Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Autsj posted:

It's funny, most old school mishima players that play on stick have a strong preferace for 2p side, this is due to how the wavedash motion feels in the hand; often to the point of becoming absolute crap when playing on 1p side. Now with leverless there is tech that makes 1p mishima's that are useless on 2p side. Either way, the classic counter to mishima players is a 2+4 throw (or any of your throws that switches sides on either hit or break) just like before.

I got back into tekken after having last played in the og tekken 5 days about 2 months ago. I got into 7 with kazuya because I just really wanted to use him because he's the heart of the tekken franchise in my mind (started with tekken 1 +2 as a kid). Wound up dropping him for Xiaoyu and the bears, but now I've been enjoying the poo poo out of Reina in 8. That being said, idk I'm more comfortable on the left still because that's just what I'm used to from being a long time casual fighting game fan. I still sometimes get a little flustered when pressured if I'm on the right sometimes in ranked and am definitely way less consistent landing electrics.

anyway game good tekken rules. I kinda don't want to main reina because you see so much of her but the mishama moveset clicks for me and I'm having fun so :shrug:

e: kuma also owns in 8 and I've played a fair bit of him in ranked as well. something about the xiaoyu changes aren't clicking with me yet so I haven't been playing her much

Revins fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Not for the first time, I'm struck by the sheer gulf in talent between playing a game online versus playing against your buddies. We played a TON of T4 and TTT when I was in college, and there was only one guy that could ever take a game off of me once in a while when I was playing Jin or Steve, and I could match anyone else with another half-dozen characters in the roster (including One-Handed Bear, where I held a joint in my right hand and just used PPP and KKK mapped to the left triggers).

And then you go online in TYOOL 2024 and it's just expected for you to have some giant combos and wavedashing and EWGFs once you get past the noob levels. I think my biggest combo back then was Jin's 1-2-3-4 after a juggle lol.

It's a little disappointing! Is Steve any less demanding in terms of mechanics? He was my other main back then, although it doesn't feel right to play him unless I hold the controller in my left hand and use my index+middle finger to hit the buttons.

Steve is still regarded as a difficult character to pick up yeah

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I just noticed the hot dog cart in the times square stage is called "Crackpot Hotdog's" and I was going to jokingly complain about the misuse of the ' but then I typed out crackpot hotdog's and now I don't know where I'm at with this information

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Law working at a target is strangely believable

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I really really do not miss negan especially. noctis was more annoying to fight but negan never shut the gently caress up and his rage art was boring and took about three times as long as it needed

geese was fine but I like snk stuff

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

10 hit combos have been a thing since the first tekken, yeah. Not all characters have them these days though

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I took a break for a few days because I was feeling a little burned out and now I'm having anxiety about jumping back in. which is stupid, I need to just boot the game up pick kuma and go

the bears are so good in 8

e: I really wish kuma had better customization options though. at least give us the skeletonbear back

Revins fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 15, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I need to practice breaking chain throws. a king landed a 6 or 7 chain throw on me and it hurt a lot. I lost that round but I think that was the only one in two matches tho. Going into hunting a lot is a pretty good counter to a king that really wants to land throws

still sitting through a long throw sequence mashing 1 and 2 to no avail is never fun

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Urethane posted:

Is there an easy way to tell which case is which? Like I expect all of Leo's qcf moves are case 1 but not sure how to confirm

If you do the motion and they do a sway or step that would be the former scenario

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I got curious about something, and I can't find the answer online after maybe a whole minute of searching so I now have to find out:

can Shaheen surf Azazel?

can the falcon dude ride the mondo-rear end model that azazel got? and how ridiculous do it look

I will report back

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

The answer is no :<

Wow the throw parts of his moves all don't work. lame!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Attack on Princess posted:

Labbed Alisa for a week only to realize getting better with her didn't make her more fun to me.

