Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

reminds me of that time i got curious how "real" file formats actually look like and read the specs for stuff like elf and dwarf and pdf and who knows what else

my conclusion was that everything is garbage and i'll just keep dumping raw memory to disk like god intended without giving a gently caress about things like padding or versioning, and most certainly not about endianness because those big endian freaks shouldn't be allowed to touch my data in the first place

oh wow, an email intraoffice memo from the original microsoft excel 1.0 team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
htonl

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

the SQLite disk format is readable by humans if that human is motivated enough

i already said to use strings!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rotor posted:

fun fact: the first programming language i learned as an adult was postscript

were you trying to jailbreak your 202?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm hearing vector databases are the new hotness that's getting all the vc attention

makes sense b/c vectords are cool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

my favorite database is a text file I store next to the executable

this ftw

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was just on a call with one of my customers where our machine learning guy was walking them through various use cases to help them brainstorm things that could be applicable for them. the discussion meanders around for a bit and we hit the inevitable, 'how many records does your dataset contain' question. they answered fifty. we asked, 'fifty... million? billion? what?'

no. just fifty. they bought an enterprise license from us to store fifty documents

props to my machine learning guy for gently taking that and going, 'ok so you may run into an issue where the model overcorrects here and blah blah blah' instead of laughing

fifty documents

that reminds me of being involved in a multi week negotiation w/ a sales guy who was requesting we add a bunch of crap to a soundbar so he could land a big sale in singapore. and after all that negotiation my boss finally asked him how big the sale was and he said "75". as in we had just done all that work to sell 75 additional units

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Well if the units are airbusses...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ocean of Milk posted:

Well if the units are airbusses...

they were soundbars op and our yearly sales were like 50,000 units

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
at work we use cosmosDB, and I wish we just used mssql instead.

it’s sort of handy because a lot of what we do is basically just posting json from a mobile app to an api and then saving it to the db but we (or rather the consultancy that built this thing originally) did a lot of dumb things that make my life suck

cosmosDB has a limit of 2mb per document, which sounds like loads of space, except that we do poo poo like store an entire Customer object in each Report record, even though the Customer object contains n Office objects and each report can only ever relate to a single Office, so we have massive pointless data duplication. this would not have happened if we just had a relational db (probably)

fun other db bullshit (this one more self inflicted though): we also have the Partition Key set as /customerName, which is not fixed. we also build a customerId at runtime that includes this non mutable name so sometimes when the customer name changes we unintentionally just soft delete the old one and insert a new one and pretend everything is fine until someone wants to query for something belonging to the client pre-name-change

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sounds like what you actually needed was a file system for storing those json files

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Surprise T Rex posted:

this would not have happened if we just had a relational db (probably)

lol no

dummies are gonna dumb no matter what technology you give them

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

sounds like what you actually needed was a file system for storing those json files

that doesn’t sound very cloud-first

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Surprise T Rex posted:

that doesn’t sound very cloud-first

What if the file system was… a cloud file system :wth:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Azure files, bithc

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
wait gently caress i just realized, why isn't the thread title "DENORMALIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO WEB SCALE."?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

wait gently caress i just realized, why isn't the thread title "DENORMALIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO WEB SCALE."?

:mods:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

ADINSX posted:

What if the file system was… a cloud file system :wth:

still boring. now blob storage maybe?

files: a concept more than 10 years old, reminiscent of paper (boomer tech), files live on hard drives

blob: mysterious, trendy, files live in the sky (?)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what if we implement our own custom file storage system on top of blob storage??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

marking ticket as closed

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

what if we implement our own custom file storage system on top of blob storage??

current trends seem to be implementing everything on top of blob storage

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

at work we use cosmosDB, and I wish we just used mssql instead.

it’s sort of handy because a lot of what we do is basically just posting json from a mobile app to an api and then saving it to the db but we (or rather the consultancy that built this thing originally) did a lot of dumb things that make my life suck

cosmosDB has a limit of 2mb per document, which sounds like loads of space, except that we do poo poo like store an entire Customer object in each Report record, even though the Customer object contains n Office objects and each report can only ever relate to a single Office, so we have massive pointless data duplication. this would not have happened if we just had a relational db (probably)

fun other db bullshit (this one more self inflicted though): we also have the Partition Key set as /customerName, which is not fixed. we also build a customerId at runtime that includes this non mutable name so sometimes when the customer name changes we unintentionally just soft delete the old one and insert a new one and pretend everything is fine until someone wants to query for something belonging to the client pre-name-change

nosql databases can definitely be relational, you just need to be pretty sure of your access patterns ahead of time

incuding the customer object in reports is dumb cos you can clearly just have the customer id there and look it up, there’s no need to duplicate

rick houlihan did a great talk on this which made me understand nosql dbs much better

[video type=""]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HaEPXoXVf2k[/video]

but just loving using sql is almost never a bad choice, people who fart sniff about db engines without a good reason can lick my balls

