Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lincoln posted:

I'm shocked that Maglite once made a 7-D-cell flashlight. That's like carrying a flagpole.

Harvey Danger originally wanted to title the song "Maglite Sitter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Magpie Fleshlight

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
D-cells? How bout D’s nutz

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You can upgrade a C or D-cell maglite to LED for like $6, but I have a pile of mini-maglites around here and for some reason the LED kits for those are 2-3x more expensive. It's a much better idea to buy a $10 flashlight on Amazon that will be twice as bright.

Maglites are the Zippo of flashlights.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hollismason posted:

Once had a guy ask me if he smashed another guys head in with a mag lite whether it would be first degree murder or just manslaughter. He was stone cold serious and I said " I don't think you should murder him at all". So I basically saved a guys life.

you were born to moderate

but he still should have gotten a 6er

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bradzilla posted:

phone flashlights suck poo poo

agreed but i also understand the convenience factor. i love my little baby flashlight but i got the wrong batteries for it and now im stuck with like 50 aas i cant use for it

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I am still periodically tempted to purchase a bevy of extension kits and become Redneck Nightwing dual-wielding 10-D Maglites.

https://littindustries.com/products/litt-2d-cell-battery-extension

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I have a 6D maglite I bought for clobbering purposes when I was a misguided teen, it rolls around the floorboard of my car.

I put a pretty good LED conversion kit in it a few years ago but I never use it for anything, the batteries just sit and rot and sometimes burst and become incredibly difficult to get back out of the tube

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Stalizard posted:

I have a 6D maglite I bought for clobbering purposes when I was a misguided teen, it rolls around the floorboard of my car.

I put a pretty good LED conversion kit in it a few years ago but I never use it for anything, the batteries just sit and rot and sometimes burst and become incredibly difficult to get back out of the tube

Yeesh, I just remembered the time my dad handed me his Maglite and asked me to fix it without telling me what was wrong. 3 burst d cells inside frozen to the tube. I had to use a drill and a giant wood screw and a slide hammer to get them out, then soaked the whole thing in a baking soda slurry after pulling the switch and bulb, and then a half hour with a wire brush. Still works but drat was that a stupid amount of work.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Stalizard posted:

I keep a 6D magnight next to my bed for self defense, anyone breaks into my house I plan to shine it at them then swing so hard that I miss and the momentum carries the maglight directly into my shin

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I keep a 6D magnight next to my bed for self defense, anyone breaks into my house I plan to shine it at them then swing so hard that I miss and the momentum carries the maglight directly into my shin

keep a 6D magnight next to my bed for self defense, anyone breaks into my house I plan to show them my goatse impression and offer them the same experience. They will either run away or I make a new friend. Win or win!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Yes, And I did teach a couple of Papa Maglica's grandkids back in the day.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

Whatever the tiny one is

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I still have 4D and 5D maglites under the front seats of my various cars, converted them all to LED’s years ago. Like someone else said, they’re basically clubs cosplaying as flashlights, plus you won’t easily lose them.

For God’s sake don’t let the batteries go dead and swell though.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Aishlinn posted:

that's roughly 3 lbs worth of batteries + the weight of the flashlight itself. it really was like they wanted to give people a baseball bat and call it a flashlight.

That was literally the point of them - they were designed to get around some countries laws about selling blackjacks or batons or similar.

These days with led bulbs theyre completely superfluous but hell, I'd have one just so I can have a torch with so many batteries in it doesnt run out.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
A friend's dad was a cop and went to a training seminar where they covered using Maglites "properly". The two points they covered were: 1: hold it underhand at shoulder height off to the side so that if bad guys shot at the light it wasn't in front of you. 2. In this position you are queued up for swinging the tail end into a perp's head.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
It’s probably the most fuckable flashlight I’m aware of

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

wa27 posted:

Maglites are the Zippo of flashlights.

accurate take

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Zippos are the anime of lighters

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Still have my Mini Maglite I got with a magazine subscription 30 years ago, and a 3-cell my dad gave me for christmas once. Together with my Leatherman, I'm ready for anything the late 90s can throw at me!

Anyone got recommendations for non-trash LED conversion kits?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got a malkoff device and it works pretty well, they say the LEDs don't throw as far as incandescents but I can still light up the top of the farthest away tree I can see from my backyard

also it costs at least twice as much as the flashlight

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Acquire an old chainsaw that runs. remove chain and substitute a pully belt. Attach generator from a 1972 Cadillac to the pully belt. Attach and wire stupid bright car head lights to it. Best gas powered flashlight ever. Vroooom.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Lincoln posted:

I'm shocked that Maglite once made a 7-D-cell flashlight. That's like carrying a flagpole.

holy poo poo i got to have it. thank you for this important information op.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

istewart posted:

I am still periodically tempted to purchase a bevy of extension kits and become Redneck Nightwing dual-wielding 10-D Maglites.

https://littindustries.com/products/litt-2d-cell-battery-extension

got dam today just keeps getting better

naem
May 29, 2011

I don’t know why I am posting about flashlights on the internet at 9:07 pm EST but I have several of these and they are pretty good

_____!
May 2, 2004

I saw the documentary "Doom 3". If it's good enough to take down an imp, it's good enough to find house numbers in the dark.

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama
I kinda wish I still had one of those. As a kid I'd take them to my darkened bathroom, close the door, and pretend the flashlight was a rocket launching, even with a countdown.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

redshirt posted:

I lose power often enough. I've got 4 of these sweet combo night light/flashlight charger and holder. Nightlight comes on at night, there's always a charged flashlight nearby whenever needed.

check your plasma conduits. probably got some of them multiphasic alien critters fuckin’ up the polarity

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

That was literally the point of them - they were designed to get around some countries laws about selling blackjacks or batons or similar.

Liability too: "Your security guards were armed to kill and dinged methhead Chris' head in for no reason!"

vs. "As a desperate last option, my security guard looked at his flashlight (a perfectly reasonable item for a security guard to be carrying) and realized it could be used as an improvised club, a thought that had never occurred to him before. Regrettably, he had to use it to ding in methhead Chris' head.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Too many people named Chris, someone was bound to get their skull caved in eventually

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I used to carry a baton for feral dogs. Never had to use it but shaking it at them usually made them run off.

If that doesnt work, I guess I have to kick it.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I stole one from a cop 15 years ago and still use it every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Bad Purchase posted:

i use my phone