This is where I'm at with Shaheen the last three days. I like the style of doing a lot of chip damage and deleting the recoverable hp with bf2 and the flippy slidey combos (and surfing dudes) but... his combo strings are tricky for the high damage options and he's lacking combo damage outside of the super execution heavy combos. maybe I'm just spoiled by the easy absurd damage combos of the bears but idk. My internet's been fucky today so I haven't played much ranked so I've just been getting a feel for him. his uf+1 is absurdly good and his mixups from crouch and snake step really seem to catch people (because you never see shaheen) so I'm torn if I'm gonna keep him as a second to kuma or try paul

shaheen is solid though he'll just take me a lot more practice to get consistent with

Revins fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 19, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Shaheen's second heat smash out of snake step coming out as* a low is also absurdly good, as is his charge move which I need to get better at but its -13 on block and breaks guard if in heat

Revins fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 19, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I switched to just playing quick matches for the past couple of days and its been pretty nice. I've been sticking with Shaheen and am glad I did, as he's a really strong and safe char and I was pretty close to dropping him at first. I've been beating people in the 100-120k prowess range once in awhile and I still can't combo with shaheen in a real match to save my life for some reason. So I feel like I'm getting a good grasp of his fundamental gameplan so I'm going to write a long post to gather my thoughts on the character

Overall, he's not a character a beginner can pick up and start beating on people with outside of spamming jabs and db2,1. He's capable of putting out a lot of damage but overall relies on a really basic, in your face playstyle and just good fundamentals. He's a very safe character and relies on you being able to stay up close and keep up pressure without being punished for it. You can mix up high and mids with his jab strings really quickly. I like throwing in 1,2,3 or 2,3 into snake step if I have them just frozen up blocking. df1,2 out of snake step really hurts and removes recoverable health if you can land it. For a jab string into a low he only has f2,4, which is a 12 frame startup. The string finishes with another 4 as a spinning high kick but its easily blocked or ducked so I usually just do the f2,4 for the low and leave it at that. You can follow up that low with his snake step but it puts him at neutral frames whereas his other options put you at +9 or +10. You can do it but you're likely to just get jabbed out of your follow up and the only thing likely to land is the 1 which does like no damage. Doing 2,3df seems to be the best bet for going into snake step at close range. df1 is your standard quick midcheck at 13 frames, db2 though is only one frame slower to start up and you can hit confirm it into 1 then for the heat engager which is really good. db2,1 is really good when used well in general. b3 is a slower mid poke (19 frames I think) that leaves you at a bit of an advantage on block, good to throw out if you've got someone really mashy blocking your jabs. A lot of people think its way more punishable than it is so you can follow it up with more jab strings and hit them as they try and punish pretty reliably. Has a long recovery on whiff though so really make sure you're up close so its at least blocked

df4 is a good longer range mid poke, 14 frames, good range and is safe. Also has a low of followups. df4,1,3 is a common combo ender, good chunk of damage and high pushback. You can do df4,1 into snake step which puts you at a good frame advantage for your mixups from that. df4,3 is a little slow but does good damage and gives you plus frames on block, can be good to throw out sometimes to catch people off guard.

b3+4 is a pretty standard power crush/heat engager, though it comes out fast and has a good range, so if your timing is good with it you can use it to get into heat from a bit of a distance. Speaking of heat engagers, this is where shaheen shines. The timing can be tricky playing online depending on the latency, but during the run-up after you land the engager you can hold down then hit up+2 as soon as you get control back to do al-ghul master, which launches if they don't block it and breaks guard and leaves you at +14. If you're good at doing the quick input fb2 it is guaranteed if they block. Its a little tricky as you need to get off your charge d,u2 the instant its possible and get the quick input. I've gotten pretty consistent at it and it just feels nasty. In a really good way. but at the same time I know its gotta piss some people off but obv I don't care. That being said if they duck al-ghul master they can launch punish you so its a little risky but I've only run into like 2 players who did that so its safe enough against red ranked level players

the slide feels awkward to pull off at first but man its a good move. Its range catches people off guard and you can follow it up with a 2 out of snake step (which he goes into after landing the slide) and then do uf+1,d into another slide (you have to do the df,d,df movement like right when his feet are about to touch the ground). Then repeat a second time. I haven't figured out how much damage the whole thing does but the second slide feels guaranteed if you're quick with it. idk if it actually is though

I've said before that his heat burst out of snake step is really good and it is. doing it out of a string that you cancel into snake step catches a lot of people as it has to be one of the fastest activating lows in the game. Good heat bursts overall, not the highest damage but they fast and having a mid and a low option is nice. The mid one puts you in snake step after it too so I've had luck catching people with the df1,2 out of it. usually just the 2 though

