Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Basticle posted:

I haven't played a Tekken since the PS1 but had a lot of fun with the demo so I bought it.

Is there an equivalent to supercombo.gg for Tekken?

The Applay Spreadsheet was one of the best resources for Tekken 7 and it looks like they are going to keep things up for 8:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They edited out my favorite blurb

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I pressed Jun uf1 once and thought, "yeah I could do this"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For people that are jumping in, this seems like a comprehensive video tutorial (very much a tutorial, the first part might be a bit basic for folks lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50NVzJsRljs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Mids so while you could do a launch or a strong mid most people using her are gonna try to not be obvious about chilling in that stance (using moves that transition to it and not being in it for a long time) so a classic df1 would be a good option to check it, especially since if you misread her going into stance you're not very negative if you're blocked. Kinda like how people quick jab eddy to float him out of handstand before he can get going.

Her D 1+2 throw is absolute cheese while people still have no knowledge on her/vs new players in general. Fun to use. Long range high crush throw. It's called an imanari roll irl and i think ufo throw or something in game.

My cheese throw is d1+3 lol, it is a low throw so it's also untechable, and its i12 so it's guaranteed if you connect with ff4 which is 0 on block and +13 on hit and forces crouch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven’t played Tekken much since Tag 1, but this one looks really really good

I play a lot of FGs but I’m not very good at Tekken I feel like it’s a completely different skill set. Is there some sort of guide for “hi I know you play these but here’s what’s different”

This is using ttt2 but it was made to help all the people leaving SFV get into Tekken lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMEcf-dA2c

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That reminds me I should train on P2 today

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

nothing personnell...

https://twitter.com/kevinmcolon/status/1750851298633675237

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't have the mental fortitude to grind ranked and I'm a lab monster anyway so I give myself a hard out -- on my second match loss in a season, even if it's 0-2, I will stop, study my losses, and go into practice mode for a while and train something that I learned

unattended spaghetti posted:

Agree completely. Also cares about video presentation and doesn't engage in obnoxious content creator behavior.

He's into the YouTube thumbnail meta but that's probably unavoidable in 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Raven seems cool. What's the gameplay difference between him and Victor other the flashy clone stuff

Orv posted:

I mean there are definitely characters that fit the more like, grim, grounded aesthetic of Tekken which is definitely part of why I've always felt like it's cooler or 'more real' than other fighting games. But this is also a series where a man with a jaguar head is a Mexican professional wrestler and the main conflict in the story is that some people just genetically have a bit of Satan, The Devil in them. Bryan is a cyborg but also kind of a zombie and he's Real Mad. It's an inherently dumb series and the head of a ninja assassination clan being some posh, John Wick French guy feels pretty on point.

That's subjective, of course but I'm definitely in camp it works.

The ninja assassination clan is a different one, that's also the one where the cyborg zombie massacred most of them to steal their source of infinite energy

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 30, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RME posted:

Gon is actually a licensed/crossover char so his rear end is dead forever

Just need a new Gon function instead.

Like Neco Arc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think people took this tweet too seriously

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1302380197560414211

Edit: oh right tweets

"This every Guilty Gear character vs every Tekken character"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Solus posted:

Whats the vibe you get when you're facing a mirror matchup

I'm 'maining" King at the moment and when I meet another King it's 100% hype but i feel like two Kazuya mains would be filled with anger

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...eeb01422325ff3&

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mained Zafina in 7 but the changes in 8 were a lot to deal with and I thought it would be easier to just stat with a different character until the Tekken scientists sort out how to play this New Zafina lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Can you tell if the simple mode is on for your opponent?

Yes, it will show the simple shortcut menu on their side if they have it on.

Jeff Gerstman was talking about playing and seeing the window rapidly come in and out as his opponent was mashing every button lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Thanks for the link but yeah it's still early days on there just by looking at the Azucena guide. The BnB combo they list does 2 less than the one I learned off youtube 4 days ago and has less wall carry though its definitely a lot easier.

The one I use for the record is DF2- D2,3,- 4,- 4,1,2 (run to close distance) f2,1,4. The timing is a bit tricky though, I could explain if anyone needs it.

The secret azucena guide definitely made only from people playing the CBT hasn't been fully digested into the Applay guide yet yeah:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f-GoAW_kuCJ27Y3hUMKXBGKV6qlMdt93gEoNDrUdtw0/edit#gid=1420177787

Also a more in-depth write-up here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O2pnNMf0XqlffAAjND79aZqdbycXSs6JIkgJ9ejR6no/edit#heading=h.4vpk6a1o7vtt

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

Fought 4 different Reinas in a row in ranked. She certainly seems to be popular. I was also Reina (beat all but 1!).

