglites? They're so well-made I don't want to get rid of them, but there's no practical reason to not totally replace them with modern tools. All of my other flashlights are like the size of my finger.

The reason the d-cell maglites exit is for security guards who legally/policy-wise aren't allowed to carry a weapon. Its not a huge-rear end solid aluminum club, its a huge-rear end solid aluminum flashlight.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Since when do you have to put D-cell batteries in a fleshlight?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I still use mine for a dildo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Anyone have a recommendation of an LED conversion kit for one of those two-AA-cell Mini Maglites? I still have one in a box somewhere that was a gift from my grandmother when I was a kid, but the bulb shattered forever ago. I know there are drop-in LED light heads for them but most of them look like cheap junk. Is there a good one that'd let me bring this light back to life and into the 21st century?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I can't imagine most people have a use for the "household" flashlight anymore. Your phone is basically physically attached to you at this point, and outside of camping or something like that the little minis will solve whatever problems your phone can't.

I do have a decent Anker flashlight I bought when I would sometimes pick up security shifts at the park. It was basically just a makeshift headlight for our golf cart with broken headlights (and no, they still don't work 6 years later) since there was zero lighting out there after dark. But even though it's like half the size of one of those old double d battery jobs, it's still inconvenient enough that it never really leaves the tornado shelter.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Stupid Baby posted:

I can't imagine most people have a use for the "household" flashlight anymore. Your phone is basically physically attached to you at this point, and outside of camping or something like that the little minis will solve whatever problems your phone can't.

I do have a decent Anker flashlight I bought when I would sometimes pick up security shifts at the park. It was basically just a makeshift headlight for our golf cart with broken headlights (and no, they still don't work 6 years later) since there was zero lighting out there after dark. But even though it's like half the size of one of those old double d battery jobs, it's still inconvenient enough that it never really leaves the tornado shelter.

I have lots of flashlights, but they're all LED, and some are solar powered or hand cranked. I don't own any with batteries.

I lose power often enough. I've got 4 of these sweet combo night light/flashlight charger and holder. Nightlight comes on at night, there's always a charged flashlight nearby whenever needed.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

You put locktite in your what?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
As others in the thread have already mentioned, Maglites are premier plausible deniability head boppers

You hold it from the front so you can whip the heavy back end at people more quickly

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Bought the fleshlight conversion kit, gave it a whole new life

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

What would I possibly want to see in the dark, anyway?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Maglite really dropped the ball when newer and cheaper flashlight manufacturers started making better and smaller LED flashlights while Maglite coasted by on Boomers, people who didn’t know any better thinking they were getting a premium flashlight that was still laughably incandescent, and police/firefighters/paramedics who still had a commercial account. By the time Maglite started making LED flashlights and discontinued their incandescent line, it was too late. You can’t find them in any store anymore when they were loving ubiquitous in any flashlight aisle.

I remember it was a big thing to see gift sets of them at Walmart and Kmart back in the day. I bought a couple of LED C-cell sets of them on clearance for next to nothing after Christmas some 12 years ago. They sit in my cars just in case, but I don’t regularly use them anymore when I’ve got a light on my phone. I also keep a 3 D-cell LED conversion in my house, also for just in case and power outages.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Once had a guy ask me if he smashed another guys head in with a mag lite whether it would be first degree murder or just manslaughter. He was stone cold serious and I said " I don't think you should murder him at all". So I basically saved a guys life.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

We had a maglite in the house growing up and honestly even as a small child I pretended it was a weapon. I'd play swing that thing around like I was fighting off a villain or something.

Wanna say it was a 5cell D or something it was rediculously big.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

sporkstand posted:

Bought the fleshlight conversion kit, gave it a whole new life

AA or AAA?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
maglites give me a feeling of boyish glee that can only be described as "I have a flashlight :)"

it's like holding a walkie-talkie or digging a big hole in the ground or cutting wood. I can't explain it and I don't want to

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I have a few 2xAA ones with LED kits in them kicking around. I had one of the big ones but I think it got sold with one of my old cars years ago.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I put an led bulb in my 3 d cell unit and stuck it in the door pocket of my truck

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Grey Cat posted:

We had a maglite in the house growing up and honestly even as a small child I pretended it was a weapon. I'd play swing that thing around like I was fighting off a villain or something.

Wanna say it was a 5cell D or something it was rediculously big.

A goon studying THE BLADE

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I got a big ol D-cell for you op

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

A Stupid Baby posted:

phone flashlights suck poo poo

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Thesaurus posted:

What would I possibly want to see in the dark, anyway?

Ever walk your dog at night? Oh -- want to see

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol yes when the power goes out I want to use my phone’s limited battery to operate a lovely “flashlight” instead of this simple dedicated device that doesn’t drain my only source of potential communication.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lol yes when the power goes out I want to use my phone’s limited battery to operate a lovely “flashlight” instead of this simple dedicated device that doesn’t drain my only source of potential communication.

how many 5 gallon buckets of prepper food do you have in your basement

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

how many 5 gallon buckets of prepper food do you have in your basement

You can’t put a price on preparedness op

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Yes, it serves standby duty in the miscellaneous-tool bucket in the garage.

I’ll bet it’s lonely.

Alone in the cold
Maglite faithful till the end
My light is still good

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

i've got a pair of flashlights that run off a single 18650 battery and they're incredibly bright, and the flashlight weighs about as much as the battery you put into it. Maglight went with the boris the blade philosophy.

Maglights are solid. you'd have to try awfully hard to break it. but yeah they're so heavy.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm shocked that Maglite once made a 7-D-cell flashlight. That's like carrying a flagpole.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
You need 7 D cells? I can go to a hoarder house and find 20

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Lincoln posted:

I'm shocked that Maglite once made a 7-D-cell flashlight. That's like carrying a flagpole.

that's roughly 3 lbs worth of batteries + the weight of the flashlight itself. it really was like they wanted to give people a baseball bat and call it a flashlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
They're probably in the freezer to 'save them for later'