I've been doing 2,3df, df1,2 at the start of rounds a lot and it catches a lot of people, deletes half their life bar and leaves them on the ground to get oki'd. Insanely good if it lands and is pretty safe on block

Overall he's stronger than I thought going in. even without combos he can do a lot of damage just jabbing people down and landing his strings. I'm glad I learned him because I've gotten a lot better at knowing when to attack and block, movement and keeping spacing, game fundamentals in general. He's very underrated and outside of being boring in his lore and stuff I think good play with him looks really stylish and there's a lot of cool stuff he can do

I hope this helps if there's anyone trying to learn him. also interested in any other hot tips as a not a lot of people play him so info is a little scarce

oh also his ws2 is a great launcher, I like to throw it out after a d3 or d1 and try and catch people with it then, its the launcher I've had the most luck landing consistently with him. 4,1 can also launch on counterhit, probably his least obvious launcher but 4,1 is a good string in general so its well worth mentioning

Revins fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 24, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

also the only players I've ever seen one and done in quick matches are king and jin/dvj players. why are you one and done-ing in quick matches, whats the point

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I just figured out that on the ps5 controller you can do the df,d,df input for the slide by just wiggling the bottom bit of the d-pad front back front if you press in and rock your thumb on it. it makes it a lot easier

e: oh one last hot shaheen tip then I'm done: if someone blocks one of your b3's you can catch them mashing with f,b2 esp if you can land the quick input for it. its something I just starting experimenting with but results against really mashy people have been promising. its been a good way to delete their recoverable health pretty reliably, as well as trying to just go in with snake step then df1,2

Revins fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 24, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I'm still a Kuma main but I wanted someone safer to play on the side

So I was practicing throw breaks and want to confirm something: you can tech basic 1+3 and 2+4 throws with 1 or 2 right? That seems to be the case but idk. The uf1+2 throws most characters have need 1+2 for the break. Command throws are where 1 or 2 matters in 8 it seems like

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Seltzer posted:

There used to be no replays no ghosts no tutorials no nothing. Honestly, when you hit a hard wall taking a week to just play quick play will be good for your salt levels and for learning. It's 0 stakes and a good place to try out more of your movelist. I was feeling a tad stuck in shinryu so I'm doing quick play for a few days, especially since I can identify things I'm actively loving up (for instance not being able to convert his ws3 launch in a match) I'm leaving a lot of guaranteed damage on the table across the board so I'll tighten that up. I find giving yourself objectives is good too. For instance, trying to land fengs 13 frame shoulder punish as much as possible, or when in heat not use his 3+4 move which is a bit of a crutch and work on chipping and using the heat ender. Stuff like that.

I was going to say this because I'm in the exact same place. Once I got to destroyer and started bumping up against red ranks some of them were the same kind of players as in orange but most of the time its someone clearly a lot more experienced than I am who will wipe the floor with me if I don't play careful and I was getting demoralized. so yeah I have just been hitting quickplay and trying to focus on the things I'm weak at instead of trying to win.

the main things I do need to work on (and these are very common things I assume and if you're hitting a wall these are probably things you should be looking at in your own play) are
#1 most important is just being more patient if I start getting overwhelmed and trying to keep my guard up until they whiff or overcommit to a string which I block and punish because most string enders are generally unsafe. In general I try to interrupt strings to much and its a habit I need to get gone
#2 Not overcommitting to strings and getting better to reacting to if they block the safe first hit or two of a string or if those land so I can do the followups
#3 I rely on wr attacks to gapclose too much, I need to get better at just stepping in and learning the proper spacing for either staying just out of easy reach for them waiting to punish a whiff or finding a time to get in with a dash jab to break their flow and take my turn back
#4 throw breaks, I'm trying not to stress on this too hard because consistently breaking throws is really loving hard and that's just something that is going to take time and I can't let the fact that I'm bad it now frustrate me
#5 Victor just like, in general. I've seen and fought against victors enough that I should have an idea of what I can look to punish but I just can't read this dudes moves. the teleports and flashy stuff just shut down my brain and I can't deal with him and I loving hate victor. it was the same with noctis in 7, him massively expanding his reach by insta-summoning ghost weapons just trips my brain up

in regards to feeling stuck only being able to do safe things and frustrated, that's just how tekken is once you get to a certain skill level and part of improving is accepting that you can't throw around the big fun moves as much as you want. If you're getting overwhelmed you need to focus more on what they are doing and looking for an opening to just get in a quick poke to break their momentum instead of trying to think of what big dick move in your arsenal you can try to try and catch them off guard or something.