It seems like it, finally going against the cliche that T7 players hate playing women, I guess being a Mishima is more important lol

https://twitter.com/AlietteFaye/status/1753217490971246997

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sinatrapod posted:

That seems like a really reasonable distribution of character choices, honestly. It looks like a huge disparity on that graph, but it's close enough where individual experience can run completely contrary. Like personally I've seen a bunch of Howarangs and Ninas and even a few Kumas, but I don't think I've fought Vincent once.

Kind of a refreshing change after wading through the Sea of Kens, honestly.

Yeah it's only covering the top 10,000 players so it's going to skew to the "pick a top tier" playerbase too lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I feel like there's a lot of sneaky macro players out there.

Like, absolute shitters who can't block to save their life, have no concept of spacing or movement around the arena, know precisely one combo, but can chain EWGFs flawlessly 9 times in a row.

There were definitely cheaters grinding their way up the leaderboard with varying degrees of brazenness in 7, and I hear they have new tech in 8

For example apparently there's one where they just need to touch you once and then they suddenly win all three rounds lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

combo scaling after a heat dash is extreme so it usually only adds like 5 points of damage usually, unless it gets you to the wall it doesn't really seem like the best use of it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

~I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.~

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol i have not learned anything about heat at all apparently, i just learned today that Azucena has moves that are heat-dash-like but aren't actually heat dashes.

It seems like a huge thing and the idea that all the top players are still playing Tekken 7 so whoever starts actually playing 8 will have an advantage is real i guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Went online for the first time ever with Paul. Got completely washed by a Feng using Special Style, but won 2-1 against a Reina afterward, where I got a little better about breaking throws and remembering "Oh yeah, I have Deathfist".

Speaking of breaking throws, is it a thing where I start to notice which hand they lead with and breaking with that, or is it still kind of a 50-50 thing?

Everyone has generic throws which can be broken with either 1 or 2, and a 1+2 command throw.

Many characters have other command throws with specific breaks and the hands are tells for that. You do have to kinda train to do it on reaction.

King has a bunch of throws which don't obey this logic because he is the King

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tibbeh posted:

So I've been a Julia main for years and pretty much stuck to couch matches against friends exclusively. If I pick up T8, who would feel closest to Julia for me to try?

If you are looking for the character most likely to be a Twitch streamer it's Azucena

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Attack on Princess posted:

The multilingual convos are just Tekken being Tekken.

There's edge cases where it happens IRL with closely related languages. When people don't technically speak the other language, but understand it anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The translations for Azucena's dialogue seem off to me but I'm not a native speaker so I wondered if there were regional idioms at play

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did not know Marduk was Australian until people were talking about it in a data mining capacity.... Dude sounds 10000% American lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

Speaking of Tekken and ages Feng is only 27 and Dragunov is only 26. That's some Hans Moleman poo poo. I guess a life of Iron Fist Tournaments will do that to you.

Tekken probably has the best fighting game story, which is to say extremely terrible. Maybe MK but I hate time travel and multiverses.

https://twitter.com/Piffy_UwU/status/1694271059514585125

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ironically it seems like Special Mode will find its true potential in pros using it for extreme edge case scenarios lol

https://twitter.com/unjekill/status/1754187430482350578

#xiaoneta
If you use Special Style (SS), you can perform a series of challenging attacks with one button: ``16F'' from standing and ``17F'' from crouching. Effective against "lower floors of -17 to 19F where 9LK is difficult to reach when guarding". It takes some skill to input, but once you get used to it, you can even ``turn on SS for a moment and cancel immediately''.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Opening song is good tbh

our time IS now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there a good rule of thumb for stuff that is jab punishable without looking at the numbers?

Many strings that end with mids are unsafe and can be at least jab punished (some can be launched.) They are usually paired with high string enders that are safe on block but instead can be ducked and launched.

Most power crushes (the smoky hits) are unsafe on block.

Most uppercuts (df2, the almost universal launcher) are at least -12 on block.

