Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

animist posted:

custom relational db

what in the world

was this a project started in the 60’s cuz uh I mean Godspeed but holy moly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah i'm really hoping this is some kind of joke or at least op is being paid the big bucks and doesn't give a gently caress about whatever dumpster fire project they're on

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
admittedly if they don't have basically infinite money it's probably a preferable alternative to using oracle

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

relational doesn’t mean it has to do all the things that big relational databases do (or even that SQLite does). just has to have tables of relations and ways to query and manipulate them. Codd’s light shines over a large kingdom

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
ok but let's be real; unless op is in academia my money is definitely on bespoke homegrown mysql-wannabe abomination

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m betting a triple database with a sql-like query language

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Subjunctive posted:

I’m betting a triple database with a sql-like query language

that's two* too many databases

*some would say three, but this is the database enjoyer thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I like linq and dictionaries. this is basically a relational data base

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Bloody posted:

I like linq and dictionaries. this is basically a relational data base

what level summon Shaggar spell is this?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

today i have a customer that's confused because they DOUBLED the disk size of their database and they're still getting an out of space error? why does your database need so much disk this is ridiculous

they doubled it to 2 GB

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
seems to me like it's time to move to hbase or maybe have vendors like teradata submit bids for a custom enterprise solution

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

today i have a customer that's confused because they DOUBLED the disk size of their database and they're still getting an out of space error? why does your database need so much disk this is ridiculous

they doubled it to 2 GB

I had to ask a customer for 96 cores and 240gb ram and they asked for justification but didn’t really flinch and I felt real old

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

shitface posted:

I had to ask a customer for 96 cores and 240gb ram and they asked for justification but didn’t really flinch and I felt real old

"you have too much data, yet you persist with wanting to keep this data"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you never know when we'll need this centronics cable table of every single click ever made on our website for the past 20 years including some for which we can't even find that version of the site in our vcs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

you never know when we'll need this centronics cable table of every single click ever made on our website for the past 20 years including some for which we can't even find that version of the site in our vcs

lots of training data for a model of site usage! to do nothing with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf to them it sure beats working