idk I'm kind of rambling but point is these are the parts I'm struggling with and maybe reading this will be helpful to someone

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

on the subject of overcommitting to strings: if you're playing Kuma you need to stop mashing that 1 button. yeah I see you. if that second swing is blocked you're at like -16 or something and the third one is even worse for you. Don't hit 1 again if you're not pretty drat certain the followups are going to connect or else you're probably getting launched. 2,1 is a lot safe to poke with and its got that low ender you can toss in to get them blocking low so you can hopefully get them to duck into a df2,1

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Revisiting tekken 7 feels so off now after 8

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

It's a habit I'm trying to get out of as well

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Start every round with an unblockable and hope they're the kind of player whose brain shuts down when they see you winding up (like me)

:unsmigghh:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I've had barely any time to play working like 12-16 hour days, but I got some time to sit down last night and tekken is still good

:same: tomorrow is my first day off in a minute so I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I've played a little but not very successfully, brains been too tired. Thinking of picking up Steve because I enjoy learning new characters and I like boxing. Also I saw the k-wiss vid on the ~new tech~ of canceling lion heart stance into peakaboo

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

People putting the bears at absolute bottom tier hurts my soul, I feel like they're better than that. I am biased though, as I love da bearz

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I have a big paycheck coming in and am on the fence about getting a hitbox. It feels like an easy way to get a leg up but otoh I am an ~honorable player~ type hence the hesitation

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Shaheen #3 that's my boy!!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I assume the low win rates for characters like that is due to people picking them with the assumption they don't have to actually learn the character very well and expecting to mash buttons and get carried by a strong character

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

With my job I don't get much time to play, pros have all day to learn every nuance of their characters

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I was going to post earlier that fighting nina is real scary, she's def S tier in the right hands

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Genuinely, i know Kaz has his strggles in this game but... how do you stand back up against a Kazuya player who is well aware that steel pedal is the best oki move in the game and will do it shamelessly over and over?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Also I will never not hit rematch anyone who doesn't is a coward

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Getting people to ragequit/ plug in quick matches with Shaheen now. No, DVJ and King are not free wins you fools

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Who plugs in quick match though :psyduck:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I hit 9 death fists in a row on a guy and double perfected him and I've seen him twice in quick play and he plugs at the beginning of every match now lol

lol

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Every once in awhile if there's space to do it safely I'll ki charge in hopes of landing like Shaheen's 4, 1 as a free counterhit launch but thats rare

But yeah bm from other people drains a lot of the fun

Revins fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 10, 2024

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Still thinking about the day I saw this, "Why did people stop playing her" indeed lol

Jfc lol

Lidia is cool though and it sucks when fighting game characters only show up in one game so I'm glad for her return. Josie will remain the most forgotten tekken char though

Been doing ranked again, starting to hold my own better in red rank hell. I've realized I struggle against super defensive players though which is getting frustrating

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Ngl I had my spirit broken by a Kaz the other night, idk how dude was still in red ranks. Crazy good defense, took no risks, blew me up for any tiny mistake. Broke 100% of throws, was throwing perfect electrics every time. At the end of the last round I just let him steel pedal me to death. I then blew up the next 3 people because that kaz got me playing at a higher level

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Learning you can combo off of ch f+3 on Shaheen was huge for me, so I'm putting that info out. (You follow with d3 > snk 2)

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

OxMan posted:

I think Lidia is going to suck in some Reina enjoyers on top of that. Seeing Reinas less makes me want to pick her up more. I started dabbling in Lili and she's ok but reinas buttons are just funner to press.

Yeah I found Reina fun as gently caress at launch but haven't played her for months now, been thinking about brushing up on her. Or Kaz, I played him in 7 to get back into the series in december. Mishimas are fun. Not gonna play dvj ever tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I'm slowly clawing my way through red ranks and I'm happy I even got that far. I hadn't played more than a couple matches of fighting games online prior to buying tekken 7 on a whim in december and I have a lot of childhood tekken habits kicking around from button mashing as a kid in 2 + 3 that I struggle with. Like doing the spring kick waaayyy too much