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

All I want from SQL is swapping the clauses around. Let me write FROM bottoms WHERE poo poo=hard SELECT smell. Who decided on the lovely order of the clauses where the last thing you decide is first.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

git apologist posted:

nosql databases can definitely be relational, you just need to be pretty sure of your access patterns ahead of time

incuding the customer object in reports is dumb cos you can clearly just have the customer id there and look it up, there’s no need to duplicate

rick houlihan did a great talk on this which made me understand nosql dbs much better

but just loving using sql is almost never a bad choice, people who fart sniff about db engines without a good reason can lick my balls

yeah, I suspect what happened is “hmm we need a database, what’s the azure database? oh yeah cosmos that’ll do” with no further thought as to data model or how best to store things because it’s a document db so who cares about schema or planning or anything? just throw it all in there.

definitely some strange architectural decisions made on this app.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

git apologist posted:

for years i’ve been tossing around the idea of making one of those massive ‘so you need a’ flowchart diagrams for databases. i’m lazy though

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
"money pit" -> oracle
"data pit" -> mongo or some other nosql poo poo idk
"sanity pit" -> mysql

come to think of it, i haven't followed big data stuff (is that even still a thing?) for a long time so it's entirely possible that "data pit" is now an actual thing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they found that 'lake' was more marketable but its realistically just a moist pit.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i’m about 3/4 through that video and it’s pretty good. it’s kind of validating because i pretty much give that talk to any new customers we get who aren’t familiar with how the whole nosql thing works. the biggest trap is when they start trying to model their data first before they try to understand the queries they’ll be answering, because that’s how you do it in the relational world. it takes a lot of effort to get people to shake their old habits because the data modeling process is completely upside down to those who’ve lived in that world for a while

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

"money pit" -> oracle
"data pit" -> mongo or some other nosql poo poo idk
"sanity pit" -> mysql

come to think of it, i haven't followed big data stuff (is that even still a thing?) for a long time so it's entirely possible that "data pit" is now an actual thing

big data isn’t used anymore people just say scalable. and yes there are lots of applications where the amount of data grows beyond what a single server can handle. once you’re into cluster world you’re in scalable / big data world

the particular tool you’ll choose depends on your use case but there’s a reason so few shops choose a relational model once they start clustering

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

basically: if your data can exist on a single server then just use whatever you know because at that level the biggest concern is just your ability to get poo poo done

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nielsm posted:

All I want from SQL is swapping the clauses around. Let me write FROM bottoms WHERE poo poo=hard SELECT smell. Who decided on the lovely order of the clauses where the last thing you decide is first.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

PIZZA.BAT posted:

big data isn’t used anymore people just say scalable. and yes there are lots of applications where the amount of data grows beyond what a single server can handle. once you’re into cluster world you’re in scalable / big data world

the particular tool you’ll choose depends on your use case but there’s a reason so few shops choose a relational model once they start clustering

oh, no, i know the actual tech is still there; i meant strictly from a buzzword perspective. and it seems i was right to ask. imagine using last year's let alone last decade's buzzwords. might as well be talking about vacuum tubes and kerosene lamps

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i’m about 3/4 through that video and it’s pretty good. it’s kind of validating because i pretty much give that talk to any new customers we get who aren’t familiar with how the whole nosql thing works. the biggest trap is when they start trying to model their data first before they try to understand the queries they’ll be answering, because that’s how you do it in the relational world. it takes a lot of effort to get people to shake their old habits because the data modeling process is completely upside down to those who’ve lived in that world for a while

you're basically taking a side-gig as a query planner except you don't have the various stats an actual query planner uses to make decisions about which indices/join methods/etc to use and also it turns out you don't get asked the queries you thought you would get asked because someone changed their mind

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

at work i tell people to just read the dynamodb documentation for modeling data if they have any questions, even though the nosql database i janitor is not dynamodb. its very good documentation

you're basically taking a side-gig as a query planner except you don't have the various stats an actual query planner uses to make decisions about which indices/join methods/etc to use and also it turns out you don't get asked the queries you thought you would get asked because someone changed their mind

i'm the query planner except if the user changes the query their app stops performing within its requirements and i tell them "i recommend not doing that and using the queries that we discussed, which is what the database is tuned for" and then their choices are to do what i suggest or to not have a functioning application anymore.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

they found that 'lake' was more marketable but its realistically just a moist pit.

someone coined the phrase "data puddle" for something we're doing (for bad/dumb reasons) and i hate it so much

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i would pay microsoft a lot of money (that is, the amount of money we pay now for azure mssql) to add a query hint that goes "ok just use adaptive joins everywhere; please don't try to get fancy; you're not smart enough to do this; just trust me"

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

redleader posted:

someone coined the phrase "data puddle" for something we're doing (for bad/dumb reasons) and i hate it so much

a data puddle is what pizza.bats client built for their 50 documents

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Asleep Style posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Asleep Style posted:

Adbot