Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i think everyone will treat a database thread like it's kryptonite but gently caress it. i never see anyone else post about db garbage here and maybe it's because we don't have a dedicated place for it. post here to bitch about whatever terrible database you're using (they're all bad) or to confess to your crimes

this is a safe space. all schemas are bad, as is schemaless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
my favorite is the blockchain

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

anything is a database if you think about it, really

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
batadase

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just put everything in the best data structure, a hashtable

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rotor posted:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

much like everything else i've learned i have a surface level understanding of the tech i use but dont have particularly strong opinions on anything relative to specific relational dbs

just that you should use one, probably. sqlite3, mysql, postgres, whichever, they probably do what you need

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

conventional wisdom in tyool 2024 is still mssql if you're a microsoft shop and postgres otherwise, right?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
postgres is good, actually

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

rotor posted:

kvs can be pretty good, yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

can i use this thread to complain about ORMs? orms suck.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

conventional wisdom in tyool 2024 is still mssql if you're a microsoft shop and postgres otherwise, right?

p much. it's also important to know when you need to use more specialized tech like kv, document, graph, etc but for most use cases postgres is fine

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also sqlite is surprisingly robust and you can use it for a surprisingly long time before it starts to be a problem

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

why are people off mysql now? oracle making GBS threads it up?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i helped a church i attended back in the mid to late 00s with their membership database once and it was built in microsoft access 95 or 97 and i wanted to kill myself

that's my database story

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Share Bear posted:

why are people off mysql now?

postgres is now fast enough to make tolerating mysqls weird poo poo unnecessary

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i dont actually know, i'm just repeating poo poo i heard from people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i mean after what they tried to pull with java its not outside the realm of stuff being "ah we have something as good as mysql now thats not owned by oracle, use that" but that's my headcannon on people going to postgres and Might Not Be True

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://youtu.be/b2F-DItXtZs?si=vN_S709NATzH_1Na

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

wait, i'm wrong, i also had to use access to build a database in a computer class in junior high school. i dont remember the details, but it had a whole bunch of stuff in it and it had to connected to excel and word to generate letters and stuff. i remember thinking it was p cool and that i was like a wizard because i could do it but i've also literally never had to do that again since and i probably couldn't do it now if you put a gun to my head

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

orm money payday hmmm

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my favorite database is the 18 meg excel file every director keeps a copy of and is also on sharepoint

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cat Face Joe posted:

my favorite database is the 18 meg excel file every director keeps a copy of and is also on sharepoint

You should try the non-relational version of that: A JSON file stored on disk with all the vital information for the random node app the department ended up getting too reliant upon.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

LanceHunter posted:

You should try the non-relational version of that: A JSON file stored on disk with all the vital information for the random node app the department ended up getting too reliant upon.

i don't know what that is as i do not program the computer

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
my favorite database is jira

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the switch to postgres from mysql was for two main reasons. yes, one of them was oracle buying mysql, you can't trust oracle. but there was also a more technical driver. the mysql ethos was, "let's build a fast execution engine (innodb) that can select from where, and we'll worry about all those Standards and Features later". meanwhile the postgres folks were all, "let's build a full-featured standards-compliant sql db, it might not be the fastest one out there, but we can optimize it later". and well, postgres got fast before mysql got good (arguably it still has not)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

rotor posted:

can i use this thread to complain about ORMs? orms suck.

all are welcome to air their grievances here

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i turned down a gig with mongo when they were still really young. now i'm looking at their stock and crying. ah! i am crying

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
we're on MySQL 5.7 :negative:

but we have a migration to postgres making good progress :getin:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
mysql 5 is just comically bad by modern standards, it's missing huge chunks of standard sql and the query planner is absolute dogshit. innodb is fast but there was a jepsen report on it recently that showed that even in mysql 8 the robustness of the transaction isolation is pretty questionable

mysql 8 added a whole bunch of features but it's still far, far from parity with postgres, and especially so if you count extensions too.

just give postgres more ram, really

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ngl mongodb sounds stupid

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the only good thing i'll ever say about mariadb/mysql is that someone else made a package called vitess that can make your life easier re: migrations and sharding. i don't really understand postgres' citus but maybe it's fine idk

i'm with rotor here though

rotor posted:

also sqlite is surprisingly robust and you can use it for a surprisingly long time before it starts to be a problem

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mssql has some really cool features, one of them is that you can copy and paste binary blobs into your SQL ide then run it with a command (can't remember what) to install it as an extension. This lets you easily add any missing features, such as this

[Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlFunction]
public static SqlString http(SqlString url)
{
var wc = new WebClient();
var html = wc.DownloadString(url.Value);
return new SqlString (html);
}

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
mssql has builtin support for system versioned tables, which is really neat and I wish postgres had it too

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

distortion park posted:

Mssql has some really cool features, one of them is that you can copy and paste binary blobs into your SQL ide then run it with a command (can't remember what) to install it as an extension. This lets you easily add any missing features, such as this

[Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlFunction]
public static SqlString http(SqlString url)
{
var wc = new WebClient();
var html = wc.DownloadString(url.Value);
return new SqlString (html);
}

i've worked with mssql before and the amount of nerds that want to shove every piece of business logic into a stored procedure is bad enough without this poo poo

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
one thing i wish postgres didn't have is that one very subtle statistics gotcha that makes the entire database grind to a halt one fine day because instead of using the perfectly good index it's been using for years it's started seq scanning a 100 gb table instead, thinking the index isn't selective enough to be worth using. sampling bias is a gently caress

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mongodb ftw

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

TheFluff posted:

mssql has builtin support for system versioned tables, which is really neat and I wish postgres had it too

if you read the original postgres paper by stonebraker back in 1986, they actually had historical/versioned tables from the beginning. at some point during the evolution into postgresql they got taken out :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

TheFluff posted:

one thing i wish postgres didn't have is that one very subtle statistics gotcha that makes the entire database grind to a halt one fine day because instead of using the perfectly good index it's been using for years it's started seq scanning a 100 gb table instead, thinking the index isn't selective enough to be worth using. sampling bias is a gently caress

what do you mean you want planner hints? those are bad, just run vacuum analyze more often. you should have tuned your statistics before that happened bro. i'm a postgres core dev and i am very smart!