Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

software was not meant to scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
unlike lizards

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
gonna start referring to refactoring as molting

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

why doesn’t poo poo rear end postgresql community nerd edition have encryption at rest? is it because it’ll break the perfect vision of their perfect codebase? assholes have this on the docket for years

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Armitag3 posted:

why doesn’t poo poo rear end postgresql community nerd edition have encryption at rest? is it because it’ll break the perfect vision of their perfect codebase? assholes have this on the docket for years

word on the street is that you care about databases lol

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

obviously there's only one database anyone should use

confluence databases

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

isnt their answer to this 'just encrypt your data partition'

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we’ve been forced to use some vc backed garbage called snowflake

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i have been having on ongoing conversation with a customer who wants to know how to build a transactional guarantee between two different databases. i’ve told them multiple times that if i knew how to do that then id have sold my company years ago and be kicking it in the caribbean. they just won’t drop it and seem to be convinced that i really do know how but im just withholding the information from them for some reason. also other databases can do that so why can’t you?

they’re building a system where a different database and ours have to remain in sync but it has to be bidirectional because what’s a system of record? they could just tell the business that no they can’t have that but i’m guessing they already promised it before they knew wtf they were doing

love to watch slow motion train wrecks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

we’ve been forced to use some vc backed garbage called snowflake

seriously? lol

might as well have called it big girls blouse

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i have been having on ongoing conversation with a customer who wants to know how to build a transactional guarantee between two different databases. i’ve told them multiple times that if i knew how to do that then id have sold my company years ago and be kicking it in the caribbean. they just won’t drop it and seem to be convinced that i really do know how but im just withholding the information from them for some reason. also other databases can do that so why can’t you?

they’re building a system where a different database and ours have to remain in sync but it has to be bidirectional because what’s a system of record? they could just tell the business that no they can’t have that but i’m guessing they already promised it before they knew wtf they were doing

sounds like a use for blockchain op

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

PIZZA.BAT posted:

create a third database that both of the others query. bing bong so simple

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mssql everywhere, badly configured, i am nominally the most qualified person to deal with this but gently caress no i keep insisting we get a db person or at least consultant in here to fix this shitttttttttttttt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

create a third database that both of the others query. bing bong so simple

why not just one big database that contains all possible databases?

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 24, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this database schema describes all databases except those that describe themselves

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the first database only responds truthfully to your queries. the second database only lies. the third database keeps the two in sync

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the fourth database? we don’t talk about that one

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hi, op. I don’t know about databases but I don’t think that you “scale” webs. pretty sure you “surf”them instead. hth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cat Face Joe posted:

my favorite database is the 18 meg excel file every director keeps a copy of and is also on sharepoint

hi joe, i think my copy of the database is out of date. can you email me the updated version?

best regards,
fart simpson

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
I remember a blog post by a guy who was on the mysql team at oracle and then left and he himself told you to use postgres instead ("and don't believe for a second that mariadb is any better, monty and his merry men left because of the new governance not because of the mess they created"). The post is now gone and has also been deleted from the waybackmachine, lol.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Against SQL

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

sick of all these MarvelDB SQLs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

quote:

Javascript is crazy too! Javascript has improved dramatically over the last decade or two, to the point that compatibility between different vendors is almost complete. But imagine a javascript without libraries, without polyfills, where functions couldn't take collections as arguments and where for loops had a different syntax in each engine. I would, for the record, totally endorse a SQL STRICT MODE which discarded all the silly edge cases and produced a simpler, more orthogonal language. But the database vendors have no incentive to do this - SQL is their moat.

:allears:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
sql is not good but the alternatives are usually worse

also, as many warts as sql has, the theoretical foundations are rock solid and the basics are not that hard to understand. a precious blessing, these days

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, sql is poo poo. the theoretical foundations (i.e. relational algebra) being good is no point in its favor when most other query tools get *closer* to those foundations than sql itself.

also as a generality query optimization is a misfeature.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk i just ask for the rows where a column has a certain value, seems fine to me

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also as a generality query optimization is a misfeature.

but the query planner makes so many fun little logic puzzles for me to solve though???

on a more serious note, tell me about some good sql alternatives? i'll admit not being very up to date here

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

gonna start referring to refactoring as molting

software only scales when it is VERY distressed

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

TheFluff posted:

but the query planner makes so many fun little logic puzzles for me to solve though???

on a more serious note, tell me about some good sql alternatives? i'll admit not being very up to date here

there's none, because all the (potentially) viable sql alternatives are attached to a non-viable database

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

post hole digger posted:

software only scales when it is VERY distressed

frankly, true

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

customer opened a ticket asking why their 2 GB sidecar querying pods are getting OOM killed when they try to pull 80 million records in a single request

motherfucker i set you guys up with a spark cluster! use it!!!

also i’ve explained the concept of pagination multiple times! gently caress

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i feel like people dont really need all this computing power. its all induced demand.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

i feel like people dont really need all this computing power. its all induced demand.
really this goes for tool use in general

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i taught myself sql on the prod db tables, and was not provided any documentation on the tables and columns

“select * from orders”

ok kill it after 3 seconds so i can look at the column labels - oo nice

“select * from orders where order_date > ‘1993-06-01’ and order_date < ‘1993-06-30’ and plant = ‘2’”

i wonder what plant 2 is? is there a plants table?

“select * from plants”

kill it af… oo it completed. plant 2 is… shelbyville?

etc

i am surprised i did not get murdered by the dbas. there might not have been any dbas.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i would have murdered whoever gave you access while using it as a learning opportunity for you

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i would have murdered whoever gave you access while using it as a learning opportunity for you

learning sql or learning murder?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do people like Malloy?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i use postgres at home, and most of the stuff i've written that touches it uses entity framework :)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

a wise man by name of ahmeni once said a stateless app is the perfectly spherical cow of sre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

shaggar says induced demand is fictional