Many hits where the opponent jumps are at least jab punishable. Hopkicks which launch are definitely punishable. If it has a quick startup and is short range, it is more likely to be punishable on block, jumping attacks that have very long startups (and can thus be interrupted) tend to be safe if they do connect

There are definitely "rules of thumb" you get a feel for (even beyond the obvious stuff like "oh the opponent is literally recoiling back from doing a -22ob low lol") but there are always exceptions and every character has at least one move that looks like it should be unsafe or at least minus on block but is actually plus lol.

Getting a feel for the "move types" based on animation or how you see the opponent using them will allow you to make guesses, testing with jab punish is always a good idea if you're not dialed in. This doc helped me a lot with that:

Tekken 7: On Analyzing Moves and Strings

Edit: like if you do enough punishment trainings with the various characters, you'll see patterns. shoulder attacks tend to be more punishable for example

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 8, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

Hey is there a way to make your side alternate every time you reset in practice mode?

I don't think so, you can just set it to one or the other in the restart settings.

If you want to keep flipping I think the fastest is using a side switch throw

Edit: oh actually you can use the "record status" to set it to the other side and just push restart or reproduce to get each side

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the Sajam video on this from last week is something that I try to keep in mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P8cvrZZLN8

"You want to play clean at the beginning? You can't." If you haven't shown them you can't beat whatever "cheap" thing they're doing why should they stop doing it, and at the same time that means you should keep doing things until they've shown you that you should stop.

I am trying to cultivate mental resilience which I couldn't really do in 7 ranked at all, I basically ignore what the ranking points are and if I catch myself thinking about it I try to push it out, just play every match as it comes. If I lose in an overwhelming way then I make a note there's something to learn for the next time I see that matchup, and if I feel myself getting really tilted then it's time to eject and lab for an hour (which may not be fun for some people but I find it really relaxing lol)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also, I need to start using a non optimal combo to capitalize because I get plenty of counter hits thanks to all the evasive moves Feng has. Been more worried about learning to create those opportunities rather than capitalizing on them.

CH launchers are one of the things I think it helps to lab out the most because you have to react to them, and it's really bad if you've committed to a combo route when the opponent isn't actually airborne, or even worse actually plus because of block/whiffing lol. Counter hits have a very distinctive sound cue so I react to that.

Also quite a few CH hits are instant Tornado so you need a different route for those to get the most damage out of them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How do you mean? What am I looking for there? There are some situations where I feel like I can get it reliably—the db3 I mentioned above—and some where I really can’t guarantee it—df1 or the second hit of Feng’s 1 string which hits mid though it is not a launcher I don’t know what state that is but they’re definitely open after it—so I’m wondering what it is I’m looking for. Do you mean just like setting the counter hit to random and practicing followups kinda like hit confirming?

Yeah exactly. Some counter hit launches/guaranteed follow-ups are on buttons that you wouldn't usually press except if you're explicitly fishing for a counter hit after getting plus frames -- for example Azucena has one on 1+2. It is an i15 high and there are better mid options in neutral, but it evades highs and CH launches so it's designed to call people out. Since I'm only pressing it when I expect to launch I am not really reacting to the CH, I'm usually reacting to when it doesn't actually launch.

On the other hand, Azucena's ws1 is a button I press a lot any time I'm crouching because it's a fast safe way to exit the crouching state. Since CH launching is a side effect of a button I'm pressing anyway, I have to train myself a bit to recognize that they just got launched. This is also because it's a crumple stun so visually it's a bit less obvious compared to when someone gets knocked 10 feet in the air and obviously you can combo them lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you're having trouble deciding on a character to start with, Fergus's guide is a good overview to differentiate them and highlights the things to start with when learning them

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CG-ZUE6EqqQk7QSfc1feddeS8411f8t38EMFQ1Le9Cc/edit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh I guess this is for the EWGF learners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYo1w1o-YXk

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

What I love about playing zoners is the combo of being able to repeatedly stuff their approach by either smart space control or predictively shoving a hitbox into where they’re going, and being able to condition or frustrate opponents to get them stuck back in my zoning blender.

Zafina was S-tier at this in 7 but she was changed enough that it doesn't exactly feel that way anymore, though in heat her Heat Smash is basically "the shotgun item but a good move" lol

Jun has extremely good whiff punishment and has an evasive low with very long reach which is basically the projectile in this game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

PhiDX coached BrianF on this and i thought it was a pretty good primer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grlsh1wDjlI&t=1196s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Seltzer posted:

-RA's being -16

I wish blocked RAs were -16 because it means I wouldn't die from trying to df2 them as Zafina which I did earlier today lol